As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Modern Domestic Terrorism: Death In The Willamette

19596979899101»

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Nah, most of them believe it.

cognitive dissonance is just a helluva drug.

Yea and I don't' terribly like the argument. I think it's a valid one, they certainly don't treat it like murder, but fuck if I want to make the argument and instead of "Yep, I wasn't acting like it was murder, I guess I don't think it's murder then" they go "Yep I wasn't acting like it's murder, do you know where I can purchase some explosives?"

Well i guess i prefer thinking of them as hypocritical overly emmotional people guilty of hyperbolic statements, rather than people willing to watch thousands of babies get murdered because stopping it would put them into danger.

• DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Glenn beck is back pedaling on the harsh anti-pp rhetoric because he (like most people I think) expects the shooter to be inspired by the baby-murder arguments the right have been spewing for a while.

And since a cop was killed there is no way to spin it to score political points. So backpedal backpedal backpedal.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Nah, most of them believe it.

cognitive dissonance is just a helluva drug.

Yea and I don't' terribly like the argument. I think it's a valid one, they certainly don't treat it like murder, but fuck if I want to make the argument and instead of "Yep, I wasn't acting like it was murder, I guess I don't think it's murder then" they go "Yep I wasn't acting like it's murder, do you know where I can purchase some explosives?"

Well i guess i prefer thinking of them as hypocritical overly emmotional people guilty of hyperbolic statements, rather than people willing to watch thousands of babies get murdered because stopping it would put them into danger.

It can be both.

This has been your uplifting thought about humanity for today.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Dunder wrote: »
    Glenn beck is back pedaling on the harsh anti-pp rhetoric because he (like most people I think) expects the shooter to be inspired by the baby-murder arguments the right have been spewing for a while.

And since a cop was killed there is no way to spin it to score political points. So backpedal backpedal backpedal.

I have for serious heard this weekend from family the statement that "It's Obama's fault those people and that officer are dead." Because if it weren't for Planned Parenthood and the Democrats wanting to murder babies, this poor man wouldn't have been pushed to do the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Viskod on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Marauder wrote: »
    40a4eiqwzzrn.jpg

I'm moving to Wyoming.

I went to Wyoming once. It was terrible. If you move there the only person you will want to shoot will be yourself

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The only person you will be able to shoot will be yourself. The only way you can have a mass shooting in Wyoming is with long range ballistic missiles

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »

I don't think most people saying it actually believe abortion is murder (same way i doubt most people saying it don't think meat is murder).
    Mainly because if it was, straight up murdering abortion doctors and bombing clinics would be more common.

They think abortion is wrong, but the murder claim is just hyperbole, like calling someone on internet forum worse than Hitler for liking Nickelback or something.

edit-
    occasionally we do get people who actually believe this shit, and then we get what we have now.

No, they definitely do. Life begins at conception, so abortion kills unborn people. Maybe if you want to use a very strict legal definition, some might say "okay, maybe not exactly murder..." but the thinking goes: abortion intentionally kills people, and intentionally killing someone = murder, therefore abortion = murder.

However, the vast, vast, vast majority of pro-lifers realize that killing abortion doctors is also wrong, bombing clinics is also wrong, terrorism is also wrong, etc, so killing abortion doctors and bombing clinics remains relatively rare.

Relatively rare? Compared to what?

Anti-abortion gruops are probably the second most successful terrorist organizations in the US after anti-black groups.

What's the third

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    What's the third

Based on this, I'd guess anti-government right-wing kooks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States#Attacks_by_type

Looking at that data, I have no idea what comes after number 1

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a tank is a good guy with an A-10.

The only thing that stops an A-10 is Obama not buying enough bullets.

While I appreciate this joke, I think "the corrupt Pentagon appropriations process" is a better one.

They are old, ugly, slow, and totally unstealthy.

I'm 30, and frankly, they don't stand a chance against airplanes older than me, guided by radar systems only very slightly younger than me.

A third CAS option that requires air superiority, when you have a capable multirole fighter that you are in the process of replacing with an amazing one(with issues...) is of limited value.

I mean, I can see the point of not maintaining them... except for the thing where they excel at doing the things we need done in the type of fighting where we actually do it.

:(

Seriously ugly though.
    The last time a US aircraft was downed by an enemy aircraft was 25 years ago. The last time a US aircraft downed an enemy aircraft was about 10 years ago. It's got to the point that the US military can clear the skies without launching a single fighter. The A-10 is pretty much the only non-reconnaissance plane with a practical use these days.

And ugly?!?!? Pistols at dawn, my good sir.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ehhhhh, we can clear the skies at will against any third world shithole, sure. I don't think it'd be that easy against China, Russia, or any first world nation. And yeah, the A-10 is awesome at this brushwar/insurgency stuff. Definitely going to be an issue when they finally turn it over to F-16 / F-35.

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    The A-10 is useful in the wars we are actually fighting. While one can posit hypothetical wars in which it would not be a good choice, that doesn't discredit it, but merely cautions about assuming it is perfect.

You're literally killing the troops by not advocating for the maximally effective CAS (close air support).

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Guys this really isn't the thread for this discussion.

Hacksaw wrote: »

I'd argue the opposite. The A-10 is one of the foremost weapons against terrorism, because it reduces the efficacy of dangerous armed groups to perpetrate violent attacks against civilian populations.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Yes, but what about the 20 foot rule?

On topic. Mental illness! Surprise, guess it's not a gun problem guys. No reason for concern that a literal crazed hermit can wander out of his hovel and buy a deadly weapon.

Edit/ autocorrect

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I was an unnecessarily snarky double post!

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan

I'd argue the opposite. The A-10 is one of the foremost weapons against terrorism, because it reduces the efficacy of dangerous armed groups to perpetrate violent attacks against civilian populations.

And when we start deploying them in Colorado we will definitely need your expertise. However, I don't think there's a clear link at this point unless my newsreel is waaaay different than yours.

Not all terrorism is domestic, though, yes, the mechanisms for fixing domestic terrorism are fundamentally different from fixing international terrorism.

This is the domestic terrorism thread. We're not using A10s on Americans.

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    This is the domestic terrorism thread. We're not using A10s on Americans.

How many Americans are fighting for ISIS?

Kind of interested now, you don't seem to generate the same discussion as us (more British ISIS fighters than muslims in the military to put it into perspective) or the French etc. Get the impression you just don't have many because of your tiny spreadout population and how choosy you are with your immigrants.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Wut.

Now you're just being ridiculous.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    We're over 100 pages and talking about the A-10, so this topic is taking a break; it can come back in a couple of weeks.

rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.