As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Format was is Over!? $100 HD-DVD player from Toshiba and HD-DVD's for 15 bucks.

jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jlrx on

• SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The basic problem as I see it is that anyone who can afford an HDTV can also afford a high end player.

Saddler on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Saddler wrote: »
    The basic problem as I see it is that anyone who can afford an HDTV can also afford a high end player.

uh, no. I have an HDTV, but I can't afford a $800 player or anything.

Even this $200 HD-DVD player seems pricey to me.

TheSonicRetard on
  • jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you are mistaken.

Alot of people will go for an HDTV which

1) they are going to need come feb 2009
    2) they can watch HDTV off the bat through broadcast or cable
    3) its bigger and looks nice, everyone likes upgrading their TV, most anyway

So as you can see with those scientific unrefutable facts, people will spend above themselves as MANY people do to get an HDTV for 600 or so dollars, and NOT want to then spend a similar amount on some HD player.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007

uh, no. I have an HDTV, but I can't afford a $800 player or anything.

Even this $200 HD-DVD player seems pricey to me.

yes it does, but I remember not long ago, regular dvd players sitting at 200 dollars.

infact it was last year that regular dvd recorders were hovering close to that price,

it is a sign the bottom is about to drop out of the price, and good ol wally world might be the catalyst again.

Did you hear that walmart is threatening law suits if anyone reveals their black friday sales flyers before black friday? there could be some big things in store and as they broke the HDTV price barrier, they will do the same to hi-def players.

The other funny thing about the HDTV price barrier was how last year manufactuers were going on and on how the price was going to remain at the present level for a while longer , and then it just dropped.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jlrx wrote: »
    you are mistaken.

So as you can see with those scientific unrefutable facts, people will spend above themselves as MANY people do to get an HDTV for 600 or so dollars, and NOT want to then spend a similar amount on some HD player.

You do NOT need a HDTV by feb 2009. You need a DTV, which includes normal 480i tvs with a digital tuner. You could also just buy a standalone tuner box, there is supposed to, eventually, even be a voucher program to subsidize the cost of it. Which is silly, but whatever.

I personally think $600 for a tv is ludicrous, but that's just me.

The only time I've ever bought a TV it was $170, and I way overpaid for it, in hindsight. My current TV was found on the side of the road with a sign that said "Free. It works!".

It does.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited October 2007
    those days are long gone and will not return for some time. by the time you found a tv on the side of a road, TV's were nothing new. HDTV's are new, flat panels are new, people will pay for new, and eventually someone will get one off the side of the road, but not anytime soon.

Also, when I mentioned feb 09, I did intend to put that people could use a converter (everyone will get 2 $40 dollar vouchers. YAY!!!) or a cable box, but I'll put money on HDTV's being the purchase above all else.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    those days are long gone and will not return for some time. by the time you found a tv on the side of a road, TV's were nothing new. HDTV's are new, flat panels are new, people will pay for new, and eventually someone will get one off the side of the road, but not anytime soon.

Also, when I mentioned feb 09, I did intend to put that people could use a converter (everyone will get 2 $40 dollar vouchers. YAY!!!) or a cable box, but I'll put money on HDTV's being the purchase above all else.

People do live outside their means. I think they would use the Feb 09 thing as an excuse for something they already want. Right now, I don't think the vast majority of people really are concerned with HD-DVD or the competition.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You could also just buy a standalone tuner box, there is supposed to, eventually, even be a voucher program to subsidize the cost of it.

Hahaha, wow, that is hilarious. Man, the FCC is so fucked up.

Recoil42 on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I bet half the people getting HDTV's are financing them... Not just buying out of pocket.

Like me! So I don't have the money to outright buy an HDTV, but I do have the money to drop on a monthly payment (with no finance charges)... why the hell not, pay for it over time while enjoying it now.

So I have an HDTV, but theres no way that I can just afford a high end player (unless I finance that too)

Also not all HDTV's are $3k... some people get 'cheap' HDTV's under 1k... so.. yea.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I bet half the people getting HDTV's are financing them... Not just buying out of pocket.

Like me! So I don't have the money to outright buy an HDTV, but I do have the money to drop on a monthly payment (with no finance charges)... why the hell not, pay for it over time while enjoying it now.

So I have an HDTV, but theres no way that I can just afford a high end player (unless I finance that too)

Also not all HDTV's are $3k... some people get 'cheap' HDTV's under 1k... so.. yea.

Indeed, I just got a 50" 720P Samsung Plasma for $1750. Best purchase ever. Screw financing though, all out of pocket.

Namrok on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I paid like 600 for mine a year ago... looks as good as my uncles, which is some 50" samsung monstrosity that cost him around 4k at the same time. Mines about half the size, but still, im happy with it.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Namrok wrote: »

Indeed, I just got a 50" 720P Samsung Plasma for $1750. Best purchase ever. Screw financing though, all out of pocket.

I put more than $1750 out of pocket, but just a bit of it on finance... what better way to build credit eh?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you are mistaken.

You're forgetting one critical reason why a lot of people buy an HDTV...

It's flat and they can hang it on the wall.

You'd be shocked at the amount of the HD market that isn't watching HD content, isn't playing games, but just thought having a slimmer TV that hangs on the wall would help save space.

If HDTV's were still bulk CRT sets (which honestly still beat a lot of the newer models for color quality and other issues) it wouldn't have gone off like wild fire.

This is a good move for HD-DVD since the format which wins is the first one to offer a cheap player that requires minimal work to get going.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not all HD's are Plasma or LCDs. Yea, all HD's are flat screen, but thats talking about the glass, not the thickness of the set.
    Zeon wrote: »

I paid like 600 for mine a year ago... looks as good as my uncles, which is some 50" samsung monstrosity that cost him around 4k at the same time. Mines about half the size, but still, im happy with it.

I'd say being twice the size and looking just as good to you is a pretty good sign.
    Also, now realise this, you might not be able to tell the difference but some people might.
    This is totally straying from the topic, but damn it if people don't have some crazy ideas about HDTV.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    You could also just buy a standalone tuner box, there is supposed to, eventually, even be a voucher program to subsidize the cost of it.

Hahaha, wow, that is hilarious. Man, the FCC is so fucked up.

It's only for 20$ or 40$ per household and how else do you propose simultanenously making millions of TVs stop receiving broadcasts?

I don't see what's hilarious about familes that can't afford the latest and greatest getting a bit of help.

FyreWulff on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    *yokel*I just bought mah teevee 'cause'n it was as deep as the end of mah cigarette. It's 47 inches wide, so'in my cousin can use it like'n it were a' ironing board.*/yokel*

I bought my HDTV because it was at a relatively cheap price $2.3k for the features it had and because I had a chunk of change burning through my pocket. Yay being in an arrangement where I have no student loans and my income allows me to spend much of my monies frivolously!!

despite that, I have no need at the moment for an HD player, I'll be fine with my upscaling DVD player until HD media is really ready for mainstream (in the range of $100 to $200 for decent models)

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I bought my HDTV because it was at a relatively cheap price $2.3k for the features it had and because I had a chunk of change burning through my pocket. Yay being in an arrangement where I have no student loans and my income allows me to spend much of my monies frivolously!!

Very similar situation here. It does indeed rock. I just wish I had the time to play all the games I can not afford.

Up through college, plenty of time, no money, no games.

Now, tons of money and games, no time.

Le sigh.

Namrok on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I got my HDTV for all of $225, so yeah I think this is a little out of my range.

Maybe once the drive by itself goes for like $50 I'll toss one into my HTPC.

Daedalus on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is a damn good deal. This is what my parents are looking for... Hmm.... Good Christmas gift for them.

urahonky on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Namrok wrote: »

Very similar situation here. It does indeed rock. I just wish I had the time to play all the games I can not afford.

Up through college, plenty of time, no money, no games.

Now, tons of money and games, no time.

Le sigh.

Oh yeah? I got an inheritance of $5,000! Which I bought my TV immediately afterwards...
    Though I wish I kept some of the cash, as I'm dirt poor now... :(

urahonky on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    While this is a good deal if your looking for a cheap HD-DVD player you may want to read the specs before you buy as it doesn't output 1080p which may or may not matter to you.

khain on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    khain wrote: »
    While this is a good deal if your looking for a cheap HD-DVD player you may want to read the specs before you buy as it doesn't output 1080p which may or may not matter to you.

How is that possible? I thought the specs for HD-DVD required it to be able to display at 1080p.

Anyways, i already got a HD-DVD player for under $200 with 7 free movies and Heroes Season 1 for free. And I don't have a HDTV.

Veevee on
    edited October 2007
    you are mistaken.

You're forgetting one critical reason why a lot of people buy an HDTV...

It's flat and they can hang it on the wall.

You'd be shocked at the amount of the HD market that isn't watching HD content, isn't playing games, but just thought having a slimmer TV that hangs on the wall would help save space.

If HDTV's were still bulk CRT sets (which honestly still beat a lot of the newer models for color quality and other issues) it wouldn't have gone off like wild fire.

This is a good move for HD-DVD since the format which wins is the first one to offer a cheap player that requires minimal work to get going.

lol, your missing my post after where I mention them being flat, so haha.

but overall, yes a good reason indeed.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

How is that possible? I thought the specs for HD-DVD required it to be able to display at 1080p.

Anyways, i already got a HD-DVD player for under $200 with 7 free movies and Heroes Season 1 for free. And I don't have a HDTV.

HD-DVD's are all 1080p, not all players are nor all HDTV's , they can push a cheaper HD-DVD player in the HD-A2 while there is the HD-A20 which does 1080p just fine though it costs more, its about the mainstream price.

Another big thing to note, its walmart pushed the price below 200 at $198.88 or something like that and circuit city went to $197 in response.

I can see the next attack in this price war going below that point and likely on black friday.

I just saw an ad for a walmart HDTV , RCA 26" for $327 dollars - That is going to kill, though it may not have the features of the more expensive versions, it will kill in mass market terms.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Uh.. yeah... not me. I just bought an HDTV for 580 bucks and I really don't have the money for a 500 some-odd dollar HD disc player.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    $130 for my monitor, which is also my HDTV minus the TV part.
    and $193 HD-DVD player + 8 movies + Heroes season 1. Maybe my hate for best buy is unfounded as I do get some great deals from them.

Sanders on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

HD-DVD's are all 1080p, not all players are nor all HDTV's , they can push a cheaper HD-DVD player in the HD-A2 while there is the HD-A20 which does 1080p just fine though it costs more, its about the mainstream price.

I knew the resolution limits of TVs, but I was under the assumption that the tech specs required all HD-DVD players and discs to be able to output at 1080p. Thank you for pointing out the fact that I was wrong.

Looks like this cheap player outputs at 1080i and 720p.

Veevee on
    edited October 2007

I knew the resolution limits of TVs, but I was under the assumption that the tech specs required all HD-DVD players and discs to be able to output at 1080p. Thank you for pointing out the fact that I was wrong.

I think its really all about market penetration in this sense, they have to move the units, which will in turn move more hd-dvd's , you go to walmart, get a cheaper hd-tv player (lets say the rca 26" for $327 dollars) , now you have an HDTV at 26" size, which used to be "big" among most folks in the old SDTV days , so you spent $327 bucks, now you can spend $198 bucks, which also gives you the 5 free HD-DVD movies and at best-buy you also get season 1 of heroes included (though they havent gone below $200 yet I dont think)
    and you have yourself the core of a new entertainment center for $527 dollars, and movies to boot.

That is going to sell like hot-cakes- and lets not forget this is the BEGINNING of the holiday season, the prices will go lower from that point.

>>> also forgot to mention , those $327 HDTV's at walmart output at 720p / 1080i - as do most of the cheaper HDTV's (720p / 1080i) that is, so its the perfect device for those kind of consumers.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

For movies it's all the same though. Assuming your TV handles 3:2 pulldown properly (some cheap ones don't, I suppose) 1080i and 1080p are the same for movies, since movies are only filmed at 24 frames per second. For a 60fps game, that's a whole other story, but for movies it theoretically doesn't make a difference.

Daedalus on
    edited October 2007
    the whole point is that there is now a sub $200 dollar HD-DVD player (standalone player, close in price to the 360 add-on) and it is NOT yet black friday, which means we SHOULD expect to see it drop again sometime within the next few months and for it to be a "hot" commodity this holiday.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So with these down to under $200 and the PS3 down to $399, I sure wish i would have waited 3 months. But I love my $400 HD-A20 anyway, and knew it would drop in time. Either way some format needs to win so I can stop netflixing crap and just buy them like I used to.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Honestly, I hope these things really do become massive hot-ticket items for the season.

One really good Christmas might be enough to give a little more solidity and direction to the ridiculous ass format wars.

Original Rufus on
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is an excellent deal for those with 720p and 1080i systems.

Perfect, because I wanted to surprise my aunt with a 1080i hdtv and either an HD or BR player. Scales have definitely been tipped towards HD.

Also, I noticed that someone on the previous page bought a 50'' screen at 720p. I thought I'd share this website with everyone:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Daemonion on
    edited October 2007
    the HD-A20 is not the HD-A2 , I believe you get 1080p output on the A20 , so it is still better then the A2 in that respect

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    Daemonion wrote: »
    This is an excellent deal for those with 720p and 1080i systems.

Perfect, because I wanted to surprise my aunt with a 1080i hdtv and either an HD or BR player. Scales have definitely been tipped towards HD.

Also, I noticed that someone on the previous page bought a 50'' screen at 720p. I thought I'd share this website with everyone:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

give this the bump of a lifetime because its just so important to the world, dont you agree? HDTV and Movies, cheaper then ever, live like a king on the income of a 16 year old, woo!

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

My HDTV cost $400. I'm not exactly barfing extra money here.

I may pick this up so that I can have a DVD player in the living room and the bedroom without relying on the PS2. Also my HDTV only supports up to 1080i so it sounds good to me.

I just have to make sure that it'll output HD over component and not be restricted to HDCP.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited October 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

I may pick this up so that I can have a DVD player in the living room and the bedroom without relying on the PS2. Also my HDTV only supports up to 1080i so it sounds good to me.

I just have to make sure that it'll output HD over component and not be restricted to HDCP.

HD is capable of being output over component just the same as HDMI , even to the point of outputting 720p/1080i/1080p the only advantage HDMI gives you is "one wire" to rule them all, instead of 5 plugs you get one.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The bigger question is whether this psychological price drop will cause the mass market to actually give a shit about next-gen DVDs.

I can't find the link, but a recent consumer electronics survey indicated that only 29 percent of people even knew what HD-DVD is. (Only 20 percent knew what the hell Blu-ray is.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

HD is capable of being output over component just the same as HDMI , even to the point of outputting 720p/1080i/1080p the only advantage HDMI gives you is "one wire" to rule them all, instead of 5 plugs you get one.

I know that the cable is capable of carrying the signal, but it can't carry HDCP information (HDCP = High Definition Content Protection) and as such is seen as an "analog hole" by the movie industry. In order to plug the analog hole they can refuse to output HD content over component video. For example, I already know that this player will disable 1080i and 720p output over component when displaying a standard DVD forcing you to watch them in 480p, but has no problem up-converting to 1080i when you're using HDMI.

I don't mind dropping to 480p for a regular DVD ... but if it won't output an HDDVD in 1080i over component then it's completely worthless to me.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't mind dropping to 480p for a regular DVD ... but if it won't output an HDDVD in 1080i over component then it's completely worthless to me.
    IT will.

All HD-DVDs and Blu Rays on the market output up to 720p/1080i over component. The ICT, the thing which forces 480p unless you have HDCP compatible connections, will not go live until at least 2011-2012.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.