As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kind of a blah [Steam] sa.. OH GOD WOLFENSTEIN: TNO FOR $9!!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    "Royce wrote:
    Survival Time: 4 days, 4.13 hours.

Final Moments:

Stranger's lower right arm was scratched.
    Player spied on Stranger.
    ** End Turn **
    Player is thirsty.
    Player takes cover from Stranger.
    Player is taking cover, and is harder to hit with ranged weapons.
    Stranger tries to attack Player...but misses!
    Stranger is exposed to easy attack for a moment.
    ** End Turn **
    Player lures Blue Frog Cultist into a trap!
    Player is exposed to easy attack for a moment.
    Blue Frog Cultist fell to the ground, and must regain footing to continue.
    Blue Frog Cultist needs a moment to recover before acting again.
    Blue Frog Cultist's lower left arm was bruised.
    Blue Frog Cultist's upper right leg was slashed.
    Blue Frog Cultist attacks Player...and hits!
    Blue Frog Cultist shredded Player's head with a .308 rifle FMJ.
    Player has a concussion, and is somewhat disoriented.
    Player is stunned and unable to move for a moment.
    Player died of a severe traumatic brain injury.
    ** End Turn **

Player is using an optical magnification device.
    Player is skilled in hand-to-hand combat. Melee weapons are more effective and degrade slower.
    Player has a high metabolism, and consumes food and water faster than most. However, Player also recovers faster from wounds and illness.
    Player is thirsty.
    Player is comfortable.
    Player is unburdened by what they're carrying.
    Player is well-rested.
    Player's hunger is sated.
    Player is wearing the protective talisman.
    Player has a normal circulation of blood.
    Player is in minor pain, and some activities are affected.
    Player is fighting off an infection.
    Player is skilled in trapping and snares.
    Player is barefoot, and cannot travel as easily.
    Player already discovered Exam Room 17.
    Player is skilled in diagnosing and repairing machines.
    Player is knowledgeable in plants.
    Player is skilled at hacking.
    Player discovered the bank account info at the cryo facility.
    Player is beginning the transformation into a wendigo.
    Player is ready to advance to wendigo 2.
    Player cannot run in combat.
    Player knows that the creature coming down the hall was a dogman.
    Player already returned to the cryo facility.
    Player is wearing a wrist strap from Gyges Cryo Facility.
    Player has painful blisters on their foot.
    Player saw the glow in the east.
    Player has acted significantly more good than evil.

I ate a man. I moved east to reach detroit and was slain by a cultist who was both strong and tough. Should have drawn the gun.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    GoldenbarqsGoldenbarqs Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    An e-mail update tells me that Act IV of Kentucky Route Zero is coming soon.

WHAT.

Clicky

f2JjYPK.jpg?2

one day in the future i will finally be able to recommend this amazing game to friends without the caveat "but like it probably won't be done for another like three years so i guess you can wait until then to pick it all up at once and have your mind blown or whatever

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    True, but the comparison was just too good not to make. :)
    It did give us awesome armored Cortana.

22500851552_61930ffb08_z.jpg

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    She ain't evil; she just has conviction.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What's the point of guarding lions?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Jazz

So, though I know my computer has 2 video cards (the drawback of having a laptop with both integrated and dedicated cards), My computer seems to default to the integrated card when games sense what I have as resources. Now, the dedicated card is already set as my always default, but it might be why AC: Syndicate is "framing" pretty medium on high settings (though it could just be that my card is working and isn't up to snuff as well for high). I'll mess around a bit more, but so far it looks like the game might require more fussing to work on my computer, and thus probably yours as well.

Mine has the same setup, but as mine's an AMD card it doesn't auto-switch as Nvidia Optimus equipped machines do, I have to do it manually. Which suits me fine, and I know for certain which GPU is running at any given time (also handy when games are detecting resources as they always find the proper GPU). I'd be astonished if AC: Syndicate was actually using your integrated card and somehow remained playable, so I'm guessing it's using your dedicated GPU... the fact that it's even playable and you're talking about high settings impresses me! I may yet keep an eye on it for future sale fodder. Cheers for the update, and let me know how you continue to get on with it.

Jazz on
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    So tomorrow is the start of the infamous Steam sales which I've heard so much about in previous threads for the Christmas season, eh? I look forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Need a list of best low overhead games on steam for people always losing their gaming pc's and video cards.

Diadra Empty is like the shmup for people who are not extremely hardcore shmup players. It has moments that are absolutely spectacular, and was probably made to run on windows 98. The frequent use of an invincibility dash to evade bullets is core to the game, and lets you get away with less-than-perfect memorization of the bullet patterns.

Half-Minute Hero is a PC port of one of the very best portable games ever made. It has two visual nostalgia options: one which makes the game look like a meh Flash game from Newgrounds, and one which makes it look like an awesome 8-bit game (albeit with special effects that would be impossible on a true 8-bit system) with a few PC-Engine-esque still images. It will run on your Windows XP machine and requires a video card that is literally 12 years old.

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ will run on probably anything from the past decade, which is bad, because it means you're only escape from it is by burning yourself out on the game.

Rock of Ages.

I own all of those. I should try playing them at some point.

Also hello steam thread. Long time no see. How goes the prep for our yearly decent into madness?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Winter Gale brackets New Year's.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    She ain't evil; she just has conviction.

She's just drawn that way?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Coffey wrote: »
    So tomorrow is the start of the infamous Steam sales which I've heard so much about in previous threads for the Christmas season, eh? I look forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.
    Winter Gale brackets New Year's.

Yeah this is just an appetizer...well maybe. Sales tend to become less tremendous to those with ridiculous backlogs. Also the removal of flash deals might be a damper on the craziness but I think it's for the better personally.

Karoz on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I know they worry about bots and collusion and stuff but it would be fun if the meta game tried to get you to play games with people / friend groups.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Enough NOT steam talk, what is a good brothel simulator on steam.

Besides the huniepop sequel and it's cam girl simulator.

Well, if you mean that literally: http://store.steampowered.com/app/389690/

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It'll be interesting to see how much the sales have changed since we apparently won't have flash sales or whatever this year. It might make it a little less exciting.

One thing I miss was the one year they let people buy a bunch of copies of one game as gifts for a good discount. I don't expect that'll be returning, though, especially with the rise of grey market sites.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    "Royce wrote:
    Survival Time: 4 days, 4.13 hours.

Final Moments:

Player spied on Stranger.
    ** End Turn **
    Player is thirsty.
    Player takes cover from Stranger.
    Player is taking cover, and is harder to hit with ranged weapons.
    Stranger tries to attack Player...but misses!
    Stranger is exposed to easy attack for a moment.
    ** End Turn **
    Player lures Blue Frog Cultist into a trap!
    Blue Frog Cultist fell to the ground, and must regain footing to continue.
    Blue Frog Cultist needs a moment to recover before acting again.
    Blue Frog Cultist's lower left arm was bruised.
    Blue Frog Cultist's upper right leg was slashed.
    Blue Frog Cultist attacks Player...and hits!
    Blue Frog Cultist shredded Player's head with a .308 rifle FMJ.
    ** End Turn **

Player is using an optical magnification device.
    Player is skilled in hand-to-hand combat. Melee weapons are more effective and degrade slower.
    Player has a high metabolism, and consumes food and water faster than most. However, Player also recovers faster from wounds and illness.
    Player is thirsty.
    Player is comfortable.
    Player is unburdened by what they're carrying.
    Player is well-rested.
    Player's hunger is sated.
    Player is wearing the protective talisman.
    Player has a normal circulation of blood.
    Player is in minor pain, and some activities are affected.
    Player is fighting off an infection.
    Player is skilled in trapping and snares.
    Player is barefoot, and cannot travel as easily.
    Player already discovered Exam Room 17.
    Player is skilled in diagnosing and repairing machines.
    Player is knowledgeable in plants.
    Player is skilled at hacking.
    Player discovered the bank account info at the cryo facility.
    Player is beginning the transformation into a wendigo.
    Player is ready to advance to wendigo 2.
    Player cannot run in combat.
    Player knows that the creature coming down the hall was a dogman.
    Player already returned to the cryo facility.
    Player is wearing a wrist strap from Gyges Cryo Facility.
    Player has painful blisters on their foot.
    Player saw the glow in the east.
    Player has acted significantly more good than evil.

I ate a man. I moved east to reach detroit and was slain by a cultist who was both strong and tough. Should have drawn the gun.
    Player has acted significantly more good than evil

What kind of standards does this game adhere to if that doesn't offset the scales even a bit

I was playing Thief 3 Deadly Shadows for the first time last night. I haven't been able to shake the feeling that Garret has turned into a horse for this game.
    • When walking on tiles or cold stone, the sound made is more a clip-clop from hooves than padded shoe soles
    • The 4:3 resolution makes it seem hes walking around with blinders on. Seriously, no one would turn to a life of crime as a thief with peripheral vision this poor
    • When climbing obstacles, Garret sort of gets half-up first then fully up, as if he was doing a set of front legs first then his back legs
    • The sound of lockpicking sounds like a horse chewing on a girdle. He probably considers the lock for a few moments before bullying the door and breaking the lock

Thief 3 is one of those fancy mid-2000 games that renders your whole body while in first-person mode, but I think this is a case of unreliable-narrator. I think hes a horse that is so good at sneaking and theft that of course he's a human, no other horse in history has ever been able to do these things, he surely must be a human then. Even the mental dialogue is just an imprint from logical series of events, horses aren't stupid. His fence for stolen goods doesn't care if a horse comes in pretending to be human - stolen goods from this equine fella are as good as anyone else, not to mention how fantastic the story would be when told down at the local watering hole.

The game is certainly a lot of fun played this way :biggrin:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Let's just say Neo Scavenger is the kind of game where the other guy probably had it coming.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    @RoyceSraphim you're in the same boat as me.

A lot of awesome ideas so far, I'd also look into Eldritch, Eufloria, Y's or almost anything sprite based or stuff based on the rpg maker junk, Music based stuffs like beat hazard or audiosurf or similar geometry wars, One way heroics, Spelunky, Star Wars Stuffs Jedi Knight Academy and prior, Teleglitch, half minute hero 1 & 2 (2 is pretty good but cringe worthy at points), Mount and Blade, etc

Sure you have a bunch of these already but they work super well on junk comps. I know from experience.

Edit: Grab Secrets of Grindea or Awesomenauts for some multiplayer shenanigans. We can be the bad comp crew.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Thief 3 is a third-person game with a first-person mode. In spite of The Cradle, it really took the reboot for it fo not be the 'worst' Thief game.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    An e-mail update tells me that Act IV of Kentucky Route Zero is coming soon.

WHAT.

Clicky

f2JjYPK.jpg?2

one day in the future i will finally be able to recommend this amazing game to friends without the caveat "but like it probably won't be done for another like three years so i guess you can wait until then to pick it all up at once and have your mind blown or whatever
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I feel sorry for people who buy Kentucky Route Zero once the whole thing is released and just play it one episode after another

It's just so appropriate for the atmosphere of the game to go months and months between the episode and to only have hazy half-rememberings of what went on previously.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I bought and played a bit of Thea.
    That game is interesting but also not easy.

Imagine if you were on a Civ map with only 1 city, and you have a complicated tiered resource system that governed upgrades, and you have to use your expedition to pick up resources outside your zone of control and to loot goodie huts and the combat is done through a card game. And there are a lot of random events.

It doesn't do its best to explain everything but there is something there for sure.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    GoldenbarqsGoldenbarqs Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I feel sorry for people who buy Kentucky Route Zero once the whole thing is released and just play it one episode after another

It's just so appropriate for the atmosphere of the game to go months and months between the episode and to only have hazy half-rememberings of what went on previously.

i had never considered that angle. maybe i'll try adding that to my approach. so far it's been "it's a game that's fantastical in a mundane way, and the atmosphere is great, and it just makes you FEEL things." which with that i guess i can't blame them for going "umm... okay... maybe later." i've even tried giving it to friends for free and they just never get around to redeeming their gift. I JUST NEED EVERYONE TO EXPERIENCE THIS.

Goldenbarqs on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Speaking of Neo Scavenger, my latest attempt had me thinking I'm King Shit of Fuck Mountain because my ranged character happened upon a loaded rifle.

I was then torn apart by wild dogs in my sleep. This was the dawn of day two.

That's right baby, I'm just an object! Hurt me more!

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Scratchy wrote: »
    @RoyceSraphim you're in the same boat as me.

A lot of awesome ideas so far, I'd also look into Eldritch, Eufloria, Y's or almost anything sprite based or stuff based on the rpg maker junk, Music based stuffs like beat hazard or audiosurf or similar geometry wars, One way heroics, Spelunky, Star Wars Stuffs Jedi Knight Academy and prior, Teleglitch, half minute hero 1 & 2 (2 is pretty good but cringe worthy at points), Mount and Blade, etc

Sure you have a bunch of these already but they work super well on junk comps. I know from experience.

Edit: Grab Secrets of Grindea or Awesomenauts for some multiplayer shenanigans. We can be the bad comp crew.

Oh, this didn't happen to me, but it happens so often, I decided to make a list.

X-Com with the OXcom mod should go on there as well.

• Options
    Holy shit I can also flawlessly run legacy of kain: soul reaver and sonic adventure DX. My shite laptop is a perfect dreamcast! Fuck yeah! now to get a controller to work with the kain series.

I think I asked this before about three or four steam threads ago, but how do I make controller gud for that? I had it set up on my desktop but I can't remember at all what I did or who helped me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    Holy shit I can also flawlessly run legacy of kain: soul reaver and sonic adventure DX. My shite laptop is a perfect dreamcast! Fuck yeah! now to get a controller to work with the kain series.

I think I asked this before about three or four steam threads ago, but how do I make controller gud for that? I had it set up on my desktop but I can't remember at all what I did or who helped me.

I dont know if theres someone in the thread that specifically uses controllers for everything.
    No I really am not sure.
    It could be anyone really.
    am I forgetting anyone?

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I either use the Pinnacle Game Profiler, or the new Steam Controller. If you already have a 360 controller (or other comparable controller), I'd go with Pinnacle over the Steam Controller (simply because older game control schemes have more in common with older controllers).

This also reminds me that I'll be needing to make controller profiles for those games in Pinnacle (since those games really need a second stick to play), note that while Pinnacle has a way to block most games from "seeing" a controller so it uses your profile instead, that doesn't work for the LoK games (on Steam, at least) without first going into the games proper and, where possible, turning off the controller input.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Well, that's good to know. I'll probably still wait a bit longer, just because procrastination is my thing. I guess there are like, security concerns by some folks? How much of that is real and how much of that is blowing things a bit out of proportion?

98.6%

;)
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I had issues with:

Dropsy
    Velocity 2x
    Akiba's Strip

Akiba and Dropsy were fixed, Dropsy just like last week. Velocity hasn't been patched since release. IIRC the Velocity issue is a combo of Win 10 and Nvidia GPUs, AMD users didn't have the issue.

So I mean these are brand new indie games having trouble with Windows 10 even, and ones published by Activision and Devolver, so not some random small titles. Then there's things like the Commandos games getting removed from Steam because of issues with it. Haven't played a lot of older games recently but IIRC anything with some of the old shitty DRMs of the past has issues too.

And the Dualshock 4 was basically totally screwed up until the November update.

So, there's definetly some kinks to work out. And really the big kicker is, there isn't a ton of reason to upgrade yet. Unless you really want to play the Fable Legends beta. There's not much reason to upgrade yet, strictly speaking gaming wise.

Akiba's Strip worked fine for me from day 1. I've never even heard of the other two, but sounds more like it's the developer's issue than Microsoft's, if the fix had to come from the dev and not MS.

Older games that don't work with Win10 also probably didn't work with Win7 or Win8. There may be a few outliers, but there always is and that's (again) on the dev end and not MS end. If they're old enough, they're probably not getting fixed anyway, so delaying an upgrade hoping that <favorite game from 1998> will someday be compatible seems pointless.

There is, however, a noticeable performance improvement with Win10 over Win 7/8, so that's a reason to consider an upgrade. From boot time to general OS responsiveness, it's quite a bit better. YMMV, of course.

Quite clearly it's an issue with Developers. As an end user, I don't care who's at fault as much as if the game works. Just that even indie games published by major houses didn't build their games with Windows 10 in mind so it's likely you're going to find a variety of issues if you're unlucky.

The older games aren't a problem with Windows 7 and 8, it was new changes to 10 that broke them http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/windows-10-wont-run-games-with-securom-drm-says-microsoft-2/

There's not many noticeable improvements in performance, pretty much every benchmark out there shows it being the same and sometimes even worse (though very minor, as there's barely any difference in the first place). This will change with DX12 but nothing out there uses it really. Maybe boot time.

I was saying there's little incentive to upgrade, not that everything was MS' fault. It only introduces issues, it doesn't solve any, and it doesn't really improve anything. And there's not much gaming wise taking advantage of it yet. Might get a better boot time, like you said, though on an SSD I haven't noticed a difference.

Oh but they did make the One controller Win 10 exclusive, so if you like that controller a lot, that's one reason I suppose.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Huh? The XBone controller works fine on older Windows versions (though it doesn't plug and play like the 360 does).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Re: the Windows 10 discussion. @Houn , you're gonna love this.

Microsoft Makes Windows 10 Automatic Spying Worse

Spoiler'd for not cluttering up the thread too much; bolded a couple of bits I felt were worth highlighting. Some of you may have already run into these things, but if so I'm surprised there's been no mention of it.

tld;dr - the worst part for me is regarding Threshold 2; that it silently deletes some utilities you may have installed, including but not limited to Speccy and SpyBot. But privacy stuff has also been renamed, and user preferences reset. Yup, you get to turn them off all over again. Also it resets basics like your preferred web browser.
    Microsoft MSFT +0.00% has been on a roll lately. Its massive Windows 10 update ‘Threshold 2’ has far more good features than bad ones, the ‘free upgrade’ rules have been improved and even Microsoft’s Black Friday 2015 deals are surprisingly great. But a new discovery has been made which isn’t good news – at all…

Earlier this month Microsoft finally went on record admitting that automatic spying within Windows 10 cannot be stopped. This sparked a lot of outrage and with ‘Threshold 2’ it appeared Microsoft had done a sharp U-turn because the background service at the heart tracking (the ‘Diagnostics Tracking Service’ aka ‘DiagTrack’) appeared to have been removed. Critics celebrated and it was another well deserved pat on the back for Microsoft.

Except it turns out Microsoft had just been very sneaky. What Tweakhound discovered and was subsequently confirmed by BetaNews, is Microsoft simply renamed DiagTrack. It is now called the ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service’ – which is both a) deliberately vague, and b) misleading (don’t ‘Connected User Experiences’ sound great).

Even sneakier is, in being renamed, Microsoft also reset users preferences. Those who dug deep into the Windows 10 registry to disable DiagTrack will find it has been re-enabled now it is called the Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service. Yes, tracking is back and without any warning and your preferences were irrelevant.

The good news is you can disable the Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service the same way as DiagTrack:

Hold down the Windows key and tap the R key
    In the box that opens type ‘services.msc’ and press the Enter key
    In the ‘Services (Local)’ section locate ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry’ and double-click it
    In the ‘Service status’ section click ‘Stop’
    Under the ‘Startup type’ drop down menu select ‘Disabled’ and then confirm this and close the window by clicking ‘OK’

Note: it is advisable to disable Not delete the service. Deleting it can cause problems

So what is Microsoft thinking here? I’ve reached out to the company but, despite recognising my enquiry, it has yet to issue a statement. I’ll update this post when it does.

While Microsoft thinks about what to say, I’d say the problem with the DiagTrack rebrand is the company wasn’t thinking. Subtle under the hood changes will always be picked up for such a high profile product. That said such a move is consistent with the negatives in Threshold 2 namely: it resets many user preferences (including basics like your preferred web browser) if they weren’t Microsoft product/services as well as silently deleting third party system monitoring apps like: CPU-Z, speccy, 8gadgetpack, SpyBot, HWMonitor and more.

In my opinion it is this kind of overriding desire for control and a disregard for user choices which is harming Windows 10. At its core Windows 10 is a modern and highly capable platform, but it has been buried under ludicrous layers of control. Worst still it has created a two tier customer base where consumers are forced to take updates which businesses can delay, effectively turning everyday users into bug testers for corporations.

It all feels unsavoury and unnecessary and (while it could be coincidence) there has been a dramatic slowdown in Windows 10 growth after an explosive beginning. For the first ever Free version of Windows, that’s not great.

How can Microsoft reignite the love for Windows 10? I’d say a good start would be to stop doing daft things like this…

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Huh? The XBone controller works fine on older Windows versions (though it doesn't plug and play like the 360 does).

The wireless dongle for it is Win10 exclusive. Wired you can use it on 7/8.x.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    A whole lot of update action going on with Dungeon of the Endless lately. For free there's a new hero, a new pod, a new ending, three new monsters, two new minor modules and eight new items along with all the usual update tweak

Add into this a new DLC with three more new heroes, a new major modules, four new items and four new monsters and you've got yourself a shitload of new content, hot dang.

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/content.php?611-DotE-Organic-Matters-Rescue-Team-Release-Notes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Pinnacle was it, I'll have to find that profile again, it's there somewhere making it idiot-proof. Kalnaur, Corriganx, you two are princes among peons.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Re: the Windows 10 discussion. @Houn , you're gonna love this.

Microsoft Makes Windows 10 Automatic Spying Worse

Spoiler'd for not cluttering up the thread too much; bolded a couple of bits I felt were worth highlighting. Some of you may have already run into these things, but if so I'm surprised there's been no mention of it.

tld;dr - the worst part for me is regarding Threshold 2; that it silently deletes some utilities you may have installed, including but not limited to Speccy and SpyBot. But privacy stuff has also been renamed, and user preferences reset. Yup, you get to turn them off all over again. Also it resets basics like your preferred web browser.
    Microsoft MSFT +0.00% has been on a roll lately. Its massive Windows 10 update ‘Threshold 2’ has far more good features than bad ones, the ‘free upgrade’ rules have been improved and even Microsoft’s Black Friday 2015 deals are surprisingly great. But a new discovery has been made which isn’t good news – at all…

Earlier this month Microsoft finally went on record admitting that automatic spying within Windows 10 cannot be stopped. This sparked a lot of outrage and with ‘Threshold 2’ it appeared Microsoft had done a sharp U-turn because the background service at the heart tracking (the ‘Diagnostics Tracking Service’ aka ‘DiagTrack’) appeared to have been removed. Critics celebrated and it was another well deserved pat on the back for Microsoft.

Except it turns out Microsoft had just been very sneaky. What Tweakhound discovered and was subsequently confirmed by BetaNews, is Microsoft simply renamed DiagTrack. It is now called the ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service’ – which is both a) deliberately vague, and b) misleading (don’t ‘Connected User Experiences’ sound great).

Even sneakier is, in being renamed, Microsoft also reset users preferences. Those who dug deep into the Windows 10 registry to disable DiagTrack will find it has been re-enabled now it is called the Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service. Yes, tracking is back and without any warning and your preferences were irrelevant.

The good news is you can disable the Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service the same way as DiagTrack:

Hold down the Windows key and tap the R key
    In the box that opens type ‘services.msc’ and press the Enter key
    In the ‘Services (Local)’ section locate ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry’ and double-click it
    In the ‘Service status’ section click ‘Stop’
    Under the ‘Startup type’ drop down menu select ‘Disabled’ and then confirm this and close the window by clicking ‘OK’

Note: it is advisable to disable Not delete the service. Deleting it can cause problems

So what is Microsoft thinking here? I’ve reached out to the company but, despite recognising my enquiry, it has yet to issue a statement. I’ll update this post when it does.

While Microsoft thinks about what to say, I’d say the problem with the DiagTrack rebrand is the company wasn’t thinking. Subtle under the hood changes will always be picked up for such a high profile product. That said such a move is consistent with the negatives in Threshold 2 namely: it resets many user preferences (including basics like your preferred web browser) if they weren’t Microsoft product/services as well as silently deleting third party system monitoring apps like: CPU-Z, speccy, 8gadgetpack, SpyBot, HWMonitor and more.

In my opinion it is this kind of overriding desire for control and a disregard for user choices which is harming Windows 10. At its core Windows 10 is a modern and highly capable platform, but it has been buried under ludicrous layers of control. Worst still it has created a two tier customer base where consumers are forced to take updates which businesses can delay, effectively turning everyday users into bug testers for corporations.

It all feels unsavoury and unnecessary and (while it could be coincidence) there has been a dramatic slowdown in Windows 10 growth after an explosive beginning. For the first ever Free version of Windows, that’s not great.

How can Microsoft reignite the love for Windows 10? I’d say a good start would be to stop doing daft things like this…

I look forward to providing this thread a Linux-centric opinion of the Steam Catalog in the near future!

Seriously. I just bought a NAS device and some drives that should arrive Friday-ish, then it's a matter of backing up media/files and finishing Dark Souls, then I'm free to wipe and install Linux.

• Options
    "LoK was such a pain in the ass to get running with a controller and I've no goddamn interest in doing it again ever"

(I said when I picked the games up with many other games I was able to play)

It came full circle, Kain refused the sacrifice, Raziel is my controller. Fitting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I need to replay the Legacy of Kain series someday.

Would like a Blood Omen remake.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm sticking with Win7 for the moment, but plan on moving to Linux full-time before the year is up. I'll gladly embrace the problems of compatibility and emulation (and probably enjoy the hell out of tweaking Wine to run my Windows games) in exchange for complete control over my PC again, when the alternative is to allow my control to slowly slip away.

I've been thinking about eventually transitioning from Windows 10 exclusively to Windows for gaming, and Linux for everything else.

If I fall behind on disabling new tracking features in Windows 10 or if parts of it prove to be truly unremovable than some bored advertising intern at Microsoft will get to see that user 98699705435861003 sure spends a lot of time playing games on Steam and that's about it.

This Codemasters Humble Bundle is pretty damned awesome if you like rally games, or driving games in general. I do love that they threw in the recent Steam release of Colin McRae Rally, which is actually a PC port of an iPhone game that is actually an iPhone port of Colin McRae Rally 2 for the PS1.

Yes, a PC port of an iPhone port of a PS1 game. What a world we live in.
    So what you're saying is, a bunch of geeks thought it would be a good idea to let a pretty but insane lady into every facet of normal people's lives?

In the real world, letting a pretty but insane lady into every facet of your life is called "dating".

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

i had never considered that angle. maybe i'll try adding that to my approach. so far it's been "it's a game that's fantastical in a mundane way, and the atmosphere is great, and it just makes you FEEL things." which with that i guess i can't blame them for going "umm... okay... maybe later." i've even tried giving it to friends for free and they just never get around to redeeming their gift. I JUST NEED EVERYONE TO EXPERIENCE THIS.

The current year long wait was a bit much, but after every episode I needed time to unpack the experience.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Enough NOT steam talk, what is a good brothel simulator on steam.

Besides the huniepop sequel and it's cam girl simulator.

Like, an actual brothel simulator? They exist, but not on Steam.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Interesting article from Red Thread about updating Dreamfall Chapters to Unity 5

Apparently cost them quite a decent chunk of change and time. Was probably needed though, if not for the general PC performance issues, but because they plan to release on PS4 and there was no way it was going to make it to consoles in its' old state.

This discussion has been closed.