As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

East 2016 Hotel Partners

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    What does "Run of House" room mean? i booked a Quad room at Seaport with "Run of House" option.
    Run of House means you make a request for a room type, but they are not guaranteeing you a specific room type. They will give you what they have available when you check in, that fits your occupancy.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Finally got my hotel, the Hampton Inn.
    I made the right choice, it has a Dunkin Donuts in the building :crackle:

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I managed to get Saturday at the Element. I was really hoping to get the whole weekend there. So now begins the watching of the hotel page for room drops. See you all in April!

• Options
    mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to give it a shot here anyway... I have a mobility issue that makes attending Pax East a bit of an adventure every year. In all the past years I was able to get a very nearby hotel and it has made my experience at PAX East significantly easier and stress-free. This year the Westin Waterfront was off the list and for some reason one could not even sort the hotel list by distance via the phone app so I was only able to get the Omni. Walking that distance to the con is a non-option for me. I know the shuttle schedules aren't going to be released for a good long while... but if anyone can give me an idea of how frequently the shuttles used to go (assuming they passed through the Omni), what time they started in the morning and ended at night in the past etc... that would give me an idea for how much extra money I'm going to have to pour into taxis/ubers to get back to the hotel in case of emergency/exhaustion and/or outside the shuttle's hours.

Alternatively, if someone wants to be generous and trade a Friday-check-in Sunday-check-out reservation to the Westin or other nearby hotels with my Omni reservation, feel free to PM me. I understand how unlikely this is to happen, but hey I'm willing to dream.

• Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    as far as I can tell, westin wasn't open to fans, which means they may be at cap with just non-fan attendees (staff, guests, etc). You probably won't get a room there through onpeak.

Of note, the aloft does have special rooms on their website for accessibility when i was poking about after the fact, but i didn't see them noted in onpeak at all, so i'm not sure if they were part of what was available. They're not currently available through the normal website, so if that's something you'd consider, it may be worth contacting directly.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    mtalmor wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to give it a shot here anyway... I have a mobility issue that makes attending Pax East a bit of an adventure every year. In all the past years I was able to get a very nearby hotel and it has made my experience at PAX East significantly easier and stress-free. This year the Westin Waterfront was off the list and for some reason one could not even sort the hotel list by distance via the phone app so I was only able to get the Omni. Walking that distance to the con is a non-option for me. I know the shuttle schedules aren't going to be released for a good long while... but if anyone can give me an idea of how frequently the shuttles used to go (assuming they passed through the Omni), what time they started in the morning and ended at night in the past etc... that would give me an idea for how much extra money I'm going to have to pour into taxis/ubers to get back to the hotel in case of emergency/exhaustion and/or outside the shuttle's hours.

Alternatively, if someone wants to be generous and trade a Friday-check-in Sunday-check-out reservation to the Westin or other nearby hotels with my Omni reservation, feel free to PM me. I understand how unlikely this is to happen, but hey I'm willing to dream.

I stayed at the Embassy Suites this year and the shuttle was there several times in the morning and left during the evening. And it dropped you off right at PAX.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    Onpeak has never had accessibility rooms as an option you can tick AFAIK. For my personal issue it doesn't matter (as long as the elevator works and distances between things are short). I didn't even know about the Aloft when I went in the site (serves me right for not checking in advance e.e) and, as I said, there was no option to sort by distance on the phone app. I'm still refreshing the site like mad... but I'm just weighing my options now. Going outside the PAX East rate to still get rooms is of course possible, but when you look at the prices on the hotels' sites, the cost far outweighs whatever I would be spending on taxis/ubers it seems. I'm not super happy about having to play a resource management game between mobility and money, but nobody typed in the cheat codes to give me infinite money yet :-P

• Options
    I stayed at the Embassy Suites this year and the shuttle was there several times in the morning and left during the evening. And it dropped you off right at PAX.

I am aware of the shuttle's existence, but if you have any of the specifics - how early "in the morning", how late "during the evening", how frequently in between - that would be great!

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Thats weird. Omni didn't have a run of the house option last year. I took it because that's what was offered. Does this mean there is a possibility I won't get a room at checkin? Also, I couldn't get an option for thursday the 21st. What suggestions could anyone offer to monitor the hotels page, other than having a laptop with 4g connection attached to my body so I can constantly hit F5 until I either option a) I do get that night or b) my finger falls off.

• Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Thats weird. Omni didn't have a run of the house option last year. I took it because that's what was offered. Does this mean there is a possibility I won't get a room at checkin? Also, I couldn't get an option for thursday the 21st. What suggestions could anyone offer to monitor the hotels page, other than having a laptop with 4g connection attached to my body so I can constantly hit F5 until I either option a) I do get that night or b) my finger falls off.

You'll get a room, assuming I understand the concept of "run of the house" correctly, but the hotel decides which one. This could cause issues for people who want two beds in their room, because you could end up with a one bed room if that is all that is available when you check in. As for monitoring the hotels, I just favorite the site and check it on my phone during the day. I'm happy with my reservation at the Hilton for the most part but I'll also be checking to see if the Seaport or Hyatt opens up.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    So guys, I have never stayed at the Omni before - can someone give me the 411? What is there to eat around there? What is cool about the hotel? Do people usually game int he lobby - etc etc? Thanks!!!

Who is going to PAX South?
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Gaming at the Omni, not so much unless I totally mised it the last 2 years. As for what's around: Boston commons is really nice to hang out and relax (assuming it's a good weather weekend). The restaurant on site is home to the world famous Omni Parker House Rolls. (God I wish carbs were good for you. I could eat those rolls every day!) It's within walking distance of Starbucks, Dunkin, Burger King, McDonalds, and other fast food types. It's one block away from the T Green Line, so you could take that to any number of fast food or upscale resaurants. It's got a Gamestop a block away (for that one time you may just have to buy game (trust me, it's happened to me)). Overall, it's a nice hotel in a nice area.

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular

I am aware of the shuttle's existence, but if you have any of the specifics - how early "in the morning", how late "during the evening", how frequently in between - that would be great!

Last year the first shuttle pickup was around 8am for the first hotel(s). With another shuttles every ~ 20-30 min afterwards. If you really need/want a closer hotel, Element and Aloft are your next best bets. Best place to try to find a room there is to try and look for a room share/trade either PA forums or on Reddit.

• Options
    SausageSausage FLRegistered User regular
    I can safely say that the enforcers did not get the crack at the Westin rooms. Most of us help with setup and tear down and book from Thursday (or earlier) through Tuesday (or later). I was available when we had access and couldn't do better than the seaport, most other enforcers chose the aloft or element, but the Westin was just not available for even a reasonable length of stay.

3DS: 2964-9827-0033
  • Options
    Jax7786Jax7786 Registered User regular
    I was only able to get the Omni. Walking that distance to the con is a non-option for me. I know the shuttle schedules aren't going to be released for a good long while... but if anyone can give me an idea of how frequently the shuttles used to go (assuming they passed through the Omni), what time they started in the morning and ended at night in the past etc...

I've stayed at the Omni for the last two years and the shuttle is usually shared between it and one other hotel. I've used it several times. You may have to wait for one for maybe 20 minutes if you just missed the last one, but it was reliable and ran frequently during peak times. It's really convenient!

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular

If I remember, the first shuttle usually left around 8:30 - 9:00 AM. We missed it once and it was there an hour later or so. It left in the evening after most of the event stuff was going on. We usually took the 5 or 6 shuttle so I don't know how many trips it made.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Might be a silly question, but is payment immediate on reservation or do you pay when you check in?

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Might be a silly question, but is payment immediate on reservation or do you pay when you check in?

Pay when you check in. However, hotels have deposit and cancellation policies, a few weeks prior when the reservations are transferred over from OnPeak the hotel MAY process a deposit up to the value of 1 nights stay, and if you don't cancel or are a no show then they keep it. Not all hotels will run your card for the deposit but they all will change you as a now show. Any deposits are used toward your bill that you pay at check in.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Y'know what onpeak really needs? A filter for number of people per room. As in 'I need a quad room' so you set that and it ONLY shows you hotels with quad rooms available. Right now, you're zipping around, hoping your choice hotels have the room you need on the dates you need.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    Marriott Copley, this is a shuttle/uber sort of pax east for me this year.

Am I in for a rough time this pax? Anyone stayed here before?

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular

not at all. either take the shuttle or there's a train station a block away

• Options
    smertepunktsmertepunkt Registered User regular

Never stayed, but my friend just reserved a room there. My choice was between that and the Colonnade and it's pretty much a coin flip.

You have the option of taking the T in and out every day. There's a stop for the green line right next to the Copley, if not closer. Green line>Park St, Red line>South Station silver line>barely half mile walk to the BCEC should take about half an hour and that's what we're planning on doing. It's not exactly the Westin, but I'm more than okay with this.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Jax7786 wrote: »
    I've stayed at the Omni for the last two years and the shuttle is usually shared between it and one other hotel. I've used it several times. You may have to wait for one for maybe 20 minutes if you just missed the last one, but it was reliable and ran frequently during peak times. It's really convenient!
    I used to work downtown, and the Omni to PAX is about a 20-25 min walk. Unless the shuttle is right there, or you walk really slow, you'll probably beat the shuttle on foot.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    20-25 minute walk for normal people is more than an hour for me (medical issue), under the assumption there are places to sit in the middle :-P Sad to hear the shuttle isn't as convenient as I would have liked it to be, but beggers can't be choosers. I'll work it out with other types of transportation. Thanks for the shuttle info everyone! I'm still open for room trades and for pigs flying! XD

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I usually stayed at the Doubletree in Chinatown and though the walk is pretty convenient, I seriously think the subway in Boston is killer. If you ride at non-peak pax times, there isn't really any major crowding and it's super cool to take the silver line to the convention center (underground bus!)

Anyone who's thinking it's shuttle/walking/laying down on the ground and waiting to die... the subway is a great option if one is up to it.

• Options
    Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    I'll also be staying at the Omni, so I'm happy to hear that it's only a 20 -25 min walk. That's not too bad for me at all. I think it's best that I walk rather than wait for the shuttle.

• Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    Taxi's aren't very expensive either, especially if you split it.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    ZarienZarien Registered User regular
    Taxi's aren't very expensive either, especially if you split it.

In Boston they can add up pretty quick. I would recommend Uber while you're there. I've used taxis for a few years while there, and my group and I have all switched over to Uber. It's faster, cheaper, and nicer cars. During the event, they're everywhere.

• Options
    AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    I'm at the Liberty Hotel, which according to the site is like 1.7 miles away? Not the worst IMO, and its the first year I was forced to room off-site.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

You're right next to the Salty Pig, which if you like beer, charcuterie and pig parts is awesome.

• Options
    abdoooooabdooooo Registered User regular
    This'll be my first year attending PAX! :) With that said, my budget is not what it used to be when I was single. I have been trying to find a "deal" in Boston through various lodging websites. It'd be so much easier if I could split rent for the few days with others. *sigh* Do others here go in as a group to get their hotel room?

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    The hostels are good choices if it is just you or just two of you. The HI is one block away from W Boston to grab the shuttle in.

iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    zerzhul wrote: »
    What does "Run of House" room mean? i booked a Quad room at Seaport with "Run of House" option.
    Run of House means you make a request for a room type, but they are not guaranteeing you a specific room type. They will give you what they have available when you check in, that fits your occupancy.
    zerzhul wrote: »

Ths is the first year the havent listed all the bed types on the drop down. There were single - quad double doubles, and single through quad run of the house for the seaport. We requested a king room, since its my wife and i....which i doubt will be an issue since it seems to be a pretty unpopular room type for the con. If we end in double doubles, i am Gonna laugh my butt off.

pilferk on
  • Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    jdixon1972 wrote: »

You will get a room...you just wont know the configuration...ie # and types of beds....til check in.

pilferk on
  • Options
    Jax7786Jax7786 Registered User regular
    So guys, I have never stayed at the Omni before - can someone give me the 411? What is there to eat around there? What is cool about the hotel? Do people usually game int he lobby - etc etc? Thanks!!!

I've been at the Omni the last two years and am staying there again by choice. I love that it's near food!! There's several coffee shops and quick service restaurants nearby, which is so much better than having to pack food or skip breakfast and eat the convention center food. It's got a really big, nice lobby where people often game at night, and the rooms are super comfortable. It's also the place they invented Boston Cream Pie, so definitely have a slice while you're there! :)

• Options
    monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    For people still looking for a space, priceline and hotwire have some deals available. It seems that the cheapest with similar location to the partnered hotels is 3-star for $147 in Copley Square - Back Bay area on hotwire but there are hotels for around $220 in the downtown and Boston Common area on both sites and cheaper location farther away in Cambridge. Use betterbidding.com to get a guess of what hotel you may get. A reminder that you will pay immediately and there are no refunds for the hotel.

monkosh on
    iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • Options
    LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I reserved a room at Boston Harbor, but having never stayed there before, I was wondering if it was too close for the shuttles. I won't mind walking in the morning, especially since I'm hoping for nice end-of-April weather, but by the end of the day (and with all that swag!) I'm sure I'm not going to want to walk back. I'm still hoping to catch a room at the Seaport because it is much less expensive, but in the event that I can't, I would like to know about transportation. So for those of you who have stayed at the Boston Harbor before, what is the shuttle situation?

• Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    I managed to get a room months in advance at the Westin Convention Hotel (very lucky), anyone tell me how are the staff and rooms? I manage to get a King Suite there and trying to get better understanding of it than the pictures and amenities they posted.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    So we're currently at the Intercontinental and originally I was trying to jump to something closer (if it opens up), but now I'm thinking with parties and food, this area seems pretty good. How bad does that walk feel between this area and the BCEC? I'm the person who packs a cooler full of food for the hotel, and so I'll be walking back for lunch etc every day.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017