As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

quick question : max thread length

Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
Hi sorry if I missed this in some obvious spot but I checked the G&T Rules thread and Ref Desk but didnt find my answer.

For on topic game threads whats the max thread length? Is it 99pages or 50? I cant seem to remember. Thanks

Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
Elessar Elfstone on

• LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Typically, around 50 pages.

Linksville on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    No thread is allowed above 100 pages, because it fucks up the pruning algorithm.

But we tend to lock them a bit earlier.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    No thread is allowed above 100 pages, because it fucks up the pruning algorithm.
    Wait... I thought that 100+ pages were okay now?

Kaputa on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kaputa wrote:

There have been a handful of ginourmous (200+ page) threads, but really not many. The last I remember was the Final G+T Chat Thread, although I hear rumors of one in the mod-only board that's larger.

These have all been manually locked, though.

Daedalus on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Kaputa wrote:

There have been a handful of ginourmous (200+ page) threads, but really not many. The last I remember was the Final G+T Chat Thread, although I hear rumors of one in the mod-only board that's larger.

We're constantly on the lookout for that one. Whippy has a special harpoon for it, and everything.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait, I dont get why we have to kill threads at 100 pages? or even 50 pages?

Just to make it cleaner and force OP updates?

Lucky Cynic on
    edited November 2006
    because it messes with the forum backend if we let them get bigger than 100 pages or 200 pages, i don't know which.

it's usually 50 pages for ease of use for people coming into the thread. do you want to read 200 pages to catch up? i don't, and nor does anyone else.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ok my Neverwinter Nights 2 thread is up to 42 pages and wont take long to get to 50. Should I PM a mod around 50 to lock it and start a new one then?

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I really don't like your name.

Javen on
    edited November 2006
    Javen wrote:

I dont either. Well just the surname part, but some other account is named Elessar but hasnt posted in years :?

Elessar Elfstone on

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Man, what's your problem? You sound like you're wanted for execution in twelve systems or something.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What? He said himself that he doesn't like it either. Get off my back.

Javen on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    Javen wrote:

This isn't the "I don't like your name" forum though, so shut up.

Tube on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Javen wrote:
    I should've included a smiley to draw more attention to the Star Wars paraphrase. My bad.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited November 2006
    Ignoring the slightly jerkish comment about my name, anyone know the answer to my question posted above about the NWN thread?

Elessar Elfstone on

• Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yeah javen you big jerk

Carl with a K on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ok my Neverwinter Nights 2 thread is up to 42 pages and wont take long to get to 50. Should I PM a mod around 50 to lock it and start a new one then?

G&T threads usually seem to go up to 100 pages if nothing happens to get them locked. I wouldn't worry about it now.

jothki on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Theoretical database problems aside, it's a good idea because no one wants to slog through 200 pages

Limiting thread length keeps everything current, tidy, and readable.

Knob on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I like 50.. its a nice round number.. and its half the size of 100... so its twice as easy to browse.

That's a pretty infantile analysis.. but I like 50 page caps.

Jasconius on
    edited November 2006
    Ignoring the slightly jerkish comment about my name, anyone know the answer to my question posted above about the NWN thread?
    pm a mod around page 70.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I also thought there was a problem with splitting threads once they got beyond a certain length, or is that no longer an issue?

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
    edited November 2006
    pm a mod around page 70.

Thanks Orik, will do.

Elessar Elfstone on

• Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's the way I've always handled it, even on forums that didn't have a 100 page limit we'd kill them and re-start after they went a little over that.

What I do is skim through the last three pages of a thread in the seventies or up. If it's mostly chat and no real discussion then the crystal is flashing, time to renew.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish