As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] The MOBA.

• TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    In other Dota news, we are putting the finishing touches on the Desert Map and the underlying technology, and we’re hoping to have it ready around the middle of December when our next update will be released.

http://blog.dota2.com/2015/11/the-frankfurt-major-champions/

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Damn! I was praying for some sort of tusk and windranger nerf in the near future. Not that I think either of them are crazy OP, I'm just sick of seeing them in every game.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    3-4 Weeks is kinda the near future. Especially in valve time.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Just went the old Alch build with attack speed into basher, didn't get ganked once all game in safe lane and then steamrolled through them 1v3 multiple times. He's so strong with the farm advantage.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    Been thinking that I'm gonna try to play some other roles besides support in the near future. Maybe not hard carry because I like being active early in the game. I was looking at a Tusk/Tide/slark style mid or hard lane. Too soon?

signature goes here
    It's never too soon! Don't be afraid to tackle the harder heroes or roles you aren't comfortable with. For what it's worth, I consider support to be the most challenging role.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Been thinking that I'm gonna try to play some other roles besides support in the near future. Maybe not hard carry because I like being active early in the game. I was looking at a Tusk/Tide/slark style mid or hard lane. Too soon?

Try initiators.

Axe is a monster early game, as is Clockwerk.

They're fun in a suicidal way, but can be frustrating if your team doesn't follow up.

edit: forgot Bristleback. He's great early game, snowballs hard, and has a lot of viable item builds depending on team comp.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    edited November 2015
    Tidehunter is another good pick, his ult isn't hard to understand and can be game changing... he also hates kunkka, and don't we all?

Sceptre on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    If you play tide, though, you will be blamed for every loss.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    If you play tide, though, you will be blamed for every loss.

And all your ults will be wrong.

camo_sig.png
    Seems like strong early game characters can dominate in the low skill bracket. If you can win a 1 on 1 early chances are you'll get the opportunity to do so then rampage from there. Very seldom will a team band together to stop an early snowball champ.

signature goes here
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    That is quite true. Even at 3.6K it happens. Played 3 games today where Alch was in the game, in all 3 there was no effort at all to slow down their farm. At the end they just tore through the whole team.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    What kills me about it is that if I take advantage of that fact, I can rip through most opponents. Which is cool, but I don't really learn the game that way. But if I get good at positioning, backing up a teammate and timing my stuns to hit after theirs, then we should win as well but I'm improving my play.

signature goes here
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Sceptre wrote: »
    If I play late enough at night it will put occasionally throw me into games with 5k players, and all of a sudden it feels like I've never played the game before because they are just SO much better.

It's shocking the first time you have this happen. If you're a support you have no idea where to go or what to do to make an impact. If you're a 1 or 2 you're getting so viciously out-csed and denied that it's violating. You find yourself unable to do very basic things. Not even complex stuff like farming patterns or good smokes or flashy plays. Just really basic stuff becomes impossible to eke out, and you know its going to be a disaster.

So one thing is incompetent people have no idea they're incompetent and overestimate their skill (dunning-kruger effect).

The other thing is that when you are constantly comparing pros to other pros, you lose a sense for how insanely good they are compared to mere mortals. It's like when an NBA player is at a press conference surrounded by normal people instead of other giants and your brain catches on: "oh yeah this guy is half a foot to a foot taller than every non-athlete in the room, holy fuck."

And this is all aside from the differences between a competitive team game and pubs. I mean just in terms of pure individual skill.

this 1k mmr vs 5kmmr match says it all: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3r4509/congrats_to_the_winner_of_the_5k_vs_1k_match/
    Until you've seen it yourself it's very easy to not get it.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You know, I haven't seen techies played in ages.

He used to be in every second or third game a couple of months ago.

Move to New Zealand
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

he got nerfed.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Foomy wrote: »

he got nerfed.

Hard.

• BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    Good.

Steam ID : BigKev87
    So stoked. Just had the first game with players using mics. We went from down 8-0 and our drow left to a 4 on 5 comeback for the win. I got to play shadow shaman and really love his hex into lockdown combo. Sets up so many easy kills

signature goes here
    Omniknight is such a game-changing hero.

I don't know why he's not in every game.

Other than he's boring to play compared to other supports.

Move to New Zealand
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

And he has a really bad lane phase while being dependent on items for efficient use of his spells. Though considering the current crop of tier 1 offlaners, I'm not sure why he doesn't see any play there. Lack of stun I suppose.

Dark_Side on
    Dark_Side wrote: »

And he has a really bad lane phase while being dependent on items for efficient use of his spells. Though considering the current crop of tier 1 offlaners, I'm not sure why he doesn't see any play there. Lack of stun I suppose.

no lock down and not really much of an escape other than dispelling yourself and running away slowly

camo_sig.png
    At least at my level, his laning stage is decent. Not much harrass, or chase, but if they try to dive your carry they're in for a world of hurt.

But my lane partner was a Tusk, so he took care of the chase/lock down part and I just heal bombed-> repelled him after a snowball.

I've started being more agressive with him lately, and his aura is actually really good. Go hug their carry.

Move to New Zealand
    edited November 2015
    Omniknight is one of those supports who depends a lot on the enemy draft. Like most melee supports, he can't zone out the enemies in your lane, so if you don't have some sick setup to get on top of them you are pretty useless. Hard to justify running melee supports in most duo-lanes, nevermind one without a stun. What hope in hell does Omniknight have against a Windranger?

On the other hand, if the enemy offlane is something like Spirit Breaker/Tusk + Undying, omniknight is a pretty good choice.

Sceptre on
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The change to Diffusal Blade makes Omniknight super mediocre imo.

We played this game like an hour ago and 0 cooldown Diffusal turns the game into a 4v5.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Also, I'm so glad that there's a major patch soon. 5man ganksquad Dota with global presence carries is the antithesis of my favorite 'hit buildings all day' heroes.

My new lunchtime ritual. Figure out what character I want to play that night, watch a Purge video on that character at lunch, try to emulate that in the evening across 2-4 games. Been on a pretty solid win streak. Currently hovering at about 65% in the last 15 games.

signature goes here
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

*cough*
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Omni needs more farm then a typical support and has no stuns. I just grab huskar and zone him out. He does not have the mana to sustain himself early vs a lot of harass.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    TheGerbil wrote: »

*cough*
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
    Reverse Valve Time

Note that these outliers may be the results of an undiscovered 'Greenlight Savings Time'.

That is fucking fantastic. :D

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Trying out a new hero and realizing "Damn! This guy is fun too?!" is one of the best parts of this game. I go on long bouts where I spam only a few heroes, but when I random there are at most four heroes in the whole game who I dislike playing.

Now that I go through the list it's pretty much just Bloodseeker and Dragon Knight.

edited November 2015
    I don't think there are any that I dislike playing, per say. There's a bunch that I know I'm bad with, so I never pick them unless SD forces me to.

TA, all micro heroes, spirit heroes, a few others that I can't think of right now.

VishNub on
    edited November 2015
    Most of my hatred for those heroes is tied directly to my winrate. Seriously, how the hell do I have a 15% win rate with Bloodseeker? It's like the character knows I hate him. I don't usually pick them, but when I random micro heroes, the starcraft player in me smirks a little and prepares to rock the fuck out.

Sceptre on
    For me it's Lich and Crystal Maiden. Lich is just flat out boring while being highly dependent on teammates. And CM because she's just so god. damn. slow.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    turns out the wolves of icerack aren't that swift

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Most of my hatred for those heroes is tied directly to my winrate. Seriously, how the hell do I have a 15% win rate with Bloodseeker? It's like the character knows I hate him. I don't usually pick them, but when I random micro heroes, the starcraft player in me smirks a little and prepares to rock the fuck out.

My Doom/Slark/WR are all below 45% which is frankly embarrassing.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    My axe rate is around 35%. And I actually really like playing him.

My win rate for alch was around 20% till the last patch. Now he is nearly an auto win.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    I think I am like 1 and 6 or something with doom.

camo_sig.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

I'm something like one in fucking sixteen or so on Anti-Mage, and most of that was spamming the hero to get just one win. Needless to say I got the win when the dota stars aligned on me and I'm never touching this magic hating scum ever again.

Otherwise I was mostly chill with heroes .

edited November 2015
    Dac Vin wrote: »

I'm something like one in fucking sixteen or so on Anti-Mage, and most of that was spamming the hero to get just one win. Needless to say I got the win when the dota stars aligned on me and I'm never touching this magic hating scum ever again.

Otherwise I was mostly chill with heroes .

I always sucked with him too until I played a game where my one of my teammates was roasting me over the coals for my farming efficiency. But he actually pointed out some specific things (really obvious stuff like the fact I wasn't blinking between jungle camps.) and then it suddenly clicked for me that if you're going to play the mage game, you don't just farm...you FARM. He was a jerk about the whole thing, and it really pissed me off, but when you're right you're right, so I adjusted my play style and had a lot more success after.

Dark_Side on