As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Just Another Manic [Job] Thread

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    "You have a great smile."

":D Thanks."

"...So you should smile more often, it's good for you."

"Yes, that's true."

"...And you don't happen to offer back massages here, do you?"

"Ahaha... no, we do not THIS IS A LEGAL CLINIC F OFF NOW OKAY"*

*this is not what I said but I thought it very hard, good grief

Note for anyone who is considering asking this somewhere that doesn't advertise itself as a massage parlor: Don't.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Soooooo, a lady from our team reported the creepy guy's calendar and it was gone from his desk this morning.

This means every woman on this team has reported him about something. And he's still here. It'd make some sort of sense if he was at least competent at his job, but it's common opinion that he is not, and that's why he got dumped on our team in the first place.

I also learned I certainly didn't get one of the jobs I applied to, because someone else from the company landed it and is out of here in 2 weeks. Not upset but more... amused? Management are so separate from their employees that they can't see this place is about to have a pretty significant exodus of young talent.

Or it would if I could just have some jobs I am qualified for open up already geez

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Woke up. Still got this thing in my eye. Going to try and schedule a normal doctor visit today for them to do whatever tests they can do to find out the cause. Really wish they'd laser this thing because being aware of it all the time is not helping my zen.

Are you sure you haven't learned to pierce the veil and are now capable of seeing ghosts before they manifest?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    "You have a great smile."

":D Thanks."

"...So you should smile more often, it's good for you."

"Yes, that's true."

"...And you don't happen to offer back massages here, do you?"

"Ahaha... no, we do not THIS IS A LEGAL CLINIC F OFF NOW OKAY"*

*this is not what I said but I thought it very hard, good grief

Note for anyone who is considering asking this somewhere that doesn't advertise itself as a massage parlor: Don't.

Yeah, and as an asian woman I had to wonder if he was about to start into the really egregious massage questions. :| He didn't, and despite my trying to conclude that line of conversation, he proceeded to ask my female coworker the same thing.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Soooooo, a lady from our team reported the creepy guy's calendar and it was gone from his desk this morning.

This means every woman on this team has reported him about something. And he's still here. It'd make some sort of sense if he was at least competent at his job, but it's common opinion that he is not, and that's why he got dumped on our team in the first place.

I also learned I certainly didn't get one of the jobs I applied to, because someone else from the company landed it and is out of here in 2 weeks. Not upset but more... amused? Management are so separate from their employees that they can't see this place is about to have a pretty significant exodus of young talent.

Or it would if I could just have some jobs I am qualified for open up already geez

:( at not getting that job Cello

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Solar wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »

:( at not getting that job Cello

It's okay, it wasn't the one I'm really hoping for. But it would have been a good job at a company where a close friend is *also* starting in a week and several other uni friends are currently at, so...

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Jobs thread assemble! Got an urgent issue

Situation:
    1. Redundancy took out my whole department in the middle of this year, I managed to get a role doing something quite different in another department.
    2. Since I was doing something quite different (not least basically being a full time java developer, being one of only two people understanding a product that brings in a lot of money) involving some more expensive skills than my quite basic pay from the old role, I asked for a new job description.
    3. Three months later I've finally got a draft one through and its basically a joke. Major worries
      -- The only technical lines are "Develop skills in the field of Java, Fortran, Visual Basic", "Undertake Statistical analysis as part of project delivery"
      -- Apparently the only requirements are 2 years experience and an undergraduate degree in a related subject and its written like a job description for a recent graduate.
    4. I have till tomorrow morning to provide comment on it (got it at 5pm today).

Possibilities
    1. The managers have never written a job description for someone doing a maths-y technical role before
    2. They're trying to preemptively cap any sort of discussion on pay changes for the next few years

Questions
    1. Am I overreacting
    2. If not: what do?

What's dweedle-dum's job description? Specifically, ask your boss "I know my current role closely matches (coworker). Does this job description match theirs?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

What's dweedle-dum's job description? Specifically, ask your boss "I know my current role closely matches (coworker). Does this job description match theirs?

A good shout but they're the master and I'm the apprentice for this product line, their situation is a bit too unique to offer insight.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Woke up. Still got this thing in my eye. Going to try and schedule a normal doctor visit today for them to do whatever tests they can do to find out the cause. Really wish they'd laser this thing because being aware of it all the time is not helping my zen.

Are you sure you haven't learned to pierce the veil and are now capable of seeing ghosts before they manifest?

If I did it is just the same ghost all the time and it is being a dick.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Given they've only given you overnight to look at this, I'd avoid getting into a dialogue without shooting back some changes. If possible, I'd rewrite it completely based on your experience, your skills and what you perceive the expertise required to be. Then it's up to them to come back with a revision.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I left and went home early to relax before my doctor appointment. I was doing no good at school. The librarian from the next high school over stopped in to run the Book Club author Skype call as I did not feel capably of dealing with it. Got it all set up for her she just needed to hang out for an hour to make sure the kiddos behave. Best turn out yet for one of those.

Just ate food for the first time since lunch yesterday as my appetite returned on the drive home.

Worst part about this is that I momentarily forget and then glance it out of the corner of my eye and my mind thinks it is a huge ass spider or a mouse and I freak for a second.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    So I left and went home early to relax before my doctor appointment. I was doing no good at school. The librarian from the next high school over stopped in to run the Book Club author Skype call as I did not feel capably of dealing with it. Got it all set up for her she just needed to hang out for an hour to make sure the kiddos behave. Best turn out yet for one of those.

Just ate food for the first time since lunch yesterday as my appetite returned on the drive home.

Worst part about this is that I momentarily forget and then glance it out of the corner of my eye and my mind thinks it is a huge ass spider or a mouse and I freak for a second.

So... what you're saying is it IS a ghost being a dick.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I fly back to the UK in a week.

I have very mixed feelings about this!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Is it a permanent move or temporary?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ugh, can the two old ladies over in the corner quit viewing the transgender inmates with such contempt when they ask for something like a privacy screen in their showers? Please?

• Options
    I am at the Doctor's office. It is a super new multi-floor building with an atrium and fancy screens listing doctor offices and such. Everyone else in this waiting room is like 70+ years old.

Also the doctor shares the same name as the King of Hell in Supernatural.

If I don't see any of you guys again, I love you all!

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    A client I have to call, her answering machine tells me "Don't be afraid to ask for what you want, every no gets you one step closer to a yes"

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I am at the Doctor's office. It is a super new multi-floor building with an atrium and fancy screens listing doctor offices and such. Everyone else in this waiting room is like 70+ years old.

Did you bring your proton pack?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    A client I have to call, her answering machine tells me "Don't be afraid to ask for what you want, every no gets you one step closer to a yes"

I prefer "every no gets you one step closer to a restraining order", but potato, potato.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

My telemarketing experience tells me that every no gets you one step closer to a fuck off

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'm really fed up with my job. I'm continuously praised by upper management, I run one of the top ten stores (out of 200+) in the country, I've been consistently promoting and developing management candidates out of my store and into other positions, but they are completely blocking me out for advancement or raises.

Which I mean, if they like me where I am that's fine, but if you're going to continuously praise me and in the same breath tell me that they want to see how I handle failure before they consider promoting me, at least give me a raise to keep me happy.

It's going to take a pretty damn dramatic shift for me to not be looking for a news job in the new year.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Is your client an inspirational quotes instagram account?

• Options

Did you bring your proton pack?

It is still broken from Halloween

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Is your client an inspirational quotes instagram account?

Maybe she should start one.

I think she just likes pithy sayings. Mostly she is just difficult though. Things have to happen a certain way in real estate for a property to close, and she is just combative. Nice, but combative.

I prefer "every no gets you one step closer to a restraining order", but potato, potato.

Hah, I thought this too, but I get what she is saying in a certain context.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Hah, I thought this too, but I get what she is saying in a certain context.

It sounds like a motivational quote from a sales conference. But I'd personally like to have a restraining order from all salesmen and think sales in general is horrid, so it doesn't really change my impression of it.

No offense intended to actual salesmen. As long as you're not actually trying to sell me something, we're cool.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I'm really fed up with my job. I'm continuously praised by upper management, I run one of the top ten stores (out of 200+) in the country, I've been consistently promoting and developing management candidates out of my store and into other positions, but they are completely blocking me out for advancement or raises.

Which I mean, if they like me where I am that's fine, but if you're going to continuously praise me and in the same breath tell me that they want to see how I handle failure before they consider promoting me, at least give me a raise to keep me happy.

It's going to take a pretty damn dramatic shift for me to not be looking for a news job in the new year.

"Well, when faced with failure, such as failure to receive a promotion I am clearly deserving of, I tend to...look for new opportunities to succeed..."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

Just have a good sense of humor and prove yourself witty and useful. You'll be fine.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Done with the doctor. It was the least annoying or painful visit to a doctor ever. The place was super nice and everyone was very professional. The doctor said that they might not actually ever know what caused it and it most likely will simply go away but they went through and ran the various tests the eye doctor ordered. Nothing struck him in my family history. My blood pressure was fine. They did an EKG and it was normal. They did an ultrasound on my throat just because he said my thyroid felt a little misshapen. I do not have those results but the ultrasound lady seemed upbeat the whole time. Also they drew 12 vials of blood.

I survived the blood and needles even when looking at it happen the whole time so bonus there!

Should get the results in a day or so and then I go back to the eye doctor in two weeks.

Guess I just have to live with seeing into the spectral plain for a while until is dissipates.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    after yet another crushing defeat I think students might be getting upset with playing video games against me

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Boss: Did you put the key back for the exterior locks?
    Me: yes, I mean, I think I did, yes I did, because I had reach around everyone.
    B:What?!?
    Me:Fuck

Cue reach around jokes all day, highlight being boss and other guy standing against wall, facing wall, hands up, as I return with the key. I tossed said key at them and walked back through teh front of the building.

• Options
    Mandatory overtime for bargaining unit 12 at work today, tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday to get Education up to ACA standards because goddamn teachers. Announced today.

I'm BU 4 so I dodged the bullet but just wow that's an ass move to snatch people's Thanksgiving weekend at such short notice.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Dangers of a lecturer with a thick Scottish accent:

"Next week your lecture will be on walls."

"Wolves??"
    "Wools??"
    "Awards??"

Walls.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    "let me tell you about my fanfic that I wrote about how rukia and ichio get married and have a son who is half hollow"

life is pain

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    "let me tell you about my fanfic that I wrote about how rukia and ichio get married and have a son who is half hollow"

life is pain

Where's that sample of Gabe's artbook about his half angel, half demon character filled with angst.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    oh no

the only thing more dangerous than dating a co-worker, it turns out, is dating your boss's best friend

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Got home to a nice letter from OPM saying my SSN and "other personal information" was compromised in that cyber intrusion that happened to the government a few months back. Hooray!

They were nice enough to provide free access to a credit and identity monitoring service. This includes free access to my credit report! Let's if anything comes out of it.

I got my letter not long ago. And I like how they seem to think the risk of identity theft is the problem here.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »

life is pain

Ngghh. I hate myself for knowing that's actually plausible. Goddamn you Kubo.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I thought it was weird that the OPM letter specifically mentioned fingerprint data being stolen. Not sure about how that can be exploited at the moment, aside from it meaning I'd make a bad spy (I'd make a bad spy anyway).

Got a call back from a recruiter that I spoke to a month ago. I guess I might be getting an interview soon for that job I applied for, which has me pretty stoked since I really need to get away from this job. For how long this process has taken already, probably not going to be able to start working there til after New Years.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Done with the doctor. It was the least annoying or painful visit to a doctor ever. The place was super nice and everyone was very professional. The doctor said that they might not actually ever know what caused it and it most likely will simply go away but they went through and ran the various tests the eye doctor ordered. Nothing struck him in my family history. My blood pressure was fine. They did an EKG and it was normal. They did an ultrasound on my throat just because he said my thyroid felt a little misshapen. I do not have those results but the ultrasound lady seemed upbeat the whole time. Also they drew 12 vials of blood.

I survived the blood and needles even when looking at it happen the whole time so bonus there!

Should get the results in a day or so and then I go back to the eye doctor in two weeks.

Guess I just have to live with seeing into the spectral plain for a while until is dissipates.

I think you went to a vampire doctors office, 12 vials is insane.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    customer name of the day:

Storm Monk

This discussion has been closed.