As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PAX] South '16 - Sayanora Rolling Star! (Forum photo in Tube's thread, link on last page)

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I stayed there last year and it's fine. Little outdated and the shower is a bit of a gamble on heat vs cold.

This year it's at party hotel party time.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I stayed there last year and it's fine. Little outdated and the shower is a bit of a gamble on heat vs cold.

Where is this said party hotel going to be?

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

Where is this said party hotel going to be?

Hampton Inn & Suites San Antonio-Downtown/Market Square

I believe.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'll have to join y'all at the party hotel and uber back to mine

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

I'm not worried about the hotel, just where it's located.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Mengar location is pretty good. It's right next to Crockett Hotel, and they are both near to a big mall. The mall goes into the riverfront/convention center. A good way to get where you need to when avoiding the rain.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have booked my flight!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh geez, this is only two months away.

PAX South '15 still feels like it was yesterday.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    See, that's why you gotta to go the other PAXes, helps space things out.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Is someone setting up a GroupMe?

Only 55 days left.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Only 55 days left.

God, please, not yet

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    you can always put it on mute for your devices until closer to pax. but yeah, seems a bit early

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I usually wait until at least the month of to setup the GroupMe.

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I'm going to this with two friends, hopefully. I got 3 day passes so I guess I should get a hotel now...

Fuck. This really snuck up on me. Should be good, though!

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Only 55 days left.

God, please, not yet

Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz.... Bzzz...

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    You can mute it! I try to tell people not to turn it into a chat room!

• Options
    ah, I think those Bzzz's are wonderful and hilarious in retrospect.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I think a week out is probably more than enough. Anything before that...why wouldn't you just use the forums?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Well, I didn't mean we had to use it. We had it set up well in advance last year, nobody used it until the day of, really.

But yeah, the month of is probably best.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The last time I used GroupMe it was a texting thing as opposed to an app.

And in 3 days it consumed a month's amount of data.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to have to back out of this, unfortunately.

I've got family/non-forum Internet friends who are planning to be at East, and they asked me to go in on a room share, so I'm pretty much committed to that at this point.

And as much as I'd like to do South and East, I don't think my savings would be able to take two hits like that so close together.

I'm super bummed I won't be able to meet the Texas crew, but hopefully South 2017 will be a viable thing I can do.

Y'all remember the Alamo for me.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    In case you missed it they're asking for Qs for the Q&A at South.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/12/08/we-need-pax-south-qs

• Options
    Thanks. I kept meaning to post that link but was being lazy.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    They're starting to release info for South!

Schedule will post on Friday, musical guests posted today (Protomen, Paul & Storm, Frontalot, The Doubleclicks, Bit Brigade, The Returners) and CliffyB doing the keynote.

Also there's still badges available all 3 days for some weird reason so if you guys want to go somewhere warm and hang out with some nerds in January it's not too late!

• Options
    Can't wait!

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Just came here to post this, it's been too long since I've seen the Protomen and I can't wait.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good lineup! Hopefully they get the audio issues sorted out this time, compared to last year or last Prime.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    http://south.paxsite.com/schedule
    The schedule is up. All you need to know is Southern Slam is Saturday morning so if the convention center gets evacuated you know why.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I still have an extra 3 day pass if anyone wants it.

Also, the protomen yes yes yes yes yes

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    http://south.paxsite.com/schedule
    The schedule is up. All you need to know is Southern Slam is Saturday morning so if the convention center gets evacuated you know why.
    Sure, a Southern Slam may sound like a delicious item off the Denny's menu, but in reality it is THE premier live video game wrestling event at PAX South 2016. Join us as an assortment of game developers and press face off in the digital squared circle AND on stage for the very first time in the great state of Texas. Will there be spandex? Probably. Will this panel blur the lines between fantasy and reality? Yes, guaranteed. Will there be a fog machine this time? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Lost my job, so I think I'll have to give South a miss this year

If anyone needs a 3 day pass, PM me and we can sort something out

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Awww damn, that sucks, dude. Sorry to hear it.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I'm probably getting over-excited about running a D&D game there, since schedules are still up in the air, but here's a big heap of info. I've tested out this story a couple times with local groups, and I think it's a winner. So it's time to start talking about characters.

Some crap about the setting and story hook:
    The village of Last Drink is a trading outpost deep in a desert territory, stretched along the last span of the Salamander River that runs clear enough for human consumption. A few miles past Last Drink, the Salamander winds through a stretch of geologically active badlands where it becomes tainted by mineral runoff. There are some local copper and tin mines, but for the most part Last Drink's fortunes are tied to the nearby Waters of Eternity Monastery, where the acolytes take advantage of the rich alchemical resources of the badlands to brew potions. The monastery's reclusive inhabitants are generally considered weird but harmless, and Last Drink acts as a middle man between them and the frequent trade caravans. There are less remote sources of potions, but the Waters of Life Monastery is able to produce an impressive enough volume to make the trip worth it just for the bulk discount.

But in the last couple months the acolytes haven't been coming to market, and citizens from Last Drink sent to check on the monastery have disappeared. The mayor of Last Drink and several of the caravan masters have pooled a reward for anyone able to bring word from the monastery, and as prices on healing potions upriver start to climb, a number of adventurers have arrived to investigate.

(Technically this is in the Forgotten Realms. But I can't find the motivation to even pretend to be interested in a non-Ravenloft canon setting for long enough to look at a map and see where Last Drink might fit on it. So don't worry too much about it, because I certainly am not.)

Some crap about Character Creation:
    - You can make your own character if you want to. Just email me a copy when you're done!
    - You can message me a general idea and I'll make the character for you. EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT 100% SURE YOU CAN MAKE IT, IF YOU HAVE A COOL IDEA, ASK! I can always use a few more concepts padding out the old NPC file.
    - I'll have a half dozen extra "generic" characters for anyone who decides to play at the last minute, but seriously, if you think there's any chance you'll make it, try to go with one of the first two options.
    - I'll probably limit it to 5-6 players.
    - The test runs have been 90 minutes to 2 hours.
    - I plan to run the game some time Thursday, and maybe run a second session on one of the convention days. It pretty much depends on when the most people will be available.
    - Your characters are LEVEL 4. They've seen some action, but the shine hasn't quite come off their armor yet.
    - Hit Points increases use the static value, not rolled. 1d12 = 7, 1d10 = 6, 1d8 = 5, 1d6 = 4. Nobody has d4 hit dice any more? Just noticed that, not bad!
    - Character creation is POINT BUY WITH 32 POINTS! That's 5 more points than the recommended point buy, enough to buy an extra ability up to 13! Your dudes are not chumps.
    - Feats are in play. At any level where you would gain an Ability Score Improvement, you may instead select one Feat (so for most classes, you'll have had this option once, at level 4.)
    - All characters start with one bonus Feat! Because I'm generous.
    - Variant Humans are in play (+1 to two attributes of your choice, one extra Skill Proficiency, and another Feat at 1st level). If you really want a default Human (+1 to all attributes, no other bonuses), well... that's cool, I guess. Go for it, I'm not going to stop you.
    - The Lucky feat does not exist. That crap is hells of broken.
    - NON-DISRUPTIVE ALIGNMENTS PLEASE. You'll note that I didn't specify "No Evil" or "No Chaotic". There are shades of all alignments that can function as part of a group. Feel free to make your character a scheming asshole or an erratic weirdo... I just don't want to deal with any PvP, so try to keep your eccentricities to a level that's fun for everyone to roleplay around.
    - Races/Backgrounds from non-core books? YES! Just email me the traits, or the page reference if it's from something I can legally get for free online.
    - Making up your own Backgrounds? MAYBE. I can be easily convinced to reward creativity, and the potential for abuse is pretty minimal here, but if it feels like you're stretching things just to shoehorn in the specific Skill Bonuses you want, I'm likely to say no.
    - Classes from non-core books? NO. Sorry, asking you to email me the details is apparently where my moral boundary says that's enough info to count as theft.
    - Class Variants? UNDER INVESTIGATION. Particularly, the Berserker Barbarian and Beast Master Ranger are considered big bowls of dog crap. I've never had anyone ask to play one, so I haven't looked into alternate rules for them, but if you want to try one and know of a good variant ruleset that you can point me to, or you know of another class path that's a surprise turd hidden in the rules that could use similar treatment, let me know!
    - Summoning-Focused Spellcasters Listen, just don't be a dick. If you swamp down my table with a million token wolves doing trip attacks, nobody will think that you're cool.
    - Multiclassing? SURE, WHY NOT. Your Barbarian took a course in Wizardry at the community college.
    - Weapons/Feats/Spells/Equipment from non-core books? MAYBE. You can always run it by me for approval.
    - It's in the Forgotten Realms, but if you've got a concept from another setting, I don't care as long I don't have to do any extra work to support it. How'd you get there? Figure it out yourself! A Wizard probably did it. We really won't have enough playtime to delve into your intricately constructed backstory, so feel free to make as much or as little of it as you feel like! The default setting is mostly important for the array of patrons available to Divine Spellcasters.
    - All that really matters is that you have some reason to be in this dead-end desert town, and willing to take a simple search-and-rescue job there. Ha ha! Simple! I promise!
    - It may seem like I'm super flippant towards the Roleplaying aspect here, but trust me, if you've got a character who's cool for reasons beyond just their stats, I'll take notice and treat you right. It's just an unfortunate limitation of this type of game that we won't have time to really focus on that material. But I'm still grateful when it's there, even if I don't have the opportunity to tug on every story hook your character offers me!

Have I over-thought all of this? YES. But I am SUPER EXCITED YOU GUYS HOLY CRAP.

Submission deadline: Whenever we actually play, I guess. If you show up 45 minutes after we've started with your Half-Orc Monk/Bard (with custom Nunchuck Bagpipes), sorry, that sounds rad, but it's too late.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    When is everyone going to be in SA? I'm gonna be in on Wednesday.

• Options
    I think we're planning on leaving here on Thursday and meeting up with everyone in Austin that day?

Then driving to SA that evening

• Options
    :( you guys ain't getting in until late Thursday? Lame

• Options
    Well I work two jobs and it's a miracle I am able to convince both of them to let me go in the first place

Plus I have three kids, so those arrangements are also kind of a limiting factor

Then Sandra and co. said they wanted to hang around Austin and eat BBQ before heading down, which I thought sounded decidedly un-lame!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm flying in Thursday direct to San Antonio.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I will coalesce somewhere in Austin from a flock of ravens, or perhaps materialize within the cloud of bats as they emerge from beneath the Congress Street Bridge at dusk

And then I'm driving to San Antonio, yeah

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I'm flying in Wednesday. I wanted to have time to drive out to Lockhart or Luling for bbq on Thursday before any evening activities. I made it to two of the big names in Lockhart the only other time i've been to San Antonio, and it was the best bbq i've ever had.

If I can squeeze in a decent movie at an Alamo Draft house before Pax too the extra night will be so worth it.