As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Modern Domestic Terrorism: Death In The Willamette

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://gawker.com/fox-news-commentator-blames-planned-parenthood-shooter-1744933478

Fox news going to fox news.

Again, this is our president acting like a fool. I mean to see something like this, we noticed when the attacks occurred in Paris, when the cops were in their car getting attacked, we have to prepare ourselves. This is a war. We’re against... terrorists are against this country.

It’s going to open up here in America, and we’ve got to be prepared. And we’ve also got to start training all our officers in the use of high powered equipment. We’re dealing with bad people. Our little 9 millimeters are not going to do anything against somebody with an AK-47. [unintelligible—moreso] This is an attack on us; it’s going to be for the next generation. We have to deal with it. We have to prepare ourselves for the worst, and pray that the worst don’t happen.

So the solution to the public having too many large guns, is to give the police bigger guns?

And then the public will need bigger guns to defend themselves from the tyranny of the government.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a rocket launcher is a good guy with a tank.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Or a pyro with air blast.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a rocket launcher is a good guy with a tank.

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a tank is a good guy with an A-10.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The only thing that stops an A-10 is Obama not buying enough bullets.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    http://gawker.com/fox-news-commentator-blames-planned-parenthood-shooter-1744933478

Again, this is our president acting like a fool. I mean to see something like this, we noticed when the attacks occurred in Paris, when the cops were in their car getting attacked, we have to prepare ourselves. This is a war. We’re against... terrorists are against this country.

It’s going to open up here in America, and we’ve got to be prepared. And we’ve also got to start training all our officers in the use of high powered equipment. We’re dealing with bad people. Our little 9 millimeters are not going to do anything against somebody with an AK-47. [unintelligible—moreso] This is an attack on us; it’s going to be for the next generation. We have to deal with it. We have to prepare ourselves for the worst, and pray that the worst don’t happen.
    Our little 9 millimeters are not going to do anything against somebody with an AK-47
    Does...does Fox news know how guns work?

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Our little 9 millimeters are not going to do anything against somebody with an AK-47
    Does...does Fox news know how guns work?

If they knew what they fuck they were talking about they wouldn't be on Fox News.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    To be fair, that particular AK does provide incredible bonuses to armor class

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    47 is a bigger number than 9

It's simple mathe-combat

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    To be fair, I wouldn't want to go up against someone with an AK47 with a pistol.

Which is why I support rational gun control laws that prevent the import of Russian Assault Rifles.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Marauder wrote: »
    Clearly the police are not militarized enough

Is there ever a situation where the answer is not more guns

I would say the Crucifixion. But even then they would drag out the "If only Jesus had had a gun when the Romans came for him!"

Like, I really believe there are actual, real, non-internet parodies of real people, that would say that.

But, like, he gave himself over to the Romans knowing they would kill him.

If there were a lot of guns back then they only thing that would have changed is we would have gotten a much cooler legendary weapon out of the deal.

I never really understood why people were so upset with Judas, Jews or the Romans.
    I mean, wasn't crucifixion the whole damn point?
    If anything, you should be upset with the disciples that were not following the program and tried to stop it.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I wonder if shootings motivated by a pro-life agenda ever stop and think about the irony.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess no.

Well, let's play hardcore fundamentalist Christian's advocate for a moment.

What's a few lost lives when your end result is the shutdown of a business that profits from the murder of babies? Especially considering the people who do lose their lives were baby murder profiteers?

The good of the many, etc.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I wonder if shootings motivated by a pro-life agenda ever stop and think about the irony.

What's a few lost lives when your end result is the shutdown of a business that profits from the murder of babies? Especially considering the people who do lose their lives were baby murder profiteers?

I was thinking about this with regard to the 'Republican Base' and how they will always vote GOP. If you have a truly held belief that abortion is baby murder, there really is no policy in the world that is going to make you vote Dem, ever.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Spaffy wrote: »

I was thinking about this with regard to the 'Republican Base' and how they will always vote GOP. If you have a truly held belief that abortion is baby murder, there really is no policy in the world that is going to make you vote Dem, ever.

I don't think most people saying it actually believe abortion is murder (same way i doubt most people saying it don't think meat is murder).
    Mainly because if it was, straight up murdering abortion doctors and bombing clinics would be more common.

They think abortion is wrong, but the murder claim is just hyperbole, like calling someone on internet forum worse than Hitler for liking Nickelback or something.

edit-
    occasionally we do get people who actually believe this shit, and then we get what we have now.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

While I appreciate this joke, I think "the corrupt Pentagon appropriations process" is a better one.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    President Barack Obama was briefed about the unfolding active shooter situation in Colorado, the White House stated.

...Do you think he just kind of shrugs and rolls his eyes at this point?

'Oh, another massacre. I'm shocked. I'm sure this will be the incident that finally demonstrates a need for more sensible gun laws & gun culture. When do I go give the damn speech?'

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Probably makes him seethe more than cynical. I know he famously doesn't show his temper, but it breaks through every time this happens.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    President Barack Obama was briefed about the unfolding active shooter situation in Colorado, the White House stated.

...Do you think he just kind of shrugs and rolls his eyes at this point?

'Oh, another massacre. I'm shocked. I'm sure this will be the incident that finally demonstrates a need for more sensible gun laws & gun culture. When do I go give the damn speech?'

Pretty sure his reaction now is more along the lines of https://youtu.be/XhI0OVs_zj0

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited November 2015

While I appreciate this joke, I think "the corrupt Pentagon appropriations process" is a better one.

They are old, ugly, slow, and totally unstealthy.

I'm 30, and frankly, they don't stand a chance against airplanes older than me, guided by radar systems only very slightly younger than me.

A third CAS option that requires air superiority, when you have a capable multirole fighter that you are in the process of replacing with an amazing one(with issues...) is of limited value.

I mean, I can see the point of not maintaining them... except for the thing where they excel at doing the things we need done in the type of fighting where we actually do it.

:(

Seriously ugly though.

redx on
  • Options
    Obama wrote:
    The last thing Americans should have to do, over the holidays or any day, is comfort the families of people killed by gun violence -- people who woke up in the morning and bid their loved ones goodbye with no idea it would be for the last time. And yet, two days after Thanksgiving, that’s what we are forced to do again.

We don’t yet know what this particular gunman’s so-called motive was for shooting twelve people, or for terrorizing an entire community, when he opened fire with an assault weapon and took hostages at a Planned Parenthood center in Colorado. What we do know is that he killed a cop in the line of duty, along with two of the citizens that police officer was trying to protect. We know that law enforcement saved lives, as so many of them do every day, all across America. And we know that more Americans and their families had fear forced upon them.

This is not normal. We can’t let it become normal. If we truly care about this -- if we’re going to offer up our thoughts and prayers again, for God knows how many times, with a truly clean conscience -- then we have to do something about the easy accessibility of weapons of war on our streets to people who have no business wielding them. Period. Enough is enough.

May God bless Officer Garrett Swasey and the Americans he tried to save -- and may He grant the rest of us the courage to do the same thing.

So yeah, GOD DAMMIT is about right.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I imagine his speech writers have a few templates set aside at this point.

• Options

They are old, ugly, slow, and totally unstealthy.

I'm 30, and frankly, they don't stand a chance against airplanes older than me, guided by radar systems only very slightly younger than me.

A third CAS option that requires air superiority, when you have a capable multirole fighter that you are in the process of replacing with an amazing one(with issues...) is of limited value.

I mean, I can see the point of not maintaining them... except for the thing where they excel at doing the things we need done in the type of fighting where we actually do it.

:(

Seriously ugly though.

Yeah, if we were fighting conventional wars against anyone with modern anti-air systems the A-10 would be grounded fast. Against the stuff the army's currently fighting though... well, the only thing with better time on target is a helicopter and they can't get to the target as fast (yet - I think the true replacement for the A-10 will end up being a helicopter if they ever get those high-speed prototypes working - especially if they can pull most of that speed slipping to the side to keep guns on target)

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    "I'm outraged but I don't know what to be outraged at! Quick, someone tell me what I hate more-the complexities of pregnancy and women's health when pertaining to abortions and general health or that a cop got killed! Oh, we're going with hating PP more this week? Okay, got it. Wait, where are we falling on that whole black baby thing? Oh, we care about the womb part because they aren't thugs then?"

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Clearly the police are not militarized enough

Is there ever a situation where the answer is not more guns

Hey this time they are saying bigger guns. There's a difference!

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Meanwhile, since just the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook, over 1300 people have been killed in mass shootings. Over 3 years thats an average of 425 per year. 4 times as deadly as Paris. Every. Fucking. Year.
    http://www.vox.com/a/mass-shootings-sandy-hook
    40a4eiqwzzrn.jpg

I'm moving to Wyoming.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Dashui wrote: »
    Meanwhile, since just the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook, over 1300 people have been killed in mass shootings. Over 3 years thats an average of 425 per year. 4 times as deadly as Paris. Every. Fucking. Year.
    40a4eiqwzzrn.jpg

I'm moving to Wyoming.

Here's a population density map of the us:
    us-population-map.gif

There are fewer shootings in Wyoming because wild deer don't know how to use guns

...yet

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    40a4eiqwzzrn.jpg

I'm moving to Wyoming.

us-population-map.gif

There are fewer shootings in Wyoming because wild deer don't know how to use guns

...yet

It's really depressing that the shooting map is already approaching a population density map...

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    40a4eiqwzzrn.jpg

I'm moving to Wyoming.

us-population-map.gif

...yet

It's really depressing that the shooting map is already approaching a population density map...

I think that's pretty much to be expected, given a random distribution you'd expect most occurrences to be where the most people are. Plus there's the difficulty of doing a mass shooting when people are so spread out to begin with

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Phyphor wrote: »
    40a4eiqwzzrn.jpg

I'm moving to Wyoming.

us-population-map.gif

...yet

I think that's pretty much to be expected, given a random distribution you'd expect most occurrences to be where the most people are. Plus there's the difficulty of doing a mass shooting when people are so spread out to begin with

Most things classify mass shootings as those with more than like... three victims? I don't think that's hard to do even in rural states. It's probably mostly a function of the number of people who could do such a thing (look at how well the populated areas in Colorado and Utah match up)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    40a4eiqwzzrn.jpg

I'm moving to Wyoming.

us-population-map.gif

...yet

In the US, anywhere else this would be appalling and a serious thing to change.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Time to check my crazy pills prescription because I'm pretty sure I'm on them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I don't understand.

Glen Beck makes a comment that is not horrible and does not advance an agenda?

Like, am I so out of touch with the Republican base that I just don't pick up on the dog whistle anymore?

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Nyysjan wrote: »

I don't think most people saying it actually believe abortion is murder (same way i doubt most people saying it don't think meat is murder).
    Mainly because if it was, straight up murdering abortion doctors and bombing clinics would be more common.

They think abortion is wrong, but the murder claim is just hyperbole, like calling someone on internet forum worse than Hitler for liking Nickelback or something.

edit-
    occasionally we do get people who actually believe this shit, and then we get what we have now.

No, they definitely do. Life begins at conception, so abortion kills unborn people. Maybe if you want to use a very strict legal definition, some might say "okay, maybe not exactly murder..." but the thinking goes: abortion intentionally kills people, and intentionally killing someone = murder, therefore abortion = murder.

However, the vast, vast, vast majority of pro-lifers realize that killing abortion doctors is also wrong, bombing clinics is also wrong, terrorism is also wrong, etc, so killing abortion doctors and bombing clinics remains relatively rare.

Edit to add:

Honestly, something like that is going to be the average response from pro-lifers and regular religious people, even most of the conservative fundamentalists.

jimb213 on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

I don't understand.

Like, am I so out of touch with the Republican base that I just don't pick up on the dog whistle anymore?

That comment is very much advancing the anti-abortion agenda, just not the extremist position. He still calls abortion murder twice.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

I don't understand.

He started breaking from the ultra conservative right as soon as he left Fox. I'm not saying that he's a monument of progressive liberalism now (or even a decent human being), but it's gotten pretty clear that for a long time he was nothing but a talking head, parroting whatever the network fed him rather than expressing his actual beleifs.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Obama wrote:
    The last thing Americans should have to do, over the holidays or any day, is comfort the families of people killed by gun violence -- people who woke up in the morning and bid their loved ones goodbye with no idea it would be for the last time. And yet, two days after Thanksgiving, that’s what we are forced to do again.

We don’t yet know what this particular gunman’s so-called motive was for shooting twelve people, or for terrorizing an entire community, when he opened fire with an assault weapon and took hostages at a Planned Parenthood center in Colorado. What we do know is that he killed a cop in the line of duty, along with two of the citizens that police officer was trying to protect. We know that law enforcement saved lives, as so many of them do every day, all across America. And we know that more Americans and their families had fear forced upon them.

This is not normal. We can’t let it become normal. If we truly care about this -- if we’re going to offer up our thoughts and prayers again, for God knows how many times, with a truly clean conscience -- then we have to do something about the easy accessibility of weapons of war on our streets to people who have no business wielding them. Period. Enough is enough.

May God bless Officer Garrett Swasey and the Americans he tried to save -- and may He grant the rest of us the courage to do the same thing.

So yeah, GOD DAMMIT is about right.

Oh please. Maybe instead of banging on this old pot again, we can look at the actual cause of this: If you tell enough people that Planned Parenthood is no different from Dachau, eventually someone will reach the obvious conclusion that any means are reasonable to fight such a thing. After all, we just had an arson of a Planned Parenthood not too long ago, so even under some magical faerie gun control scenario, whack-job terrorists will still be attacking them.

This is a first amendment issue. I don't think there is a regulation that would stand the test of generations to fix it, but it should be obvious that calling doctors murderers for allowing women to make their own healthcare choices is going to result in stuff like this, along with all of the morally wrong and medically dangerous in the boring statistical aggregate stuff like defunding Planned Parenthood, de facto "I'm not touching you!" near bans, etc. It would be dangerous in the absence of any violence whatsoever, because restricting medical access is inherently dangerous, just not in a CNN breaking news, 'if it bleeds, it leads' way.

Let's put the blame where it belongs: Anyone who has called abortion murder has helped contribute to this attack.

Edit to add:
    The National Abortion Federation has also tracked 17 attempted murders, 42 bombings, 182 arsons and more than 1,500 vandalisms targeting clinics in the past 38 years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/debunked-planned-parenthood-videos-led-attack-activists-article-1.2448839

programjunkie on
  • Options
    We don't know this guys motive, we do know his instrument and shockingly unlike the attempted arson it got 5 people killed. But again more blood for the tree of gun liberty in America.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »

edit-

No, they definitely do. Life begins at conception, so abortion kills unborn people. Maybe if you want to use a very strict legal definition, some might say "okay, maybe not exactly murder..." but the thinking goes: abortion intentionally kills people, and intentionally killing someone = murder, therefore abortion = murder.

However, the vast, vast, vast majority of pro-lifers realize that killing abortion doctors is also wrong, bombing clinics is also wrong, terrorism is also wrong, etc, so killing abortion doctors and bombing clinics remains relatively rare.

Right, you know of a mass murderer who kills dozens, if not hundreds of people every year, innocent, young, helpless people.
    And not only does society do nothing to stop him, they protect him from consequences.
    At what point do you become morally culpable for not acting to stop them despite having the means to do so?

Sure, it might be wrong, but it's not quite murder.
    And this ignores the amount of anti choice people who, when put to test, will get an abortion themselves, only to go back to protesting against it afterwards.

Deep down, most of these people don't believe what they are saying, they can't, because if they did, some of them (lot more than actually do) would have to act on those beliefs.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Nah, most of them believe it.

cognitive dissonance is just a helluva drug.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Nah, most of them believe it.

cognitive dissonance is just a helluva drug.

Yea and I don't' terribly like the argument. I think it's a valid one, they certainly don't treat it like murder, but fuck if I want to make the argument and instead of "Yep, I wasn't acting like it was murder, I guess I don't think it's murder then" they go "Yep I wasn't acting like it's murder, do you know where I can purchase some explosives?"

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.