As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2016 BYOC Registration is Available

David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
https://www.showclix.com/event/PAXEast16BYOCBringYourOwnComputer

More information will be coming soon, of course!

• CorleyCorley Registered User regular
    Purchased. Will be nice to be there again after missing PAX East 2015

• A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    YEEEE BYOC!!!!! I hope BYOC BUCKLEY will be there again....

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • someguy25someguy25 Registered User new member
    Quick question, if we're picking up our badges at the expo hall, will the BYOC badges be included or are they still mailed out?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I believe BYOC fulfillment is a separate process from the other badges, but you should email pax_questions@paxsite.com to be sure.

• David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited November 2015
    They would still be mailed out.

Edit: We've updated this policy and will now be arranging delivery of BYOC badges to be included with your normal badge delivery, however you've elected those badges to be delivered. Sorry for the misinformation!

David Coffman on
  • someguy25someguy25 Registered User new member
    Great... thx Zerzhul and David for letting me know.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Wow, what is going on today?!? Badges are falling from the sky!!!

• TheYimTheYim Registered User regular
    hnghvoh3g669.png

Gettin up with our Prime badges.. Nice!

• rachaelmikarachaelmika Registered User regular
    Got mine! Thank you for posting (:

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Someone on r/PAX posted 'I can finally return to my life' with ticket sales being through. I knew I wouldn't be fully satisfied until I got BYOC passes out of the way.

See y'all in 2016! I've been working on my rig specifically to show off at BYOC :)

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    I'm in! See ya guys there with a new mod! I should probably start working on that...

thorkon wrote: »
    I'm in! See ya guys there with a new mod! I should probably start working on that...

Love your mods! Maybe it's time for a case in the design of the PAX East logo?

8elUgf9.png

• BarkBark Registered User regular
    Happy to say I will be back again with my two adult kids. It has become an annual event for the three of us. Really looking forward to it.

sl1ao1t19fl8.png
  • MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    hey i was not able to get a pax badge directly (thanks to twitter yet again screwing me over, you guys really need to use something else) but am getting one through stubhub again, so how would i get my BYOC pass? do i just go to will call at the entrance

Mechcondrid on
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    hey i was not able to get a pax badge directly (thanks to twitter yet again screwing me over, you guys really need to use something else) but am getting one through stubhub again, so how would i get my BYOC pass? do i just go to will call at the entrance

Just buy though the link https://www.showclix.com/event/PAXEast16BYOCBringYourOwnComputer and they will mail them to you.

Just a word for the wise, i'd recommend not only using Twitter's notification alert function but to subscribe to Official_PAX through 40404 via Text & email.

8elUgf9.png

Just a word for the wise, i'd recommend not only using Twitter's notification alert function but to subscribe to Official_PAX through 40404 via Text & email.

HA! thats the part that pisses me off I ALREADY HAVE!!!
    i even have the texts going to both my cell AND my google voice

• TTMTTM Registered User new member
    Who is running BYOC this year?

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Vapok is running PC as a whole this year. I'm not sure yet who is running anything in PC.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    What is the deal with group seating this year? Number requirements? How to register? Thanks!

HA! thats the part that pisses me off I ALREADY HAVE!!!
    i even have the texts going to both my cell AND my google voice
    *shrug* Works for everyone else.

Also, whomever is running the show this year, I will cry if there's no Duck Game tourney.

8elUgf9.png

Kilonum wrote: »
    Vapok is running PC as a whole this year. I'm not sure yet who is running anything in PC.

is it the same people doing the steel battalion tourny?

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    Steel Battalion was run out of classic console free play at South this past weekend.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    MrFett21 wrote: »
    What is the deal with group seating this year? Number requirements? How to register? Thanks!

Minimum will probably be 6 like it is normally. Expect group seating to open roughly a month before.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    I hope they can run a CS:GO or Dota 2 tournament would love to form a team and play in one or both of those.

Steel Battalion was run out of classic console free play at South this past weekend.

!
    BLASPHEMEY
    Steel Battalion is the definition of classic!
    and i'll hear no arguments to the contrary!

• thorkonthorkon Registered User regular

!
    BLASPHEMEY
    Steel Battalion is the definition of classic!
    and i'll hear no arguments to the contrary!

You're getting it mixed up. The SB tournament is ran in the Classic Console room on one of the other floors, not in the byoc room.

• TheYimTheYim Registered User regular
    No BYOC information thread yet for this year?. Guess we're in for a surprise. Definitely missing Vapok already!

• joker5542joker5542 Registered User regular
    any updates or info for byoc less then 2 months out?!??!??!

• CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    I've never done BYOC but I'm interested in doing it this year; I would be doing BYOC solo so I was wondering if there are a lot of pick up games at BYOC and what games are played. It'd be fun to get some Rocket League matches going.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    I've never done BYOC but I'm interested in doing it this year; I would be doing BYOC solo so I was wondering if there are a lot of pick up games at BYOC and what games are played. It'd be fun to get some Rocket League matches going.

There are usually some tournies and things that are run by the BYOC. There are usually two to three a day and two to three other games. (musical chairs, cpu shuffleboard) We have a group of like 10. You can play games with us :)

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    Is there seating selections for groups yet?? anyone?

I would wager a guess at maybe 1 month out for that, but I don't know for sure.

• Merlin_KMMerlin_KM The Gentleman Wookie Western MARegistered User regular
    First time BYOC this year, solo. Always walked past the area saying..."Next year!". Just wondering if there is any good resource for rules/info on the whole thing? I've found the Wiki but the rules it lays out seem very Con specific. Or are the specifics released closer to the con like zerzhul said? Thx!

"Coincidence? The Universe is rarely so lazy."
  • hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    Until they give an update for this year, you can check out the FAQ and info from last year here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/194427/2015-byoc-information-see-you-next-year/p1

Rule wise it's pretty much con rules. Added in especially to not mess with other people's stuff. (Think that's a con rule we well anyway) Also remember only people with a byoc pass will be allowed in. So if your gf/bf/dude who wants to look at your rig wants in, they will be told no.
    The things that are important before hand. Remember a 25 ft Ethernet cable. (You might be closer, but you might be at 25 feet, always bring the long one. They are like 8 bucks on amazon) Update your comp before you arrive for all games you think you might ever play. Dl speeds tend to take a tad longer once you are there. Remember all your cables, pieces, accessories. You will only have two plug ins available so remember USB cords for everything else.
    That tends to be my checklist when packing. I just bring a laptop to play, but you might need more gear if you are bringing something larger.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

Yeah I think someone updated the wiki to be specific to pax aus because aus was the one coming up at the time. It would be great if someone could split it out into rules for separate paxen on the wiki. They're *mostly* the same pax to pax, but aus has some specific things that are different.

hadiwist wrote: »
    Until they give an update for this year, you can check out the FAQ and info from last year here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/194427/2015-byoc-information-see-you-next-year/p1

That was incredibly helpful! Thank you so much! My biggest concern was if I could bring a 27" monitor, I only have the one, so otherwise i'd have to borrow a friends 24". Other than that, i'm all set. Any Battlefield folks here?

I am debating posting this, because it was for South, and NOT EAST. I also tried editing out the South specific stuff, but some of the information will help give you an idea of what info you will get in the future. I get being type A and being new. It can be frustrating to not have some broad vision of whats coming. Some things at East are different, but the gist is mostly the same. Obviously times and drop offs and details will change. My email says I got this on Jan 24, about 5 days out from South.

SO ONCE AGAIN THIS IS THE EMAIL FOR PAX SOUTH IN JAN 2016, AND NOT FOR EAST!!!

Hello!

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX South to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together this little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums at https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202573/pax-south-byoc-registration

--- PAX South Badge Registration ---

Your PAX South BYOC badges should be mailed to you shortly if you haven't received them already. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contact registration@paxsite.com.

--- Getting There ---

If you're driving to PAX South with your computer in tow, we have temporary load and unload parking available via the Alamo Street Loading Docks. It's right off Alamo street just barely North of Villita Street, and it's only accessible via the northbound lanes.

Here's an ultra zoomed in map: http://bit.ly/1x6gByW.

Here is what the entrance looks like: https://goo.gl/maps/wEwHt

Isn't technology great?

Once parked, bring your gear up the ramp into the Table Top Area and start heading to the right. About half way down the wall to the right of the Table Top Area will be the BYOC Registration Entrance, and we'll be able to get you covered there. Be warned, the parking in the loading dock is for load in and load out only...you have about 5-10 minutes. Sorry, but we have to be super duper strict on this!

If you aren't driving, just haul your gear straight to the PC Room - let the Enforcers know you're checking into BYOC and you shouldn't have any problems. You can hopefully get a feel for how to get there once in the building via this map, and when in doubt, just ask any of our Enforcers.

Be warned there is construction going on in the area, these details are subject to change, and an email will go out if changes are made.

The PC Room has early entry on Friday (and only Friday) to find a seat and set up your gear - we'll be starting load-in at 8:30 AM. Saturday and Sunday opening will be normal PAX times - 10:00am.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

- BYOC Pass (if you did Will Call, get it from the Info Booth before trying to check in!)
    - Computer
    - Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
    - Keyboard
    - Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
    - Mouse pad
    - Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient, but longer is always better)
    - Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
    - Headphones
    - Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to help out.

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is limited!

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

***AGAIN, PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE***

The PAX South BYOC schedule is as follows:

Friday: 8:30 am - 12:00am
    Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am
    Sunday: 10:00am - 6:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule can be found on our online schedule at http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc-s.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in. The PAX South BYOC twitter account is @BYOC_South, and can be followed for updates leading up to and during the show.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent iPods, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have a Discord and Ventrilo client available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you install and update your voice chat clients before you come to the event. You can download the clients at https://discordapp.com/apps and http://ventrilo.com

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX, please see the BYOC Help Desk (near the entrance of BYOC). If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved.

That's all we've got! Thanks for reading all this, and see y'all at PAX!
    ==============================================

e6txb8m8cavf.png

mayapple wrote: »
    I am debating posting this, because it was for South, and NOT EAST. I also tried editing out the South specific stuff, but some of the information will help give you an idea of what info you will get in the future. I get being type A and being new. It can be frustrating to not have some broad vision of whats coming. Some things at East are different, but the gist is mostly the same. Obviously times and drop offs and details will change. My email says I got this on Jan 24, about 5 days out from South.

SO ONCE AGAIN THIS IS THE EMAIL FOR PAX SOUTH IN JAN 2016, AND NOT FOR EAST!!!

Hello!

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX South to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together this little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums at https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202573/pax-south-byoc-registration

--- PAX South Badge Registration ---

Your PAX South BYOC badges should be mailed to you shortly if you haven't received them already. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contact registration@paxsite.com.

--- Getting There ---

If you're driving to PAX South with your computer in tow, we have temporary load and unload parking available via the Alamo Street Loading Docks. It's right off Alamo street just barely North of Villita Street, and it's only accessible via the northbound lanes.

Here's an ultra zoomed in map: http://bit.ly/1x6gByW.

Here is what the entrance looks like: https://goo.gl/maps/wEwHt

Isn't technology great?

Once parked, bring your gear up the ramp into the Table Top Area and start heading to the right. About half way down the wall to the right of the Table Top Area will be the BYOC Registration Entrance, and we'll be able to get you covered there. Be warned, the parking in the loading dock is for load in and load out only...you have about 5-10 minutes. Sorry, but we have to be super duper strict on this!

If you aren't driving, just haul your gear straight to the PC Room - let the Enforcers know you're checking into BYOC and you shouldn't have any problems. You can hopefully get a feel for how to get there once in the building via this map, and when in doubt, just ask any of our Enforcers.

Be warned there is construction going on in the area, these details are subject to change, and an email will go out if changes are made.

The PC Room has early entry on Friday (and only Friday) to find a seat and set up your gear - we'll be starting load-in at 8:30 AM. Saturday and Sunday opening will be normal PAX times - 10:00am.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

- BYOC Pass (if you did Will Call, get it from the Info Booth before trying to check in!)
    - Computer
    - Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
    - Keyboard
    - Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
    - Mouse pad
    - Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient, but longer is always better)
    - Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
    - Headphones
    - Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to help out.

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is limited!

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

***AGAIN, PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE***

The PAX South BYOC schedule is as follows:

Friday: 8:30 am - 12:00am
    Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am
    Sunday: 10:00am - 6:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule can be found on our online schedule at http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc-s.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in. The PAX South BYOC twitter account is @BYOC_South, and can be followed for updates leading up to and during the show.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent iPods, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have a Discord and Ventrilo client available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you install and update your voice chat clients before you come to the event. You can download the clients at https://discordapp.com/apps and http://ventrilo.com

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX, please see the BYOC Help Desk (near the entrance of BYOC). If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved.

That's all we've got! Thanks for reading all this, and see y'all at PAX!
    ==============================================

Thanks any more insight is really helpful. (Now I'm pretty comfortable I'll be able to bring my 27") But 5 days out? Wow. I guess it could be worse, but they don't give you a lot of time to prepare.

This discussion has been closed.