As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Modern Domestic Terrorism: Death In The Willamette

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The first amendment cleverly protects (at least from congress) both the right to religion and the right to criticize it. It isn't goosey. It is smart. I, for one, am thankful for the first amendment. It stands the test of time for my money:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I ... uh, what does this have to do with anything being said?

It was a response to Preacher. I suppose it means I disagree that it is goosey to make an analogy involving religion and that a better approach is to foster an environment that tolerates both religion and discussion of religion (including using religion in analogies to make a point, even a point one might disagree with).

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The first amendment cleverly protects (at least from congress) both the right to religion and the right to criticize it. It isn't goosey. It is smart. I, for one, am thankful for the first amendment. It stands the test of time for my money:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

It was a response to Preacher. I suppose it means I disagree that it is goosey to make an analogy involving religion and that a better approach is to foster an environment that tolerates both religion and discussion of religion (including using religion in analogies to make a point, even a point one might disagree with).

Yeah, I'm going to second shryke here

Preacher didn't say it was goosey to make an analogy involving religion, he/she said it was goosey to use religion as an analogy for internet community.

You're really pushing a completely separate agenda hard here.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Not to mention no one said anything at all about censorship so brining up the First Amendment is just .... random and non sequitur.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So there's a shooter / hostage situation at a planned parenthood in Colorado Springs.

Sorry, phone posting and links are being dumb

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I guess he heard what Marco Rubio said.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Not to mention no one said anything at all about censorship so brining up the First Amendment is just .... random and non sequitur.

I'm going to drop out since I'm not sure I understand what you and Preacher are saying and I don't think you understand what I am saying.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    OK, so in a desperate effort to bring this thread back to something approximating its intended purpose, today's mass shooting happened at a Planned Parenthood clinic. No motive established yet, etc., but it's not too hard to guess.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    zakkiel wrote: »
    OK, so in a desperate effort to bring this thread back to something approximating its intended purpose, today's mass shooting happened at a Planned Parenthood clinic. No motive established yet, etc., but it's not too hard to guess.

i'm going to go for a wild card and say "young liberal protesting the objectification of women in todays videogame industry".

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh good, the shooter is a white male.

So that means this is just an isolated incident and the poor man was probably suffering and not completely responsible.

We can all forget about it now because now is not the time to talk about guns.

Now is the time to not hold anyone in the right wing accountable for any of their extremist, ignorant rhetoric and try and find a reason for the most recently gunned down unarmed young black man to have had it coming anyway.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Oh good, the shooter is a white male.

So that means this is just an isolated incident and the poor man was probably suffering and not completely responsible.

We can all forget about it now because now is not the time to talk about guns.

Now is the time to not hold anyone in the right wing accountable for any of their extremist, ignorant rhetoric and try and find a reason for the most recently gunned down unarmed young black man to have had it coming anyway.

Yeah not the time to talk about a major presidential candidate who openly invited this kind of thing recently. Nope isolated incident mental illness is the real issue, random not at all related location.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    We need to focus on the underlying problem, the treatment of mental problems

*Goes back to doing nothing about the treatment of mental problems*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Suspect in custody, NBC says he surrendered. No word on fatalities, at least 11 transported to hospitals, 5 of those police officers.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    zakkiel wrote: »

this top comment
    When will the so-called "moderate" Christian clerics denounce the evil-doers? Why didn't the "moderate" Christians report them to the community? Undoubtedly, the killer was raised in a Christian "no-go" area.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Umm... I don't know about the pure mental illness thing. There has been enough terroristic attacks on abortion clinics that the media may well spin it as terrorism. Still an isolated incident of course, but one of someone who was so motivated by his pro-life beliefs that he felt he had to kill some abortionists.

Basically, the right is going to do the thing where they condemn his actions be reaffirm their shared beliefs. It will probably be used to at least suggest additional legislation to increase the security of abortion clinics, by making them not exist.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I wonder if shootings motivated by a pro-life agenda ever stop and think about the irony.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess no.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Christian "no-go" area.

this is not too far off the mark for Colorado Springs

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Suspect in custody, NBC says he surrendered. No word on fatalities, at least 11 transported to hospitals, 5 of those police officers.

If only one of those officers had been armed. That's the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun I hear.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Taken alive.
    Ks8k4w7.jpg
    Buckley said the first call for service came at 11:38 a.m. and came from the Planned Parenthood address. The branch is located at 3480 Centennial Blvd., just north of West Fillmore Street.

Not black, not a bank robber. #tcot gets another one wrong.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Why do the republican candidates all refuse to condemn this as radical christian terrorism?

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Why do the republican candidates all refuse to condemn this as radical christian terrorism?
    Most of them are radical Christians. :rotate:

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    No you can't help

Because they want the votes of the people who think this madman is a hero.

• Options
    Planned Parenthood believes their staff is accounted for, Colorado Attorney General says there has been some "loss of life." Those are via CNN so grain of salt.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The loss of life is being reported as a Police officer. Also any news on the weapon yet? It is being reported as a long rifle which means it most likely is a semi auto non modded rifle.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    NYT reporting 3 dead, 2 civillians and a police officer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/28/us/colorado-planned-parenthood-shooting.html?_r=0

I'd REALLY like for someone to stick a microphone in Rubio and Fiorina's face right now.
    It'd also be great if every goosing story didnt mention the sting videos....as if that somehow makes it ok that they became a target. Oh, that Liberal media!

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    The loss of life is being reported as a Police officer. Also any news on the weapon yet? It is being reported as a long rifle which means it most likely is a semi auto non modded rifle.

I'd be curious about that.

Seems to me that every mass shooting involving a long gun I can recall was an assault rifle.

I'm reading in the reddit thread that he had an AK

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Taken alive.
    Ks8k4w7.jpg
    Buckley said the first call for service came at 11:38 a.m. and came from the Planned Parenthood address. The branch is located at 3480 Centennial Blvd., just north of West Fillmore Street.

Not black, not a bank robber. #tcot gets another one wrong.

Taken alive? So, definitely white, then?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Taken alive is good. Makes it more likely he'll talk about exactly why he did it.

• Options
    Taken alive is good. Makes it more likely he'll talk about exactly why he did it.

Not like it matters, whatever he says will just reaffirm both sides and America will continue ignoring our issue with white terrorism and violent rhetoric and both sides are bad, I mean BLM broke some windows in Seattle today.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    No you can't help

Because they want the votes of the people who think this madman is a hero.

The only way I can reconcile our two opinions is that you don't live in the south.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    http://gawker.com/fox-news-commentator-blames-planned-parenthood-shooter-1744933478

Fox news going to fox news.

Again, this is our president acting like a fool. I mean to see something like this, we noticed when the attacks occurred in Paris, when the cops were in their car getting attacked, we have to prepare ourselves. This is a war. We’re against... terrorists are against this country.

It’s going to open up here in America, and we’ve got to be prepared. And we’ve also got to start training all our officers in the use of high powered equipment. We’re dealing with bad people. Our little 9 millimeters are not going to do anything against somebody with an AK-47. [unintelligible—moreso] This is an attack on us; it’s going to be for the next generation. We have to deal with it. We have to prepare ourselves for the worst, and pray that the worst don’t happen.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Clearly the police are not militarized enough

Is there ever a situation where the answer is not more guns

• Options
    If the people who would get the guns aren't white.

• Options

I would say the Crucifixion. But even then they would drag out the "If only Jesus had had a gun when the Romans came for him!"

Like, I really believe there are actual, real, non-internet parodies of real people, that would say that.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    What exactly was it the Rubio said regarding PP? I tried googling it, but all the nominee candidates say so much shit over so many things every minute of the day I couldn't find anything that was like ohhh this must be what they are refering to.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Marauder wrote: »

I would say the Crucifixion. But even then they would drag out the "If only Jesus had had a gun when the Romans came for him!"

Like, I really believe there are actual, real, non-internet parodies of real people, that would say that.

But, like, he gave himself over to the Romans knowing they would kill him.

If there were a lot of guns back then they only thing that would have changed is we would have gotten a much cooler legendary weapon out of the deal.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://gawker.com/fox-news-commentator-blames-planned-parenthood-shooter-1744933478

Again, this is our president acting like a fool. I mean to see something like this, we noticed when the attacks occurred in Paris, when the cops were in their car getting attacked, we have to prepare ourselves. This is a war. We’re against... terrorists are against this country.

It’s going to open up here in America, and we’ve got to be prepared. And we’ve also got to start training all our officers in the use of high powered equipment. We’re dealing with bad people. Our little 9 millimeters are not going to do anything against somebody with an AK-47. [unintelligible—moreso] This is an attack on us; it’s going to be for the next generation. We have to deal with it. We have to prepare ourselves for the worst, and pray that the worst don’t happen.

Hahahahaha. I've never heard that before!

The rapid militarisation of the police happened not long after...

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

So the solution to the public having too many large guns, is to give the police bigger guns?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    What exactly was it the Rubio said regarding PP? I tried googling it, but all the nominee candidates say so much shit over so many things every minute of the day I couldn't find anything that was like ohhh this must be what they are refering to.

Not so much his stance on PP as his fervent desire to abandon the Constitutional rights of American citizens, as long as they're brown and maybe said Allahu akbar that one time online.
    http://americablog.com/2015/11/marco-rubio-one-ups-trump-will-shut-down-all-maybe-terrorist-hangouts.html
    It’s not about closing down mosques. It’s about closing down anyplace — whether it’s a cafe, a diner, an internet site — anyplace where radicals are being inspired. The bigger problem we have is our inability to find out where these places are, because we’ve crippled our intelligence programs, both through unauthorized disclosures by a traitor, in Edward Snowden, or by some of the things this president has put in place with the support even of some from my own party to diminish our intelligence capabilities.

So whatever facility is being used — it’s not just a mosque — any facility that’s being used to radicalize and inspire attacks against the United States, should be a place that we look at.

But strangely, has no problem with right wing groups inspiring attacks against their fellow Americans. And certainly wouldn't advocate that we use surveillance on white supremacists and sovereign state insurrectionists.

Meanwhile, since just the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook, over 1300 people have been killed in mass shootings. Over 3 years thats an average of 425 per year. 4 times as deadly as Paris. Every. Fucking. Year.
    http://www.vox.com/a/mass-shootings-sandy-hook
    40a4eiqwzzrn.jpg

This discussion has been closed.