As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Batthread

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    Batman Beyond is cooler than DKR

Garlic Bread on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Given the damage DKR did to Batman through most of the late 80's and 90's, I kind of wish it had never been written.

Furu on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Given the damage DKR did to Batman through most of the late 80's and 90's, I kind of wish it had never been written.

:roll:

It was a fun book. The only thing that irked me was Miller's insane habit of being too descriptive with Batman's inner dialogue.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Batman Beyond is cooler than DKR

:^:

You know what's a pretty cool Miller book? Ronin.

august on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    PlasBatsSupes.jpg

Oh Plastic Man, you died before your time.

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    what the fuck is that last line

what

that doesn't even make sense

Garlic Bread on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think that's the point.

august on
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Furu wrote:

:roll:

It was a fun book. The only thing that irked me was Miller's insane habit of being too descriptive with Batman's inner dialogue.

Why the eye rolling? I'm just saying that without DKR maybe Batman never would have ended up a loner angstbag until just recently.

Furu on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    So should I pick up Detective Comics this month? I'm really only picking it up for the writing at this point anyway, so with even that gone, what's the point?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited November 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    So should I pick up Detective Comics this month? I'm really only picking it up for the writing at this point anyway, so with even that gone, what's the point?

Eh..it's not the greatest. I'd pick it up only if you're a completionist.

Bad Karma on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Robin. Lately, Robin has been an awesome book. It's fast becoming the book I look forward to the most each month.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you ignore what happened to Cassie, Robin has been kicking all kinds of ass lately. It's only that one bit that's been horrid.

Bloods End on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's also that one bit that made me want to stay away from it, despite loving Beechen on the JLU comics, and digging the hell out of Freddie Williams' art. I want to love it, but I can't until they offer a decent explanation for that shit besides daddy issues.

Munch on
    edited November 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    So should I pick up Detective Comics this month? I'm really only picking it up for the writing at this point anyway

...as opposed to picking it up for what?

And as Bad Karma said, only if you're a completionist. The writing is bad, the art is bad, and together the book is awful.
    Briareos wrote:
    Robin. Lately, Robin has been an awesome book. It's fast becoming the book I look forward to the most each month.

I love Robin. He's one of my favorite characters. Regarding the last issue:

[spoiler:697344a50b]oh no, I wonder if Dodge might just happen to get teleportation powers from the belt going nuts on him![/spoiler:697344a50b]
    Munch wrote:
    It's also that one bit that made me want to stay away from it, despite loving Beechen on the JLU comics, and digging the hell out of Freddie Williams' art. I want to love it, but I can't until they offer a decent explanation for that shit besides daddy issues.

Just ignore that arc, then. They'll probably explain it in Teen Titans.

Garlic Bread on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    hughtron wrote:
    So should I pick up Detective Comics this month? I'm really only picking it up for the writing at this point anyway

...as opposed to picking it up for what?

Well, intially I was picking it up because I thought that JH Williams was doing more than one issue, and I've kept reading it because while I've tolerated the other art I've loved the writing.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

[spoiler:24545b391b]oh no, I wonder if Dodge might just happen to get teleportation powers from the belt going nuts on him![/spoiler:24545b391b]

And maybe develop a grudge against Robin and become a villain/nemesis? Nah, that never happens in comics.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

[spoiler:fe40113ca1]oh no, I wonder if Dodge might just happen to get teleportation powers from the belt going nuts on him![/spoiler:fe40113ca1]

And maybe develop a grudge against Robin and become a villain/nemesis? Nah, that never happens in comics.

Which sucks because he looked like he was gonna be the new Impulse

Garlic Bread on
  • Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I want Dodge to die. What a huge fucking pricky douche cunt.

Also, does anyone know what's up with All-Star Batman and Robin, or should we just assume that there's never going to be a new issue at this point?

Zodiac Brave on
    edited November 2006

Dodge and Misfit and that gymnast kid that Dick showed how to use a trapeze in the last Nightwing issue should form their own team.
    Also, does anyone know what's up with All-Star Batman and Robin, or should we just assume that there's never going to be a new issue at this point?

Issue #5 got pushed to January or something

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Dodge and Misfit and that gymnast kid that Dick showed how to use a trapeze in the last Nightwing issue should form their own team.

It's funny, because not too long ago Jim Lee admitted the delays where his fault, and that Miller was all set to go.

Isn't Jim Lee drawing like..2 books at the moment? I know he's got the whole "DC Comics MMO" project thing but christ, he won't even let another artist do a fill in till he catches up. It's a pride thing.

Bad Karma on
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Speaking of Nightwing, given that I've recently grown fond of the Robin series, is Nightwing worth picking up monthly?

Zodiac Brave on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Speaking of Nightwing, given that I've recently grown fond of the Robin series, is Nightwing worth picking up monthly?

Not sure about the current run, but the Bruce Jones arc was fucking atrocious.

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Give me a month or two before I can comment.

The OYL issues by Bruce Jones were some of the worst things I've ever read. The stuff now (by Marv Wolfman) is only two or three issues in. It's not bad. I mean, it has an interesting story, but the dialogue is average.

Garlic Bread on
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So... what the hell happened at the end of Batman #658? It looked like
    [spoiler:56d6ce2650]Batman was standing with Talia and Damien on the sub, then Talia pressed a button on her wrist, the torpedo hit the sub and suddenly Batman was on the shore watching the explosion. And at what point did the PM's wife get off the sub?[/spoiler:56d6ce2650]

I am teh confused.

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

I picked it up about six months ago, and after the October issue, I told my shop to stop pulling it for me. It's a shame, because I like the character a lot. But I've never had a run on it that I actually liked.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2006
    sullijo wrote:
    So... what the hell happened at the end of Batman #658? It looked like
    [spoiler:75fd85363b]Batman was standing with Talia and Damien on the sub, then Talia pressed a button on her wrist, the torpedo hit the sub and suddenly Batman was on the shore watching the explosion. And at what point did the PM's wife get off the sub?[/spoiler:75fd85363b]

I am teh confused.

[spoiler:75fd85363b]When Batman and Damian land on the sub, he yells at her to run and get to the boat waiting for her, which belongs to the British navy. Ship 'splode, Bats washes ashore.[/spoiler:75fd85363b]

Bad Karma on
    edited November 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Keith wrote:

I picked it up about six months ago, and after the October issue, I told my shop to stop pulling it for me. It's a shame, because I like the character a lot. But I've never had a run on it that I actually liked.

You didn't like the Chuck Dixon stuff?

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    Keith wrote:

You didn't like the Chuck Dixon stuff?

I might have missed the Chuck Dixon stuff. Understand that I have collected off and on for the last 4 or 5 years (more off than on). I would usually go to my local shop, pick up a bunch of titles, then keep buying a few of the ones I sampled for a 3 or 4 months until I would just get too busy or cash-strapped to go back to the shop for awhile. During that time, the Nightwing issues I picked up were not satisfying.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2006
    Dixon wrote the older stuff. I really only have "A Knight in Bludhaven", but it's good stuff. Oh, he wrote Year One, as well. It's not terrific, but it's entertaining

Because I like Nightwing and I like Deadman

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    So.

Did the end of Robin #156 make anyone a little queezy?

Zodiac Brave on
    edited November 2006
    Comics as a public service message kinda reminds of that "The More You Know" stuff from G.I. Joe when I was a kid. But I think DC handled that a lot better than those goofy PSAs.

Also, poor Damian. :( What a fucked up little kid, and it's just not his fault.

Last but not least, what the fuck is up with all the crap inside my direct edition of Robin? 3d glasses? A Teen Titan's cartoon mini-comic that makes the damn centerfold overstuffed and distended? Goddamnit, DC, I know you need ad revenue, but this is downright ridiculous.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Last but not least, what the fuck is up with all the crap inside my direct edition of Robin? 3d glasses? A Teen Titan's cartoon mini-comic that makes the damn centerfold overstuffed and distended? Goddamnit, DC, I know you need ad revenue, but this is downright ridiculous.

All of that was in Superman Confidential, too

I didn't mind, though, as I lost my other pair of 3D glasses

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Comics as a public service message kinda reminds of that "The More You Know" stuff from G.I. Joe when I was a kid. But I think DC handled that a lot better than those goofy PSAs.

The question is..did you get to read the story? If so, then all is right in the world.

Bad Karma on
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

The question is..did you get to read the story? If so, then all is right in the world.

I know. I needed to vent it, though.

A little more on the Robin story: I think they handled the issue really well. They took a mature approach and didn't talk down to the audience. I'm not sure that it's award-worthy, but it's close.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

I know. I needed to vent it, though.

A little more on the Robin story: I think they handled the issue really well. They took a mature approach and didn't talk down to the audience. I'm not sure that it's award-worthy, but it's close.

It definately was handled well for the PSA type of story (I always remember the "Don't play on train tracks" episode of B:TAS when PSAs come up *shudder*), but... it was a PSA.

Zodiac Brave on
    edited November 2006
    Someone spoil Robin for me. I have no idea when I'll get around to reading it, but I'd like to know what this "PSA" stuff's about

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Someone spoil Robin for me. I have no idea when I'll get around to reading it, but I'd like to know what this "PSA" stuff's about

[spoiler:7c0b0bbabb]The entire issue ends up being an anti-suicide message. Robin talks a kid down from jumping off a building without really seeming like he is doing it. At the same time, he helps himself realize what he needs to start doing to work through his feelings of guilt over recent events (i.e., Cassie and Dodge). The final page has a 1-800 number for the Suicide Hotline.[/spoiler:7c0b0bbabb]

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2006
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Robin is probably one of the books that benefited most from OYL, because it is awesome now.

Furu on
    edited November 2006
    11zg0.png

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    Sexy time?

Zodiac Brave on
This discussion has been closed.