As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TRENCHES] Thursday, November 26, 2015 - Talking Turkey

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Talking Turkey

Talking Turkey
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/talking-turkey

They can’t give an award out to everyone.

Anonymous

Working as a web designer and developer for the games division of a Very Large Software Company, I had the opportunity to work on some impressive and fun projects. Back in the day before Millennials were a thing, web sites were more information-focused and less complex than they are today, and “web masters” (as they were once called) often found themselves doing every aspect for a particular project by themselves.

So one day, my boss forwards me an email from product marketing; it was the specifications for a sub-site, complete with verbiage, some assets, and a list of functional requirements. I dutifully prepared the web site, going back and forth with marketing over the site on our development server. Once completed, the often time-consuming process of Final Approval™ was the only obstacle to delivery.

I went on vacation with my girlfriend and prepared an email to my boss and delegate as to the status of the project, as well as the 30 seconds’ worth of work required to make the web site go live. It went live while I was on vacation without a hitch.

Fast forward six months later, and I was assigned a small section to add to our Intranet site announcing the recognition of certain employees for their efforts on specific projects and that these employees would be awarded a plaque and a payment of $800 at a company awards banquet. One of the projects being “recognized” was my very own sub-site.

Shockingly, the people they mentioned were: the marketing folks (no problem), my boss, and the fill-in who had literally pressed a button to launch it. My name was notable in its absence.

I complained to the lady in whatever-division-handles-award-giving-out and explained my situation. I complained that I had worked on the entire project alone from an IT and design perspective, that I had completed 99.9999% of the project. I pointed out that it had been assigned to me, and not the other recipients. I pointed out that the delegate had only pushed the site live, and my boss had only forwarded the original email to me and that given those credentials, I was certainly due recognition, the plaque, and the little bonus cheque (given tax deducations, the plaque was the more valuable item).

You know what her response to me was? “We can’t give awards out to everyone who was involved in the project.”

Jesus.

When my boss and my coworker went up on stage in their tuxes to receive their accolades, I did not clap.

Geth on

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    The comic appears to be MIA.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    It's a broken link

Is this it? Is it over?

• PublikwerksPublikwerks Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    The comic appears to be MIA.

That's nothing new.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think Trenches is going super-meta about its own doom.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Through my l33t hax0r skills, I have divined the intended Trenches comic for today:

i-6SXxvRS.jpg

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Did the artist change again?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    It sure looks like it.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    They're probably farming it out through eLance at this point.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Remember how that one time they decided the whole Penny Arcade news outlet and third party videos were bad and stopped doing them? Yeah... just take Trenches out in the back and shoot it already. You (apparently) can't even get people to contribute Tales of the Trenches anymore, which used to be the only readable part.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    They're probably farming it out through Mechanical Turk at this point.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I actually think the last few have been more readable as of late. Those horrible jokes + bad language comics were really, really bad.

However, I think a comic that is struggling to make 2 updates a month shouldn't be focusing a story around the holidays.