As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a laptop maybe

Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
So I might be getting a laptop to help me with school work. I'll probably get one in around one month (since my birthday is around that time.)
So, a good laptop for around 900€. XP or Vista isn't much of a matter since I'll probably format and install XP anyway. It needs to be decently portable, so no more than 15.4 inches.
And no macbooks.
So anyway. My first choice right now is this one.
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3477327/Acer-TravelMate-5520G-402G16Mi-Turion-Tl-58-1-9GHz-2GB-160GB-15-4-DVD-SM-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook/Product.html
(okay, so the price is in £, but I couldn't find it at a better place.)
It's pretty good for the price, I think... I wouldn't play very intense games with it (at most, maybe dark crusade and some older RPGs).
Anyway, I'm open to suggestions... It's the first laptop I found that was decent in that price range.

Burning Organ on

• EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I figured I should toss my lot in here

I was actually looking for a new laptop the other day in roughly the same price range as what you mentioned. I should preface this with the warning that I know very little about computers.

This was what I think I'm leaning towards right now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220163
    Plus an extra 1 GB of RAM puts that at roughly $1,200 U.S., which i think is nearly equivalent to your budget.

Ein on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do not sacrifice power for portability, in the long run it is NOT worth it

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Girlfriend just ordered a Lenovo Thinkpad T61: 15.4", 2.0Ghz, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB), 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2, 120GB HD, 24X/24X/24X/8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Vista Home Premium.

All cost about $1239. I fear your strange and unfamiliar system of currency, but google says
    900 € = 1 291.86 US$.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

That really depends on what you need it for. I have a widescreen laptop with lots of power for gaming, but it's huge and hard to carry around without the special backpack I got for it, and the fans are so loud I don't want to take it to class. Everybody else has these tiny, silent things they can slip into their messenger bags, and here I am writing all my notes in illegible pencil.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cyberpower PC has some good laptops that you can customize and they can come with some cool stuff like fingerprint sensors for security and like, 6 free games and all that, and they're not too expensive.

Also I have a beast of a laptop that is just a bit too heavy to be easy to carry around, so it's annoying to lug it everywhere, and just a bit too weak to run everything I want. So don't do what I did.

Khavall on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    See, I live near to school so I have to walk to it everyday, so I need portability and good battery life is a plus.
    Performance is pretty much just for the sake of having it, as long as it has 1 gig ram.
    Also, I need places shipping to Europe (Finland)... Checking out Cyberpower PCs now :D

Burning Organ on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nibble wrote: »

That really depends on what you need it for. I have a widescreen laptop with lots of power for gaming, but it's huge and hard to carry around without the special backpack I got for it, and the fans are so loud I don't want to take it to class. Everybody else has these tiny, silent things they can slip into their messenger bags, and here I am writing all my notes in illegible pencil.

It's funny, before your reply, I thought Improvolone was cautioning people to keep portability in mind. My brain just skipped right over the actual words because as written, it's crazy. If you already have a desktop and you're getting a laptop, portability is king. I love my little silent little thing with huge battery life (6+ hours) that I can slip back in to my small backpack. It can't really run modern games, but that's not what it's for.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited October 2007
    A laptop with the power of my desktop would probably cost at least 1500€
    Anyway, Cyberpower PC's look awesome, anyone from Europe ordered from that place?
    Good? Bad? Extra taxes? Shipping costs?

Burning Organ on
  • ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Urgel wrote: »
    And no macbooks.

That's like saying I want the best car in the world, but no European cars. You're just excluding yourself from a lot of good luxury cars and supercars.

That said, Power Notebooks uses the Sager laptops that most OEMs (Dell, Alienware, etc.) use. As a bonus, it comes without Windows so you save a few more bucks. (Especially since you'll just install XP on it anyway.)

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A laptop is the sacrifice of power for portability.

My girlfriend owns a "gaming laptop" (if there is such a thing, I don't think they exist). It's noisy, has a three hour battery life and takes 2 minutes to boot. On top of that it weighs a ton. Heavy enough for her to not carry around often even though it's not a massive machine. It does have a 15" screen and can play Half-life 2 reasonably (no better than my midrange desktop).

My housemate owns a Macbook which boots in 30 seconds and has a 6 hour battery life and a 13" screen (I think). It weighs nothing. I have no idea how it handles games but I'd imagine it's not great.

I own a tablet PC that boots in about a minute and is the same size and weight as a large pad of A4 paper. It dies after 7 hours - i.e. I can have it running for a whole working day on battery. Personally I'd recommend the Macbook - I don't think anyone builds a better Windows machine - but you don't want one so instead I'd look for a similarly specced PC. I love the tablet too but it's difficult to say you will - it's something you have to try to see if you like.

Jeak on
    edited October 2007
    ROFISH wrote: »
    And no macbooks.

That's like saying I want the best car in the world, but no European cars. You're just excluding yourself from a lot of good luxury cars and supercars.

That said, Power Notebooks uses the Sager laptops that most OEMs (Dell, Alienware, etc.) use. As a bonus, it comes without Windows so you save a few more bucks. (Especially since you'll just install XP on it anyway.)

Look, I'm planning on using this for 3 years. On year 3 we're gonna use linux a lot, and I need a computer where I can easily install Linux later on.
    So no macbooks :p

Burning Organ on
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I purchased a Fujitsu Lifebook tablet a little over a year ago, and it has been awesome thus far. I think because they're not a major player in the laptop world, they make up for it with good hardware. You can find several different models on Newegg, but I got the tablet for around $1,200 which is an insanely good deal considering the interface is powered by WACOM.

As for a regular laptop, check a few of these out.

Fujitsu LifeBook A6025 NoteBook Intel Core Duo T2450(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB DDR2 667 120GB 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner Intel GMA950 - Retail
    $999.99 ($799.99 after $200.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834110274

TOSHIBA Satellite A135-S4527 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T2080(1.73GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 533 120GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA950 - Retail
    $749.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114343

Gateway MT3422 NoteBook AMD Mobile Athlon 64 X2 TK-53(1.70GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 667 160GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 - Retail
    $669.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101085

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been thinking about this too, but I want to go for a gaming laptop. My problem is I've been out of the Windows laptop market for a bit so I don't really know who is up/down. I was thinking the Toshiba x205 series, but the fuckers are not available in the UK yet, and I just know that the "you live in the UK tax lol" margin is going to be a good 20-30% whenever it does come.

So anyway:

Toshiba - Yay/Nay
    Acer - Yay/Nay
    Levano - Yay/Nay
    HP - ...
    Dell - ...

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited October 2007
    Oh, yeah, I just remembered that if I would order from the us, I'd need another charger anyway....
    Anyone know how much tax + shipping to Europe would cost?

Burning Organ on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this too, but I want to go for a gaming laptop. My problem is I've been out of the Windows laptop market for a bit so I don't really know who is up/down. I was thinking the Toshiba x205 series, but the fuckers are not available in the UK yet, and I just know that the "you live in the UK tax lol" margin is going to be a good 20-30% whenever it does come.

So anyway:

Toshiba - Yay/Nay
    Acer - Yay/Nay
    Levano - Yay/Nay
    HP - ...
    Dell - ...

You probably mean Lenovo not Levano :). Anyway, I would check out www.notebookreview.com and they have nice helpful people at their forum.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ROFISH wrote: »
    And no macbooks.

Look, I'm planning on using this for 3 years. On year 3 we're gonna use linux a lot, and I need a computer where I can easily install Linux later on.

But ... MacBooks can run anything.

Don't turn down the prettiest girl around. She'll be good to you.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I bought a $450 Gateway laptop from Bestbuy (I was going to buy the $300 one, but I got there one person too late). It's got a Core Duo (forget the clock speed), 1 GB of RAM. It's more than powerful enough for my needs (web browsing, programming, using Office style applications even on Vista). I'm of the school that you should get the cheapest laptop possible and also invest in a mid-range desktop ($500-$1000 or so) to get the best of both worlds.

ikillkenny on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My recommendation is that whatever size you think you want, downgrade a size. Though it sounds like you're pretty confident in your choice, you should consider the irritation that comes with lugging it around. While I do agree that power is INCREDIBLY important, I think you'll really appreciate a smaller form factor.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm so god damn sick of people recommending MacBooks in threads where somebody specifically says no Macs. It's no damn wonder the Mac community has a reputation as being snobby and annoying.

I have a MacBook that I love, but I'm sick of people trying to push Macs on people who don't want them.

Treeloot on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    One thing about Vista notebooks - even if you have a copy of XP at home, make sure that there actually XP drivers for the hardware in the notebook!

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
    edited October 2007
    A 15.4" is generally around 3 kilos, right?
    3 kilos is nothing when I don't even need to walk 500 meters.
    Anyway, I've heard Acer has sort of crappy driver support and that the laptops comes crammed with shit programs or something like that....
    Is this true?

Burning Organ on
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »
    I'm so god damn sick of people recommending MacBooks in threads where somebody specifically says no Macs. It's no damn wonder the Mac community has a reputation as being snobby and annoying.

I have a MacBook that I love, but I'm sick of people trying to push Macs on people who don't want them.

Personally, I like to hear people's reasons why they don't want an Apple laptop as opposed to any other brand since they all run the same thing. The reason very well may be that they're more expensive since you don't plan to use OSX, but it's still interesting to see what drives people's decisions.

That said, I've had good luck with HP in the past year. They're all I purchase for work, and I've had pretty good luck with them reliability-wise and support-wise. I carry a 6910p for my work needs, and it's great (although, not cheap).

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
    edited October 2007
    Oh, also, I'm in a computer/business school....
    If I'd ever enter the building with a mac, I'd be ridiculed.... And likely beaten. With a Acer Ferrari laptop and a cheap HP laptop.
    (Also, I don't like mac desktops, so I won't support mac laptops....)

Ignore the parenthesis...

Burning Organ on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyway, I've heard Acer has sort of crappy driver support and that the laptops comes crammed with shit programs or something like that....
    Is this true?

Every person with an Acer I know had nothing but problems with it - software and hardware. I definetely would not recommend ever buying one of their laptops.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Does anyone know anything about Zepto? They seem to have good solutions. (Although, there's only the choice of a crappy intel card or a midrange nvidia card.... I'd like a low-range ATI or Nvidia card).

Burning Organ on
  • Mickey EyeMickey Eye Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If my work wasn't about to buy me a Lenovo T60p I'd probably be buying a T61. It's a pity I can't force my work to wait for the T61p. The move from ATI FireGL to Nvidia Quadro FX comes just a little too late for me. Next year when the people in the company start getting their older laptops replaced I am going to be so jealous.

On the size deal. 15.4 is all you want, I have tried carrying a 17inch wide-screen laptop too and from work, it's a god damn nightmare. And loud, don't forget loud.

Anyway, Lenovo quality is good and they feel so god damn solid compared to my old Acer and Toshiba.

[edit] Also they also have a nubin.

Mickey Eye on
    artillery2.gifmwd.gifcloak.gifrepairer.gif
    Sig images by FooB
    edited November 2007
    Oh, also, I'm in a computer/business school....
    If I'd ever enter the building with a mac, I'd be ridiculed.... And likely beaten. With a Acer Ferrari laptop and a cheap HP laptop.
    (Also, I don't like mac desktops, so I won't support mac laptops....)

Ignore the parenthesis...

I would hope that people in a computer/business school would know that Apple is more valuable than any other computer company and consistently has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings (despite dropping a bit this year, they're still on top), and therefore would look pretty silly for ridiculing someone using one. That and anybody using an Acer Ferrari branded laptop deserves to be beaten. Nothing against Acer, but those co-branded models are retarded.

However, I suppose your reason is fair enough if you've given them a previous shot. You didn't mention that you did, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'll still throw my support behind HP Business laptops. They've served me and my company very well.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

edited November 2007
    Yeah, HP was my second choice if I don't get one from zepto (don't want acer anymore :D).
    Also, I do have some apple experience, but that was one of the... Older ones. (Let's just say that it couldn't have run duke3d very well)

Burning Organ on
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, HP was my second choice if I don't get one from zepto (don't want acer anymore :D).
    Also, I do have some apple experience, but that was one of the... Older ones. (Let's just say that it couldn't have run duke3d very well)

Ouch. Just... ouch.

Anecdotal evidence time!

Personally, despite being all Mac at home (I recently executed the Great PC Purge of 2007 upon my new apartment), I wouldn't run Macs with anything before 10.3. I received my first Mac the day 10.3 came out. It shipped with 10.2 on it, but I refused to boot it up until I had a 10.3 disk in my hands (granted, it only took a few hours since I worked at CompUSA at the time, but still). In my opinion, it's not worth the switch before that. Naturally, you're not going to find any Macs to buy with 10.3 or earlier on them (since 10.5 just came out and is freaking awesome), but 10.3 was really the point that made them worth looking into again. If you're later in the market for another laptop, now is as good a time as any to give OSX a shot again (regardless of your thoughts on their hardware, the software makes it worth it).

In my opinion.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Mickey EyeMickey Eye Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    12gauge wrote: »
    Is this true?

Every person with an Acer I know had nothing but problems with it - software and hardware. I definetely would not recommend ever buying one of their laptops.
    My last laptop was/is an Acer Ferrari. The crammed full of shitness isn't too hard to deal with since all but a few items (on my model at least) were optional to install, and to be fair it's as much shit as you'll find in most other consumer laptop brands. However it still had plenty of problems, it toasted 2 miniXD cards in its built in card reader and now it only recognizes USB devices on its left side when it feels like it. These problems don't seem to be universal but more like a lack of quality overall.

Mickey Eye on
    artillery2.gifmwd.gifcloak.gifrepairer.gif
    Sig images by FooB
    edited November 2007
    Eh, the main reason I'm thinking of getting from zepto is the choice of NO OS, since I can get ubuntu on there for free, or just use my old XP copy.
    Saves me some pretty money :D
    (Can you install linux on macs?)

Burning Organ on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

This makes no sense.

You can install Linux on a Macbook. It's a PC under the shell. As with any new hardware, there are a few tricks to getting it running on the Macbook right now, but if you follow a guide you will have no problems.

Or you could just take the easy option, and install it on Parallels. That way, it's in its own virtual machine and you can use it side-by-side with OS X.

Plus, you get the advantage of having a fully POSIX-compliant Unix variant (OS X) as your standard OS. You can install pretty much any "Linux" stuff straight onto OS X using Fink or MacPorts. Unless you are going to be doing some kernel hacking, OS X will probably be able to do all the "Linux" work you need.

In any case, you can tinker with Unix on OS X, so by the time you get to your third year, you will be a Unix pro.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • pothead21pothead21 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A laptop with the power of my desktop would probably cost at least 1500€
    Anyway, Cyberpower PC's look awesome, anyone from Europe ordered from that place?
    Good? Bad? Extra taxes? Shipping costs?

I payed $1299 for my laptop and it is pretty close to my desktop as far as power is concerned.

pothead21 on
    mgsau0.png
    edited November 2007
    So there seems to be a lot of arguments for getting a mac....
    No arguments to why it's better than any other PC though.

I don't really see why I should get one as opposed to another PC. I mean, I'm already pretty fluent in vista and XP, last thing I need right now is to learn another bloody OS, except for linux, which I need to learn eventually.

I think I'm gonna get from zepto if I can get anyone to say something good about them.

Burning Organ on
    edited November 2007
    So there seems to be a lot of arguments for getting a mac....
    No arguments to why it's better than any other PC though.

They are a cheap, portable laptop. The Macbooks are really some of the best value laptops you can get right now.

For US$1100 you can get a fairly nice Macbook. They've even just been updated to use the new Santa Rosa chipset.
    I don't really see why I should get one as opposed to another PC. I mean, I'm already pretty fluent in vista and XP, last thing I need right now is to learn another bloody OS, except for linux, which I need to learn eventually.

What do you need to learn about Linux? If it's learning Bash scripting, then that can be done on OS X. If it's coding using POSIX C, then that can be done on OS X, if it's configuring and installing Unix apps, then that can be done on OS X.

If it's kernel hacking (which I doubt it would be), then you need Linux for that.

As for Windows, well you can run that in Parallels or Boot Camp anyway.

It seems to me that you need a portable laptop, and want to learn Unix. I really can't see why you are disregarding the main portable laptop that runs Unix out of the box.

I'm not saying that you should buy one... I'm just saying that it's worth considering, because your requirements for a laptop seem to be pretty much describing a Macbook.

Marlor on
    edited November 2007
    Cheapest apple laptop I could find is ~1100€ with only 1 gig of ram. For that price I shall require at least 2.
    The only upside I could find is that it's tiny. 13"
    Too much.
    I can't import from anywhere, unless the price is drastically less, and then much money would probably go to shipping and taxes anyways, so I could just get a laptop from here for cheaper with more performance. Protability is important, certainly, but I don't need anything smaller than 14-15.4". It's at that place I'd rather have a faster laptop instead of smaller.
    So, now it seems to be too expensive.

Burning Organ on
    edited November 2007
    Urgel wrote:
    Cheapest apple laptop I could find is ~1100€

Yeah, Europe gets hit a little bit by dodgy currency conversions... although the price is ~€870 once you take out taxes (so it's really only €100 more expensive than in the US).

In contrast, the Zepto laptops are surprisingly cheap in Europe.
    can't import from anywhere, unless the price is drastically less, and then much money would probably go to shipping and taxes anyways, so I could just get a laptop from here for cheaper with more performance.

Yeah, don't bother importing hardware if you're in Europe. I lived in the Netherlands for a little while, and I tried importing. It was a disaster. I was accustomed to the Australian customs system, where they let pretty much any electronics come in without charge if they are for personal use. In contrast, I was charged huge fees by Dutch customs, then more fees by TNT because they had to handle the customs fees.

So, if you can get a cheap laptop locally, then that's the best bet. Just make sure you try it before you buy. Some cheaper laptops look nice in photographs, but are flimsy and poorly constructed in reality.

Marlor on
    edited November 2007
    Reminds me of the time I saw a mac graphics card for 300 euros....
    It was a fucking X1600 XT, the equivalent of which I had gotten for my PC for around 100-150€ :D

Anyway, can someone vouch for Zepto? They're looking mighty fine right now.

Burning Organ on
    edited November 2007
    Cheapest apple laptop I could find is ~1100€ with only 1 gig of ram. For that price I shall require at least 2.
    The only upside I could find is that it's tiny. 13"
    Too much.
    I can't import from anywhere, unless the price is drastically less, and then much money would probably go to shipping and taxes anyways, so I could just get a laptop from here for cheaper with more performance. Protability is important, certainly, but I don't need anything smaller than 14-15.4". It's at that place I'd rather have a faster laptop instead of smaller.
    So, now it seems to be too expensive.

I mean, if you don't want to learn a new OS, then by all means get another Windows laptop. The reason I suggest a Mac is because lots of people are stuck with the misconceptions of "there's no software for OSX" or "File compatibility across platforms will be a problem" or "Only people doing graphic design use Macs."

Truth be told, for your average user, OSX is easier to use and (by virtue of obscurity and the Unix platform) safer, and because of that there's no reason to not buy a Mac. And you can run Windows on it if you really want to, although spend a week getting used to OSX and I doubt you'll be using XP for anything except games.

You're paying a little more for a more integrated experience, truly. For a lot of people it's well worth the price of admission. The other thing you're paying for is the fact that, in my experience, Macs don't depreciate the same way PC laptops tend to. The best example I have is my first Mac. It's a 12" Powerbook G4 1GHz with 512MB of RAM. It's running the most up to date version of OSX and I can't justify buying a new laptop simply because mine doesn't feel like it needs an upgrade. It's not slow enough. And if I wanted to turn around a resell it, I could probably get anywhere from $600 to $750, looking at going prices on Ebay. You can't get that much for a four year old PC laptop, I'll wager.

With regards to Linux, OSX is a great Linux learning tool. I had to start learning Linux when I started this job (even though now I'm pretty much just the Windows admin) and being able to bring up a bash terminal in OSX meant that I could practice stuff in a similar environment at home. I'm still far from a Linux expert, but I'm much more comfortable at the command line now that I was able to force myself to use OSX that way for a while.

But again, it will take a little getting used to. Most Mac users around these parts will tell you that it's time well spent. I'll tell you that if you're unwilling to learn a whole new set of software (which in some cases is better and some cases not, but in almost all cases easier), then stick with Windows.
    Marlor wrote: »
    So, if you can get a cheap laptop locally, then that's the best bet. Just make sure you try it before you buy. Some cheaper laptops look nice in photographs, but are flimsy and poorly constructed in reality.

This is great advice. Always try to get hands on with a budget laptop so you can feel how well built it is before you buy it. Since it'll be taking quite a beating (even when you pamper it) the build quality is really important.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

edited November 2007
    I'm not going to lie, I will most probably try Blender and UnrealEditor on this for when I get bored in school. I know that those things run on the mac, but not well enough on the only mac I could possibly afford.
    (Also, 500€ is budget laptops, 900 is more midrange :p)

Burning Organ on