As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pin Presentation/Display solutions and pictures

• silrnsilrn Fairfax, VARegistered User regular
    I love that tree... now, I just want to know how you're going to explain that tree when it's April, and you haven't taken it down yet, cause it's too rad for words!

• misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    On November 1st Australian grocery stores moved all of their Halloween stock out and immediately replaced it with Christmas stock. We don't even celebrate Halloween here, they could have had Christmas stock out for months now.

• luckycharmluckycharm Perth, AURegistered User regular
    Yeah, and this strange country doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving! A holiday to stuff yourself silly.
    So I went from pax and pins to Christmas in no time at all.

• Rod.HRod.H Running from the Dropbears...Registered User regular
    Err, I know I've seen stores with Christmas stock on sale in July and stores with Halloween and Christmas displays in October, but it really took off on November 1st.
    Isn't Boxing Day our stuff yourself silly day? Mind you it's typically with the leftover turkey from the day before...

Still waiting to see if someone'd beat Dec 26-28 for Easter stock, as that's when I've seen Easter Eggs & hot cross buns start to appear.

• callmegarcallmegar Registered User regular
    I always struggle with pin inventory and quickly figuring out what I have available or not for trades, I also thought I could keep everything on displays but I'm running out of real state fast and the number of pins keeps growing so I needed a more sustainable solution, as a first step I re-organized a little bit, first I keep using my fish bait binder for my show and straight trades, I switched the pages from craft foam to pin pages. I can fit 100+ pins. These are the pins I have on pinnypals and the ones I would trade for sure if the offer is fair or even slightly disadvantageous to me.
    mgua0fyvm2nm.jpg
    cx34dtvmntbf.jpg

Then I got my second set, I put those on comic full-backs, and cover them with comic mylar bags (mylites), mainly to try to keep them as inert as possible. I ordered them by year and put them on a document tray, I can then see very quickly what is and what is not in my second set, I won't trade anything from here unless is for something I really, really need or the trade is very favorable to me. :P
    s4f78b78cpg1.jpg
    cfknkh1jodad.jpg

Last, for my main set, whatever is not on a poster-type display I put on acrylic drawers, it keeps them accessible and protected and I can keep stacking drawers whenever needed.
    5etstsduxdkf.jpg
    emt8xk0svpwl.jpg

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I finished my small display of my favorite pins.
    apyp4490j4wy.jpg

For the full process, see below:
    Step 1: I used some foam core board that I got at a second hand store to do a mock-up of what I wanted it to look like, then I could get the placement done in a way that I liked it without ruining the final version.
    857b2ssit0qb.jpg

Step 2: Measuring and cutting the black foam core board that the final version would be using. The 10"x10" piece of paper that came with the frame was my guide.
    l8usx132c6sf.jpg
    xb42rutre8vn.jpg
    giv09r9i3lc9.jpg

Step 3: The original mock-up board is thinner than the length of the pin posts, so all of them stuck through the other side. I lined this board up with my newly cut black one, and pushed the pin posts in to create "pilot holes" of sorts.
    7orucqpdrhvb.jpg

Step 4: I then used the white foam core board to cut out a matting, again using the 10"x10" paper as a guide.
    0ikvitcpysf0.jpg

Step 5: I finally cut out a 1.75" matte border to get the display to have the final result of the final product picture. Yes, a matte cutter was $100, but with all the artwork I've framed myself, it's been more than worth it.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • theoriginalztheoriginalz PhillyRegistered User regular
    I finally got 'most' of my collection on to a cork board. Couple empty spots for pins I'm actively looking for/own...
    I think I got most of them in chronological order.. Let me know if you see something out of place? CVCMJKyWIAAVdWH.jpg:large

Trade pins with me! Pinny LanyardjlB4Ded.png
  • luckycharmluckycharm Perth, AURegistered User regular
    @theoriginalz , double check your WoTC, pins, the Chandra's/Elizabeth are 2013. 4th row from the bottom.
    Very shiny collection!!

edited November 2015
    luckycharm wrote: »
    @theoriginalz , double check your WoTC, pins, the Chandra's/Elizabeth are 2013. 4th row from the bottom.
    Very shiny collection!!

They should be in right order, (couldn't remember if Chandra or elspeth came first). I put it in order of official Pinny and then partner Pinny.

Ideally everything will match the year, and I'm in the process of making a partner pinny poster akin to the official ones that i can chop up and have everything lined correctly.

theoriginalz on
  • NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    Daiso the Japanese everything is $2.80 store has these small flimsy but ok "do the job" cork boards which are nice for little displays! the pins do stick out the back but the frame extrudes a little so the pins don't push out when against the wall, its reversible as well in that u could use either side. Cheap and handy :D

h7vo80owutz4.jpg

Nefily wrote: »
    Daiso the Japanese everything is $2.80 store has these small flimsy but ok "do the job" cork boards which are nice for little displays! the pins do stick out the back but the frame extrudes a little so the pins don't push out when against the wall, its reversible as well in that u could use either side. Cheap and handy :D

h7vo80owutz4.jpg

Love the wotc exclusive pin collection!

edited December 2015
    Nefily wrote: »
    Daiso the Japanese everything is $2.80 store has these small flimsy but ok "do the job" cork boards which are nice for little displays!
    Dude that looks awesome, thanks for the tipoff. I'm going to raid a Daiso next time I head past one. What other things are they near/what area are they in? It's a bit of an unorganised store.

misskass on
  • NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    Near the stationary, I went to the cbd store and they where all stacked in these metal basket like shelves... haha sorry there was heaps of them tho,
    shoulda grabbed more!

• bravesaturnbravesaturn World's Best Entry Level Employee Registered User regular
    I posted this in Slack a few months back, but I wanted to post it here too. These are my pins from 2014 that weren't exclusive to a particular PAX.

j4d0nsdhyh1s.jpg

bad. ass.
    j4d0nsdhyh1s.jpg

@bravesaturn did you do anything crazy to determine spacing, or just eyeball it?

Pins for trade!
  • bravesaturnbravesaturn World's Best Entry Level Employee Registered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »
    @bravesaturn did you do anything crazy to determine spacing, or just eyeball it?

I handed Michaels my credit card and had them do the framing during one of their 70% sales. I'm not sure what kind of voodoo they used to align the pins - but if left to my own devices, I probably would have cobbled together graph paper to match the measurements of the matte. I would have determined a standard grid size for each pin (big enough for the largest pin in the display plus some extra for padding) and then put each pin squarely in each of those standard grid outlines. Finally I would have removed the pins, marked dots on the matte from where the pin holes were on the graph paper, and then placed the pins on the actual matte. I think that approach would have resulted in something similar to what I got back from Michael's, but I'm not sure. @hingo Your approach looks like it worked amazingly well. If I had tried my hypothetical process and failed, you would have been the first person I reached out to for help :biggrin:

tl;dr I am way too detail oriented to leave something to just my eyeballs! :o

Hingo wrote: »

I handed Michaels my credit card and had them do the framing during one of their 70% sales. I'm not sure what kind of voodoo they used to align the pins - but if left to my own devices, I probably would have cobbled together graph paper to match the measurements of the matte. I would have determined a standard grid size for each pin (big enough for the largest pin in the display plus some extra for padding) and then put each pin squarely in each of those standard grid outlines. Finally I would have removed the pins, marked dots on the matte from where the pin holes were on the graph paper, and then placed the pins on the actual matte. I think that approach would have resulted in something similar to what I got back from Michael's, but I'm not sure. @hingo Your approach looks like it worked amazingly well. If I had tried my hypothetical process and failed, you would have been the first person I reached out to for help :biggrin:

tl;dr I am way too detail oriented to leave something to just my eyeballs! :o

LOL, that's more or less exactly how I did mine, only I turned my foam core board into graph paper instead of just taping graph paper to it to save time.

Pins for trade!
  • dontdowditdontdowdit Registered User regular
    I started collecting random pins back when I was super young, and have suddenly decided to find them all and put them with my more recent pin collection. isrpx9sd4ze6.jpg

pkJUKrD.png
    Frame #2 is complete!

ba5easyp39ml.jpg

Frame #2 is complete!
    ba5easyp39ml.jpg

LOVE the colors on that CTS print. Great display, @bravesaturn !

Pins for trade!
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    dontdowdit wrote: »
    I started collecting random pins back when I was super young, and have suddenly decided to find them all and put them with my more recent pin collection.

Sort of want that AOL pin

• dontdowditdontdowdit Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Sort of want that AOL pin

I dont even know where that one came from.

dontdowdit on
    pkJUKrD.png
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Online from somewhere within America I would guess.

edited December 2015
    I decided to give the Daiso cork board a go
    015_zpsoq9w30ho.jpg
    It's a start, I probably grabbed a too large of a board and may or may not continue with it, but it provides a quick indicator of some of my collection holes.

Rod.H on
  • RaynerRayner Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'll have to have a look at my local Diaso for something like that... not that I need an excuse to spend my money at Diaso...
    BTW, in case people don't know, Diaso has... fluid(?) stock... as in, they don't have regular stock, they get what they get, and they put it out... so once the cork boards are gone, they may not get any more in... or they may get them back in 6 months or a year... they never know.

• surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    with the addition of the Christmas 2015 set, my "Pinny Arcade: The First Three Years" display is complete! it's just Penny Arcade/first party pins, and not every pin at that (I don't have any Aus pins, for example), but I'm happy with it!

http://i.imgur.com/Lu144XL.jpg

and for those keeping track at home/curious how it has evolved, this is the updated/finished version of this display I posted about a year ago:
    surette wrote: »
    finally got a shadowbox for my collection!

http://i.imgur.com/IrsYNqx.jpg

surette on
  • KingPin1KingPin1 Hardcore Casual Pin Trader Seattle WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If anyone's interested, finally took a pic of my set up, no frames for my pins, but good alternative for folders, also hold alot of other pa merch/junk

http://s13.postimg.org/sazea9cfr/DSC_0087.jpg

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • CrazyspacemanCrazyspaceman Registered User regular
    Found a frame on sale and made a thing.
    XjY81za.jpg

Slowly, filling the board up.
    005_zpsamgqtimt.jpg

• agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Finally got this sucker framed! Now on to 2014. I really hope they do a file up that we can print out for 2015 at the very least.

ublljqycmgek.jpg

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I ended up buying one I only found at the last store, in between the smallest and biggest sizes:

tJsSLg0.jpg

Could probably only fit a set or two of pins into it, but it will be a good test to see what I have to do to set up a bigger one. Next stop is to buy some of that pinboard stuff I saw at Bunnings a while back.

So for anyone wondering what that's looking like:

I grabbed a sheet of this 9mm acoustic pinboard from Bunnings for $20.

Srb8Ejf.jpg

I used the back of the frame to mark a square to cut out of it at the right size.

X1VJU7m.jpg

I then used some spray adhesive to stick some black felt to the front of it. I originally folded the edges over the back and glued them down, but then it didn't fit into the frame, so I had to cut it off and only have it on the front.

Oun9H6r.jpg

I wanted to see about how many pins I could get into a frame this size so I thought I might as well try my newly collected staff/hobby pins.

A8lAidP.jpg

This is without the glass in, as I have to glue that to the front of the frame. I pulled the staples out that hold in the backing board, and I still have to buy a thicker piece of wood to put the pinboard on. Probably going to put some hinges on it for easier access.

So it seems I made that post over a year ago back at the end of 2014, BUT I FINALLY FINISHED IT GUYS!

dCmrh15m.jpg MIJ4LILm.jpg

I kept putting it off because I had to make a custom back for the frame and paint it, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:

X511JYol.jpg

No your eyes aren't deceiving you; those screws?

Countersunk.

@fishfishmonkeyhat did you use any adhesive to stick the pins down, or just pin them in and hope they don't move?

Pins for trade!
    edited January 2016
    Just pushed them in. Some are more loose than others, but if I don't shake it around too much while I'm screwing the back on they're fine.

I actually took it apart and straighten some of them (Khoo, Jamie) after I took the pics.

EDIT:

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Capt WasabiCapt Wasabi AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So (Ignoring this Triad War pin)
    I finally completed my collection.
    This is every pin (Not including all the year variants) all together in one photo.
    I'm told when you complete your collection PA sends you a power ring. (I may have made that up)
    4mz6stssaggv.jpg

Edit: Whoops forgot about the KI pins - They live in their folder.

qt9m2qfiye9o.jpg

Capt Wasabi on
  • agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Now I'm keen to do the poster for 2014. I have scoured my house but canna find it captain, so I'm putting a call out, does anyone have a Pinny Arcade 2014 Poster they'd be willing to trade for something please?

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • mikegmi2mikegmi2 Registered User regular
    s6mkjdsrdyqo.jpg
    umib794ltpd8.jpg
    judcvsbo3mrs.jpg
    evc51ncp6rtp.jpg
    sldhiuhqssf3.jpg
    kusvnjv4t8x9.jpg
    Being the pin binders are sold out I decided to make my own. Started out with some thicker gray vinyl for the cover and thinner black vinyl with 2mm foam as the pages. Had a work friend do the stitching on the cover (we have sewing machines at work) and I cut out the pages by hand. Punched holes in the pages using a template, cut slits in the cover to match the hole placements (3x the diameter of whatever string you use for the binding), then did a Japanese 4 hole binding weave to finish it. I'd like to get a Pinny Arcade patch or something to sew to the cover, and will probably add patches, etc, as I go on...as it's plain as is.

edited January 2016
    mikegmi2 wrote: »
    I'd like to get a Pinny Arcade patch or something to sew to the cover, and will probably add patches, etc, as I go on...as it's plain as is.
    If you're looking for an Aus 2015 patch I've still got 50+ of them /nudge nudge

misskass on
    /wink wink