As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kind of a blah [Steam] sa.. OH GOD WOLFENSTEIN: TNO FOR $9!!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    What is blackguards and why did I putit on my wishlist?

It's a turn-based RPG based on the Dark Eye ruleset & world (German PnP RPG, also used in the Drakensang games and a few others). Tends to be hard as hell but great fun and super rewarding when you beat tough odds. Voice acting is top notch (campy, yes, but fun - the voice actors clearly were enjoying their roles). The world is neat, the story keeps you going, and it's a very gray world - no clear cut good guys and bad guys for the most part... not even the "heroes."

I give it a strong endorsement. It'll make your brain work, but you'll have fun doing it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    For some reason, it keeps popping into my email with these little 12% and 18% discounts.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I was just thinking someone needs to make an annotated wishlist so I can link to the forum posts that made me interested in a game. Wonder if Istheranydeal has that feature

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I was just thinking someone needs to make an annotated wishlist so I can link to the forum posts that made me interested in a game. Wonder if Istheranydeal has that feature

Someone should start a google doc with links to Drakehype posts and similar sorts of wishlist-inducing reviews...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Someone should start a google doc with links to Drakehype posts and similar sorts of wishlist-inducing reviews...

I think it's only fair @Drake does.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    How's that curating going, Drake?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    There's definitely a few things I should add to it and a bunch of stuff I want to play more before I make up my mind.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Who is the one who makes those script monkey scripts? Or is that greese monkey? Anyway, could you make a crawler to grab all the drakes posts, check thread in? Dump into some document? I can't do these things, just curious.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Who is the one who makes those script monkey scripts? Or is that greese monkey? Anyway, could you make a crawler to grab all the drakes posts, check thread in? Dump into some document? I can't do these things, just curious.

We need a Steam thread intern.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

Once upon a time, we did have The Slash Signal. Unfortunately, his wiki of collected recommendations appears to have expired. There would be no trace, but for the Internet Archive.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A centralized collection of Steam Thread reviews in wiki form would be pretty cool, actually. You'd be able to get reviews from a variety of people without having to be friends with them on Steam or try to search out post histories.

• Options
    A centralized collection of Steam Thread reviews in wiki form would be pretty cool, actually. You'd be able to get reviews from a variety of people without having to be friends with them on Steam or try to search out post histories.

A brave volunteer steps forward!

Keep us posted with your progress!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I'm sure @Pixelated Pixie owns most of them but there's a vast amount of VNs in this monday bundle. https://indiegala.com/monday

"Hey, I've never heard of this Divine Slice of Life thing, but I have very low standards for VNs as long as there are cute girls, let's look at some reviews and see if it's worth the $1.89..."

"..."

"...well, I guess I have to start having standards some day, let's make it today."

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Searching around suggests running the game in administrator mode fixes this issue though. How do I do that?
    If you are on windows 7:
    First off find the executable. Right-click the game on the list in Steam, select Properties from the dropdown. Go to the Local Files tab. Click Browse Local Files. Now you have a directory open. In that directory is Borderlands.exe.

Right-click Borderlands.exe. Select Properties from the dropdown. Go to the Compatibility tab. Down at the bottom is a checkbox saying "Run this program as administrator." Check it off and hit okay and you are good to go.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »
    Searching around suggests running the game in administrator mode fixes this issue though. How do I do that?
    If you are on windows 7:
    First off find the executable. Right-click the game on the list in Steam, select Properties from the dropdown. Go to the Local Files tab. Click Browse Local Files. Now you have a directory open. In that directory is Borderlands.exe.

Right-click Borderlands.exe. Select Properties from the dropdown. Go to the Compatibility tab. Down at the bottom is a checkbox saying "Run this program as administrator." Check it off and hit okay and you are good to go.

On Windows 10, but the steps were the same. Thanks! There is also a "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" option I'll try that I can try if the administrator option doesn't fix it.

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Drake has made 13813 posts, but you could trim that down by looking at the thread title and only visiting a post in a thread that is named something with Steam. There is something AJAXy going on with loading more comments so you could at least avoid loading whole pages to list all the comments.
    I don't see a way to load a single post without getting the whole page it's on, so grabbing the full text of each post is still a little wasteful.

Then you could filter by only saving posts with a link to the Steam store on them, since those are more likely to be a review. You could also put in a minimum length.

Finally, you could stick in a Drake seal of approval on any Steam game that got a review, and that seal could link back to the original comment.

Or you could use the Drake Approved Steam curator. I guess.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

We need a Steam thread intern.

I could probably script something up after googling a little, if we wanted it. Can't we just follow Drake as a curator on Steam and check his reviews there, or does he keep his reviews just to PA Steam thread?

• Options
    The point was to have it for everyone's reviews, not just Drake's. Person A posts a review that causes people to wishlist a thing, save a link to that post under the heading of that game. Similarly, someone points out all the reasons you shouldn't waste your money on Nekopara a game, save that post too.

It would be a Herculean task to go back and retroactively put it together, but it would be trivial to do it going forward.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The point was to have it for everyone's reviews, not just Drake's. Person A posts a review that causes people to wishlist a thing, save a link to that post under the heading of that game. Similarly, someone points out all the reasons you shouldn't waste your money on Nekopara a game, save that post too.

It would be a Herculean task to go back and retroactively put it together, but it would be trivial to do it going forward.

This reminds me that I need to go back and review any of the games I have beaten but not reviewed . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    It also could be a place where we record what games we've finished, so even if we haven't written a decent review we know who to get in touch with if we want to ask someone reputable about it

steam_sig.png
  • Options

A brave volunteer steps forward!

Keep us posted with your progress!

Progress Report:

I made one. I'm currently giving myself a crash course on editing wikis and hope to have a sample page up soon. I think the easiest way to do it would be to have the page itself be about the game, and then have users leave reviews as comments (using their forum name and forum avatar for easy recognition) that are viewable beneath the game's info?

If anyone knows a thing or two about editing wikis please advise.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I can confirm that nothing new happens concerning the other white meat in Neo Scavenger
    ?.jpeg
    ?.jpeg

edit: Huh, $47.96? Sounds like daddy is going into the butcher business. Now to just time it so its cured right as I hit the market.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    @Jazz

So, though I know my computer has 2 video cards (the drawback of having a laptop with both integrated and dedicated cards), My computer seems to default to the integrated card when games sense what I have as resources. Now, the dedicated card is already set as my always default, but it might be why AC: Syndicate is "framing" pretty medium on high settings (though it could just be that my card is working and isn't up to snuff as well for high). I'll mess around a bit more, but so far it looks like the game might require more fussing to work on my computer, and thus probably yours as well.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Finished up Wolfenstein yesterday. It was very good all the way through, except for the last couple hours where I had to turn down the difficulty because I was getting tired of the "shoot all of your bullets into this guy to kill him, oh sorry he is not dead and you have no more ammo" enemies. The sneaking was way more fun than I would have thought it could be, and the story was more engaging than I was expecting. And of course you can't go wrong with double wielding shotguns with bouncing ammo, or dual wielding rocket firing assault rifles.

How does The Old Blood compare? Will probably grab that during the sale if it gets a good discount.

Anyways, onto the next one, Tales from the Borderlands, which the first hour has me thinking will be a great ride. My Xbox One controller is having issues with it though, where the button prompts are wrong for the triggers (left is right and vice versa). Searching around suggests running the game in administrator mode fixes this issue though. How do I do that?

I really liked the Old Blood! I got 7 hours on it compared to my 12 hour run on New Order so if it's on sale I highly recommend it.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Re: Random steam tools while people are talking about wikis and whatnot, this is the only guide I've ever favorited on Steam, and it's absolutely worth a look:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=451698754

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    That creepy Yohjo simulator game got pulled from Steam: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/11/22/yohjo-simulator-suddenly-removed-from-steam/178893/

Of course this has sent certain sections of the internet into a tizzy fit.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Hey guys, good news those of you waiting for Killing Floor 2, they're pushing out an update!

The bad news of course is that theres no new content, but they're adding a microtransactions store! You can buy keys for your crates! Your new skins have multiple wear levels so even if you get the one you want, you might get the shitty worn down version!

They haven't added all the classes, or more bosses or anything they've said they're working on, BUT YOU CAN TOTALLY SPEND MONEY ON IT! WOO

Fuck these cocksuckers. And to think I was so hyped for KF2.

(They're still in early access of course, wouldnt want to finish their game before they throw in the store)

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    This is the future you chose.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    That creepy Yohjo simulator game got pulled from Steam: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/11/22/yohjo-simulator-suddenly-removed-from-steam/178893/

Of course this has sent certain sections of the internet into a tizzy fit.

Their tears, i'm sure, will be delicious. Ah, sweet, foolish lamentation.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Finished up Wolfenstein yesterday. It was very good all the way through, except for the last couple hours where I had to turn down the difficulty because I was getting tired of the "shoot all of your bullets into this guy to kill him, oh sorry he is not dead and you have no more ammo" enemies. The sneaking was way more fun than I would have thought it could be, and the story was more engaging than I was expecting. And of course you can't go wrong with double wielding shotguns with bouncing ammo, or dual wielding rocket firing assault rifles.

How does The Old Blood compare? Will probably grab that during the sale if it gets a good discount.

Anyways, onto the next one, Tales from the Borderlands, which the first hour has me thinking will be a great ride. My Xbox One controller is having issues with it though, where the button prompts are wrong for the triggers (left is right and vice versa). Searching around suggests running the game in administrator mode fixes this issue though. How do I do that?

Old Blood is more condensed, but it doesn't hit the sames levels of insanity or strangely thoughtful introspection that New Order did.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Just be happy JC3 doesn't require Windows 10. Those specs are most likely inflated, as pointed out, but "DirectX 12 required" could have easily been on there!

I will laugh at and scorn every game that tries to tell me I need Windows 10 just to play it.

DirectX 12 will only be available on Windows 10...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Due to rampant fuckuppery on my part, I have an extra Borderlands 2 Game of the Year edition key to give away. Adventure Team members only. PM me if you want it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    f3rret wrote: »
    Just be happy JC3 doesn't require Windows 10. Those specs are most likely inflated, as pointed out, but "DirectX 12 required" could have easily been on there!

I will laugh at and scorn every game that tries to tell me I need Windows 10 just to play it.

Then I just won't play any game that only has DirectX 12. I will not upgrade to Windows 10 any time soon.

Madican on
  • Options

Then I just won't play any game that only has DirectX 12. I will not upgrade to Windows 10 any time soon.

Get off my lawn!

:razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but why?

I held out for a bit, because I wanted to let other people do the initial testing of it and sort out the privacy issues. Also, I wanted to be able to do a clean install instead of an upgrade. Now that Threshold 2 is out, and I was able to create install media for it, and I've looked into how to disable Cortana and turn the telemetry down to a minimum, I'm happy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but why?

I held out for a bit, because I wanted to let other people do the initial testing of it and sort out the privacy issues. Also, I wanted to be able to do a clean install instead of an upgrade. Now that Threshold 2 is out, and I was able to create install media for it, and I've looked into how to disable Cortana and turn the telemetry down to a minimum, I'm happy.

I installed it the weekend before last and it's pretty okay!

• Options
    Need a list of best low overhead games on steam for people always losing their gaming pc's and video cards.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Need a list of best low overhead games on steam for people always losing their gaming pc's and video cards.

Obligatory Undertale recommendation post #12.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

I think Dungeon of the Endless and Risk of Rain qualify too. I've played both on my work laptop which is a Core i5 with integrated graphics. Could probably do Nuclear Throne as well.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
This discussion has been closed.