As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No, YOU La Mog! [Magic: the Gathering] Thread to praise Taramoor because

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    0% chance we see enemy fetches until at LEAST the block after innistrad, and i would put that one at like a 30% chance

liEt3nH.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I'm so uninterested in standard right now that I switched to playing a stock abzan aggro list

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    i'll probably be much more interested in standard once fetchlands rotate out

if they print enemy fetches now i'll actually be upset

enemy fetches NEED to be reprinted

100%

if modern is going to remain viable

but holy fuck competitive standard decks are bare minimum like $400 right now, and that is not really excusable

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    4-color standard is cool! But overpriced Jace is not...

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    4 color standard is the least interesting thing in the world to me and it's the #1 reason i haven't played standard in weeks

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    standard is actually shockingly diverse right now in spite of the prevalence of jace

i don't like it right now because i don't like high power four colour formats, but the meme has been that the standard is solved from day 1 just play dark jeskai or abzan aggro and that is decisively not the case

a lot of people locally don't seem to like it much either

our fnm attendance has plummeted, and with 12 fetch manabases a lot of people are shit outta luck without acquiring missing ones somehow

like I'm playing gw megamorph right now and i technically should be playing more strands but I just don't have em (thankfully its not super important for a 2 color deck)

morph and ramp are like the only decks I can play that i enjoy right now without getting 3 more strands

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    well it's difficult to say how much is not liking it and how much is "fuck the price"

i just speak for myself because i know it's not the price

liEt3nH.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    i'm completely bought into this standard because i have playsets of almost everything at this point

i just really don't like playing it. 4 color decks are the least interesting thing in the world to me. Make me play 2 colors again! even when we were capped at 3 being the best was so much more interesting than this 'everyone splashes black for crackling doom'

(note: i havent looked at standard in weeks)

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    edited November 2015
    well it's difficult to say how much is not liking it and how much is "fuck the price"

i just speak for myself because i know it's not the price

both are definitely a factor

i personally also really hate all color goodstuff deck metas

and also the fact that the way the current red based aggro deck plays is not something i enjoy the style of so I don't even really get to have fun with that either

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    i really just want to have a good shell for these archangel of tithes

liEt3nH.png
    i really just want to have a good shell for these erebos' titans

7yh4xczljsym.png
    yeah, standard right now is largely just "pick which subset of the most powerful cards you want to play"

i easily have the most fun playing ramp and casting ulamog than anything else this format

but its not the most consistent thing in the world so I haven't been playing it much and have relegated myself to megamorph

beating people with a fair and honest game of magic aint how I wanna do it but here we are I guess

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    i easily have the most fun playing ramp and casting ulamog than anything else this format

but its not the most consistent thing in the world so I haven't been playing it much and have relegated myself to megamorph

beating people with a fair and honest game of magic aint how I wanna do it but here we are I guess

Should go back a page and watch that drafting with Numot I linked, because that guy has stupid insane luck.

His Pick 1 is Conduit of Ruin

he is then IMMEDIATELY passed Ulamog, and then just ridiculous scion fuel to ramp it out and the scoin pump deck as backup

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

Should go back a page and watch that drafting with Numot I linked, because that guy has stupid insane luck.

His Pick 1 is Conduit of Ruin

he is then IMMEDIATELY passed Ulamog, and then just ridiculous scion fuel to ramp it out and the scoin pump deck as backup

NumotWorth

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've seen exciting matchups be super hard to watch and feel sluggish as well, so I don't think 100% of the blame can go on control mirror matchups.

A big % is owed to shitty coverage in the first place.

Well the thing is, Lands doesn't really fall into the preconceived deck archetypes. It's not aggro, it's not midrange, it's not control and it's probably not combo, while being closer to combo than any other. With the "God hand" you can win on turn 2 with some variants (I've seen versions that run Slayer's Stronghold to push Marit Lage through immediately), though turn 3 is a few factorials easier. That's the thing I love about the deck, is that even if your opponent knows you're playing lands, there's like 10 slots in the deck that vary based on preference, and that's really cool!

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've seen exciting matchups be super hard to watch and feel sluggish as well, so I don't think 100% of the blame can go on control mirror matchups.

Well the thing is, Lands doesn't really fall into the preconceived deck archetypes. It's not aggro, it's not midrange, it's not control and it's probably not combo, while being closer to combo than any other. With the "God hand" you can win on turn 2 with some variants (I've seen versions that run Slayer's Stronghold to push Marit Lage through immediately), though turn 3 is a few factorials easier. That's the thing I love about the deck, is that even if your opponent knows you're playing lands, there's like 10 slots in the deck that vary based on preference, and that's really cool!

Its Prison-Combo I would think.

Quire.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I forget is there a viable mill deck in the current standard

if not then yes current standard is garbage

2x39jD4.jpg
    I like this punishing abzan deck a whole lot

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Seems grindy as heck and idk about the combo matchup.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator

it's not really prison though

I mean, miracles is way more prison than it, and miracles can still be worked through

I would call lands a control deck with a combo kill

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    On Standard:

To me, the format actually does seem rather diverse and fun right now. The reason I am not buying into it is the aforementioned Price.

The way I look at it is this:

With Standard, I can buy into a deck right now but it'll go away with Rotation and I lose the investment. However, since Standard is so expensive right now, I can save up a little longer and just buy into Modern and not worry about Rotation.

On top of that, all my local shops do Standard on Fridays, when I can not go because I need to work. However, a local shop does Modern every Monday when Im usually off.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it's not really prison though

I mean, miracles is way more prison than it, and miracles can still be worked through

I would say that miracles is control-prison as well so.

Also I think any deck that can wasteland you every turn forever counts as prison.

And Dark depths is certainly a combo kill.

There is certainly an element of control as well.

Quire.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Thats some interesting graph. It's crazy to see the cards that are only in one deck but are popular enough to get high rankings... Like all of affinity

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    fuck you thragtusk

FqmsaJ6.png
    Thats some interesting graph. It's crazy to see the cards that are only in one deck but are popular enough to get high rankings... Like all of affinity

I found it interesting when certain cards weren't actually auto-4-ofs that I assumed would be if main at all.

Like there are people NOT running 4 Snapcasters in decks that want Snapcaster? Whaaaat?

I found it interesting when certain cards weren't actually auto-4-ofs that I assumed would be if main at all.

Like there are people NOT running 4 Snapcasters in decks that want Snapcaster? Whaaaat?

well it's a balancing act because you want to make sure you're running enough things for snaps to flashback

you also have situations like twin where they have to dedicate a certain number of slots to their combo pieces

ban sensei's divining top

As someone who has borderline no idea how decks in Legacy work, that game made my head spin.

Like what in the world.

As someone who has borderline no idea how decks in Legacy work, that game made my head spin.

Like what in the world.

step 1: look at the top 3 cards of your deck
    step 2: put them back
    step 3: pass the turn
    step 4: repeat ad nauseum

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I love that there are cards from virtually every expansion since Urza represented in that Modern breakdown.

Also Lightning Bolt.

Taramoor on
    oh man, enchantress!

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Feels like this storm player should have won already, assuming Chain of Vapor is in the deck.

He has 7 mana after Infernal Tutor, gets Past in Flames, 3 mana, Cabal up to 4 (leaving a blue mana in pool), ritual, ritual up to 8, Infernal Tutor for Chain of Vapor and cast it (down to 5), Tendrils for lethal.

Storm is a fun deck.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    LSV is streaming some Pauper League right now and yeah, format is totally degenerate.

no more than any other eternal

liEt3nH.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    LSV is streaming some Pauper League right now and yeah, format is totally degenerate.

Man, saw this a half hour late, now he's losing horribly in Vintage.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Pauper is fun just because the cost of entry for most decks is so low.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I think that was the first time I've ever seen a turn one kill on SCG just now.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
This discussion has been closed.