As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Safety razor question

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
So I recently got a safety razor and it's working well except for one thing: shaving my mustache. No matter what I do it feels like I'm scraping against sandpaper. That being said I don't seem to be cutting myself, it's just time consuming/unpleasant.

Any tips?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I could have sworn there was a safety razor thread?

I have the same problem as you though. What I do is use an electric on my mustache and the razor on the rest. Works well for me!

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    That part of my face is really sensitive compared to the rest. Maybe that's the reason?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    It's not outright painful, just feels like the blade is.. catching? Hard to explain

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Moisten the face and moustache with plenty of warm water.

Make sure to apply foam throughoutly in the beard.

Try to adjust the gap of the safety razor around the razor blade.

Try adjusting the angle between the razor and the skin.

Potentially, try another brand of razors. I like feather razors.

I had a bit of a struggle to adjust to my first safety razor (similar to what you state), but when you get it right it is a very smooth shave.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Oh, and make sure to replace the razor as often as you need. Normal use for one razor seems to be 4-5 shaves, assuming you shave daily.

I shave once or twice per week, and can never get more than one comfortable shave per razor.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I could have sworn there was a safety razor thread?

Yep! https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/124080/wetshaving-and-safety-razors

A good thread, might be helpful to Magus` in addition to this one.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Thank you!

I was looking all over SE++

This explains why I couldn't find it

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Not warm water. HOT water. The hottest you can handle.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Before I bounce to the other tread: I've been wet shaving for nearly 3 years. Best things i've learned: Shave in the shower, use an anti-fog mirror. Let your brush soak, in the bottom of the tob as you shower. Holding the razor, when in doubt, place the head of the razor flat against the skin (no blade) and then slowly lower the handle until the blade starts to cut. Small strokes work best for me on my upper lip.

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Are you using an oil? For three years I could not make a safety razor work until I got the oil.

And a tip with the oil, I like to heat the entire bottle by running hot water on it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Oil?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Shaving oil is what you put on your face before the razor ever touches you. It gives you a sort of "barrier" that lets you shave closely without carving your face up. I couldn't use the safety razer until I discovered this.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767