As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2016 Challenge Coin Thread] See you all next year!

SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited July 2016 in PAX East
The second print run should have all been delivered by now.

Totals were: 162 Regular Coins and 152 Colour coins.

The second print run is shipping out.

No more orders are being taken for the second print run.
I will provide information on the ETA of the second print runs expected delivery window when I get the information.

Coin Pictures!

4do0mp01nj3a.jpg
r5mds9ir5oxx.jpg
9j2km1xit7zi.jpg
What was sent to the factory:

8iotm0wvvz5f.jpg
Coin comes in Colored and Uncolored versions.

Welcome to the 2016 PAX East Challenge Coin Thread. Stay a while and listen.
6kj6ctwnh97x.jpg

What's this then?
It's the Pax East 2016 Challenge Coin Thread!
Here's a bit of history about the PAX Challenge Coins

When can I order some?
Now!

Interested in one or more coins? Express interest below, you are under no obligation to actually get the number of coins you express interest in, it's just to get an idea of the run size later on.. plus a handy list for me to @ you when they go on sale!
2016 Challenge Coin Interest Sheet

Votes/Choices:
Landmark Side:
Fenway Park:
jhnwccyzmrw5.png

Theme Side:
Here are the options being voted on.
Claw Machine 1:
4j83zim4lanq.png

Claw Machine 2:
laf8z7tcn5ic.png

Claw Machine 3:
7uxwe0c40rms.png

Claw Machine 4:
z3sjxlrc3jpv.png

Claw Machine 5:
75k5v7xfohpf.png

VR Dude:
imcpbwnveurb.png
Results: It was never even close.
4eo7iayy6kjl.jpg
[/spoiler]

Coin details.

1.75", as per tradition
Silver, as per tradition.
Smooth Edges, as per tradition.
Theme: Working on it.

More Information!
Last Years Thread!
Pax Prime's 2015 Thread
South's 2016 thread!

SutibunRi on

• OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    I'm really excited to see this thread come up. I got in on the Prime orders in 2012 and 2014 and managed to grab the last East 2013 coin way after the fact from Phoenix Challenge Coins. The quality of these coins never fails to impress me. I'm definitely in for two of these, and possibly more if my other friends end up wanting one.

I have some ideas for a potential design so I'll post it sometime this weekend.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Very excited for coins! Definitely up for at least two as well, and here to throw in my opinion and money for the process. :)

UyhWici.png
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Put me down for interest in 2 coins.
    EDIT: Nevermind, the sheet is editable. For whatever reason I couldn't type in it before. So I added myself.

JimmyWild on
  • KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Excited for coins as well!

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    up for this ... definitely think a Fallout 4 tie in would be excellent given the setting for this most epic game

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I'd second having something Fallout related on the coin, Abby!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    While fallout would be fun, it might draw the ire of Bethesda if anything too iconic was used. Just a thought.

Certainly if it was done it may need to be subtle, I wouldn't suggest the fallout boy etc. :-)

edited November 2015
    Yah would need to be fanart based nothing copyrighted .... generic wanderers being chased by mirelurks something like that ... lol

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Having trouble editting the OP on my phone, but after some sleep, it looks like we completed our cycle of themes, if we restart the cycle, we're actually looking at Tabletop Games, also, Prime just did 2 Arcade themed coins in a row, breaking their cycle.

So, we're open to all themes?

Tabletop would probably make it easy to toss some bottlecaps in with the dice and meeple or what have you.

I think I'm open to all ideas! Submit your ideas! Then we'll have voting, we love voting, it means more spreadsheets!

South seems to be working on a tabletop one right now, but what they end up with remains to be seen.

Tabletop would be great, my group still plays, have a D&D session tomorrow :-) Dice would be a good fit if we go with Tabletop.
    We have two sides to fill, one is normally the Boston side and one the PAX side correct? And ducks and BCEC are out as they were the last two if memory serves.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I think we talked doing something to do with fenway park for this year for the boston side

• SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    Definitely up for at least one this year.

rascrush wrote: »
    I think we talked doing something to do with fenway park for this year for the boston side

That would work .... Diamond City baby ...

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hope to be up for one, but assuming that international shipping is nasty as it's been in some past years it'll be a tough call.

Not that anyone here has control over that, simply noting that it's a bit of a sticking point, especially with the exchange rate.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    How about something like hungry hungry hippos, rock em sock em robots, the "GO <-" square from monopoly with one of the pieces on it. i'll probably throw out some more ideas after a couple more google searches

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
    I keenly feel the sting of shipping costs and the exchange rate, both unfortunately are beyond my control.
    A couple people are suggesting fenway park. So, find me a good picture of it folks!
    Also, any other interesting Boston statues, buildings or landmarks, we need choices for voting!

We're doing audience participation this year! Yay!

OP Updated.
    And Look! A Vote! Already!
    Have at it!

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Oh, boy, I've been waiting for this!!!! I'll definitely be down for atleast three.

As for ideas, I really do like the idea of Fenway representing the Boston side. As for the other, i'd really want to try to do something unique and not repeat a previous year just yet. My ideas are as follows:
    1) Pinball (it's seems to be making a big resurgence the last few years)
    2) VR (Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Oculus, Google Cardboard, even the new ViewMaster are making waves and giving a new kind of gaming experience)
    3) Some kind of homage to video game art. You could go classic like the original Atari 2600 manuals or something a little more modern.
    4) Something commemorating the evolution of the game distribution (from the chips of the original Odyssey to the digital distribution of today)
    5) Something commemorating the evolution of video game music (chip tunes to orchestras)
    6) Dungeons & Dragons and/or other classic role play games
    7) Card games (Pokemon, CAH, Fluxx, Exploding Kittens, etc.)

Forgive me if any of this has been done before. I didn't get the first few coins.
    Probably could brainstorm a few more things, but We Bare Bears is on CN and i'm distracted, hehe.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    people have suggested fallout and i also like the idea of commemorating fallout 4's boston location -- i haven't played the game, but surely there is a boston landmark that is also central to the game. fenway is a cool option too.

for the reverse, i'd love to see us do something new rather than repeat previous themes, so i suggested mobile gaming or roleplaying games. however, with the oculus rift likely coming out shortly before pax, i think 2016 is going to be the year of VR -- either as a launch of a whole new era, or as a memorable fizzle. so i'd love to see something about VR.

ilta on
  • nosutnosut MA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    My idea and just a thought. Normally the coin is two sides one more gaming related and one for the city it is in. Well Boston is currently in a more unique situation where it is also related to a game fallout 4 as others have noted.

That being the case why not continue the traditional rotation for tabletop on the gaming side and on the Boston side pick a Boston location but have it done in a fallout post war situation. Broken/crumbling type image. That avoids any issues with Bethesda as well.

Also is that the same forum I spend all that time editing last year with the automatic counts?

nosut on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    There hasn't been anything handheld related for years on any of the coins, so I vote for that.

nosut wrote: »
    Also is that the same forum I spend all that time editing last year with the automatic counts?

It is!
    I copied the form and wiped the data from the copy, no sense letting all that work go to waste, right?

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    1. Thanks for starting the ball rolling.
    2. I'm not particularly keen on the Dice at all if we got for tabletop since we had dice on the 2011 coin.
    3. Digging the Boston/Fallout tie in though I don't have it yet to be able to say what we could work with.

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I think Fenway would be a good discrete tie-in with Fallout 4 as well as a good choice for the Boston side.

As for the themed side, I'm more into tabletop games, be it card, board, or dice related. Though we have had dice already.

UyhWici.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    COIN TIME!!! This has become one of my favorite parts of the lead-in to East every year.'

I think Fenway might be a good idea for the landmark side, as we've done just about everything but the Bunker Hill monument and Fanuiel Hall/Old State House for big, recognizable Boston locations.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    I'm totally down for the Fallout 4 idea. I'm sure if we talked to Bethesda they might consider letting us rip something from the game. Might have to give them some coins but I'd be willing to pitch in to make it happen!

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So I get the fallout 4 thing. Especially given the whole Boston thing, but I think the Fenway for the local landmark tie in would be the best for that. It's an excellent local tie in and is diamond city. Heck I'm sure there are small differences between the in game Fenway and the real Fenway and I'm sure we could bake a few of those differences into the Fenway we put onto the back of the coin. That presents little to no licensing issues, and we can open up the other side of the coin to a game that's a little less specific and time sensitive. Let's face it as good as fallout 4 may be, and as much hype as it may have, by the time PAX east rolls around there will be some new hotness in the video game world that has everyone jabbering on. PAX east is 5 months away and there will be new modern games by that time and fallout 4 will have become a somewhat overly specific and somewhat out of date reference. The game side of the coin has always tried to be a bit universal, some dice for general tabletopping, a space invaders arcade box as a stand in for arcade gaming in general, we've done the controllers for console gaming in general. I'd personally be in favor of pinball for the gaming side of the coin. Mainly because pinball has been receiving a resurgence in recent times. More than that it is a very popular type of game that really lead into the arcades of the 80s and I don't know if we've done pinball before. I also just really like pinball and likely won't ever get to play fallout 4 so a coin dedicated to a game I'll never play doesn't sound like the best community identifier.

Oh, Fallout 4 was never getting the whole coin, it's set a flame in our hearts though.

SutibunRi wrote: »
    Oh, Fallout 4 was never getting the whole coin, it's set a flame in our hearts though.

Understandably so. Heck it's the first game to actually move me towards wanting a next gen console or to update my rig (I switched from video games to table top big time in the past like 4 or 5 years though things like diablo 3 will bring me out). Like I said it's definitely a perfect reason to go with Fenway as the Boston locale/reference on the back of the coin. I just saw a ball rolling there, and felt like getting in front of it.

edited November 2015
    Also I really like pinball, and in my current gaming circles it is coming back super strong, and it is of a fairly historic note in reference to the rise of general nerd culture to the dominant subculture of our times. They really were setting the groundwork for the first arcade video games, and they were doing it in penny arcades. I just think pinball as a motif for the gaming side of the coin is a strong idea.

Sleep on
  • OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    While pinball is cool the Prime 2014 coin had a pinball aesthetic on one side, so I wouldn't be surprised if people want to do something different than that.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
    While pinball is cool the Prime 2014 coin had a pinball aesthetic on one side, so I wouldn't be surprised if people want to do something different than that.

Ah, I was unaware of how recently pinball had been done.

How about card games? Not just table top, but card games in particular, heck we could go super old school and make it something like a winning bridge hand or something like that.

Barring that something like the old grey brick game boy, or a like tiger electronics style game to go with the handheld motif could be cool too.

Maybe even a tribute to the systems that died early deaths, like the Sega Saturn could be cool.

edited November 2015
    We're getting ideas from every theme.. so many themes!
    A playing card, an NES cartridge (it's an iconic shape), a Virtual Boy, WASD keys, and the claw from a crane game. Reaching for them.

Edit: replace Virtual Boy with Pip Boy? Free up other landmarks for other side of coin?

SutibunRi on
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    We're getting ideas from every theme.. so many themes!
    A playing card, an NES cartridge (it's an iconic shape), a Virtual Boy, WASD keys, and the claw from a crane game. Reaching for them.

Edit: replace Virtual Boy with Pip Boy? Free up other landmarks for other side of coin?

Freaking crane games! Don't forget to throw a d20 into the prize pile!

As it stands now in the voting, if we even care about that anymore, Tabletop and Console are tied, followed by PC, New theme, Arcade, and in last place, Portable.
    Also, many people ranked two items equally rather than ranking the options against each other, I wasn't super clear, but it probably doesn't change much.

How PC is so popular, the year after we made a PC coin is beyond me!

I need to actually get to Diamond City, then I can feel the love for Fenway Park everyone seems to have. I keep getting distracted by.. everything. I like what they did with Bunker Hill, so my hopes are high.

Also, I plan to contact Kiddercorp to handle this years coins for a variety of reasons,
    • I've heard good things from the Prime folk.
    • The cost per coin was cheaper than Phoenix.
    • @akidderz is a PAX East attendee, and passionate about both challenge coins and gaming.
    • I've seen the quality of the coins they produce.
    • They don't charge a Die Fee, the gathering of donations to cover that was the worst part of doing the coin last year.

At this point, I would like to invite @akidderz to join us here in the conversation if he wishes to, that he might offer us his expertise, as well as his design ideas as a fellow member of the PAX community, To avoid potential moderation issues, I just ask that he not suggest higher cost options for the coins, responding to questions about such things should be okay, if not, I'm sure @zerzhul will let us know.

Like I love the idea of a crame game filled with everything. That's what PAX kind of is. You go, you know you are going to blow a ton of cash. You might have an aim when you go in there, but then you just keep coming away with nothing you actually aimed at, but everything you are getting is still pretty awesome. Some times you hit your aims, and you get that piece of swag you're aiming for, or you try that game you were looking to try out of you make it into that panel, or that concert, you really wanted to see. Though most of the time you're also sure to come up with a ton of extra prizes, maybe it's a new tabletop game you've never thought to try before, maybe the game you were aiming to try had its queue filled 5 seconds after the first doors opened, but you slip right next to it and get to try out some new technology in gaming, or this inde game. It's like one of those crane games that's play till you win you might miss your aim, but you'll come away with something, luckily this crane game is filled with mostly awesome (a lot of people come away with a fair number of germs).

edited November 2015
    I'm just going to do a thing where I @ everybody who expressed interest in the coin in last years interest document that isn't already here, in the hopes that they are interested this year, especially with community involvement being possible this time.

edit: list removed! it's work complete!

SutibunRi on
    Yeah it's fine