As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/syfy-the-expanse-nov-23-thomas-jane-steven-strait-1201632393/

On Nov. 23, the first episode of the Thomas Jane-Steven Strait futuristic mystery drama will be available via Syfy On Demand, Syfy.com, the Syfy Now App, Hulu, Amazon, Google Play, Vudu, iTunes, Playstation, Xbox, Facebook and YouTube. Additionally, Twitch, Wikia, IGN, IMDb, Good Reads, Crave Online and Roku will host the series premiere with original custom content.

Syfy will then continue with its plan to give the Alcon series a two-night premiere on Dec. 14 and Dec. 15.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, watching that video with the producers linked last page upped my hype quite a bit. It really does look quite good in motion.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Blue collar space heroes flying around a single solar system, trying (and failing) to avoid getting embroiled in conspiracies involving sketchy corporations.

There are thematic similarities, but the feel is definitely different.

The crew of the ship also speak in back and forth quips. One of my biggest problems with the book was that I didn't like the weird flow of the dialogue until I came across the Firefly comparisons. Once I realized that I was supposed to be reading it like it was Whedon speak, it clicked.

The major difference in the novels is they have a larger scope, and the characters in the rest of the universe do not communicate like they are trying to out-snark each other. As a major example, the detective who is a big focus of the story narrates his sections like they were a hard-boiled noir.

Chrisjen Avasarala in particular has very little patience for plucky space hero witticisms.

She is one of my favorite characters ever.

I live for Bobbie/Abasarala scenes.

They are the best team.

Seconded.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Well, this is certainly a poster.
    m7k2kBm.jpg

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Man, I am so ready to be thoroughly disappointed in this show. I want it to defy my expectations.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    m7k2kBm.jpg

Directly from the books!

m7k2kBm.jpg

Directly from the books!

Really wondering about that.

5th Book
    That looks more like the show's Julie than the show's Naomi, more to the point the Naomi thing happens way way late in the book series so it's a weird first season trailer. I'm really not remembering any scenes with Julie that work for that and I'm like halfway through rereading the first book right now.

It may just be there to look awesome.

m7k2kBm.jpg

Directly from the books!

Really wondering about that.

5th Book
    That looks more like the show's Julie than the show's Naomi, more to the point the Naomi thing happens way way late in the book series so it's a weird first season trailer. I'm really not remembering any scenes with Julie that work for that and I'm like halfway through rereading the first book right now.

It may just be there to look awesome.

They may not think that the series will last 5 seasons and concoct a reason for it to happen in the first.

Or it will happen every season and every time she's like, "not again!"

Its out now if I'm not mistaken. Anyone seen it yet? I so hope its going to be good.

Think there was supposed to be an early release on the 27th in some region.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm making my way through the fifth book. The portrayal of humanity and how they'd likely behave in the face of what's happened to them is simultaneously refreshing and infuriating. And completely believable.

Think there was supposed to be an early release on the 27th in some region.

23rd even. I can see its out now at
    http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/videos/101-dulcinea

Only, not for my region :bigfrown:

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I watched it, it's much better than I expected. I generally do no like SyFy shows but this was pretty good. It moves really fast as it sets up the universe. I look forward to it hitting it's pace.

EDIT: I just looked up some reviews. I didn't realize it was only a 10 episode order. That makes the pacing make mroe sense. They gotta jam a lot into 10 episodes.

Cabezone on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Good first episode, very faithful to the book so far. (Minus Avasarala, of course)
    Looking forward to the second, and holy shit they need to advertise more.

ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME HUMANITY GOD DAMMIT

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So, reading nemesis games quid?

Yep.

Yep.

I am amused you are finding out just how right you were:
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm making my way through the fifth book. The portrayal of humanity and how they'd likely behave in the face of what's happened to them is simultaneously refreshing and infuriating. And completely believable.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    just watched this and am pleasantly surprised. definitely better than i was expecting. though i'll be sticking to my initial feeling of treating it like its own thing, inspired by the books rather than a straight adaptation.

more detailed impressions
    i can understand the horror vibe they were going for with the opening, but it would have been nice if we got to spend some time with Julie and gotten a sense of who she is. a slight niggle and ultimately it might play more into the mystery aspect for those that haven't read the book.

the intro to Ceres was great, visually at least. gave a really good sense of the size and workings of the station as well as the class divide that exists there. the speech being given seemed a bit heavy handed, but it was probably the best way to deal with such a large amount of exposition.

their explanation for not having all the Belters show the physical signs of being born in low-G is really well done. that was one of my biggest misgivings about the show and they handled it really well, even explaining why Miller looks like he could have been born on Earth. it felt natural and helped with world building. definitely one of the stronger points of the show and enough to inspire confidence in what's to come.

it seemed odd that they made it Havelock's first day, but i guess that was needed to allow the above explanation to be worked in.

less understandable is having Jonathan Banks as the XO of the Canterbury and having Holden promoted during the episode. i don't think that that served any purpose whatsoever.

Avasarala's intro seemed really rushed. even just lingering for a few seconds on her being stern before breaking into a tickle fight with her grandson would have helped a lot. i wouldn't be surprised if that was the original intention as the scene did fell like there was an awkward cut in the middle.

pacing has been mention and honestly, i think this could ultimately be the shows biggest weakness. being unable to give a scene time to breath. having to rush to the next shot/line/scene. hopefully this is something that improved over the course of the season but i wont get my hopes up.

a lot of the cast still seems a bit off to me, and it does seem that they've made a point of casting younger for some key characters. of course that could just be my reading of things and its certainly not a deal breaker. it does however make me wonder if they're going to address the passage of time. space if a big place and it takes an awfully long time to get anywhere. this isn't most shows where you can have a straight season=year passage of time. again, not a deal breaker, but something that will always been there in the back of my mind.

over all, i'm impressed and looking forward to seeing what they do going forward. hopefully this is a sign of what SyFy has planned for the future and we'll see a step up in at least some of their output going forward.

Wraith260 wrote: »
    just watched this and am pleasantly surprised. definitely better than i was expecting. though i'll be sticking to my initial feeling of treating it like its own thing, inspired by the books rather than a straight adaptation.

i can understand the horror vibe they were going for with the opening, but it would have been nice if we got to spend some time with Julie and gotten a sense of who she is. a slight niggle and ultimately it might play more into the mystery aspect for those that haven't read the book.

the intro to Ceres was great, visually at least. gave a really good sense of the size and workings of the station as well as the class divide that exists there. the speech being given seemed a bit heavy handed, but it was probably the best way to deal with such a large amount of exposition.

their explanation for not having all the Belters show the physical signs of being born in low-G is really well done. that was one of my biggest misgivings about the show and they handled it really well, even explaining why Miller looks like he could have been born on Earth. it felt natural and helped with world building. definitely one of the stronger points of the show and enough to inspire confidence in what's to come.

it seemed odd that they made it Havelock's first day, but i guess that was needed to allow the above explanation to be worked in.

less understandable is having Jonathan Banks as the XO of the Canterbury and having Holden promoted during the episode. i don't think that that served any purpose whatsoever.

Avasarala's intro seemed really rushed. even just lingering for a few seconds on her being stern before breaking into a tickle fight with her grandson would have helped a lot. i wouldn't be surprised if that was the original intention as the scene did fell like there was an awkward cut in the middle.

pacing has been mention and honestly, i think this could ultimately be the shows biggest weakness. being unable to give a scene time to breath. having to rush to the next shot/line/scene. hopefully this is something that improved over the course of the season but i wont get my hopes up.

a lot of the cast still seems a bit off to me, and it does seem that they've made a point of casting younger for some key characters. of course that could just be my reading of things and its certainly not a deal breaker. it does however make me wonder if they're going to address the passage of time. space if a big place and it takes an awfully long time to get anywhere. this isn't most shows where you can have a straight season=year passage of time. again, not a deal breaker, but something that will always been there in the back of my mind.

over all, i'm impressed and looking forward to seeing what they do going forward. hopefully this is a sign of what SyFy has planned for the future and we'll see a step up in at least some of their output going forward.

Holden
    They're trying to play up his reluctance to take more responsibility, so that when he takes command of the Rocinante (and, by extension, takes on the weight of trying to reveal the conspiracy), it will be a bigger deal.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm glad I noticed this today and not 5 years from now when I stumble on to it in whatever bizarre future streaming replaces Netflix. Going to watch it after I finish watching Firefly for the first time.

MKR on
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    never read the books, might have to check them out after the reactions from this thread.

dunno why but I do love me some future arsehole space mining corporations.

I blame the Nostromo.

first episode was ok, knowing nothing of the background. hat-wearing dude was a miss for me so far.

oh that does remind me of a good line from the episode.

Havelock: "So what's with the hat?"
    Miller: "Keeps the rain off my head"

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I will only say this: Miller will be fan-favourite of every viewer.

oh that does remind me of a good line from the episode.

Havelock: "So what's with the hat?"
    Miller: "Keeps the rain off my head"

Yeah, just realized that Miller has never once in his life been somewhere it actually rains.

Which is the joke.

Asthariel wrote: »
    I will only say this: Miller will be fan-favourite of every viewer.

Doors and corners.

just realised that i left one of the best things out of my earlier impressions.
    they actually used Belterese, and without subtitles. was really not expecting that so it was great to see it included. that was definitely one of the things i figured that they'd cut. got to admire their commitment on that one.

Holden
    They're trying to play up his reluctance to take more responsibility, so that when he takes command of the Rocinante (and, by extension, takes on the weight of trying to reveal the conspiracy), it will be a bigger deal.

Eh, that's a pretty big change from my read on the character.
    Holden wasn't on the Cant because he was afraid of responsibility or anything, he was there because he was dishonorably discharged from the UN Navy. We still don't know why exactly but he never showed the least problem with command at pretty much any point.

Vaguely annoyed they seem to be making everybody dirty as well.
    Not cleanliness wise but morality wise. I really do not see book Miller, or almost any POV Belter, letting a dude bribe his way out of air filter maintenance. This feels like it's part of them having the conflict between Mars, Earth and the Belt already simmering but I feel it undercuts some of why the Cant being attacked was such a huge deal for the Belt. Most of the Belt were just getting by not giving a shit about politics when they just need to focus on making a living but then somebody fucked with the air and they get pissed.

Similar scenario with Holden and the Captain and the distress call. We see book Holden is playing a role in that conversation but they still followed that basic rule of the Belt thing and both of them knew they were gonna do it. Here most of the crew just comes off as assholes. I do get that sort of staged conversation is tough to pull off in TV.

Only other notable impression was that Ceres looked was to fucking nice near Miller's hole. That may just be me making noir assumptions while reading the book though.

Oh, also the space stuff isn't really right but I honestly didn't expect it to be. At least it's stylish.

I love the Belter pidgin. All those years studying Spanish, French, and Chinese paying off all at once.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    So, does Syfy actually want me to watch their shows or something? Can I just watch this online without having a cable subscription, or are they only letting me watch the first episode?

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    cncaudata wrote: »
    So, does Syfy actually want me to watch their shows or something? Can I just watch this online without having a cable subscription, or are they only letting me watch the first episode?

They probably want you to pay to watch their shows. That's why they let you watch the first episode for free.

They might make a deal with Hulu/Netflix down the road for the season, once its out on DVD.

I don't know anything for sure, of course, but this is their normal business model.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the first ep is on hulu from a PC but not from a console app, apparently

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    This is apparently the first full episode. Not that I can tell because it's not available for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZeQD1Vf2s

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It's been on the official webpage for the show for a week.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I think I actually liked the pilot. Those actors are definitely not what my head cannon looked like, though, especially Miller. He will always look like Peter Falk to me.

peter_falk_princess_bride_zps5fucaxnl.jpg

Artereis on
  • majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Just watched the pilot. You know what? That was freakin awesome!

I hated, HATED, Jim Holden in the books. Loved Miller, Abasarala, Bobbie, Amos, etc. but hated Holden. HATED.

But in the TV show? Holden is pretty damn good! The TV version works for me! (At least for the pilot episode)

I am freakin' all in for this show!

:biggrin:

But I was disappointed that Alex's Mars-Texan accent wasn't thicker - and I'm still on the fence with Naomi.

majanz on
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Good first episode. There hasn't been a decent sci-fi show in a while, so color me excited. Couldn't understand the Belters but that's intentional on their part.

This discussion has been closed.