As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

East 2016 [registration] live!

• Options
    boston_jasonboston_jason Registered User regular
    I scored a 3 day pass but could only get the intercontinental. I will definitely be on the lookout for something closer

Nothing wrong with that hotel. It's maybe a 7 minute walk and arguably nicer than the closer hotels. Rumba is the best bar for a nightcap.

• Options
    CyantCyant Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The REAL reason they have less and less 3 day passes to sell is simple: They make a lot more money selling single days because 105$ vs (3x50$)
    If they say anything to the contrary they are lying.

This will be the first year i'm not going because its getting too crowded, they still have the ridiculous 6h close time for the showfloor and the stupid magic tournaments prize work with tickets (I know not under their control). Plus the outside parties suck now, nothing like the Trion Rift party or the 1 year World of Tank party of yore :)

Cyant on
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    The hotel link asked for a login?

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    Congrats to everyone that got a 3-day pass even if I hate you.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    And then it booted me out. I'm pretty mad right now.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Remember folks- many people's plans change. If you didn't get the hotel you want, check back in on the hotel site later today, or throughout the period before the con and you might get something more ideal.

Edit :Site, not sight. Good lord...I'm better with homonyms than that.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Cyant wrote: »
    The REAL reason they have less and less 3 day passes to sell is simple: They make a lot more money selling single days because 105$ vs (3x50$)

This is why I don't get why the even have 3 day tickets. It's just money being lost by selling them.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    I scored a 3 day pass but could only get the intercontinental. I will definitely be on the lookout for something closer

Nothing wrong with that hotel. It's maybe a 7 minute walk and arguably nicer than the closer hotels. Rumba is the best bar for a nightcap.

Hmmm maybe I will keep it then. I had the Westin last year and enjoyed being able to do game night and then stumble back to my room lol.

• Options
    Remember folks- many people's plans change. If you didn't get the hotel you want, check back in on the hotel sight later today, or throughout the period before the con and you might get something more ideal.
    To add to this, you have a lot of time for bookings. The hotels are the easier part of this whole ordeal. The ones closer to PAX fill up quickly but if you don't mind taking a shuttle, they're just as nice.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cyant wrote: »
    They could charge a whole lot more based on the demand and make a lot more money. This theory does not hold water.

• Options
    VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    THAT WAS THE WORST TIMING!! I was Playing Pikmin 2, so I was 44 minutes late. Just missed 3 day, but got Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Wishes he could change his username
  • Options
    boston_jasonboston_jason Registered User regular

Hmmm maybe I will keep it then. I had the Westin last year and enjoyed being able to do game night and then stumble back to my room lol.

I'm a local - the intercontinental was the only hotel I would ever stay at when I had to spend the night. If you get lucky with the Westin then take it, but really - you can't do much better than the intercontinental and especially at that rate. If I didn't live so close to the venue, I would be staying there.

• Options
    I'm from Canada and not really sure which shipping I should be using...

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular

I would go pickup if it's confusing. Less hassle, less worry, not a huge line. It's directly on the left if you enter from the main entrance. I'll be there too picking up ;)

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    The second I punched out for my break at work I got the notification. Managed to snag a pair of three day tickets! Crazy how fast they went!

• Options
    Keroan wrote: »

I would go pickup if it's confusing. Less hassle, less worry, not a huge line. It's directly on the left if you enter from the main entrance. I'll be there too picking up ;)

I didn't have a lot of time to really fiddle around so I opted for the international....which was $27 GAWD.

• Options
    I went with will-call (aka pickup). I used to have them shipped to my place, but last year's doubling of shipping prices (Used to be $15, jumped to $30...USD), the crappy courier they use (DHL) and my constant fear of forgetting my passes at home led me to try Will-call at Prime this year.

I went to the pickup site (one of the nearby hotels) the day before the con with my receipt and a photo ID and was in and out within 5 min.

So- cheaper, quick, easy...and no risk of forgetting passes.

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    My group is awesome and secured 5 three-days to ensure we could all go. Not so lucky on hotel location, but it's all good. :)

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • Options
    I went with will-call (aka pickup). I used to have them shipped to my place, but last year's doubling of shipping prices (Used to be $15, jumped to $30...USD), the crappy courier they use (DHL) and my constant fear of forgetting my passes at home led me to try Will-call at Prime this year.

I went to the pickup site (one of the nearby hotels) the day before the con with my receipt and a photo ID and was in and out within 5 min.

So- cheaper, quick, easy...and no risk of forgetting passes.

I'll have to try that for 2017 PAX. Too late now but at least I got it all secure so it's smooth sailing now. Just need to book my flight (which I'm sure prices have gone up since this annoucement).

• Options
    ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice that the Westin didn't even show up in "Unavailable" list or on map view? Weird.

• Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    You know what's not cool. Mandatory $9 "expedited" shipping, for passes I won't even get for 6 months, because I had to order multiple 1 day passes.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    ScoJoMo wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the Westin didn't even show up in "Unavailable" list or on map view? Weird.

It was prebooked, wasn't an option for us plebs.

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Got 3 days for me and my 3 friends, did kinda meh on the hotel. Staying at the Boston Marriott Copley Place. Last time I was out in that area (Booked the Revere) the shuttle service was a mess. Hoping for better luck this year.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Got 3 days for me and my 3 friends, did kinda meh on the hotel. Staying at the Boston Marriott Copley Place. Last time I was out in that area (Booked the Revere) the shuttle service was a mess. Hoping for better luck this year.

Us too ... see you there. Will probably opt for subway rather than rely on shuttle.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular

Uber is your friend.

• Options
    Wolfiee wrote: »
    You know what's not cool. Mandatory $9 "expedited" shipping, for passes I won't even get for 6 months, because I had to order multiple 1 day passes.

It's not mandatory. Will call will let you pick them up at PAX and the line is mega short. Right on the right as you enter the main entrance at the BCC. It's my choice every year.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular

It's not mandatory. Will call will let you pick them up at PAX and the line is mega short. Right on the right as you enter the main entrance at the BCC. It's my choice every year.

Did that in 2014 and worked fine ... this year I have others passes booked so I opted for the International Shipping (Canada here) ... hoping for no drama ... lol

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Nope, International had the will-call option, but not US for me. My receipt says: "Provided by USPS Priority. Includes USPS Tracking. Only available for US shipping addresses. All orders that include 5 or more tickets must select Expedited Shipping. Badges do not mail until approximately 2 weeks prior to the event."

Maybe because I was ordering more than 5 (since I needed single says for three people for two days). The only options I had were international will-call, international shipping, and $9 expedited.

Wolfiee on
    0CsmwYt.jpg
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    My pal Bryan got individual day passes for both of us! Hurray!
    I haven't been to a PAX since PAX East 2014 and I am pretty stoked.

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    Saturdays have sold out already, wow.

• Options
    Yeah definitely a record for Saturdays.

0CsmwYt.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

It is mandatory for purchases of a certain size (I think 5 or more single day passes) even in the US.

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Well I've been work focused for the last couple months, I had no idea it was that time of year again...didn't find out until after 3 days were gone.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    DragantDragant BostonRegistered User regular
    Second year in a row I had to buy 3 single day passes for myself and my wife. Not fun paying over $300, when I could have paid $210. Then, the hotel I was trying to book apparently sold out one of the days I requested as I was typing my information in. Had to book Fri-Sun at the Omni Parker.

• Options
    ZarienZarien Registered User regular
    Got my passes in time. I booked with the logan airport hotel this time because seaport/westin/ren wasn't available. Stayed at the logan for a day or two last time, and it worked out great. Airport is right there, and the train takes you straight near the convention center without waiting on shuttles. Then you can just leave from there to fly out of the airport. Don't underestimate the logan hotel.

• Options
    bandersneebandersnee Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I was gunning for a Saturday pass, and was fortunate enough to get one. I've been frantically F5'ing for a week. A friend sent me a notice five minutes after I'd last refreshed.

Got the pass.

Goin' to PAX.

bandersnee on
  • Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    Dragant wrote: »
    Second year in a row I had to buy 3 single day passes for myself and my wife. Not fun paying over $300, when I could have paid $210. Then, the hotel I was trying to book apparently sold out one of the days I requested as I was typing my information in. Had to book Fri-Sun at the Omni Parker.
    The demand for all things PAX is strong, my friend. I was sitting in the waiting room of my local tire shop when I saw the tweet on my phone. I was going to buy four 3-day passes and 4 individual sets and my card got declined, either from the balance of the transaction or from me possibly entering the card code wrong. I got back into queue and the 3-days were gone. I bought four individual sets and another friend got into queue to get the other four sets we needed.

Like you said, paying the extra money isn't ideal, but at least I got the passes I needed.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It is mandatory for purchases of a certain size (I think 5 or more single day passes) even in the US.

Aha! Did not know. Thanks!

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind that they've been selling less and less 3-day passes. It's crazy frustrating knowing the amount of money you could have saved if you had gotten a 3-day pass, but as Oyster said, at least you got the passes. Saturdays are already sold out, so you could be in a worse situation.

Note: I say all of this as a person who also missed out on 3-days. It's a bummer, but better than not having any passes.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Keep in mind that they've been selling less and less 3-day passes. It's crazy frustrating knowing the amount of money you could have saved if you had gotten a 3-day pass, but as Oyster said, at least you got the passes. Saturdays are already sold out, so you could be in a worse situation.

Note: I say all of this as a person who also missed out on 3-days. It's a bummer, but better than not having any passes.

Aye...I go in every year with the EXPECTATION of having to go with single days and staying at like, my 4th or 5th choice of hotel. I got lucky this year, last year not so much (Couldn't snag 3-days for my entire crew, we had to get 2 sets of F-S-S passes and split the cost amongst all of us)

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png