As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited October 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Remember these guys?

Q1owwg6.jpg

They aren't dead!

They are still around and riffing on movies just like the old days, minus the robots and (in the case of Rifftrax) silhouettes. They're bringing back MST3K! Assuming the Kickstarter campaign makes it to $2 million.

Mystery Science Theater 3000!

gnY3YVm.jpg

I can't link to the Kickstarter due to the forum rules, but they're already up to almost $1.4 million, or just over half a million away from being funded for three episodes, and with 29 days to go, it looks like they're going to meet their goal.

Rifftrax

teIdnFw.jpg

Helmed by Mike Nelson, Rifftrax went from a solo riffing operation to a "Mike Nelson + celebrity guest" operation to "Yay Kevin and Bill are back with Mike again!" operation.

MKB_Group_Photo_w.jpg

Rifftrax is the far more prolific of the two MST3K spinoffs with just tons of movies and shorts to choose from. They typically do commentary for modern releases.

After MST3K, Mike Nelson pondered releasing DVDs of movies with his own commentary on the top, but after discussing the concept with lawyers realized he would be "sued out of existence" in very short order. A brainwave hit and he realized that he could release the commentary separately and completely independently of movies, which could be purchased as their own product as usual.

The rest is history, and Rifftrax now almost always features Mike, Kevin (Tom Servo for most of the show's run) and Bill (Crow T. Robot from the SciFi era). Occasionally a special guest will feature on a Rifftrax commentary; these have included Weird Al, Fred Willard, Neil Patrick Harris, Chad Vader, and others.

Want a taste?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-QoeQixlw

Cinematic Titanic

cinematic-titanic-pic.jpg

The brainchild of Joel Hodgson, the original creator of MST3K and host for the first 100 episodes. Joel fills an entirely different niche by continuing the tradition of MST3K and obtaining the rights to very old movies to release a singular product.

tumblr_mehmxzaKNy1r8i2fmo1_500.jpg

Cinematic Titanic is Trace Beaulieu (the original Crow), J. Elvis Weinstein (the original Tom Servo), Frank Conniff (TV's Frank) and Mary Jo Pehl (Pearl Forrester).

CT has more of a live show focus than Rifftrax does (although the latter certainly does perform live), and their releases are far more sparse.

And here's a sample from the very first episode of CT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ0eAPAzvm4

It's been a while since our last bad movie thread (not that everything that gets the RT/CT treatment is bad). My wife and I binged through the Twilight Saga on Rifftrax (because I don't think I could have watched those movies any other way) and I highly recommend it. It was nonstop uproarious laughter for 10+ hours.

The Room is another I would suggest watching if you haven't. Again, painful without RT, amazing with it.

Sadly, I am just now getting around to watching a bunch of these even though MST3K is my favorite show of all time. If you have other recommendations, I would gladly take you up on them. The Rifftrax catalog in particular is kind of daunting!

joshofalltrades on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was going to make a new thread but then I remembered that I made a perfectly good thread for this discussion already!

Right now I'm hovering at "cautiously optimistic" for this show. I'm fine with change, but I'll definitely miss Kevin Murphy's voice as Tom Servo. Although wild speculation lately has been that Felicia Day may be the new Mad, due to similarities in the silhouette and the fact that she's pimping the Kickstarter on Twitter. That would make me a little giddy, if it's true, but I'm not going to hold out a lot of hope for it.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" camp as well. I'm okay with the idea of new onscreen people, though it's disappointing that apparently no one other than Joel will be involved creatively or even cameo: Mike (who referred to himself as just a "hired gun" in MST3K's history when asked if he was involved with reboot ), Kevin, Bill, Trace (who was weirdly terse and cold about it), and Josh Weinstein are saying they won't be involved (not sure about Frank, but I'm assuming no since he's currently doing stuff with Trace).

I've enjoyed the Rifftrax I've heard, but there's such an insane amount out there that it's hard at times to find out what's good. I've enjoyed The Happening, The Room, Birdemic, Jack the Giant Killer, and their re-riffs of Manos and Santa Claus. Their short collections have been great as well.

Captain Tragedy on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" camp as well. I'm okay with the idea of new onscreen people, though it's disappointing that apparently no one other than Joel will be involved creatively or even cameo: Mike (who referred to himself as just a "hired gun" in MST3K's history when asked if he was involved with reboot ), Kevin, Bill, Trace (who was weirdly terse and cold about it), and Josh Weinstein are saying they won't be involved (not sure about Frank, but I'm assuming no since he's currently doing stuff with Trace).

I've enjoyed the Rifftrax I've heard, but there's such an insane amount out there that it's hard at times to find out what's good. I've enjoyed The Happening, The Room, Birdemic, Jack the Giant Killer, and their re-riffs of Manos and Santa Claus. Their short collections have been great as well.

Actually I thought part of what Joel was going to do was see how much the Kickstarter earned, and use that money to try and get as much of the original writing staff and cast back as possible?

edited November 2015
    Joel said that, but each of the writers/cast I listed said they wouldn't be involved when asked. Mike and Trace especially seemed to be uninterested in even a cameo.

Captain Tragedy on
    Yeah, Mike has Rifftrax and that's going well for him. He doesn't make any money off of the MST3K brand since he doesn't own any of it, so it's not really worth his time.

I would be really surprised if Mary Jo Pehl didn't eventually do something with this, though. And among all the wild speculation that's happening right now, people think the silhouette of the new Mad looks like Felicia Day (who pimped the Kickstarter on her Twitter). And that would just be completely amazing (although I'm not getting my hopes up).

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm in the cautious camp too. The basic format of the show is really hard to mess up if they have some good writers. I'm hoping they get a nice balance of obscure references/snark/randomness that the best of MST3k had. As I've said elsewhere, I think later Mst3k and Rifftrax starts drifting into snark for snark's sake and it really isn't as much fun. This is real obvious on the Rifftrax where they're doing it for a relatively good movie like LOTR and the Matrix. But the shorts are their strongest because they're prime riff fodder of weirdness, campiness, and trimmed of all the fat. I think if they embrace it being MST3K:TNG it can be good, the show itself had a ton of turnover already so I don't think a cast change up is huge. On the other hand, I think it would be nice if they can get some of the old crew in the writers room, just to get that old voice down. Also I hope they get good voice actors for Tom and Crow, and not just people who sound like the old bots, a lot of the fun of Servo was Kevin Murphy being able to sing at the drop of a hat.

edited November 2015
    They're about 79% of the way to their goal for 3 episodes.

Also, Joel just posted this to answer a lot of the questions and concerns people have.

tl;dr:
    • Kickstarting a show is expensive, yo
    • Invitations will be officially extended to all former cast and writing staff once the Kickstarter finishes
    • The old cast wasn't adequately compensated for their roles in the original MST3K, but Joel hopes to fix that this time
    • Joel doesn't want to make a show that just panders to nostalgia, he wants to bring in new talent
    • Joel's vision for MST3K originally was more of a "Doctor Who" thing, where the host would switch out frequently, but the show was cancelled so they only ever had 2 hosts (This is weird to me because the show ran for a very long time, and Joel didn't just leave the hosting duties, he left the show)
    • The complaining about the host and Mad changing in this reboot are very reminiscent of the complaining when Mike took over hosting, or when Kevin took over Servo
    • Joel wants to do some cameos from the old cast, including letting the robots have "software glitches and boot up with their older personalities"
    • Rifftrax is great because it is a way of riffing movies they never would be able to afford the rights to, Cinematic Titanic had a focus on live riffing. MST3K is MST3K. It fits a different niche, and there is room for all these shows.

joshofalltrades on
    This week's Entertainment Weekly (Star Wars on cover) has an article that states the cast (if everything works out) is most likely
    Felicia Day as a Mad, and Jonah Ray, Baron Vaughn, and Hampton Yount as the crew.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I recently did a marathon of all the Red Letter Media commentary tracks. They're a buncha fun. Best one is probably AvP or Nightmare on Elm Street.

Never watched MST3000 but I guess it was the precursor to this kinda thing? Are there any must watch movies of it? :D

Oh brilliant
    edited November 2015
    Oh dear lord yes

Space Mutiny
    Puma Man
    Manos: the Hands of Fate (after you're acclimated to the show format, this movie is uniquely awful)
    Werewolf
    Mitchell
    Riding With Death
    Soultaker
    Eegah!
    The Brain That Wouldn't Die

So many more

EDIT: If you want to see what this crew can do with more modern movies, check out the Rifftrax for the Twilight movies, they're all stellar

joshofalltrades on
    Also Felicia Day being the new Mad would make me so fucking giddy

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I love MST3K possibly too much. I look forward to the massive complaint threads about any and all changes to a show that defines my childhood. Let the camp and strangeness flow.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Oh dear lord yes

Space Mutiny
    Puma Man
    Manos: the Hands of Fate (after you're acclimated to the show format, this movie is uniquely awful)
    Werewolf
    Mitchell
    Riding With Death
    Soultaker
    Eegah!
    The Brain That Wouldn't Die

So many more

EDIT: If you want to see what this crew can do with more modern movies, check out the Rifftrax for the Twilight movies, they're all stellar

More to add to the list:

Pod People
    Monster A-Go-Go
    Master Ninja 1
    Santa Claus
    Operation Double 007
    San Francisco International
    Red Zone Cuba
    Time Chasers
    The Touch of Satan
    The Final Sacrifice
    Merlin's Shop Of Mystical Wonders
    Final Justice
    Diabolik (This was the final episode)

And yeah, even more than those too!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    They got an assload in the first couple days but now the donations seem to have slowed down dramatically. I was hopeful they would get enough to do a full 12 episodes, but now it looks like we will be lucky to see more than 3. Time will tell.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    It's basically the way all Kickstarters of this type go: huge surge in the first few days, large drop to a low level for much of the middle (usually with a few spikes due to bits of publicity/news in between), and then another surge at the end. I think it will get to the 6 episode mark - dunno about beyond that.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not concerned about them hitting the $2M number. Getting to the stretch goals is a legit question, though.

Well, they're more than 9/10 of the way to being in confirmed "funded" status. I'm gonna go ahead and say there's no way they get to a full 12 episodes. Hopefully they at least get 6 and somebody picks them up for more.

I have to say, in the last time since I checked Rifftrax, they have added a dizzying amount of stuff. To the point where I think they'd be better served adding some kind of subscription plan. There's 550 episodes of things

Jonah Ray is officially the new host. Still no word on the Mad yet.

edited November 2015
    I have to say, in the last time since I checked Rifftrax, they have added a dizzying amount of stuff. To the point where I think they'd be better served adding some kind of subscription plan. There's 550 episodes of things

Yeah, I've been looking for some good "best tracks" lists or suggestions, since the catalog is so ridiculously huge at this point I have no idea what to get (which usually ends with me getting nothing). I'm just interested in Mike/Kevin/Bill stuff, rather than guest ones or ones with just 1 or 2 guys.

Captain Tragedy on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    "Finally, if we raise $1 BILLION – stay with me on this one – we’re going to adopt a real live teenage boy and “Truman Show” him into believing he is the Pumaman!"

Rooting for this one.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Joel said that, but each of the writers/cast I listed said they wouldn't be involved when asked. Mike and Trace especially seemed to be uninterested in even a cameo.

Trace was at Gen Con this year and while he had a Crow robot with him (I believe it may even have been an actual screen-used Crow and not just a copy); he was tangibly not eager to discuss the show to the point where it felt very awkward talking to him, so I just did a "Thanks, gotta go, good luck bye" and got out of there. Very much "Yes thanks for watching but that's in the past, let's talk about something else."

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular

Yeah, I've been looking for some good "best tracks" lists or suggestions, since the catalog is so ridiculously huge at this point I have no idea what to get (which usually ends with me getting nothing). I'm just interested in Mike/Kevin/Bill stuff, rather than guest ones or ones with just 1 or 2 guys.

My top 3 VODs would be Super Mario Bros., Ghost House, and Future Zone. As for normal Riffs, The Room, Birdemic, and Star Wars Holiday Special.

Having rewatched MST3K more, it's easier to remember the ones that really stand out, where as with Rifftrax I haven't seen a lot of them more than once to form a stronger opinion on which ones hold up well.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This peaked my interest, but I think a substantial chunk of the talent that made MST3K work so long is with Rifftrax. Credit where credit is due, Joel came up with the idea and made it happen, but I think the Rifftrax guys are funnier. With the weird feud they have going, I'll spend my money with RT.

What is this I don't even.
    I've seen the Twilight Rifftrax more than once and they hold up just as good as any of the classic MSTs.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    There's a vendetta between MST3K and RiffTrax? Why?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Nah they seem to get along quite well.

They announced today that there are rewards for helping make their goal before a week has elapsed. Cue a bunch of people rushing to give them money. They're less than $35K away from their $2M goal.

edited November 2015
    And it's official! We have a new season of MST3K movie sign!

joshofalltrades on
    There's a vendetta between MST3K and RiffTrax? Why?

It can't be too big of a rift, since I just got an email from Rifftrax tonight linking to the Kickstarter.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Best Rifftrax B-Movie list:
    R.O.T.O.R. - Wonderfully awful. Starts a bit slow but has great riffs and so many WTF moments. It's not only bad but pompous and completely unaware how bad it actually is.
    Future Zone and Future Force - David Carradine in full beer-belly-I-don't-give-a-fuck-where's-my-check-mode. Fashion that's hilariously bad even for the 80s. David Winters (Space Mutiny) directing. Nuff said.
    Warriors of the Wasteland - Shitty 80s italian Mad Max rip off. Stormtroopers with shoulder boobs and codpieces. The lamest looking "vehicles" ever. Transparent muscle armor. Fred Williamson.
    Hawk the Slayer - This is what used to pass for fantasy back in the 80s. Jack Palance chewing through scenery like a chainsaw. Gross dwarf who whips old men. Elfbot 9000. Disco fantasy soundtrack.
    Guy from Harlem - Ultra terrible Blacksploitation flick with some of the worst flubbed lines ever. The dialog often makes no sense as either no one memorized their lines or there wasn't a script to begin with. And it all takes place in Florida. The guy's just from Harlem.
    Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny - It's actually impossible to describe this "movie." I put quotes there as it's actually two movies very poorly glued together (a different set of credits starts about a third of the way in). I'm not going to try to describe what it's actually about but I will warn anyone on psychoactive substances to stay far away from this movie as your brain may in fact melt while trying to watch it.

Felicia Day is the new Mad!

Hype Level: Omega

Pretty excited, I think those new Tom and Crow guys will do a great job once they can settle in, so I'm really hoping this makes it all the way. Joel has been coy about how these episodes are actually going to be broadcast, I think he wants to sell them to a network so that it can be seen again, although I think selling it to the Netflix/Hulu/Amazon guys would be a better idea because I can't see networks wanting to offer up 2 hours of ad time again for the show.

Netflix is basically my ideal situation for this, but I would settle for Hulu. I'm really hoping it's not a DVD/Blu-Ray only thing, but I'll suck it up and buy them individually if I have to.

And it's nice to see a little more diversity in the cast. The new Servo voice is a bit jarring, but hopefully I can adjust over time.

After watching Felicia Day in that video my suspicions that she was perfect for the role were immediately confirmed.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I saw Baron Vaughn perform a couple of times, he's very energetic and charismatic so he should be great.

I'm going to have to look up some of his stuff, but I can already tell that the cast is getting more comfortable in their roles than in the earliest videos.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    The most important part of portraying Tom Servo is making sure he feels pretty, oh so pretty inside.

For Crow, most important is a deep seated hatred of all things not made of Molybdenum.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    gavindel wrote: »
    The most important part of portraying Tom Servo is making sure he feels pretty, oh so pretty inside.

For Crow, most important is a deep seated hatred of all things not made of Molybdenum.

I loved Corbett's angry crow. Trace's dry, laid-back, sarcastic crow was also great, but sometimes it was cathartic seeing someone respond to a bad movie with appropriate disgust.

I'm unfortunately not in a place where I can watch. Are they using any of the new actors or is it just Joel hosting?

Just Joel.

So far, we've had Outlaw and Eegah.