As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Now F2P - HoT expansion is LIVE! Guild missions Sun @ Noon & Mon @ 5pm Pacific!

1939495969799»

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The thing I am by far most annoyed about with the expansion is that the challenging content, something I have hoped for since launch and the principle thing I was looking forward to in HoT, is tuned for Ascended. Adding insult to injury they have also made Ascended gear even more of a chore to get now.

I'm considering ways I can get at least a couple of Ascended weapons without it feeling too grindy, but it sure won't be quick and then there's the problem of build flexibility. Seems like pointless roadblocks between me and fun (roadblocks I can skip past if I get out my wallet...)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The problem is that if they tuned it to be challenging for Exotic, it would be less challenging for Ascended.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Enig wrote: »
    The thing I am by far most annoyed about with the expansion is that the challenging content, something I have hoped for since launch and the principle thing I was looking forward to in HoT, is tuned for Ascended. Adding insult to injury they have also made Ascended gear even more of a chore to get now.

I'm considering ways I can get at least a couple of Ascended weapons without it feeling too grindy, but it sure won't be quick and then there's the problem of build flexibility. Seems like pointless roadblocks between me and fun (roadblocks I can skip past if I get out my wallet...)

That little tidbit they never publicized either. More expensive recipies suddenly, and a drop rate from fractals closer to zero than a number. Thanks?
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The problem is that if they tuned it to be challenging for Exotic, it would be less challenging for Ascended.

this is 100% true- but it doesn't help that the above was stealth added in.

Whateveres- in fun news:

someone was advocating the removal of the flax farm today. :D Like what?
    also that gems glider is pretty sweet looking. gemstore bundle be damned.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I was thinking more along the lines of locking stats to Exotic level and tuning for that, which would surely be trivial for them to do.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    There is no way for them to have balanced Raids around Ascended Gear. The difference between Exotic and Ascended is minuscule compared to the difference a build and class can make in DPS and Durability. I am sure they tried to tune it with that gear in mind but three is no way it is actually required once players know the fights well enough.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Wow they really like bundling their stupid shit together now dont they? At least I don't have to worry about being urged to buy the new bandit sniper outfit. :D

its thier new way to extract money from the gem store (cool item is in a bundle, you have to buy the bundle for the cool item)..... wonder if it sticks.

I'm never giving them another dime if i can help it. gemstore wise at least.

Oh, man. I just saw the reasoning for these posts.

What the everloving pancake, Anet. The glider doesn't even fit thematically with the outfit.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, as a bit of relief from the Doom n' Gloom.

kkt73j0.jpg

Got my Fix-R-Upper today! also changed the skin of my Fractal Capacitor to a Spinal Blades skin (the actual Tempered Spinal Blades is sitting in my bank, waiting for some imperceptible future where I finally decide what stat set I want for it.)

As of right now, I consider my Engineer's appearance complete... at least, the straight DPS/Tank set. I know condi Engineer is the must have thing for raids, but that's not what I play in Open world/Fractals and I'm not too keen on stat swapping them to Viper just yet, especially since rebuilding the set would be so expensive now.

steam_sig.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Hokai, so, I have made a spreadsheet to gauge interest in a raid group. Uhh, I actually don't know if the builds I wrote down is the current meta, but I think it is? Anyway first come first served, put down your name near the role you wanna play and then fill out the rest. If you dont' know what role you want or you're late to the party, just put yourself down in overflow.

i would like Team Seraph to be pretty casual, like, we are here to die a lot and hopefully someday learn to not die, not to like SPEEDRUN MUST BE PERFECT ALWAYS. With that in mind, I welcome anyone wearing Exotic gear, even if that's all you have. Hell, I almost wanna prove that you CAN do this in Exotics only, because fuck Ascended. So yeah, just Exotics, or a mix of Exotic and Ascended is totes fine. I do have a full set of Ascended in my chosen stat combo, but, whatever man.

As for the "Caller" column, that's if you wanna be the person who calls out what the boss is doing and what we should be doing. I am not good at this, because I am a long-winded chatterbox and it's better if I just shut up for stuff like this :P

ANYWAY:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EgMzFRJ5QJWidddIbrs6jAOEK_CDPvkonmFWe0LvCH0/edit?usp=sharing

@Foefaller @Geod @naengwen @Feldorn @ringswraith

possibly @Enig because as I said I actually don't care if you're in all Exotics, we'll try it anyway.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Sooo I made nightfury.

In short I'm gonna say not worth at all.

Dunno if anyone has posted this befor but the effect is hard to see and poor at the best (ok it looks good when you are standing still), and the bats tends to get lost when you run around and not return (befor you take it on and off).

If they update it with more bats, and better effects it might be worth it later on! But I doubt anet will do that.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Cool, even if I don't have Condi gear for my Engineer, I DO have a full zerk Berserker I can banner and headbutt all up ins.

EDIT: Hey, should I put in the overflow tab any alts that might be raid-worthy as well? I got a necro with a full set of ascended that I could turn into Valkyrie's, and I'm this close to turning my Engi's Celestial armor with Hoelbrak runes into Knight's armor with Scrapper runes + the Nomad's trinkets for LW Season 2 and make a Scrapper Tank.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    @Lucid_Seraph I'll try and remember to get my info in there tonight.

I main berserker, mostly ascended, zerker PS. I also can get Condi engi going, or mesmer, and I would even get my ranger druided out for healing if that was wanted.

As for ascended, knowing mechanics and hire to play your class are more important for Vale Guardian. That said, getting 5/6 ascended accessories isn't very hard, and it's usually with it to make at least one weapon set. I'm personally hoping to get armor from fractals :P

Also, at least run t5 food and sharpening stone or oil. Koi cakes don't cost much for Condi classes. Either plate of steak and asparagus or slice of candied dragon roll (omnomberry pie) or even minotaur steak are like an extra piece of gear. I wouldn't burn the expensive utility buffs unless we're getting close and super srs.

Feldorn on
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So, ascended gear crafting.

I'm thinking I should make the weapon first, as that has the biggest stat boost (or so I've heard- please correct me if I'm wrong).

I want a rifle for my engi, which means I first need to get a Huntsman to 500. But after that, what's the "best" way to go about actually making the weapon?

I'm thinking of Viper's. Should I craft another stat (and if so, which one is recommended) and then use the recipe to switch it to Viper's? Or should I just craft it into Viper's directly? (I'm assuming whatever advice you can give me here, would also apply to my armor crafting.)

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Is the server down right now? I can't log in or connect to the website....

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    So, ascended gear crafting.

I'm thinking I should make the weapon first, as that has the biggest stat boost (or so I've heard- please correct me if I'm wrong).

I want a rifle for my engi, which means I first need to get a Huntsman to 500. But after that, what's the "best" way to go about actually making the weapon?

I'm thinking of Viper's. Should I craft another stat (and if so, which one is recommended) and then use the recipe to switch it to Viper's? Or should I just craft it into Viper's directly? (I'm assuming whatever advice you can give me here, would also apply to my armor crafting.)

100% make a different ascended stat first then switch it to viper's with the mystic forge.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Also, not to be that guy, but rifle on engineer isn't great for condition builds. Sure, blunderbuss is awesome, and puts on some bleed, but it's no blowtorch.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Is the server down right now? I can't log in or connect to the website....

The login servers and chat servers are down. If you're in game you can still do stuff, but you can't communicate outside of map chat. If you're trying to log in you can't get in atm. Come join us on teamspeak woo.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    I was just looking around to see if the log issue was really on my end or not.

• VargVarg Registered User regular
    I got into a vortex at Tequatl at reset to get the last bit of gloom I needed for Dusk. Go to craft it and turns out I have everything but an item from laurel vendors. . . 2 days after I used all my laurels to get an amulet for my ranger. Twilight in a week instead of after the login servers get back up lol. I also decided to prep the other weapon collections I like for Necromancer and they weren't kidding on the underwater collections being reasonable! Already on collection 3 for the spear.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Also, not to be that guy, but rifle on engineer isn't great for condition builds. Sure, blunderbuss is awesome, and puts on some bleed, but it's no blowtorch.

dual pistols is civilization friend

So unfortunately @ringswraith, 9 PM PST is 12 AM EST, which is when @Geod and I turn into pumpkins :( We just can't work that.
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Cool, even if I don't have Condi gear for my Engineer, I DO have a full zerk Berserker I can banner and headbutt all up ins.

EDIT: Hey, should I put in the overflow tab any alts that might be raid-worthy as well? I got a necro with a full set of ascended that I could turn into Valkyrie's, and I'm this close to turning my Engi's Celestial armor with Hoelbrak runes into Knight's armor with Scrapper runes + the Nomad's trinkets for LW Season 2 and make a Scrapper Tank.

Yes, please put your alts into the Overflow! None of mine are really geared up for that, but being flexible is a great thing.
    Feldorn wrote: »

Also, at least run t5 food and sharpening stone or oil. Koi cakes don't cost much for Condi classes. Either plate of steak and asparagus or slice of candied dragon roll (omnomberry pie) or even minotaur steak are like an extra piece of gear. I wouldn't burn the expensive utility buffs unless we're getting close and super srs.

Relatedly, I have 25 plates of Rare Veggie Pizza to share for our Condi bros.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
This discussion has been closed.