As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well this season they actually remembered to try not to murder the people so that's cool. So far this season has been really good. It's unnerving.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I want them to open the cage only because I want to see more Mark Pellegrino Lucifer.

Good actor, but I don't think there's anything left of that vessel for Lucifer to inhabit unless they just handwave the fact that he was disintegrating at the end.

I think they might be willing to brush that off for a fan-favorite actor, which is honestly okay by me. IIRC Abaddon's body was destroyed by Sam, but people liked Alaina Huffman so they just had her body restored in a magic demon ritual.

I was able to restore the vessel and modify it to my liking in the cage or something could work.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm trying to choke my way through season 8, and I can't say I'm feeling it. After season 7 Sam I'd hoped that season 8 Sam wouldn't be terrible but they always seem to find a new flavor of douche for him to play. They probably should have killed him off and replaced him with Benny TBH.

(if nothing else, it would put that haircut out of its misery. Oh, and just how exactly did Dean get such a fabulous tan in Puragtory?)

Regina Fong on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Sorry did you just say
    they killed Death?

So glad I threw my arms up and walked away after s7.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »
    Sorry did you just say
    they killed Death?

So glad I threw my arms up and walked away after s7.

Season 8 has had some OK individual episodes so far. For what that's worth. The same is true of 6 and 7 though. I'll probably keep slogging through it for the occasional funny/good monster of the week episodes but there's really no denying that the show played out its 'mythology' at the end of season 5. Killing death sounds silly though. I clearly haven't reached that point in the series yet.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Re: Death
    IIRC, Dean had grabbed Death's Scythe and used it on him as Death was offering to transport him far away so the mark of Cain wouldn't cause him to kill his brother.

I still watch out of sheer inertia at this point (my partner still likes the show). The current season is comparatively (to anything else after season 5) good though.

The biggest "miss" to me was the Leviathans. If you are going to introduce Eldritch monsters at least take the time to do them right.

Nobody wrote: »
    Re: Death
    IIRC, Dean had grabbed Death's Scythe and used it on him as Death was offering to transport him far away so the mark of Cain wouldn't cause him to kill his brother.

I still watch out of sheer inertia at this point (my partner still likes the show). The current season is comparatively (to anything else after season 5) good though.

The biggest "miss" to me was the Leviathans. If you are going to introduce Eldritch monsters at least take the time to do them right.

I felt like playing the leviathans as humorous over-the-top corporate bad guys was just a bit too silly personally. I get what they were going for, but it was a swing and a miss for me. It also contrasted with Bobby's death and subsequent ghost storyline in a very not good way. Evaporating the pathos from what should have been some of the most emotional episodes.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Yeah, functionally the Leviathans weren't any different from Demons other than the fact that were much harder to kill.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was disappointing to me. I can understand wanting to do the corporate parody thing, but they ended up feeling mostly the same as demons.

You remember that bit when they first took Cas over? "This is gonna be fun," I think? I wanted them to stay in that place. Just have the Leviathans be completely alien, insane, ancient monsters tearing through everything because they can, with not a single fuck to give.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Supernatural post-s5 spent too much time trying to be Buffy, forgetting that they're not the same show and never had the same tone.

I wish they would've gone whole-hog with tyrannical god-Cas for a season, then had the cthulhuesque Leviathans take over after.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Cas as God was simply too wonderful for the Supernatural universe. The other shoe had to fall real quick on that one.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Ahahahahaha, that elevator scene :D

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Very fillerish episode. Not bad, but y'know.

Also, I laughed pretty hard at that final scene.
    Sam - I think we need to open the Cage.

Dean - No, we will not open the Cage.

Sam - Okay, we won't open the Cage. ...I opened the Cage.

H9f4bVe.png
    Hmm well, I was ambivalent about parts of season 8 but the finale was really good.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Hmm well, I was ambivalent about parts of season 8 but the finale was really good.

I disagree a lot, since it did the "we're brothers and we'll always be together" trope for the billionth time and it set up the unprecedented suck that was season 9.

Season 9 is the one where I slogged it through to the end and then just gave the fuck up.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I gave up at the end of season 5.

I don't know, if i should respect the conviction of people that still watch it, or be terrified, considering all negative opinions about pretty much every season beyond 5.

Asthariel wrote: »
    I gave up at the end of season 5.

I don't know, if i should respect the conviction of people that still watch it, or be terrified, considering all negative opinions about pretty much every season beyond 5.

The thing about the first five seasons is that it felt like it was culminating into a thing, which was revealed to be a fight to the death between an archangel and the devil with humanity as colaterol damage.

After that, it just kind of feels like a combination of ridiculous power creep (the brothers don't bat an eye at demons by the end of season 7) and a lack of overarching plot.

And hey, that would be fine if the stories still felt fresh and interesting, but at this point I'm tired of seeing sam and dean go through yet another trumped up trust issues arc that is ultimately overcome by their love for each other.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Aren't demons supposed to be quite physically strong? I know they're hunters and all but I don't feel like they should be winning fist fights. Especially 3 on 1 fights.

Magus` wrote: »
    Aren't demons supposed to be quite physically strong? I know they're hunters and all but I don't feel like they should be winning fist fights. Especially 3 on 1 fights.

Good thing they have a trunk full of angel blades.

Gaddez wrote: »

I disagree a lot, since it did the "we're brothers and we'll always be together" trope for the billionth time and it set up the unprecedented suck that was season 9.

Season 9 is the one where I slogged it through to the end and then just gave the fuck up.

Trope? I think not. That's called a "central theme". It would be weird and atonal if it weren't invoked in climactic scenes between the two brothers.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Originally, then they become weaker and weaker and more stupid. They're not simply physical tough, they're got decent telekinesis.

Harry Dresden on

Trope? I think not. That's called a "central theme". It would be weird and atonal if it weren't invoked in climactic scenes between the two brothers.

I get that it's about them as brothers, but when ultimately you are just retreading the same ground over and over again it just winds up being super stale.

Hey that ghost was actually scary this episode. And they solved the problem the good old fashioned way.
    One brother burns the thing while the other gets his ass kicked by the ghost as a distraction.

Definitely a filler episode, but still pretty good. The sheriff is hilarious too.

I get that it's about them as brothers, but when ultimately you are just retreading the same ground over and over again it just winds up being super stale.

I get that believe me, I do. It's perfectly OK to be done with the show because it's gotten repetitive.

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    It seems kind of obvious that
    the person who fights the Darkness is Lucifer, the bringer of Light.

This season has been much better than it has any right to be.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this season so far has had pretty great, quality writing. Here's hoping they keep it up :)

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I hate this season.

Its giving me hope for better writing and story, and I know its just going to stab me in the heart.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I hate this season.

Its giving me hope for better writing and story, and I know its just going to stab me in the heart.

I'm at a weird crossroads where if the show gets good again, my OCD will make me watch all the between seasons to catch up to watch the new stuff.... so I almost don't want it to get good again, because I don't want to slog through all those bad episodes.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    I hate this season.

I'm at a weird crossroads where if the show gets good again, my OCD will make me watch all the between seasons to catch up to watch the new stuff.... so I almost don't want it to get good again, because I don't want to slog through all those bad episodes.

God, no, why would you do that to yourself.

If you want to kill yourself theres easier ways to go about it

edited November 2015
    "Baby" was ridiculously good.
    And God finally makes an appearance post season 5, unless you count the Chuck cameo at the end of "Fan Fiction".

Regina Fong on
    So anyway I'm all caught up on SPN now and I got to thinking. In the second episode this season that reaper Billie shows up at the end and gives a dire threat to Sam, about how as punishment for killing Death, Sam and Dean will be taken to an "emptiness" after they die, which supposedly nothing can escape from. The threat seemed reasonable on its face; reapers be pissed, yo.

But she also made that comment about being "biblically unclean" which was the clue that Sam needed to save himself from the sickness. Furthermore she phrased her threat very specifically as being a "message" which is a turn of phrase that seems to keep cropping up in relation to the Darkness.

I'm thinking that the "emptiness" which the reapers threatened to chuck Sam and Dean into is the place that the Darkness needs to be banished to in order to stop her. Which means that Billie's threat was really the first and possibly most important "message" that the brothers were sent this season.

Whether I'm wrong or not, that particular scene had too much gravity to be a throw away thing that will never be revisited.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So I just started watching the current season, currently watching episode 2, and this shows inability to follow its own cannon is infuriating. I reaper just showed up and told Sam that the whole coming back from the dead thing the Winchesters do is over, that Death allowed it because he thought it was amusing. NO HE DIDNT!!! He said it was freaking annoying several times because of all the extra work it caused him. He even made one of the brothers promise to stop doing it in exchange for something (I can't remember what), and they haven't done it since that I can recall. Hell dimensions and mostly dead yes, but they haven't actually died and come back.

Is it just lazy writing or do the writers have no respect for their viewers anymore? Or are they just that awful at their jobs that they can't be bothered to have watched all of the episodes of their own damn show?

LostNinja wrote: »
    So I just started watching the current season, currently watching episode 2, and this shows inability to follow its own cannon is infuriating. I reaper just showed up and told Sam that the whole coming back from the dead thing the Winchesters do is over, that Death allowed it because he thought it was amusing. NO HE DIDNT!!! He said it was freaking annoying several times because of all the extra work it caused him. He even made one of the brothers promise to stop doing it in exchange for something (I can't remember what), and they haven't done it since that I can recall. Hell dimensions and mostly dead yes, but they haven't actually died and come back.

Is it just lazy writing or do the writers have no respect for their viewers anymore? Or are they just that awful at their jobs that they can't be bothered to have watched all of the episodes of their own damn show?

What Death said to the Winchesters and what he may have said to his reapers are not necessarily the same thing.

The only things we really knew about him are that he was definitely older and more powerful than the other horsemen, he liked junk food, and he wanted to have sex with Dean.

What Death said to the Winchesters and what he may have said to his reapers are not necessarily the same thing.

The only things we really knew about him are that he was definitely older and more powerful than the other horsemen, he liked junk food, and he wanted to have sex with Dean.

That's patently false.

He just wanted to hold Dean close and tenderly stroke his hair.

That's patently false.

We'll never know for sure now!

:(

That's patently false.

As long as pestilence, famine, war and death exist in the world, so too will the horsemen.

Unless they throw their previously established canon out, again. Which isn't unheard of.

That's patently false.

As long as pestilence, famine, war and death exist in the world, so too will the horsemen.

Unless they throw their previously established canon out, again. Which isn't unheard of.

People didn't stop dying just because Death was killed, but the personification of Death is apparently quite dead (at least currently).

And if they start resurrecting characters Death will have to get in line behind Gabe, Bobby, and Benny.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Death was presented as far too savvy a character to die so easily. Then again, who knows at this point.

Death was presented as far too savvy a character to die so easily. Then again, who knows at this point.

In hindsight, handing Dean his scythe and then threatening Sam was extremely stupid. If he had continued to play his starting hand - that he was just here to help and the decision was all up to Dean, it might have worked. But he got pushy.