As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Community Steins 2016 - Project Pending...

Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat PersonBostonRegistered User regular
edited February 2016 in PAX East
Current Discussion(s):
With 23 responses in after a few weeks, voting is closed for the banner discussion:
ucb2ptwwuxdh.png
With this decided, I will be working on getting some drafts up with the crest + banner.

In the next couple of weeks, I will be researching glass styles (flasks will be considered as well, since there was a lot of talk about that). Once I have some main styles selected, we'll put a vote out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last year was a success considering it was my first go at any project of this magnitude and only having about a month to put it all together. However, mistakes were made, lessons were learned, and here's to hoping this year goes better than last year.

I do not yet have a timeline on how things will proceed, but I do plan to be amazingly more organized than last year. Some of the main things that will change this year are:
  • The year in a banner somewhere on the glass to make it more of a collectable; participants last year thought this would be a fun idea. I'll need someone who is good with graphic design to help out with this, unless you want something that looks like a 4-year old wrote on it. I got mad MSPaint skills, yo.
  • Different meeting location; carrying those boxes up stairs was not fun. I plan to still have it very close by, but not up any god damn stairs.
  • Later meeting time; smack in the middle of the day was a terrible idea for everyone involved, especially me. I'm thinking after the exhibit floor closes.
  • Better communication; some non-forumers never picked up their stein, which I feel bad about, but the general communication can easily be greatly improved.
  • Other logistics that none of you will ever see, but should make my life so much easier (e.g. different delivery location from the freight company, improved delivery to the event, better storage planning).
  • I will not be offering to wash the mugs. That was a terrible idea that left my hands bruised, even though I only got through 3 of the 12 boxes.
  • The possibility of going with a more business oriented ordering service. While GoFundMe worked, per se, it was a managing nightmare to keep up with who picked up, how many, what name was it under, were there multiple orders, why did I do the checklist drunk, etc.
  • Charging a couple extra dollars per stein. Last year's charges ran extremely close to $0. There were too many unknowns, but for the most part it worked. The donation amount was small, but it's something. Adding a little more per unit will help recoup costs and increase the donation total.

For those who don't know about this, the images below were last year's steins:
ctfk5oohrqsu.jpg
f1tjemobg7y9.jpg

If you want to get a feel for the process, you can feel free to look at last year's thread. All proceeds will be donated to Child's Play.

Sorry that there isn't much content right now. I just wanted to get this tossed out now so we can start thinking about things early. I'm going to really appreciate not freaking out about this for a month straight.

Stay tuned for more updates, my people!

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
Le_Goat on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is probably a good time to ping @Yamara about updating the community crest design with the other two pax colors.

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    I didn't participate in this this year and I should have. This looks like fun.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    if its a cup instead of a stine i may be interested this year

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It most likely will not be a stein. The consensus has been to be different each year.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    yoshi718yoshi718 Registered User regular
    i'm in this year too let me know.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Count me in for 1 non-stein.

I'd be more militant this time around, like 6:30pm to 7pm during PAX, as well as Thursday before at the Weston from say 7pm to 9pm. Aka, if you want your collectable cup, take the time to get it, and if you miss the window, you'll have to pay for shipping.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    hsu wrote: »
    I'd be more militant this time around, like 6:30pm to 7pm during PAX, as well as Thursday before at the Weston from say 7pm to 9pm. Aka, if you want your collectable cup, take the time to get it.
    Last year, I was going for the "Let's please everyone!" mindframe and it took it's toll on me. However, if I want to be more strict about it, I need to be better organized and ready to go, which I definitely plan to be this year.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Count me in again this year. The stein was awesome last year, but it can be anything from a teacup to a keg and I'll still buy it, hehe.

As for the whole process in general, I guess you could do something like with the forum badges. Pick a few design options, let people vote on them, and just do it. Definitely form a strict schedule and stick with it. You can't please everyone all of the time.

• Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Count me in again this year. The stein was awesome last year, but it can be anything from a teacup to a keg and I'll still buy it, hehe.

As for the whole process in general, I guess you could do something like with the forum badges. Pick a few design options, let people vote on them, and just do it. Definitely form a strict schedule and stick with it. You can't please everyone all of the time.

Let's make the PAX keg a thing!

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    God, that was a spur of the moment joke, but yeh, I really would so buy that!!! :)

• Options
    I can't even begin to imagine what the shipment would look like. 12-13 boxes took two pallets last year.

• Options
    SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Count me in for 3 again. If you need help with anything let me know seeing how I am local to the Boston area.

How about a goblet this year :)

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat the steins were awesome last year and your dedication really showed and was above and beyond. I'll certainly be ordering a new stein this year. I still have to figure out my travel plans and figure out when I'll be arriving in Boston but once I know I'll hit you up and see if there is any way I can help ya. Not sure how you managed the absurdity that was that many boxes of steins.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    The steins were amazing, I bought five and could have used even more, everyone loved them. I'll be participating in whatever beverage container project you embark upon this time as well. :-)

• Options
    melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    I'm in this year. I love the stein from last year it was very good quality. Have you thought of using Kickstarter?

• Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    I am definitely in for one or maybe two...bringing along a good friend who is a first timer to PAX with me this year.

Also, would love to play another game of Star Wars X-Wing with ya again, was one of the highlights of last year...full stein of beer, a fun game to play, and good company :)

0j92muX.png
  • Options
    angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    Definitely in for at least 2 :D Can't wait!~ So excited :D

• Options
    Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    Definitely at least 1!

Who is going to PAX South?
  • Options
    Ju~onJu~on Registered User new member
    The steins were the highlight of everything I got last year, I will absolutely be signing up for one of whatever is settled on.

• Options
    You all are awesome. Thanks for the support. I was crazy nervous that something bad would happen the whole time.

As for Kickstarter, I have not looked deeply into it, but will. I am totally open to suggestions on things, so nothing is set in stone.

• Options
    quikblendquikblend CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I would totally be down for two also!

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    My steins from 3 years ago are still going strong, but I'm definitely in for whatever we decide on!

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Will keep in mind. Transporting home would be the biggest consideration. I'm a scotch drinker myself ... so etched tumblrs or tasting snifters ???? Just throwing it out there. :-)

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    PNeafseyPNeafsey Registered User regular
    Sad I missed the stein, but down for any glass.

• Options
    eilonwyeilonwy Registered User regular
    I'm interested in whatever you make.

• Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    I'd love to get in on whatever you do this year, I love my stein.

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    cbrcbr Registered User regular
    I definitely want one too! Just used my stein from last year the other day. Also, Kickstarter probably wouldn't be good because you get charged like 5-10% of total funds raised.

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    We LOVE our steins from last year. Would be curious to see the new crest and getting some glassware with that. wondering if we'll be having festivities at the Westin again this year, with no attendees there. Might have to figure out a different pick-up plan too.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    This is probably a good time to ping @Yamara about updating the community crest design with the other two pax colors.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    I still have an amazing stein from 2013 or 2014 so no need here. but if we did something else -- perhaps mugs? smaller tumblers? i'd be all for it. dishwasher and microwave safe, of course.

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'd be in for a glass this year...maybe not another stein but definitely a pint or maybe a whisky glass.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    It could be a test tube for all I care, put me down for 2!

• Options
    ChoujicosplayerChoujicosplayer Cape Cod, MARegistered User regular
    Definitely in for one

Get some cookies, so you can eat 'em and grow up big and strong and kick Piston in the butt-butt.
  • Options
    MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    hey you still need help with graphics? also to the keg idea there are such things as the mini-keg and keg-cans now..... just sayin
    also (obviously) in for one
    (also side note, you may wish to look into laser etching with the same silkscreen put on after, it can give an almost embossed feel to the print)

• Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    Last year, didn't we have a vote between stein and tankard? I think we should resurrect the tankard idea. Surprised no one has thought about a PAX flask either.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    pilotman996pilotman996 Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I think we should resurrect the tankard idea. Surprised no one has thought about a PAX flask either.

I think the tankard or flask idea would be kinda cool!

And Le_Goat, if you need any Logistics help, I'm in the area.

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • Options
    MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    Last year, didn't we have a vote between stein and tankard? I think we should resurrect the tankard idea. Surprised no one has thought about a PAX flask either.

*looks at sentence*......

"Surprised no one has thought about a PAX flask either."
    "a PAX flask"
    "PAX flask"

...........OMFW IF YOU DON'T DO THIS I WILL FIND YOU!!!! DOO EEET!!

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Chalk up another vote for a flask!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    ...........OMFW IF YOU DON'T DO THIS I WILL FIND YOU!!!! DOO EEET!!
    I'm a delicate flower, so go easy on me

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I've been speaking with Yamara about the crest design. What we're thinking is to have a banner at the top of the crest (like the "Welcome Home" part of the lapel), but done in the same style as the crest we used last year. Instead of saying "Welcome Home," we'll have "2016" or "PAX East 2016" written inside. This is something we'll need to decide on. I don't know how much work Yamara will have to put into it, but I'd like to refrain from inconveniencing our friend too much. Let's toss out ideas on the banner, then I'll get a form together so we can start voting on that.

EDIT: I just remembered that previous PAX Community glasses have never had anything on it that said what the event was. This was done intentionally, as they wanted the mugs to be all-encompassing of the community, and not just the event. This is only my second go on this project, and I'd really hate to start destroying a many-year-long tradition by shattering the ideal of "all-encompassing." In other words, I don't want to be known as "that dick that screwed up the mug tradition." That being said, we may just want to stick with the year.

In addition to the banner, there is the notion of color. Yamara is working on new colors for Aus/South, so there is the question of putting color on things like the lightening bolt. We're already at 4 colors (black, blue, red, white), which means we're at the full color options (options are 1-, 2-, 3-, and Full-Color). However, there is the concern of getting too complicated. My feeling is (and this is just my unprofessional opinion) that I enjoy the simplicity of the design. Conversely, having yellow lightning bolts will help define the Pokemon ball even more. However, this is not my mug - this is our mug. I'll be cool with anything we do, within reason of course.

From what I'm reading so far, the two styles that most people have shown interest for is a tankard and a flask. The tankard option will be easy to find, but the flask could be trickier. I'll still look for other options as well, just like last year. If you have any other suggestions, definitely spit them out. There are no stupid ideas here; we're in brainstorming mode. Even if you think something sounds lame, it can totally spur another idea (e.g., what might look good, what to stay away from). This is a community mug/glass/tankard/flask/whatever, so it's designed by all of us.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Custom Flasks:
    I spent a little time today looking for a place to do custom flasks. While many exist, none that I looked at do multi-color flask designs. I'm sure there is some place out there that puts some crappy sticker on it, but that's not what we're going to want. I know that last year's vendor does not support multicolored custom flasks. However, if anyone knows of a place, point me in their direction and I'll take a look.

Le_Goat on
This discussion has been closed.