As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Now F2P - HoT expansion is LIVE! Guild missions Sun @ Noon & Mon @ 5pm Pacific!

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Also, the vast majority of the benefit from Ascended gear comes from the Weapon and Trinkets. I'd focus on those first (and they are cheaper!) before you go for armor. Full Ascended armor, in the very best case, will only increase your DPS by less than 5%, and if you have other buffs to your damage (Food, infusions), it ends up being even less than that. Hell, being able to whip up good damaging food is more important and cost-effective than Ascended Armor.

It's good to have full Ascended if you can afford it, and you should eke out as much utility as possible. But again, Trinkets and Weapon(s) first.

Good to know!

So I think I'll work on some Viper weapons and trinkets and figure out my mess of exotic armor that is all over the place. A goal! Of course my crafting is at 0, so I'll have to start there. I'm also sitting on 1 million karma and 200 something laurels. Maybe I can do something with those to speed things along. To the Google!

Thanks a ton.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    So, question: I have a level 80 ranger in mostly Exotic Soldier's armor (gifted to me by a friend) and whatever weapons I've gotten just from playing. I don't have a good sense of builds or synergies - I just run with whatever is fun and seems useful at the time. I'm a terrible tactician, but I can follow instructions, provided they're clear (i.e., not "Stand over there! No, over there!!").

Can I feasibly come do fractals and/or raids with you guys without dragging you down?

(My first raiding experience was in WoW, with a jerk who would run my underleveled character through with his level 80, and then get mad and yell at me because I didn't know exactly where to go or what to do on my very first time. It soured me on the whole experience, and since then, I haven't really attempted instanced content except very rarely with a couple of close friends; but I'd like to play more.)

As a cat that likes being herded, I can definitely tell you that you should be good to go into fractals- lower level ones at first will help you familiarize yourself with the encounters, then go from there. I'm sure Sharkey and the others might be sick of me for always asking questions, but I have yet to see a finer group of cat-herders around. ;)

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So, question: I have a level 80 ranger in mostly Exotic Soldier's armor (gifted to me by a friend) and whatever weapons I've gotten just from playing. I don't have a good sense of builds or synergies - I just run with whatever is fun and seems useful at the time. I'm a terrible tactician, but I can follow instructions, provided they're clear (i.e., not "Stand over there! No, over there!!").

Can I feasibly come do fractals and/or raids with you guys without dragging you down?

(My first raiding experience was in WoW, with a jerk who would run my underleveled character through with his level 80, and then get mad and yell at me because I didn't know exactly where to go or what to do on my very first time. It soured me on the whole experience, and since then, I haven't really attempted instanced content except very rarely with a couple of close friends; but I'd like to play more.)

You're more than welcome to join for fractals, raids might be a bit different since we're definitely in the "Throw yourself into failure while slowly getting better and the hang of it" part of it and you really should have a good grasp on your own character, but once a few more of us have a much better grasp on the fights and encounters, you'll be welcome there too. The guild is super welcoming, especially to those who are interested in learning. I'll never get angry at someone for being bad at the game, as long as they're doing their best to get better. Its the ones who are horrendous then just say "Fuck it im bad" and never try to better themselves that annoy me. :p

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    The most gold I've ever had at once is just over 160. With about 125 right now, I know I'm not, but this database just makes me feel poor.

The most I've had is about 8 gold

edit: and I've been playing off and on since launch

1375 ish.

and then i bought dawn.

It hurt.

Played gem market. Silverwaste'd on weekends to make bank. used birthday gift cards for more gems. not fun grinding dough.

What are your (not just you, Mojo, but everyone's) thoughts on buying gems to trade for gold? I HATE grinding for gold, but it seems like with only 30 or so in the bank that I am going to be a long time getting any Ascended gear grafted and a REALLY long time getting a legendary in my hands.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I end up buying skins instead of gold...

Honestly, I don't care if people buy gold. It's their money and choice. Gold isn't super hard to make once you're familiar with the game systems, but unless you really focus on it, it still comes slow without luck.

Feldorn on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I have ascended rings. And an amulet too IIRC. Earrings are only exotic at the moment. Might have to cough up the ectos and buy them with laurels, since I don't get online for guild missions.
    You can also do the Cheevos for Living Story Season 2 to get free Sinister trinkets (each episode has one free trinket for doing all the cheevos). They are a bit of a pain, but it's less pain than waiting for enough laurels to come around.

I'm actually going through LS2 (slowly) so that I can get the stuff I need to craft Mawdrey. Haven't really been going after the achievements since I know I wouldn't be able to do those without help. I figure I'll get the story done, then when someone's able to help out with cheevos, I'll do 'em then.
    You can't even start the cheevos until you finish the chapter anyway, so yeah, you'll have to do the story first.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Kendrik wrote: »
    The most gold I've ever had at once is just over 160. With about 125 right now, I know I'm not, but this database just makes me feel poor.

1375 ish.

and then i bought dawn.

It hurt.

Played gem market. Silverwaste'd on weekends to make bank. used birthday gift cards for more gems. not fun grinding dough.

What are your (not just you, Mojo, but everyone's) thoughts on buying gems to trade for gold? I HATE grinding for gold, but it seems like with only 30 or so in the bank that I am going to be a long time getting any Ascended gear grafted and a REALLY long time getting a legendary in my hands.
    I make about 10 gold a day from doing about 30 minutes of gathering every day. It's really hard to get out of the habit of hoarding everything, but I figure that once something hits 250 in storage, anything above that is fair game. :D

Some key Gathering areas:
    * Know your Iron gather spots! Rich Iron gives you around 15 or more ores (as opposed to other Rich veins), and sells for a decent amount on the Trading Post at all times, since it's used for TWO tiers of crafting.
    * Seaweed sells for around 15-20s every day. It spawns in random locations, but they are generally in the same areas all the time. You can find some harvesting maps for Seaweed online.
    * Passion Fruit sells for around 1s every day. This sucks. However, Passion Flowers are a rare drop from Passiflora and always drop from Blooming Passiflora, and these sell for 50-70s every day! Just one of these flowers is half a gold!
    * Wood at nearly all tiers is stupidly expensive at 1-5s each.
    * Finally, Flax, while not as expensive as it was in the heyday, is still a heavily traded commodity that can fetch 4-5s each.

Also, a handy tip: The Message of The Day can use waypoint links! So create a "fake" guild, change the MotD to something like this:
    Potato [&BMcDAAA=]S, [&BEIAAAA=]Jump N
    Flax [&BOAHAAA=] Passi [&BNUGAAA=]
    Spinach [&BOQAAAA=]NW
    Wood [&BKYCAAA=]W, [&BPgCAAA=]W
    Plat [&BNQCAAA=]Golem, [&BMwBAAA=]N Cave, [&BB4CAAA=]E-NE Cave
    Iron [&BF4BAAA=]NW, [&BGMAAAA=]S, [&BL8AAAA=]S, [&BKsAAAA=]W>N
    Then you can rep the guild temporarily and view this MotD with all the links to your favorite gathering locations.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Remember that world bosses can drop a lot of coin, too.

Teq can get you a few gold a pop before even considering loot.

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular

I will be fractal in it up this weekend. So if you want we can go from 1 to 20 and then repeat ones you like or want to get better at. I have a ton of keys and need the locked loot boxes that you get for completing them. So I'm just gonna farm the crap out of the low level ones Saturday and Sunday.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams

1375 ish.

and then i bought dawn.

It hurt.

I make about 10 gold a day from doing about 30 minutes of gathering every day. It's really hard to get out of the habit of hoarding everything, but I figure that once something hits 250 in storage, anything above that is fair game. :D

* Know your Iron gather spots! Rich Iron gives you around 15 or more ores (as opposed to other Rich veins), and sells for a decent amount on the Trading Post at all times, since it's used for TWO tiers of crafting.
    * Seaweed sells for around 15-20s every day. It spawns in random locations, but they are generally in the same areas all the time. You can find some harvesting maps for Seaweed online.
    * Passion Fruit sells for around 1s every day. This sucks. However, Passion Flowers are a rare drop from Passiflora and always drop from Blooming Passiflora, and these sell for 50-70s every day! Just one of these flowers is half a gold!
    * Finally, Flax, while not as expensive as it was in the heyday, is still a heavily traded commodity that can fetch 4-5s each.

Also, a handy tip: The Message of The Day can use waypoint links! So create a "fake" guild, change the MotD to something like this:
    Spinach [&BOQAAAA=]NW
    Then you can rep the guild temporarily and view this MotD with all the links to your favorite gathering locations.

This was super useful! Thanks for taking to time to throw this together for me! I've got a little group that I play with (Wife, Friend, Wife of Friend) that could all use some cash, so I'll see if they are up for taking a run at this.

steam_sig.png
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Please do farm seaweed to keep the cost low. In WvW they use seaweed salad as a ranged food.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

You're more than welcome to join for fractals, raids might be a bit different since we're definitely in the "Throw yourself into failure while slowly getting better and the hang of it" part of it and you really should have a good grasp on your own character, but once a few more of us have a much better grasp on the fights and encounters, you'll be welcome there too. The guild is super welcoming, especially to those who are interested in learning. I'll never get angry at someone for being bad at the game, as long as they're doing their best to get better. Its the ones who are horrendous then just say "Fuck it im bad" and never try to better themselves that annoy me. :p

Note that Corrigan WILL get angry at someone if he thinks their outfit is awful. We've seen this happen.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Scrapper complete!

And I just need another 250 fractal relics for my backpack! Please let me know if you don't mind my tagging along to fractals so I can get those. :)

CorriganX wrote: »

Note that Corrigan WILL get angry at someone if he thinks their outfit is awful. We've seen this happen.

Fashion Wars is more than just a play on Guild Wars. There are casualties.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Super Princess Dress Up Extreme is serious business.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
    This is tempting me to come up with the worst fashion combinations possible. Like, the default armor skins in terrible bland dirt color combinations, weaponized specifically to offend Corrigan. :D

In some game modes, they normalize the avatars and costumes to look "generic" so that there isn't an advantage in PvP combat. I wonder if they can make a filter for Corrigan that makes everyone into a pretty princess.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

1375 ish.

and then i bought dawn.

It hurt.

Spinach [&BOQAAAA=]NW

This was super useful! Thanks for taking to time to throw this together for me! I've got a little group that I play with (Wife, Friend, Wife of Friend) that could all use some cash, so I'll see if they are up for taking a run at this.
    Note that my gathering route changes based on prices of the various goods. Lately, I've been skipping the Spinach, and Flax is rapidly settling down to "good, but not great" levels. I update my route about once a month (probably less than that). I also didn't link Seaweed, because the spawn locations are pretty random, so I just hop to the zones that have Seaweed and swim around in the most likely spots.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Productive night! Finished off Reaper thanks to Corr's tour of the Depths that are Tangled, and got my Rev's Weaponsmithing up to 300.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    This is tempting me to come up with the worst fashion combinations possible. Like, the default armor skins in terrible bland dirt color combinations, weaponized specifically to offend Corrigan. :D

In some game modes, they normalize the avatars and costumes to look "generic" so that there isn't an advantage in PvP combat. I wonder if they can make a filter for Corrigan that makes everyone into a pretty princess.

Sharkey's simple guide on how to irk fashionistas in-game:

1) Equip an outfit.
    2) Paint it all black.
    3) That is it

naengwen on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    The siege in the gbank has been great! TY all!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Friar ChuggsFriar Chuggs Registered User regular

Absolutely you can com eFractal and Dungeon with any of us! Next time you're on just pop a request into Guildchat and I'm happy to show you the fractals. They are a very forgiving place to learn and have some really neat mechanics.

• Friar ChuggsFriar Chuggs Registered User regular

If you are someone without a lot of time to play, but lots of disposable income, and a strong desire to upgrade either the quality of your equipment or it's aesthetics then buying gold is great! It's all about what makes playing most fun for you.

But if you like any of the following money methods, then you can earn gold AND have fun playing at the same time.

Gathering - this can be a time efficient and lucrative way to get gold once per day. I don't do this because I don't think it is fun, but if you like doing a little sight-seeing or planning those things, or just want a time-to-gold efficient way to get money, it's great!

World Bosses - Particularly Tequatl and Karka Queen. These are quite fun to do, and can get you several gold in 15-20 minutes or less. There is almost always a crowd of people going from boss to boss, so you can actually spend several hours just fighting giant big bad monsters for pretty good rewards if you want. The bosses are all on timers so just show up a few minutes early, and use the LFG tool to find a map full of people who are doing it (really only applicable to Tequatl and Karka. No LFG necessary for other bosses. Stay away from Triple Trouble and Taida Covington unless you are going with an organized group as they are too difficult to do without many dozens of coordinated players). http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/events.php?serverKey=119&langKey=1

Meta events in the new zones - These can be very lucrative if you find an organized map that has multiple Commanders on it making sure that things succeed.

Trading Post Baron - This is my personal favorite since I'm a nerd and like business. This is probably the single most time-efficient way to make money once you get good at it. I basically just trade during my downtown while I'm waiting for a boss fight, or for a pvp queue, or for group members to show up. It can be time-intensive at first since the economy is very vibrant and constantly evolving, but once you get familiar with it it is probably the best way to get actually Rich to the point where you can afford multiple ascended armor sets, legendaries, and stuff like that. Here is a blog so you can see what it is like: https://samajestay.wordpress.com/

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Stay away from Triple Trouble and Taida Covington unless you are going with an organized group as they are too difficult to do without many dozens of coordinated players).

Whoa whoa whoa. Did I miss something? When did Taidha Covington become difficult content?

Anyone else remember when we used to do pantsless pirate parties on her island....? :)

• ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Stay away from Triple Trouble and Taida Covington unless you are going with an organized group as they are too difficult to do without many dozens of coordinated players).

Whoa whoa whoa. Did I miss something? When did Taidha Covington become difficult content?

Anyone else remember when we used to do pantsless pirate parties on her island....? :)

My secret is... I'm always pantsless.

Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]

I haven't done a Taidha Covington run in a couple of weeks, but I've never seen it fail. It requires zero coordination. Just body count, which may be the issue (since a lot of folks are now off doing HoT content).

If you need Triple Trouble for the cheevos and mastery points, you will want to be taxi'ed into an EVOS map. They explain everything in excruciating detail and are great at herding cats, and often get a triple decap. They generally do the open call for allies at exactly 30 minutes before the start of the event (so if you are fighting an 11PM Triple Trouble, at 10:30PM go to Bloodtide Coast and go to LFG and find a EVOS TT run to taxi yourself), and fill up VERY quickly. PUGs almost always fail it, from what I've seen.

Teq also requires SOME coordination, but most people sort themselves out on Teq Taxi maps.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

If you are someone without a lot of time to play, but lots of disposable income, and a strong desire to upgrade either the quality of your equipment or it's aesthetics then buying gold is great! It's all about what makes playing most fun for you.

But if you like any of the following money methods, then you can earn gold AND have fun playing at the same time.

Gathering - this can be a time efficient and lucrative way to get gold once per day. I don't do this because I don't think it is fun, but if you like doing a little sight-seeing or planning those things, or just want a time-to-gold efficient way to get money, it's great!

World Bosses - Particularly Tequatl and Karka Queen. These are quite fun to do, and can get you several gold in 15-20 minutes or less. There is almost always a crowd of people going from boss to boss, so you can actually spend several hours just fighting giant big bad monsters for pretty good rewards if you want. The bosses are all on timers so just show up a few minutes early, and use the LFG tool to find a map full of people who are doing it (really only applicable to Tequatl and Karka. No LFG necessary for other bosses. Stay away from Triple Trouble and Taida Covington unless you are going with an organized group as they are too difficult to do without many dozens of coordinated players). http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/events.php?serverKey=119&langKey=1

Meta events in the new zones - These can be very lucrative if you find an organized map that has multiple Commanders on it making sure that things succeed.

Trading Post Baron - This is my personal favorite since I'm a nerd and like business. This is probably the single most time-efficient way to make money once you get good at it. I basically just trade during my downtown while I'm waiting for a boss fight, or for a pvp queue, or for group members to show up. It can be time-intensive at first since the economy is very vibrant and constantly evolving, but once you get familiar with it it is probably the best way to get actually Rich to the point where you can afford multiple ascended armor sets, legendaries, and stuff like that. Here is a blog so you can see what it is like: https://samajestay.wordpress.com/

I try to do the trading post thing, but I run into the "gotta have money to make money" problem most of the time. I also have a short attention span for it. I'm thinking I may burn the 800 gems I have on gold as soon as they announce the new wings and then see what i can do from there with the world bosses and gathering. I do enjoy the meta events in Maguuma but I always end up in a shitty zone. I'll try the LFG thing, too.

steam_sig.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Most pug attempt for TT I've seen just stick to downing the Crimson Head. It requires the least amount of coordination and with the condition changes and world bosses now being critable, is usually downed with several minutes to spare.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

It's not difficult in a player skill way, it's just difficult to get enough humans there and participating to get the event done before it fails, or before people give up and move to the next boss.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular

It's that most of the mob will afk expecting someone else to do the actual event.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Hay @CorriganX
    Hay

ENGINEER ROTATION GO

9KmX8eN.jpg
    So happy. Spinal blades backpack complete.

rkkfmwu2z0he.jpg

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    After a fair amount of play-testing, I'm confident in my earlier suspicion that Fire Keep inner is utterly nuts. I would wager a group of 10 could hold off 30-40 attackers for as long as supplies hold. In equal numbers? Defenders should win every time. Huge height advantage, four really biased chokes, and great line of sight options for defensive siege.

In a similar vein, if you have Fire Keep, get the Inferno Hound transformation for roaming. It hits for 3x ~1k or more, piercing, twice a second, it has pulsing 3 stacks of stability, and can turn invulnerable on demand. It's not fantastic for actual fights (though it's certainly not bad; it buffs your health pool significantly), but what it excels at is flipping camps, sentries and shrines really quickly.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    So last week there was no one for Saturday wuv reset - it seems like that may not be the best time? I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to have wuv after sunday missions. A lot of people will be there anyway to do those missions and we can just stick around afterwards. If you still want to do reset let me know though.

So, is there a primer of sorts for infusing your gear with agony resistance somewhere?

• Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    Versatile simple infusions give +5 for 75 fractal relics, and can be slotted into any ascended armor. With fractal mastery 1, you can upgrade the +5 to a +7 with another 75 relics
    back and rings can have be infused or attuned, which gives it one or two agony infusion slots, respectively. This is where you can slot the agony infusions that drop en masse in the fractals. +1 agony infusions can be merged by an artificer or at the fractal mastery 1 merchant into higher level agony infusions. There's no theoretical upper limit, but the cost increases exponentially, so you don't need more than 10-11 AR

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »

Sharkey's simple guide on how to irk fashionistas in-game:

1) Equip an outfit.
    2) Paint it all black.
    3) That is it

With the lunatic guard outfit, even my flames can be black. Worth every penny.

steam_sig.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Is the final Mordremoth fight in your Story bugged ? The
    portal kept spawning off the island for me, out in the air so I couldn't activate it.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Is the final Mordremoth fight in your Story bugged ? The
    portal kept spawning off the island for me, out in the air so I couldn't activate it.

You have 1 shot. If you die the instance bugs in this manner.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    I have heard that if you wait 30 seconds or so before you respawn that it fixes that bug. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't get one of the other bugs. Personally, I'm waiting until they get it fixed. It is waaaaaay to long to repeat.

Fun times at the raid! I thought we did pretty good for a first run with a few people (like me!) with horrible gear. In honor of Thanksgiving, I am thankful I now know the difference between Toughness and Armor.

I got my armor smithing to 500 last night, and will be working to correct that!

This discussion has been closed.