As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2016 rule changes?

SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
Not sure if anyone can answer these questions just yet but I'm curious given the recent interviews Robert Khoo has given and the PAX Prime badge sellout.

1) Will the PAX Prime "No more 4 day passes" thing be applied to PAX East?
2) I'm curious how they got the 'data' that 4 day passes weren't being used for all 4 days? PAX East doesn't require badges to be scanned so I'm not sure how you'd track actual attendance by badge type per day? Do PAX Prime badges require you to scan in? It seems like an odd data point to have when there seem to be no real way to get that data reliably.
3) Will they get rid of the queue lines in PAX East too? I'd be nice (for lazy people like me) not have to walk from the back parking lot all the way to the front :biggrin:

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    1) no idea!
    2) there are many people around PAX who are using clickers to track sight of different badges, that could be one method. There's definitely no scanning at pax prime
    3) East doesn't yet have all the same space constraints prime does, and also there's not as much good "outside" area to use since it's more likely for the weather to be a factor for people waiting outdoors at East.

• GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    2) They monitor and tabulate entry through the doors via camera. It's also part of the security software (face recognition, etc) to keep things safe. There was an article around the East 2015 that flat out stated that at any time, they could do a flash audit of the BCEC and tell you exactly how many people are in the building total.

• RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    Weather in Boston is likely to be pretty dang nice, seeing as it's in late April.

Also there assuredly won't be 4 day passes, as Pax East is a 3 day event.

PW0oFIs.png
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    3) East doesn't yet have all the same space constraints prime does, and also there's not as much good "outside" area to use since it's more likely for the weather to be a factor for people waiting outdoors at East.

HA! =)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not saying east doesn't fill its space, but it's far less cramped than the WSCC. It hasn't spilled out into other venues yet ;)

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Having been to Prime this year, zerzhul is utterly correct- the BCEC is waaaaayyy more spacious.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Having been to Prime this year, zerzhul is utterly correct- the BCEC is waaaaayyy more spacious.

I agree, experiencing Prime for the first time was like going to my first PAX all over again...the space at WSCC is way smaller than BCEC. At Prime you have to travel between many buildings to see all of the stuff you want to check out. Don't get me wrong, it was great fun and I'm excited to go back, but it as eye opening compared to the convenience of the BCEC.

• ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    East is my only PAX experience, so I'm accustomed to everything being under one (gigantic) roof. I'd love to go to Prime one year just to get that experience of hopping between different buildings. Then again, maybe it's a "grass is greener" thing and I'd immediately get annoyed with having to run from one building to another.

mkf6ad9.png
  • sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    ltgrunt wrote: »
    East is my only PAX experience, so I'm accustomed to everything being under one (gigantic) roof. I'd love to go to Prime one year just to get that experience of hopping between different buildings. Then again, maybe it's a "grass is greener" thing and I'd immediately get annoyed with having to run from one building to another.

East was my first, so Prime annoys me. I want convenience under one roof dammit. But ymmv

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Weather in Boston is likely to be pretty dang nice, seeing as it's in late April.

Except East isn't always in April so you have to be mindful of years like, well, this year when it was a cold mess with snow everywhere.

YL9WnCY.png
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Even April can have surprise snowstorms because New England.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    or it can be really rainy in april

• danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular

And it will eventually get more spacious when ever they start the expansion to the convention center that will add another 1.2 million sq ft of space. But who knows when that expansion will actually begin but its something fun to look forward too.

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »

or 80s the week before PAX and then in the 40s the week of PAX. Boston weather in March/April can get a bit screwy.

JfqWFk8.png
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I've been 4 times, two snowy, one hot, one average.

pax%20sig.png
  • InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    Kilonum wrote: »

or 80s the week before PAX and then in the 40s the week of PAX. Boston weather in March/April can get a bit screwy.

Coming from Canada, 40s is downright balmy weather so I won't mind that. That's more or less what it is right now and it's good jacket weather.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Two years ago, it was around 70 during the day, and pretty comfortable to walk around with no jacket, or a very light jacket, at night. That was in early to mid-ish April.

Last year, in early March, it was FRIGID. Temps in the single digits over night, and in the twenties during the day. COLD! And windy. With a TON of snow on the ground (leading up to Pax East, Boston spent much of the season getting BURIED by snow, over and over). NOT walking friendly, and Boston is a pretty foot traffic friendly city, usually, IMHO.

You are much more likely to see highs in the 50's and 60's in late April than you are 20's and 30's, obviously. But we've had snow up in this neck of the woods (NW Connecticut) for Easter, when Easter is in April. East 2016 has, in terms of chances, about as good a chance of warmer temps as you could hope for. But it's not a guarentee.

pilferk on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It's basically a crap shoot weather wise. It can be hot or cold or both given time of day. It could be rains, snow, sleet, or shine. Being in late April you really are in a time to roll the dice type of situation when it comes to the weather. We really won't know till it gets closer and we have some better visibility on how the weather has been looking in the weeks preceding the event and that's hardly even a useful gauge.

Sleep on
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

Coming from Canada, 40s is downright balmy weather so I won't mind that. That's more or less what it is right now and it's good jacket weather.

Yah, agreed there.

Mind you, even *I* found last year somewhat nippy. Of course, the year before I walked to the con centre in a garish hawaiian shirt and shaved head with perfect comfort so...yeah. Boston weather varies. A lot.

(If my weather memory serves:
    2010 was chilly and rainy
    2011 was chilly the Thursday and then the temperature shot up to about 15C-ish
    2012 was typical...5-10C
    2013 pretty much the same
    2014 Balmy as hell, glorious
    2015 crappy, crappy weather- cold and snow everywhere)

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png

Yah, agreed there.

Mind you, even *I* found last year somewhat nippy. Of course, the year before I walked to the con centre in a garish hawaiian shirt and shaved head with perfect comfort so...yeah. Boston weather varies. A lot.

2012 was typical...5-10C

I'm from Nova Scotia so I'm used to the screwy weather. It can be warm one day and cold the next. It was 16 with the heavy rain and wind yesterday and right now it's -1 with snow. We're the tail pipe of North America :p

Yah, agreed there.

2012 was typical...5-10C

I'm from Nova Scotia so I'm used to the screwy weather. It can be warm one day and cold the next. It was 16 with the heavy rain and wind yesterday and right now it's -1 with snow. We're the tail pipe of North America :p

Nova Scotia? Yeah you'll probably know what to do as far as being prepared for the Boston weather, once we actually get to that week.

• pilotman996pilotman996 Boston, MARegistered User regular

Im gonna guess you're not from this area. April is nice in a lot of places. Last year it was cold as heck and had a foot of snow on the ground. It varies year by year, buy you can rest assured on cold and windy.

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    This year was Early March and this coming year is late April, so it should certainly be warmer being 45 days later.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Karoneth wrote: »
    This year was Early March and this coming year is late April, so it should certainly be warmer being 45 days later.

I would hope but weather in the Northeast can be crazy at times. I mean I'm in Pennsylvania and we get these random ice storms into April some years. I'm hoping though that it will at least be warmer than last year which was... frigid. Also it would be nice to have some lesser PAX pox due to time of year. I got hit hard last year even though I felt I did all I could to prevent it

P0P7S6y.png
    Solanales wrote: »

I would hope but weather in the Northeast can be crazy at times. I mean I'm in Pennsylvania and we get these random ice storms into April some years. I'm hoping though that it will at least be warmer than last year which was... frigid. Also it would be nice to have some lesser PAX pox due to time of year. I got hit hard last year even though I felt I did all I could to prevent it

Well, not attending the pokecrawl is 1 up on preventing the PAX POX.

Man the pokecrawl must have been stupid cold last year, the faneuil hall region is one of the biggest series of wind tunnels in the city and its getting gusts right off the water.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Man the pokecrawl must have been stupid cold last year, the faneuil hall region is one of the biggest series of wind tunnels in the city and its getting gusts right off the water.

I couldn't feel my fingers for most of the night... It was fun but the walk back to our hotel after was rough.

P0P7S6y.png
  • LordBraska1999LordBraska1999 Bahston, MARegistered User regular

Except East isn't always in April so you have to be mindful of years like, well, this year when it was a cold mess with snow everywhere.

Last year we were still recovering from that massive blizzard during East. The year before it was so fn cold like abnormally cold. Year before that it was ok on Sat. but the other to days...COLD! I'd just pack for cold and dress for cold, if it's warm you can always remove layers.

• pilotman996pilotman996 Boston, MARegistered User regular

I mean april in MA still a challenge. Last year we had snow 'till the end of May, and the Boston snow piles lasted till late July. This year we're supposed to have another winter on par with last year's, so snow and just terrible conditions is still a real possibility

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    I was just pleased by how much they cleared around the main drag. sure, getting to the nearby CVS was a death-defying feat, but somehow I expected it to be so much worse. Looking forward to April b/c just maybe it'll be nice

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Introvert2001Introvert2001 Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    As many have stated before, the weather in April in the Northeast can be quite screwy. This year it was pretty damn cold during most of April (I live in Upstate NY), then funnily enough, around the time East is going to be in 2016 it got really really nice, like around 60-70 Fahrenheit. So it is honestly a crapshoot in what weather we're going have in 2016. It could be average, in the 40-50s range, really nice in the 60s-70s, or cold in the 30s-40s. So my advice would be to pack for cold weather, you could always take off layers. I personally am praying for the sort of balmy late April weather we had this year.

East '15, '16
    East 2017 Tickets? Check!