As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tech Crazy: Can I run a PS4 through a desktop video card?

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
So this is the idea: Since my PS4 uses HDMI connections and my computer's monitor doesn't have HDMI, I thought about connecting the PS4 to the HDMI port on the video card and seeing if I could somehow turn my computer to a TV for it. Is it possible to do that or is that port a Out only port? My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 210.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Most graphics cards are out only. Typically you have to buy specific "capture cards" to get video input as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You have to be careful with that too, HDCP might prevent you from doing it. But as far as I know, a lot of youtube gamers do something like this without issue.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Does the PS4 do PC streaming? I know the xbone can just stream to a pc on the same network. You guys have vita streaming, can that not be done to a pc?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Those capture cards take data from the Tv and bring it to my computer, yes? But if I'm wanting to play off my monitor instead, it wouldn't work, right?

• Options
    If your monitor has an HDMI port you could just plug it right into the monitor.

But those capture cards basically take HDMI/RCA and record/play it on an application on your PC. So you'd take it from the PS4, plug it into the capture card, install/run the software, and play it on your monitor. TV isn't part of the equation, the capture card is the 'tv' for all intents and purposes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Just be careful with the capture card you use. Some capture cards introduce a lot of latency (I currently have one at work which introduces something like 2 seconds of latency) into the picture, which make it ONLY useful for video capture and not for real-time playing. I'm pretty sure there are cards that don't do this, but YMMV. There are HDMI to DVI converters out there, as well as dual monitor switches, which may work better.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Ok. I was looking around and a new monitor is about the same price as a capture card. I might get one as I know my brother has been wanting to do YouTube game stuff and it would work for him too. Any recommendations?

• Options
  • Options
    My monitor has one VGA port.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Your monitor must be very old. Are you sure you don't want to upgrade that?

• Options
    With the card I linked, you install it as an expansion card on your motherboard, nothing would change other than you'd plug a PS4 into the port on the card, and installing the software to use the card.

• Options
    I opened my computer and I don't have any place in to put it. I just have one slot for video cards. My computer is a Frankenstein project of random parts that somehow work together so I guess I'll just buy a new monitor.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    My monitor has one VGA port.

so HDMI is a jerk format and while people like to say it can convert easily to DVI or VGA, in my experience that isn't the case

I would try the converter blazefire linked, it's cheap enough that if it doesn't work, oh well

and it at least requires a power input so that gives me a bit of hope!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    What kind of problems have you had with HDMI->DVI? Those are both digital so it should be fine, I would think?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    What kind of problems have you had with HDMI->DVI? Those are both digital so it should be fine, I would think?

You would think, right?

And yet it just always seems to refuse to work for me.

Years of hooking up panelist laptops to projectors has left me a bitter and jaded man.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm wondering if you aren't remembering the good times then. I mean, shoot, just a couple weeks ago I bought a $10 HDMI->DVI adapter and it worked perfectly.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you aren't remembering the good times then. I mean, shoot, just a couple weeks ago I bought a $10 HDMI->DVI adapter and it worked perfectly.

Would he have sound though? If his monitor doesn't have built in speakers, he's gonna be playing on mute though.

• Options
    Good call. I didn't think about the audio.