As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Play [SPELUNKY 2] With Us Every Day Until You Die | kill a mole with a rock

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    What up gents! Yesterday's daily was a thing.
    xo5isag59v4i.png
    Personal best, first Yama kill (where I remembered to exit the level), and #18. Very happy about having that red gem in the door now.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    What's the strategy for bringing the Ghost into Olmec or Yama?

In today's daily I destroyed four Altars. I think there was 3 in the Ice caves so I destroyed all those. I got the ball and chain twice and got rid of it into the abyss.
    There was an Altar in 4-3 and I destroyed that too, got rid of the ball and chain in some lava.
    Do I need to keep the ball and chain for the ghost to follow me or it doesn't apply in the Daily Challenge?

I had always thought it was only 3 altars for permaghost but maybe I'm not doing it right.

I finished third in the end up there were a lot of gems in Olmec's layer that would have been nice for ghosting.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    You have to keep the ball and chain for the ghost to stay but if you destroy it on that level the ghost stays for that level.
    What you can do in that situation is bring the ghost to Olmec, have him crush it and hope for an Altar in Hell.

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    You have to keep the ball and chain for the ghost to stay but if you destroy it on that level the ghost stays for that level.
    What you can do in that situation is bring the ghost to Olmec, have him crush it and hope for an Altar in Hell.

Thanks. I'll know for next time.
    I've never really tried bringing in the ghost permanently before and it just kind of happened in the end when a UFO blew up the third altar on me in the Ice Caves.
    I figured it stayed around even when the Ball and Chain was destroyed.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So after around 500 deaths on PS3 I bought Spelunky on PC. Far smoother gameplay+pro HUD = first kill on Yama after about 3 hours. Pretty happy about that one. Now for all the fancy shit.

JAEF on
  • Options
    JAEF wrote: »
    So after around 500 deaths on PS3 I bought Spelunky on PC. Far smoother gameplay+pro HUD = first kill on Yama after about 3 hours. Pretty happy about that one. Now for all the fancy shit.

The Pro HUD should be available on the Vita/PS3 version now too the last few weeks.
    The next update is meant to bring it to the PS4 and add some sort of replay feature that you can share on the leaderboard.
    But it does much play smoother on PC compared to the Vita and PS3. There's a big framerate drop on the Vita when you are Ghosting the Ice caves while snowing or ghosting the City of Gold.

Today's daily on PC has a pretty good seed. Jetpacks and lots of Bombs once you hit the Black market. Finished 4th with about $1.8m+
    If I blew up the Altar on 5-2 I could have brought the Ghost into Yama but getting through 5-3 with the Ball & Chain just felt too risky.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Spelunky SD!
    2 player online co-op mode has been added to Spelunky Classic (open source) by Vadim, an Ukrainian programmer.
    Other small tweaks from the HD remake have been added too.
    Download site

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    "Online co-op" Oh. So it's got better co-op. Great.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Co-op can be pretty funny, although mostly it's better when you're right there with the other person.

• Options
    Yes, but on PC, that isn't really the most feasable thing in the world, now is it?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It depends on your PC setup.

• Options
    Not one that is attached to a TV.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    RayinerRayiner Registered User regular
    Say hello.

• Options
    Not sure if others are interested but Derek Yu was on the Playstation twitch channel streaming co-op Spelunky for Extra Life charity. It might be archived.

Anyone try the PS4 port since it was released? The replay in the daily challenge is neat but I find the controls super sensitive right now.
    I play with the analogue stick for most actions and there's zero deadzone so the tiniest touch and you and moving.
    Hopefully it get's tweaked a bit.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    A while back I was just messing around totally failing to do e-sports style speed runs when a ridiculous bounce of a exploding frog revealed the Black Market entrance. Had to be the craziest thing I've seen in my Spelunky play.

Sadly instead of just using it to make for a faster run, I took it as a sign that I should loot it, but I should try to loot it really fast. It didn't go well.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Haven't touched this game in forever but it's still fun! Damn, just took me ~870 deaths but I finally reached the city of gold just now. Didn't have any bombs left though so I missed the buddha guy. :/ And then a little tiki/crush combo occured just after that... I do think the run was my gold hi-score @200k+ though.

• Options
    I still find myself playing it a couple of days a week.
    I don't always do the daily every day any more but jump in every once in a while if I think I can reach the top.
    Sometimes I just like to fire it up and try and better my speedrun time.

Hopefully they'll bring the improvements added to the Playstation version over to the steam version.
    You can see ghosts of your friends who died in the daily and where, plus watch their replay.
    The controls still don't feel right on the PS4 build though. The character is too twitchy and seems to stick to ladders.

• Options
    I started playing a little more now, replacing D3 as my "zoned-out routine game". Managed an iron-man run för the first time ever yesterday and had 60+ bombs. 14 life and every fucking item except the jetpack when I came to the ice caves... Then I wholly forget the maui statue and miss the gold city hat but oh well, still a best-of run.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Had a really hilarious death just now. Was speedrunning a bit out of boredom and ran into yet another spike pit with vines. As I leaped to the next vine a red frog that had jumped into the the spike pit above me exploded and destroyed the vine leaving me to fall into the spikes.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    @Rhesus Positive

I'm not stalking you I swear but since you're the only other person on my friend list playing the dailies I've been watching your runs, and every once in a while I come upon your ghost in the game

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Rhesus Positive

I'm not stalking you I swear but since you're the only other person on my friend list playing the dailies I've been watching your runs, and every once in a while I come upon your ghost in the game

Cool - that makes me feel better about watching your runs, although in my case it's to improve as opposed to in your case in which I can only assume it's a form of blooper reel

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Nah, I just like seeing what you do differently. I made some really poor decisions in yesterday's.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Today's Daily on PSN was fucking ridiculous. I ended up with the number 1 spot on level 3-1 with just over $100K, which is stupid low, but still about $30K higher than anyone else.

There are no bombs. Don't even think you're getting any bombs. All of the crates have ropes. And if you want the Eye in the caves, good luck! It's tucked away behind two bullshit arrow traps that I barely avoided, and you'll need at least two bombs to get to both of them.

Then there's a dark level, and the Jungle funnels you down paths that don't go near the black market. So you'll never find it unless you get lucky with your likely last bomb before the ice caves.

Don't take my word for it. Test your luck! See if you can do what I could not!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Lol? Dailys are usually well above millions, millions and millions. :)
    Good on you "beating" some weird once-in-a-lifetime hardmode seed tho

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Lol? Dailys are usually well above millions, millions and millions. :)
    Good on you "beating" some weird once-in-a-lifetime hardmode seed tho

I'm being completely serious. If you have the PSN version of the game you should play this today. I need somebody else to know what kind of bullshit it was.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Ugh i've moved out recently and left my PC behind, and i've got Spelunky withdrawal. I wish they'd release Spelunky HD on Mac...

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    My internet went down the other night while doing a Daily, and after it failed to upload my score to the leaderboard it asked if I wanted to try the level again...so I did. It was weird to play a Spelunky seed identical to the last one, because now I knew where traps were. It was weird, but cool.

Also, what happens if you beat a Daily level in less than 20 seconds and the next one is supposed to be a dark level? Does it still go dark?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Fuck yes

Finally beat Olmec's Head, thanks to a combination of royal jelly, not getting a decent opportunity to kill a shopkeeper, and missing the black market altogether :D

• Options
    Grats man! Glad I'm not the only one still enjoying this game. I got the girlfriend addicted to it. At first she thought it was awful and bullshit, but I made her keep trying and now it's practically all she does if she has a free moment. She's always got the Vita on standby for if she has a free moment.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I really need to pick up this game again, I've still never made it past the head, even though I cleared the City of Gold once.

• Options
    Uuuuuh, is game progress stored in the goddamn install folder? Re-installed because this thread reminded me of the game and all my unlocks are gone, time4tutorial when starting up the game.

• Options
    Yeah I think it is. I've played on a few different machines and afaik the progress wasn't cloud synchronized.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, Spelunky does not use cloud saves, unfortunately. Quite unfortunate.

• Options
    Turns out that if you're under one of those dropping platforms in the ice caves, you will get crushed

Motherfucker

• Options
    Turns out that if you're under one of those dropping platforms in the ice caves, you will get crushed

Motherfucker

I learned that lesson the hard way the very first time I got there. Immediately after getting there, I hung onto the edge of a dropping platform that looked like I would be safe if it did, in fact, fall, only for me to be instagibbed as it did so.

I had to put the game down for a while. It took me about two months to get to the ice caves and then dying instantly was discouraging.

• Options
    I had 27 bombs, jet pack, spiky and springy shoes, gloves, and I had all the kit to get into the Golden City, too.

My best score is currently 10001 on the leader board; I think if I play for another few hundred deaths, I might just crack the top 10000

• Options
    Are you turning gems to Diamonds? It's a little boring but do that for a few levels and it will probably bring you up much higher on the leaderboard.

• Options
    I had a run in the daily last night where I got the jetpack in the second level and ghosted everything

I had dozens of bombs too

I got cocky because I had 500,000+ points so I went to the mothership

I got all the way to the top and got greedy while shooting at the giant alien there, ended up reflecting bullets back into my face

I was so upset, I would've cracked the top 3 if I had just been a bit more patient

• Options
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Are you turning gems to Diamonds? It's a little boring but do that for a few levels and it will probably bring you up much higher on the leaderboard.

Wot

• Options
    DaxterMax wrote: »

Wot

Lead the ghost through gems

They turn into diamonds, which are worth $5000 apiece

High risk, high reward

At least until you can kite the ghost reliably