As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everyone who was waiting for (affordable well performing) DX10 cards, they're here:

• LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So I just got an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB last week from Amazon (gift certificates). Any recommendations on what to do now? Should I be trying to figure out some way to send this thing back?

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd keep it. I don't like loud cards. I would have to buy replacement fan and that would probably negate much of the price difference between gt and gts. :\

not to mention void the warrty.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    I'd keep it. I don't like loud cards. I would have to buy replacement fan and that would probably negate much of the price difference between gt and gts. :\

Uhh, those are reasons not to keep it. The GT is cooler, quieter, lower power, higher performing with more features.

CZroe on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FightTest wrote: »
    I don't think it's much of an issue for the 8600 owners like someone mentioned earlier. They bought bargain-y cards that everyone knew weren't that great, and when you do that you expect your card to get shat on within a relatively short timespan.

The GTS owners are the ones who probably feel the hurt the most. Buying a rather expensive next-to-best card you might expect to get trumped in speed in a year or so, but you don't expect to get hit by both the speed and price train.

That said something like this was needed. As one of many people with a nice last-gen card (X1950XT) there was absolutely no reason for me to upgrade to a new card because I don't care about DX10. The performance gains were minimal aside from at huge resolutions limiting their market to only the super hardcore. The enthusiasts like myself somewhat below that level were never going to bite at $3-600 when we weren't getting much of a performance upgrade aside from DX10 which isn't even a valid selling point at this time.

So while I'm not surprised they released a card faster than the 8800GTS, I am surprised they aren't just pushing the GTS down to $200 and slotting the GT into the GTS's old price slot. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Well, this one actually is cheaper to make.

CZroe on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well awesome. If this keeps up I'll have a great computer when I upgrade next. Which will be when Spore comes out.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

Uhh, those are reasons not to keep it. The GT is cooler, quieter, lower power, higher performing with more features.

Uhh, the GT is louder and hotter.

Rook on
    edited October 2007

have you not read anything in this thread?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    interesting..
    my knowledge on sli is very limited as I've never done it before..

but for gamers like me who are locked in at 1650x1080 lcd screens, hopefully it would be a pretty good solution for us to go with dual GT over a single GTX...

You're thinking about SLI the wrong way.

SLI is touted as being a 40-70% performance boost, this is a bit of marketing BS on the part of nvidia.

SLI can be a huge performance boost, provided the game is optimized for it, provided the cards in SLI do not have a bottleneck, and provided your monitor can spew out the resolution to take advantage of it.

Your resolution is still not high enough to get large gains from SLI, the 512mb vRAM on the GT is still a bottleneck at higher resolutions (which is where SLI shows it's teeth).

Unless you have all your ducks in a row a faster single card solution is going to be better then SLI.
    So while I'm not surprised they released a card faster than the 8800GTS, I am surprised they aren't just pushing the GTS down to $200 and slotting the GT into the GTS's old price slot. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

They're releasing another 640mb GTS monkier card later on to replace the current one.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cycophant wrote: »
    Nice! just in time to replace my crappy old x800.

Haha you too huh? As soon as my computer arrives from back home, methinks I'll be replacing my horribly antiquated x800 with this bad boy. The price is certainly right (although I'm sure up here in Canada we'll still be paying $300+ for it, despite the exchange rate) and if the only downside is a slight faltering at higher resolutions, I'm sold.

Frankly, I couldn't even care less what ATI has to offer. Even if their new card blew this one out of the water, I've lost so much faith in ATI after this last graphics card round. The crappy drivers, the poor performance, the mediocre prices...

Horribly antiquated x800? I use an AGP X850PRO 256MB and while it obviously isn't the latest and greatest, I run anything I want to at 1200x900 and high settings.

Dated, but not antiquated.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Stupid question, but I've not dealt with DX10 cards yet:

I'm assuming yes, but... If I don't have vista yet, will this card still work in xp? Basically, does this support DX9?

urahonky on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Stupid question, but I've not dealt with DX10 cards yet:

I'm assuming yes, but... If I don't have vista yet, will this card still work in xp? Basically, does this support DX9?

Yes.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I assumed so... But you can't be too sure when you assume stuff when it comes to computer stuff. Thanks ;)

urahonky on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Be aware that with Evga, as long as you keep the stock cooler for any returns, replacing it doesn't void the waranty, nor does overclocking.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    Be aware that with Evga, as long as you keep the stock cooler for any returns, replacing it doesn't void the waranty, nor does overclocking.

isn't that only on certain models?? and don't you have to use their tools?

edit: nm, just went through the warranty info.. very cool.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey guys, how big of a boost would I get upgrading from a 7800gt? Is it worth the price?

My cpu is a 3500+. I'm guessing that would bottleneck me, correct?

Xeno on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why is this not on newegg yet?

precisionk on
    edited October 2007
    Xeno wrote: »
    Hey guys, how big of a boost would I get upgrading from a 7800gt? Is it worth the price?

My cpu is a 3500+. I'm guessing that would bottleneck me, correct?

8800 series cards are out of this world...

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    precisionk wrote: »

XFX 8800gt is on newegg for $270.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I bought a 7900 early this year before the 8600s came out, and kicked myself. Now I'm glad I didn't rush out and upgrade to an 8600.

Tax return = 8800GT. :D
    precisionk wrote: »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150252

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So I just bought the EVGA one off Newegg. Say the GTS refresh happens and it puts it ahead of the GT in less than 90 days. I can just go through EVGA and pay the difference and get the new card?

Either way, it's a hell of a lot better than the X1800XT I'm using now.

chrpnk on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seriously, I need to get more friends that spend lots of money on PC gaming than I. People here are looking forewards to upgrading from cards way better than mine.

LewieP on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Seriously, I need to get more friends that spend lots of money on PC gaming than I. People here are looking forewards to upgrading from cards way better than mine.

I'm going to help finance a new card by selling my X1950pro to a friend for $100, personally.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    with the $500 i planned to spend on a new vid card, i think i'll go buy two 8800GT's and SLI them.

what great news

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Offer to buy them below standard used price. The convenience to them of not having to set up an auction will probably net you a great deal.

gilrain on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    with the $500 i planned to spend on a new vid card, i think i'll go buy two 8800GT's and SLI them.

what great news
    Or buy one and a great box of cigars. Same performance for most applications.

gilrain on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm going to help finance a new card by selling my X1950pro to a friend for $100, personally.
    Nice.
    gilrain wrote: »
    Offer to buy them below standard used price. The convenience to them of not having to set up an auction will probably net you a great deal.
    Problem is I know no-one who will be buying a new card.

LewieP on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    gilrain wrote: »

what great news
    Or buy one and a great box of cigars. Same performance for most applications.

damnit, i just remembered my reason for not buying a DX10 card already

i don't want to install Vista, arghargaha

but yeah, i know, you're right. i've just always wanted to have an SLI setup, to see how it was. purely curiosity.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I currently have a 9800xt in my computer, please don't complain about outdated.

FanciestWalnut on
    edited October 2007
    Is there any point to doing these in a sli formation? It's about the same price as a gtx, if not a little more.

FanciestWalnut on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My GF3Ti500 is still holden strong, must hold out longer.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My GF3Ti500 is still holden strong, must hold out longer.

Fight the good fight!

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • MeatPopSICKleMeatPopSICKle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sweet now i can buy another 8800gts on the cheap on SLi the fuckers.

MeatPopSICKle on
    SignatureSeries6.jpg
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just picked up an 8800gts 512mb, superclocked by EVGA =) . I worry about the heat, but my computer runs really cool...

Fuck noise. That's what speakers/headphones are for!

fogeyman on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there any point to doing these in a sli formation? It's about the same price as a gtx, if not a little more.

I saw benchmarks today for the new GT in SLI and it fucking killed the GTX. Keep in mind that SLI scales differently in games, but for games that have good SLI support two 8800GT cards will rock a GTX for the same price.

I'm still waiting until mid November to see what ATi does. The speculation is that nVidia is ready to change the specs on the 8800GT if they have to, or announce a stronger model.

edit: behold! SLI benchmarks

pf1600.gif
    cod21600.gif
    obl1600.gif

There's just a few. All of those are on max settings. The higher the settings go the wider the gap between the GTX and the GT SLI gets. I am so tempted to try an SLI configuration. I was wanting to get a GTX anyway so this might work out.

edit 2: link to the whole article

Shogun on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some things to remember...

The single slot cooler on this is a tad off. They were having, and still do have, heat problems on this card. This means that you're not going to see as good OC'd stock cards. And a 8800gts 640mb, when clocked to the same specs, still hands this card it's ass. You can get those clocks on most stock cooled cards on the 8800gts 640mb. Of course if you ditch the stock cooler on this it will be a monster.

As stated by others it falls apart at higher resolutions. As scary as it sounds we've passed the point where 512mb is "enough" for higher resolutions. Clock rates can be changed, vRAM can't.

The HD video part is nice, but... that was only needed in the lower end cards since they lacked the punch for it in other areas.

This has killed the 8600 series, and killed the 8800320mb, but the higher end parts still pack a punch at higher resolutions, and aren't worthless. No need to panic if you already bought them.

This is more of an "end of life for geforce 8" series buy. Given that geforce 9 with dx 10.1 and pci-e 2.0 cards are going to drop soon, this is your chance to grab a decent part cheap, rather then getting something truly next gen.

Another person who doenst know what the fuck they're talking about, everyone please disregard and continue to only listen to people like myself and the other experienced forumers on the subject.

Please show where they were or are having heat issues with this card and illustrate whats wrong with the cooler.
    Launch day, and you already have OC'd cards from VENDORS in the 700mhz core range, over stock 600. (that's as big a factory overclock seen on a GPU in the last few years).

No a GTS does not kick its ass. Please show otherwise.

Please show how you can attain 700mhz core on "most GTS".

Please explain why comparing an OC'd GTS to a non OC'd GT tells us anything.

Please refute the graphs I already posted demonstrating that it does NOT fall apart at higher resolutions.

And I'm already sick of your misinformation and don't want to continue slogging through your crap post.

Deusfaux on
    edited October 2007
    Rook wrote: »

Uhh, the GT is louder and hotter.

It produces less heat than the GTS. Now maybe some reviews have shown the temps measured are higher than the GTS (all things equal otherwise) but that would only be due to the cooler used on it.

Which of course is also the reason it would be louder (if it is)

You could get an aftermarket cooler for this thing and still save money over a GTS (and of course you're sitll beating it in performance)

FightTest wrote: »

GTS refresh mid november on same process (65nm). GTS SHOULD be > GT, but timing has prevented that for a bit here

fogeyman wrote: »
    Just picked up an 8800gts 512mb, superclocked by EVGA =) . I worry about the heat, but my computer runs really cool...

Why wouldnt you get the GT which this thread is all about??? Exchange ASAP!

Last note: I ordered the EVGA superclocked version (650 core 1.9 mem) this morning @ $259 CAD (NCIX). I dont worry about the $10 "premium" over the MRSP, but it comes with 2 freebies and Quake Wars (which I already have and will sell), and its overclocked.

I guess EVGA kicked off their SSC line as well today (super super clocked). For example, the SSC version of the 8800 GT is at 700 core (I forget the mem)

Deusfaux on
    edited October 2007
    So are these worth picking up and using sli now if a gts or gtx is just going to come out in nov and kick much more ass?

FanciestWalnut on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    fogeyman wrote: »

Why wouldnt you get the GT which this thread is all about??? Exchange ASAP!
    Woops wrote GTS on accident. I meant the GT :lol: .

fogeyman on
    edited October 2007
    So are these worth picking up and using sli now if a gts or gtx is just going to come out in nov and kick much more ass?

personally SLI is never worth it. I'd always take the single more powerful card, even if that means waiting 6 months to a year for the next refresh

its BEST put to use to break barriers and reach levels single cards cant do. ie, a single GTX or Ultra (put 2 in SLI!)

but that still requires an excess of money

now that all said, this is somewhat of a special case, what with the cards being single slot size, only requiring one PCI-e 6pin connector, being so cheap and performing so well, etc etc

that said I still wouldnt do it personally. not to mention SLI doesnt really happen on anything but nvidia chipset/based boards. (and I'd prefer intels for intel cpus)

Deusfaux on
    edited October 2007
    So... Those 8800GTs aren't on newegg anymore.

urahonky on