As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Now F2P - HoT expansion is LIVE! Guild missions Sun @ Noon & Mon @ 5pm Pacific!

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Okay. Now I'm assuming that the more upkeep skills I have active, the slower my energy builds while I fight. If I am at -5 upkeep, does this mean I gain no energy during at all during a fight? Or that I just don't recover up to 50% outside of it?

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Asking again... I'm ready for raids now. Does anyone have room in their raid group? What time do you guys raid?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Okay. Now I'm assuming that the more upkeep skills I have active, the slower my energy builds while I fight. If I am at -5 upkeep, does this mean I gain no energy during at all during a fight? Or that I just don't recover up to 50% outside of it?

Base regen is +5. -5 upkeep means you're at 0 regen and won't regain energy in or out of battle.

Being out of combat only causes you to reset to 50 energy if you're over, but otherwise doesn't affect regen/upkeep.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    I see. Thanks! All very helpful info.

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Ideally, you should be switching legendaries when you run out of energy.

On my first raid, here is what I did (maybe not ideal):

I start in Glint. Before we run in I hit f2 once, swift, might and fury. Pop swift for burn and might for vulnerability while getting in position. I was condi, so smack things with my mace until I ran out of energy, then switch to Mayllx (gains 50 energy) and hit elite and Unyielding Anguish (the AOE jumpy skill) smack some more with mace until out of energy then switch back to Glint (again gains 50 energy) and swift, might, fury again. Repeat with using Glint elite for pushbacks on the orbs when possible.

Originally I was always hitting F2 twice to pop all the buffs (that's what I do when I'm running around), but apparently it is better to not do that.

That being said, I'm not a great player and would miss the F1 switch a few times while moving and dodging. I was also using a staff for break-bars, but might switch to hammer for the split as we were taking red down pretty fast and then needed to get blue and green down from range which I had none of. Not sure.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I think if you run out of energy before you swap stances you get a smaller cooldown

• LostInThoughtLostInThought Registered User regular
    Random revenant notes, since we are talking about it:

Glint stance swiftness aura active is always a DPS boost regardless of condi or power build, it should be used on cool down. It hits hard and burns.

Glint fury aura active is a stun break. I didn't notice that for awhile.

Sword 2 doesn't hit as hard as the autoattack, so it is generally not worth using against single targets. However, it launches projectiles that can hit targets with large hitboxes multiple times if you position cleverly.

Shiro heal skill is a DPS increase, so if you are about to switch back to your other stance go ahead and use it even if you don't need the heal.

I need to verify this, but I think glint's heal skill absorbs the damage from jade maw's laser in fractals.

Axe 4 second hit is probably the hardest hitting single packet of damage on the revenant, so axe works in both power and condi builds.

Hammer 4 puts a dark field right in front of you and the hammer auto is a 100% projectile finisher. This means every attack vamps health and heals a little.

I'm just starting to learn condi build, but I'm pretty sure against stationary targets prioritizing mace 2 over autoattack is more damage. The mace auto hits like a wet noodle, like "lower than Mesmer staff auto" weak.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    Ideally, you should be switching legendaries when you run out of energy.

On my first raid, here is what I did (maybe not ideal):

I start in Glint. Before we run in I hit f2 once, swift, might and fury. Pop swift for burn and might for vulnerability while getting in position. I was condi, so smack things with my mace until I ran out of energy, then switch to Mayllx (gains 50 energy) and hit elite and Unyielding Anguish (the AOE jumpy skill) smack some more with mace until out of energy then switch back to Glint (again gains 50 energy) and swift, might, fury again. Repeat with using Glint elite for pushbacks on the orbs when possible.

Originally I was always hitting F2 twice to pop all the buffs (that's what I do when I'm running around), but apparently it is better to not do that.

That being said, I'm not a great player and would miss the F1 switch a few times while moving and dodging. I was also using a staff for break-bars, but might switch to hammer for the split as we were taking red down pretty fast and then needed to get blue and green down from range which I had none of. Not sure.

You don't want to pop F2 because Facet of Nature buffs the boon duration of other people.

So if a Mesmer gets the Facet of Nature buff and puts down a Time Warp, that is +50% duration on Quickness from the Mesmer.

You run yourself out of energy in Glint to deactivate Facet of Nature in a Glint/Shiro build so you can avoid the CD on it. You can't run Impossible Odds with FoN since IO takes -10 upkeep and that is the max you can use. Once you switch back to Glint from Shiro you want to turn it back on to buff the party's boon duration again right away.

The advantage of a Glint/Mallyx over a Glint/Shiro build in a party with a Mesmer is that you can run Facet of Nature with 100% uptime, since you don't need to deactivate it for Impossible Odds. You're getting quickness from Time Warp so you don't need the Quickness from Shiro, and you get to stack Quickness with Embrace the Darkness.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Asking again... I'm ready for raids now. Does anyone have room in their raid group? What time do you guys raid?

I'm not sure if we're that far yet. The one time I've gone raiding with the guild, it was basically an "All right, who wants to come and die dozens of times over the next 2-3 hours so that someday soon we learn the mechanics well enough that we can go all-in on food buffs and make some serious attempts on this thing?" sort of deal.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    So I'm wondering how feasible it would be to try and organize a guild run of parts of the Triple Trouble meta (I know we don't have the people do triple trouble). Though I wonder if we could get the people and just focus down one head at a time. So people can get 3 of the four mastery points. I've only seen one successful kill of a wurm head and that was a triple decapitation. Every other time, people tend to be idiots about it from insisting on doing all three heads when the stuff isn't there for that because they need the achievements, completely failing to get they can't get all of the achievements in one run regardless of the number of decapitations achieved.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Just a thought guys, but the Ascended Armor materials will be raising in price somewhat soonish. If you have the mats to craft up damask/deldrimor/elonian, save them. The prices are super high right now, but with Legendary Armor coming out in a month or two when the other raid wings release, the price for those materials will most likely skyrocket, like how Spiritwood has. Save up your crafts, do them as often as you can, save up your lower mats. Shits gonna be crazy.

if you're hoping to craft some ascended armor for yourself, I'm really sorry but economics dude doesn't seem interested in that being a viable option without spending gems for gold. :p

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I started the collection for Ad Infinitum (which is indicative of the time it'd take me to finish it, methinks- ha, ha, ha) so I wanna know a few things.

Do I need any of the fractal-related masteries in order to complete this?

I have a stack of those infusions that drop when doing fractals. How do I upgrade those?

I'm hoping to do more fractals now that I have this long-term goal. I figure I better start thinking about getting ascended gear for my engineer.

Technically, no (at least, not for the first collection), but having the first fractal mastery means you can do two fractal dailies (which rewards an item you need 28 of for each step) a day, letting you complete the collection(s) faster.

Artificers upgrade those infusions by combining 2 infusions of the same level + 1 Thermocatalytic Reagent. You can figure out how many +1 infusions you need to make the infusion you want with the formula 2N-1 with N being the infusion you want (so a +10 infusion takes 29, or 512 +1 infusions) Also, I believe you have to use Discovery to craft the first one of each new level, and once you reach fractal Mastery 1, you get access to a vendor that will do much of the work for you (but only to specific infusion levels, and in bulk.)

I've read that you don't want to craft more than a +3 because the vendor you can use to trade up week end up using fewer resources beyond that.

Actually, no.

For an example... For a +6 infusion, the vendor wants 8 +3 infusions, and 7 reagents.

If you did the crafting yourself, you would spend 4 reagents to turn the 8 +3's into 4 +4's, 2 reagents to turn the 4 +4's to 2 +5's, and 1 reagent to turn the 2 +5's into a +6

4+2+1=7

In fact, that formula I gave? 2N-1? It might be more accurate to make it 2N-X, with N being the infusion level you want, and X being the level of infusion you start with. and it always takes exactly one less reagent to make the infusion you're shooting for.

Like I said, that vendor is for upgrading infusions in bulk, which is a common thing now that you're typically getting as many +1 infusions for a single fractal island as you did for a single fractal daily before HoT, and that's before you even begin to factor in the infusions you get from encryptions and the one-fractal dailies.

steam_sig.png
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Mill wrote: »
    So I'm wondering how feasible it would be to try and organize a guild run of parts of the Triple Trouble meta (I know we don't have the people do triple trouble). Though I wonder if we could get the people and just focus down one head at a time. So people can get 3 of the four mastery points. I've only seen one successful kill of a wurm head and that was a triple decapitation. Every other time, people tend to be idiots about it from insisting on doing all three heads when the stuff isn't there for that because they need the achievements, completely failing to get they can't get all of the achievements in one run regardless of the number of decapitations achieved.

You must get a triple decap in order to harm any of the decapped heads. They're invulnerable until all three are ready.

Your best bet is to just find an EVOS map. They're extraordinarily hard to find, in my experience, because either their schedule has changed since the last time you managed to find schedule information (which is non-trivial and seems to change often) or you got there too late and the map was full 40 minutes before the event started. Try just leaving the LFG panel open from about an hour before every normally scheduled Triple Trouble spawn, and look for their taxis. You'll find them eventually.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    XBLc94f.jpg

Gotta say man, i agree a lot. they didn't really give us much loot thats 'loot'. the new looks are all out of reach....

Its new content which is great. but literally everything is a giant grind, and things that were not a bad grind, were somehow made even more grindy.... I'm looking at you ascended armor.

Every GD zone has a clock. you are always on some clock now. guild hall upgrades and scribe? expensive clocks. And have you seen some of the decorations? A massively expensive statue of lyssa that does nothing and doesnt even sparkle? really? Any new crafting recipe is a giant gold sink. WvW straight is broken right now on the new maps with some classes able to ignore walls and damge things behind and on the wall, graphical bugs, un-targetable doors, WVW guilds are forced to PVE to build up the guild hall for WvW claiming.... you cannot earn the necessary things in wvw... etc. etc..... Class balance is busted to hell (poor poor warriors). guild missions have been pretty broken and the random nature is, to say the least, an adjustment, but to say more a point of contention.

I pretty much don't care about Maguma other than to get enough mastery to raid (because after fractal rewards being busted its all i got). There is some fun in pushing a map meta- but its finite.... a moment in time. As the weeks roll on people will do it in their sleep.

Would you rather have 100 people going through the motions or a new dungeon where 5 people have to be somewhat on point? granted dungeons are finite too.... i mean content gets learned.... but with a lower number than "everyone in a zone" you can tune stuff differently.

Worst of all- I am starting to think it failed to bring back as many players as I (we) hoped.

Still gonna wvw, fractal and raid. there's fun to be had. I wish it was a little more like GW2 than it is. There's some weird execution issues.

theres this too-

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/feignamnesia/blog/where-does-guild-wars-2-go-from-here/111804/
    The issue is that these additions are also all about grinding for reward. Beyond the story — itself quite slim — you are left for goals that are made to cost as much as possible to keep you playing the maps which themselves are so long, so consistently action-packed, that it triggers prior anti-grind game measures playing them normally, as the diminishing returns system decreases your loot and experience points the longer you play on the same map.

But are you having fun?

I hesitate to criticise this series because I love it — I love the universe and its progressive take on recovering from disaster (and not reliving the glory days of the past). I loved the first Guild Wars enough to play it for seven years as my game of choice, simply getting lost in the world, crafting my characters' stories. And the developers are so friendly, so available that it feels like striking down my friends — they comment on forums everywhere, their personal twitter accounts far from hidden, and all in love with their work. It's this sincerity that made the chaos of the base game so appealing: they so focused on different areas, so continually experimented, and so rewarded you for experimenting with them that the formalisation of this experimentation also brings with it a bittersweet ending, because it so seemingly requires adopting the antithesis of its manifesto to operate.

This is the future of Guild Wars 2. I hope we're ready for what comes next, and I hope we have fun.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    In case anyone is wondering how to beat the Toxic Bacon HP, here's your answer:
    Mango Pie.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    i find your answer..... delicious.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Saeris wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

You must get a triple decap in order to harm any of the decapped heads. They're invulnerable until all three are ready.

Your best bet is to just find an EVOS map. They're extraordinarily hard to find, in my experience, because either their schedule has changed since the last time you managed to find schedule information (which is non-trivial and seems to change often) or you got there too late and the map was full 40 minutes before the event started. Try just leaving the LFG panel open from about an hour before every normally scheduled Triple Trouble spawn, and look for their taxis. You'll find them eventually.
    They typically open up their map exactly 30 minutes before the hour. So 7:30 PDT or whatever. I got in one last night, but I had to leave LFG window open at 7:29 and quickly scan for the game to join it. Even then, I think I missed 3 or 4 taxis before I finally got into one. Don't click on any of the "LF EVOS run", because those are sad folks who haven't gotten in. Last night, it opened at 7:30 exactly, and the map was full at 7:35. :-P

They run one at 11:30AM PDT and one at 7:30PM PDT every day, I think. It was some of the easier Mastery points that I've received, but it did take multiple runs, some missed taxis, and some patience over the course of a couple weeks.

Amber and Cobalt require a MINIMUM of 20 people (and that's 20 people doing the run perfectly... you need more than that to account for a Condition team to kill Husks, reflectors to reflect wurm egg projectiles, and fuckups). Crimson can get away with less because their task is easier (although swiftness buffs/mobility tools are needed in that case). So yeah, unless we have 70+ people online at the same time all doing the Wurm, I'm not sure we can do it as a big guild thing.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

I'm not sure if we're that far yet. The one time I've gone raiding with the guild, it was basically an "All right, who wants to come and die dozens of times over the next 2-3 hours so that someday soon we learn the mechanics well enough that we can go all-in on food buffs and make some serious attempts on this thing?" sort of deal.

@naengwen & I were thinking of forming our own raid group, since we missed the boat on @CorriganX and @Kylindra 's, mostly. That's 1 Chronomancer and 1 Condi Engineer to start with ;)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Mango Pie.

I did it with a
    rejuvenation booster
    I had lying around.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular

@naengwen & I were thinking of forming our own raid group, since we missed the boat on @CorriganX and @Kylindra 's, mostly. That's 1 Chronomancer and 1 Condi Engineer to start with ;)

I would bring my warrior if it's after 9 PST. I've done a number of unsuccessful runs so far.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Just a thought guys, but the Ascended Armor materials will be raising in price somewhat soonish. If you have the mats to craft up damask/deldrimor/elonian, save them. The prices are super high right now, but with Legendary Armor coming out in a month or two when the other raid wings release, the price for those materials will most likely skyrocket, like how Spiritwood has. Save up your crafts, do them as often as you can, save up your lower mats. Shits gonna be crazy.

if you're hoping to craft some ascended armor for yourself, I'm really sorry but economics dude doesn't seem interested in that being a viable option without spending gems for gold. :p

How much more expensive has it become to craft ascended armor? It was pretty expensive prior to HoT to an extent, but I am noticing now that while Damask has slightly decreased in price, Elonian leather has shot up quite a bit. I've made a good deal of money from that.

I'm usually around a little bit each night, so if someone who doesn't have a single full set of ascended armor yet wants some help, I can provide a little help since I have a decent amount of elonian leather and bolts of damask, plus the once per day pre-reqs for making them as well.

I haven't paid much attention to the new requirements for inscriptions though.

edited November 2015
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Mango Pie.

I did it with a
    rejuvenation booster
    I had lying around.

I did it with no consumables, no adrenal mushroom, and no friendly Chronomancer with Alacrity!

How?
    Every tick is a % of your health, and the heal heals for exactly 5 ticks. If your first heal is at 5 ticks and you heal the instant it's off cooldown, you should make it with just a tiny, tiny sliver of health remaining
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    *stuff*

You know, if they added event rewards to the non-meta chain events, ala hero point reward chests, I think Tangled Depths would go from being the worst of the 4 to the best.

I mean, the meta chains can be completed super-fast, unlike with the other maps, which leaves you with easily a full hour bettween the meta chains ending and the Chak Garent starting up to leisurely explore and do more Classic-like events that spawn after the meta are done, almost like a Central Tyria map. The only problem is that you can never get map currency from doing then; All they are good for is xp and boosting your map participation for the sweet 75 leyline crystals you get if you have 100% participation when the garent meta-event starts. Give those events a means to earn crystals a loot? then (almost) any time to TD becomes a good time to TD.

Personally, I like the new maps, but I can absolutely see why people wished at least one of them was less like Silverwastes and more like Ghendarran Fields. I'll admit there are times where I wished there was a HoT map where I could go to and do things without having to wonder where on the meta chain(s) it's at.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular

Depends on when you guys are running, but I need a raid group too at some point. So I can bring my Guardian for tanking or whatevers.

Also, something that I would LOVE to see Anet do?

Make Dragon Stand a potential Guild World Event, where you can go to any DS map that hasn't started the meta, regardless of time, activate the Guild Event, and BAM!, the map timer resets to 2 hours and you can start the meta right then without having to start at some half hour time that might be in the second of the two hours your guildies can get together like that.

steam_sig.png
    Thank you again to @CorriganX and @naengwen for herding cats last night! Reaper is now fully unlocked. Not too sure about that hood, though...

@Ardor I'm thinking of crafting an ascended set for my engineer (he's the best-geared of my characters and the only one with a craft at 500), so if you wouldn't mind, I'd gladly accept your assistance.

@Foefaller I have done exactly that method you described with that Toxic Bacon HP, and failed each time. If not for Sharkey or some random helpful chronomancer, I'd never have gotten that point (4x now).

@Lucid_Seraph I'm with Feldorn on this one- if it's late night Pacific, I would be game to try. Assuming, of course, that my engineer meets the gear requirements. (Exotic armor and weapons, ascended trinkets/back.)

I'm also 3/6 of the Mistward set for my rev. A couple of those mention buying items off the vendors in Magus Falls. I was trying to locate them (I don't think I can buy from them yet, still need Nuhloch 3 and Itzel 2) but I have no idea where they are. Help?

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    @ringswraith

I believe this is a list of the materials you'd need for a full set of leather armor, adjusting for the new damask patch, which adds an Elonian Square to the previous recipe. You need leatherworking at 500 and have to purchase the recipes to make each piece for Karma I believe.
    15 Dragonite Ingot
    15 Empyreal Star
    15 Bloodstone Brick
    6 Augur's Stone
    24 Bolts of Damask
    36 Elonian Leather Squares
    30 Globs of Dark Matter
    120 Pile of Crystalline Dust
    720 Spool of Gossamer Thread
    6 Intricate Gossamer Insignia

I can help subsidize the cost of many of these materials for you, the ones that can be sold at least. I should have around 20 Elonian Leather Squares and 20 Bolts of Damask sitting around and I have 50+ of the spools required to craft them.

If the price is daunting (it should be to almost anyone), you can also consider alternate methods of hoping for ascended armor drops. Triple Trouble (if the TTS guild still does this one) can drop a box which gives a helm, shoulder or glove I think and I've had decent luck in Fractals of getting boxes, prior to the expansion which I hear nerfed drop rates.

I'll try to be around for a little bit tonight, usually as Sasarai or Berit. You can try catching me and we can chat.

• SmagglerSmaggler Registered User regular
    Yea, I still love GW2 but I can see Shaman's points. Basically its what happens when you hand the creative reigns over to the accountant.

Ardor wrote: »
    @ringswraith

I believe this is a list of the materials you'd need for a full set of leather armor, adjusting for the new damask patch, which adds an Elonian Square to the previous recipe. You need leatherworking at 500 and have to purchase the recipes to make each piece for Karma I believe.
    15 Dragonite Ingot
    15 Empyreal Star
    15 Bloodstone Brick
    6 Augur's Stone
    24 Bolts of Damask
    36 Elonian Leather Squares
    30 Globs of Dark Matter
    120 Pile of Crystalline Dust
    720 Spool of Gossamer Thread
    6 Intricate Gossamer Insignia

I can help subsidize the cost of many of these materials for you, the ones that can be sold at least. I should have around 20 Elonian Leather Squares and 20 Bolts of Damask sitting around and I have 50+ of the spools required to craft them.

If the price is daunting (it should be to almost anyone), you can also consider alternate methods of hoping for ascended armor drops. Triple Trouble (if the TTS guild still does this one) can drop a box which gives a helm, shoulder or glove I think and I've had decent luck in Fractals of getting boxes, prior to the expansion which I hear nerfed drop rates.

I'll try to be around for a little bit tonight, usually as Sasarai or Berit. You can try catching me and we can chat.

Thank you! I should be on- late Pacific as a reminder- to check out what I have.

I'm also 3/6 of the Mistward set for my rev. A couple of those mention buying items off the vendors in Magus Falls. I was trying to locate them (I don't think I can buy from them yet, still need Nuhloch 3 and Itzel 2) but I have no idea where they are. Help?

The easiest place to find both is the Itzel Village in VB.

If you need a condi Revenant I'm always up for trying and had a blast on our first run as an alternate. I'm working on my ascended mace and am about 200 aurilium(sp?) away from the Viper inscription I need to craft it, hopefully I can get that tonight. I'm also trying to work on the last couple of ascended trinkets and then maybe some Viper exotic armor to hold me over.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Smaggler wrote: »
    Yea, I still love GW2 but I can see Shaman's points. Basically its what happens when you hand the creative reigns over to the accountant.
    It's not exactly this, though there is an element of it in here.

First, we have to acknowledge that Dry Top and Silverwastes were extremely successful as zones. Comparing them to Southsun, which sees little to no play; Cursed Shore & Frostgorge Sound, which only see event/champion trains; or the rest of the vanilla zones, which are largely empty except for Guild Missions or World Boss trains, you can see why A.net modelled new zones on these two.

Now we already know Silverwastes has the problem - when played 'as intended' - of being fairly empty for 90% of the progress, before filling up as everyone is taxi'd in for Breach & VW. Similarly, Cursed Shore Temple events tend to only see play when they're up for grabs; nobody wants to defend them, so they become 'taxi zones' like SW. For whatever reason, they then viewed Dry Top (which is metagamed by only showing up at 40 past the hour) as the design basis for each of the new zones' meta-events.

Because - as already seen in Dry Top - player rewards are heavily tied to map progression, organised groups see great returns. In general I stopped doing Dry Top except with gw2c, and the same is now true of the Maguuma zones. This is partly because players aren't too good at organising themselves; it's partly because people who look for better profits tend to be better prepared to play well; it's partly because it's the most efficient use of time; it's partly because even things like breakbars are confusing for much of GW2's playerbase; it's partly because Tangled Depths is unpolished, and the Chak Gerent is tuned to Triple Trouble levels but doesn't have the rewards to justify this; it's partly because I enjoy the gw2c atmosphere and just generally hanging out with them on TS. But the ultimate point is that because it's more efficient to be on good maps, un-organised maps steadily get worse as sensible players jump to organised ones.

The main view I have is that A.net is stretched thin. None of what they've done is solely out of greed (though there are some hints that the Gem Store is getting greedier), but much of it is in response to what players have told them, both directly through the forum and the CDIs, and by the actual play statistics.

Players wanted longer term goals, and the result is a huge demand spike for every possible option, slowing down progress of achieving those goals through cost (and no, this has nothing to do with dungeon gold generation).
    Players wanted more engaging maps and rewards for staying on the same map instead of taxiing around all the time, and the result is a system that makes you feel bad for being on a suboptimal map.
    Players wanted raids, and the result is all the same raid culture that puts people off other MMOs, by making guilds create obligations and raid times and make the game feel more like a job.

There are a series of problems with HoT, but many of the economic ones are a classic error; tuning them around pre-demand spike costs, and then being surprised when, after demand spikes, the costs are then nuts. Some of the bigger fish are Scribing (Resonating Slivers are a mess of a currency; someone didn't do the maths), Schematics for WvW (almost nobody is touching these because the demand spike has made them nuts; let's just gloss over how the Supply Bag thing managed to get into the live game), Decorations (because Scribing), having multiple Guilds ('tax collection' issues) or being in small Guilds for a similar reason.

I don't know much about the consumer cycle, but I suspect that A.net picked the worse possible time to release the expansion. They had to have Hallowe'en running at the same time, they've barely released raids and are just starting the PvP League but they've got Wintersday coming up too, so the next time they're actually going to start getting time to refine all the new systems is going to be at least over a month away.

This is not to say the game isn't fun; there's plenty of fun to be had, especially with the new specs and all. Rather it's pointing out that it's hard for players to set goals they feel are reasonable in several areas of the game right now, and so the best bet is to slow down your play in those areas until A.net gets a chance to start iterating.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Something I find a little annoying/interesting about the new Maguuma maps is that they all kick off at the same times. For example, I'm on EST. I know that Verdant Brink daytime starts at 7:30pm, and nighttime flops at 8:45pm. I know Dragon's Stand resets at 8:30pm. I'm not sure on when Tangled Depths and Auric Basin cycle, but I know they're two hours apiece as well.

In some ways, I end up feeling constrained if I want to do Maguuma content based on when I log in. Your best shot at getting onto a successful map, from a meta standpoint, is to zone in right around the reset. Like, forget about going to Dragon's Stand after 8:45pm EST. Short of finding a lucky taxi group, you're going to have a bad time on an understaffed/directionless map.

I really do enjoy the Maguuma content too, especially as people are getting better at handling the more challenging meta-events. I cajoled a nighttime VB to Tier 4 via map chat babbling the other night, and it was pretty fun! Gliding is the best thing they've put into that game, especially once you hit Tier 5 and don't need to worry about your endurance bar anymore.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    http://gw2.ninja/timer for timer cycles for the new maps (and Dry Top)

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Wow they really like bundling their stupid shit together now dont they? At least I don't have to worry about being urged to buy the new bandit sniper outfit. :D

n1woEHJ.png
    edited November 2015
    Wow they really like bundling their stupid shit together now dont they? At least I don't have to worry about being urged to buy the new bandit sniper outfit. :D

its thier new way to extract money from the gem store (cool item is in a bundle, you have to buy the bundle for the cool item)..... wonder if it sticks.

I'm never giving them another dime if i can help it. gemstore wise at least.

mojojoeo on
    Starfleet Dental [SFD] unlocked guild armorer 2 here's the stuff
    Recipe Cost. 40 Crystalline Ore, 10 Commendations each. http://i.imgur.com/TwyhhQV.jpg
    Materials needed (Chest needs 5 Guild Insignia) http://i.imgur.com/17Dekgr.jpg
    Guild Insignia (No idea how to make this, the shards don't appear in the discover panel or MF) http://i.imgur.com/cZTaSfa.png
    Enjoy.
    EDIT: Dulfy link for the armour preview http://dulfy.net/2015/11/08/gw2-hot-weapons-armor-and-backpieces-guide/

Hope you've been stockpiling commendations from the buggy missions.

n1woEHJ.png
    edited November 2015
    Oh sweet another giant grind for new armor. Imagine.

Also- why in the holy fuck is it okay to sell the mini of the raid boss on the gem store vs have that be a raid drop (when the drops are reported to be underwhelming and not very liquid)?

the answer is its not.

mojojoeo on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Starfleet Dental [SFD] unlocked guild armorer 2 here's the stuff
    Recipe Cost. 40 Crystalline Ore, 10 Commendations each. http://i.imgur.com/TwyhhQV.jpg
    Materials needed (Chest needs 5 Guild Insignia) http://i.imgur.com/17Dekgr.jpg
    Guild Insignia (No idea how to make this, the shards don't appear in the discover panel or MF) http://i.imgur.com/cZTaSfa.png
    Enjoy.
    EDIT: Dulfy link for the armour preview http://dulfy.net/2015/11/08/gw2-hot-weapons-armor-and-backpieces-guide/

Hope you've been stockpiling commendations from the buggy missions.

And crystalline ore, which you might maybe get 20 of every 2 hours if you drop everything after clearing out DS to open all of the noxious pods on the entire map within 15 minutes.

Which you have totally memorized.

EDIT: or clear the story for a single piece. That's what, 18 clears? Easy.

naengwen on
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    But... but the chairs? Who will pay for the chairs???

edited November 2015
    Also! ALSO!

WVW is officially broken and dead. You can tell this because as of right now for the first time in a long time- every single server is available for transfer. to include transferring to T1 which has been blocked for months.

that means even on t1- populations participating in wvw are significantly dropping for sustained amounts of time. :/

mojojoeo on
    And to top it all off, I can't even finish the stupid story!

Along with everyone else it seems, I'm questioning the direction the game is going. Luckily I'm still having fun, but that could change as I work towards ascended gear.

This discussion has been closed.