As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TOURNAMENT CENTRAL: RULES AND MORE!

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That is not at all what I said, and neither did I imply anything of the sort.

I was merely stating that there is no fucking way that Thor would beat Captain Marvel either by preventing Billy from turning into Captain Marvel or by forcing a transformation.

I'm also pretty sure that Billy wouldn't resort to the lightning as a fighting tactic, because, hey, Thor's a god of lightning and Marvel has the wisdom of Solomon telling him god damnit no that is a bad idea.

He might use it to catch Thor off-guard and escape from a headlock or something, but that's it.

The fight between Captain Marvel and Thor would still depend mainly on strength, durability, speed and strategy.

Spectre-x on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, now we have to go on from the basis that Marvel can rip guys like Thor limb from limb.

How can he lose?

Scooter on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Well, now we have to go on from the basis that Marvel can rip guys like Thor limb from limb.

How can he lose?

Well, since Specter is backing him...apparently he can't.
    Spectre-x wrote:
    The fight between Captain Marvel and Thor would still depend mainly on strength, durability, speed and strategy.

From what ive read on wikipedia, the only place where Marvel really beats Thor in these categories is in speed.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    I don't think the lightning is controlled by Zeus, but rather Shazam. Zeus supposedly fuels the thunderbolt, though.

Makes no difference, then, because Shazam is far, far, FAR more powerful than Thor, too. He almost managed to kill the Spectre.

The Spectre, who can juggle planets and rearrange solar systems and who tears beings like Thor apart limb from limb.

So yeah, Thor can't control Captain Marvel's lightning.

That would matter if Thor was fighting Shazzam. He is fighting Marvel, who gets his power from Shazzam. That is like saying that the Silver Surfer is just as powerful as Galactus because that is where he got his powers.

Yes, see, that is not at all what I am saying anywhere. I am saying that Thor can't fuck with Captain Marvel's lightning because it is sent down by Shazam, who could (but wouldn't) squash Thor like a bug.

And even if it weren't controlled by Shazam, it would still be controlled by Captain Marvel, whose control over his own lightning would probably be greater than Thor's control over it, seeing as it's not Thor's lightning, it's not natural lightning, and it's made of god damned magic and powered by Zeus, who is more powerful than Thor.

But whatever.

Thor cannot beat Captain Marvel by controlling his lightning. That's dumb for a variety of reasons, many of which I have already stated here.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    And even if it weren't controlled by Shazam, it would still be controlled by Captain Marvel, whose control over his own lightning would probably be greater than Thor's control over it, seeing as it's not Thor's lightning, it's not natural lightning, and it's made of god damned magic and powered by Zeus, who is more powerful than Thor.

Thor and Zeus are both gods of lightning. Ones godship over lightning is not more powerful than another. Ive explained it before, Zeus on a whole is more powerful than Thor, but when you get down to their power over lightning they are on the same level.

Marvel commands his specific magic lightning when he needs it. Thor is the god of lightning and commands it as he sees fit.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    I'm really sorry but I'm actually kind of starting to question your intelligence now. Are you retarded?

I said that the SPECTRE could tear guys like Thor limb from limb.

Captain Marvel is just as strong as Thor, because he's just as strong as Superman, who is just as strong as Thor.

I never, not even ONCE said anything that implied that Captain Marvel could tear Thor limb from limb, or even defeat him with any kind of ease. I ONLY said that Thor couldn't fuck with Captain Marvel's magical lightning because:

1- It's controlled by both himself and Shazam. Shazam's control over it is certainly greater than Thor's, seeing as Shazam fucking owns it and Shazam is at the very least an Odin-level being. And Captain Marvel's control over it is probably greater than Thor's because:
    2- It's pure magical lightning and it's his and one of his powers IS CONTROL OVER HIS MAGICAL LIGHTNING.

You guys are just cutting up my posts in your heads and combining random sentence fragments. Cut it out.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Thor and Zeus are both gods of lightning. Ones godship over lightning is not more powerful than another. Ive explained it before, Zeus on a whole is more powerful than Thor, but when you get down to their power over lightning they are on the same level.

Marvel commands his specific magic lightning when he needs it. Thor is the god of lightning and commands it as he sees fit.

Thor does not control Marvel's magical lightning. It's not something Thor can summon. It's sent down by Shazam,

And if Zeus's control over lightning is equal to Thor's, Thor still shouldn't be able to control it, because his control is not greater than Zeus's or Shazam's.

Spectre-x on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    Updated results:

Thor - 122
    Hulk - 88
    J'onn - 86
    Namor - 2

Wonder Woman - 122
    Shade - 119
    Captain America - 26
    Rogue - 21

DJ Eebs on
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Thor does not control Marvel's magical lightning. It's not something Thor can summon. It's sent down by Shazam,

And if Zeus's control over lightning is equal to Thor's, Thor still shouldn't be able to control it, because his control is not greater than Zeus's or Shazam's.
    I never sais his power over it was greater. His power over it on on par with theirs. One negates the other.

And just because someone disagrees with you does'nt make them retarded. Stop being a dick.

Marathon on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fine, then the fight will go down like Marvel vs. Supes. Except, when Marv tries to Shazam Thor, it will either do nothing, or recharge Thor. Either way, Marv gets smacked in the mouth with Mjolnir.

Fencingsax on
  • Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think what Spectre may be trying to say is this.

Zeus=Odin. Basically the two are the same, father and king of the gods.

Thor<Odin. Thor is his son, less powerful, from what I understand, though still a god.

So Thor cannot be equal in terms of power to Zeus. If Zeus sends down lightning, Thor (even though he may have the power to control lightning) can't bend it to HIS whim because it's Zeus' fucking lightning. Zeus decides what he wants to do with it. In terms of magic, Thor does not have as much power as Zeus.

See? Easy.

Kshah777 on
    "He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
    ~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

I never sais his power over it was greater. His power over it on on par with theirs. One negates the other.

And just because someone disagrees with you does'nt make them retarded. Stop being a dick.

If someone starts commenting on shit I did not in any way say, and if they claim that I did say these things, even though the post is right fucking there for all to see, and even though just the slightest glance at it would show them that they're responding to shit I did not say or even imply, THAT makes them retarded. Them disagreeing or agreeing with me has absolutely zero to do with it. It is the fact that they fail basic reading comprehension that makes them retarded.

And thank you, Kshah, that is that I'm saying.

And Shazam is just as powerful as Odin or Zeus, so that goes for him, too.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

If someone starts commenting on shit I did not in any way say, and if they claim that I did say these things, even though the post is right fucking there for all to see, and even though just the slightest glance at it would show them that they're responding to shit I did not say or even imply, THAT makes them retarded. Them disagreeing or agreeing with me has absolutely zero to do with it. It is the fact that they fail basic reading comprehension that makes them retarded.

No one here has put any words in your mouth. All that has been done is are presenting one point and it is being disagreed with. You as usual are blowing it way out of proportion and being a rag about it.

These fights are a matter of opinion, you think that Marvel can win, I think that Thor's uniuqe situation of being the god of thunder happens to trump that. I understand what you and Kshah were saying..I just happen to disagree. One gods power over lightning is absolute another god of lightning has the same amount of power. Zeus is more powerful than Thor when you take everything into account. But on the level of being a god of lightning, the power they have is equal.

Marathon on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    In 1955, a thug knocks Shazam across the head with a crowbar and causes him to lose his memory.

A clueless Shazam wanders around Fawcett for the next 40 years until C.C. Batson, a young man Shazam had met on the Malcolm Expedition, recognizes the old man and brings him to the museum to restore his memory. Shazam feels that he has truly found his successor in the upstanding Batson, but before he can act on this, a possessed Theo Adam murders Batson and his wife Marilyn. He therefore decides to enlist C.C. Batson's young son, Billy, as the successor to his power.

I don't think a crowbar to the head would give Odin, Zeus, or even Thor amnesia.

robosagogo on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

No one here has put any words in your mouth. All that has been done is are presenting one point and it is being disagreed with. You as usual are blowing it way out of proportion and being a rag about it.

These fights are a matter of opinion, you think that Marvel can win, I think that Thor's uniuqe situation of being the god of thunder happens to trump that. I understand what you and Kshah were saying..I just happen to disagree. One gods power over lightning is absolute another god of lightning has the same amount of power. Zeus is more powerful than Thor when you take everything into account. But on the level of being a god of lightning, the power they have is equal.

Like I said, even if they are fairly well matched, when Marv tried to Shazam Thor, he gets a hammer to the face.

Fencingsax on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Like I said, even if they are fairly well matched, when Marv tried to Shazam Thor, he gets a hammer to the face.

That's what it comes down to. I am of the opinion that Thor could prevent the lightning from reaching Marvel. I am also of the opinion that Thor is stronger that Marvel anyway. But none of that matters. In the end, Marvels gonna get smashed in the face with Mjolnir.

Royse on
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ wrong!
    Scooter wrote:

How can he lose?

See?

And I also didn't say that Captain Marvel would beat Thor.

Also: t robo

Yes

that has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Shazam fought the Spectre and almost won. The Spectre is a being with a level of power so great he can destroy entire worlds in the blink of an eye. Almost nothing can stand against his fury, only the absolutely most powerful gods and mystics even have the slightest chance of slowing him down.

Thor's control over lightning and weather is not absolute. More powerful beings than him have greater control over it. Zeus is more powerful, he has greater control over it because he has far more power backing up his control. Same goes for Shazam and his magical lightning. And Captain Marvel now also has absolute control over his own personal magical lightning.

And Thor cannot summon Captain Marvel's lightning. Shazam decides if Thor gets to summon HIS lightning or not. Chances are, Shazam isn't going to let him do that.

Spectre-x on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    But guys Mjolnir is magic so it can't hurt Marvel.

deadonthestreet on
    edited November 2006
    Royse wrote:
    That's what it comes down to. I am of the opinion that Thor could prevent the lightning from reaching Marvel. I am also of the opinion that Thor is stronger that Marvel anyway. But none of that matters. In the end, Marvels gonna get smashed in the face with Mjolnir.

Sorry, that's completely wrong. Not even an opinion. It's common knowledge that Superman and Captain Marvel are equal in strength. Apparently Marvel is faster than Supes.

It has been agreed by DC and Marvel Comics that Superman is just as strong as Thor.

It's not hard to figure out where I'm going with this.

AND CAPTAIN MARVEL WOULDN'T TRY TO SHAZAM THE GOD OF THUNDER

HE HAS THE WISDOM OF SOLOMON

And it would just be lightning to Thor, damage-wise, because Thor isn't vulnerable to magic like Superman is.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    But guys Mjolnir is magic so it can't hurt Marvel.

It's indestructible and wielded by someone exactly as strong as Marvel, of course it can hurt him.

You don't know how Mjolnir's magic works.

Spectre-x on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Could Thor really beat J'onn?

DouglasDanger on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    It's not looking good for J'onn. Under a half hour to go, and he's down by 8 to Hulk.

DJ Eebs on
    edited November 2006
    J'onn's more powerful than Superman.

It's possible, but I would go with J'onn because he's easily twice as versatile.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    that has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Shazam fought the Spectre and almost won. The Spectre is a being with a level of power so great he can destroy entire worlds in the blink of an eye. Almost nothing can stand against his fury, only the absolutely most powerful gods and mystics even have the slightest chance of slowing him down.

And then Marvel got knocked out by a crowbar and lost his memory. Gotta take the bad with the good here.

Spectre-x wrote:
    Thor's control over lightning and weather is not absolute. More powerful beings than him have greater control over it. Zeus is more powerful, he has greater control over it because he has far more power backing up his control. Same goes for Shazam and his magical lightning. And Captain Marvel now also has absolute control over his own personal magical lightning.

And Thor cannot summon Captain Marvel's lightning. Shazam decides if Thor gets to summon HIS lightning or not. Chances are, Shazam isn't going to let him do that.

Who decides that more powerful gods can take over his powers? you? In any of the greek mythology I have read one god's powers are his to command. Zeus does not command the sea even though he is more powerful that Poseidon. That is his realm and his power over it is total. The same goes for Thor and his power over lightning.

And there is no way in hell that Shazam gets to decide if Thor can use his own power over lightnig.

Marathon on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hmm...I would say that Thor can't directly control Marvel's lightning, due to it's specific magical nature. Though I would also say that being the Norse god of thunder Marvel's lightning probably wouldn't hurt Thor very much if at all, so in a fight between them the lightning is essentially irrelevent.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    thor is a god

captain marvel is 6 gods

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    thor is a god

captain marvel is parts of 6 gods

Marathon on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    yeah

but he's the good parts

he's also got a dick that's bigger than thor's hammer

Garlic Bread on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    yeah

but he's the good parts

Armageddon

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    yeah

but he's the good parts

His dad's!

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

And then Marvel got knocked out by a crowbar and lost his memory. Gotta take the bad with the good here.

Spectre-x wrote:

Who decides that more powerful gods can take over his powers? you? In any of the greek mythology I have read one god's powers are his to command. Zeus does not command the sea even though he is more powerful that Poseidon. That is his realm and his power over it is total. The same goes for Thor and his power over lightning.

And there is no way in hell that Shazam gets to decide if Thor can use his own power over lightnig.

Shazam got knocked out with a crowbar. That still doesn't diminish the fact that he managed to beat the SHIT out of the SPECTRE for a good while.

The SPECTRE.

Who EATS guys like Thor and Odin. LITERALLY. The only reason Shazam managed because he's fucking SHAZAM THE FUCKING WIZARD and he was in his PLACE OF POWER.

And we're not dealing with mythology here. We're dealing with comics. In comics big gods (Zeus, Odin, Shazam(sort of)) beat little gods (thor)

Thor is not able to control Shazam's lightning. Period.

Spectre-x on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    thor is a god

captain marvel is 6 gods

One of which is Achilles...so...Mjolnir to the heel?

(I don't think Achilles was a god.)

Royse on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    yeah

but he's the good parts

His dad's!

No, his own. Captain Marvel just looks exactly like Billy's dad, because Billy will probably grow up to look pretty much exactly like his dad.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    yeah

but he's the good parts

The tournament for cock size starts after this one, Wonder Woman in a surprise upset beats Chamber.

Marathon on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    It's not looking good for J'onn. Under a half hour to go, and he's down by 8 to Hulk.

which is fucking retarded.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited November 2006
    Royse wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    thor is a god

captain marvel is 6 gods

One of which is Achilles...so...Mjolnir to the heel?

(I don't think Achilles was a god.)

it's explained in Trials of Shazam that there are many beings that share the names of the power of SHAZAM, but the ones Captain Marvel gets his from are all gods

i didn't make any sense right there at all

Garlic Bread on
  • Son of BeyonderSon of Beyonder From Beyond BeyondRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MATCH C

THOR --------------- 124
    HULK --------------- 93
    MARTIAN MANHUNTER -- 91
    NAMOR -------------- 4

MATCH D

WONDER WOMAN ------- 124
    SHADE -------------- 121
    CAPTAIN AMERICA ---- 26
    ROGUE -------------- 22

THOR, HULK, WONDER WOMAN AND SHADE ADVANCE

Son of Beyonder on
    5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • Son of BeyonderSon of Beyonder From Beyond BeyondRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A NEW THREAD WILL BE MADE LATER TONIGHT AND WILL FEATURE ROUND TWO MATCHUPS

YOU HAVE 2 PAGES IN WHICH TO VENT YOUR FRUSTRATIONS

OR THE BATTLE THREADS

Son of Beyonder on
    5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
    edited November 2006
    FUCKING SHIT NO GOD DAMNIT

Spectre-x on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think the SPECTRE is FREAKING the FUCK OUT and needs to take A break.

You gotta remember, there are no hard facts in comics. Over the decades you've got thousands of writers and thousands of stories, they have contradicted in the past and they will contradict again in the future. You cannot state that "such and such is the way it will go. Period." with no debate, especially if the event has never actually happened in comics. And in this case, apparently the one time it has happened in comics, Thor did control Marvel's lightning, even if it was an out-of-canon story.

You can't just start calling posters retarded and state your opinion as fact. It is your opinion that Thor could not affect Marvel's lightning. It is my opinion that at least the possibilty does exist.

Scooter on
This discussion has been closed.