As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2016 Challenge Coin Thread] See you all next year!

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    I've never been much for the design phase, but I'll definitely order one if made!

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am bad at art, I spent my lunch break trying to mock up that crane game idea with MS Paint, the results bring dishonor to us all.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Glad to see this started again, and also that you're heading it up. You did a great job last year.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    edited November 2015
    zerzhul wrote: »
    While fallout would be fun, it might draw the ire of Bethesda if anything too iconic was used. Just a thought.
    Well, we could use something that Fallout 4 uses, but it's really a Boston iconic structure. What about the Bunker Hill Monument, but in a broken up style that they used in Fallout 4? Our monument. Their idea of making it look broken. Just make it broken in a different way.

Le_Goat on
    Yeah, I actually like Bunker Hill/The ruins there-of more than Fenway Park, the laters defining characteristic seems to be the color green..

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I created a few blank coin images from the South Coin thread. Hopefully they will be helpful :)

Front (Boston) side:
    cmkm8fyskxft.png
    Back (Theme) side:
    jp4m3kqn67gm.png

Some Mock ups ---

Boston side - Bunker Hill Monument:
    pj4wbgv90waa.png
    (Image Source http://www.celebrateboston.com/image/sites/bunker-hill-monument.jpg )

Boston side - MBTA Bus (With PAX East logo on side of bus):
    ylj1v05rdpam.png
    (Image Source https://www.flickr.com/photos/masstravel/9065552443 )

Boston side - Fenway Park:
    5m9tlr9w43qj.png
    Will most likely have to remove/replace some logos :) Also given the way that the MLB treated a simple Fallout 4 mod that added Big Papi and the Red Sox uniform I would be hesitant on using anything MLB themed :surprised:

Boston side - Fenway Park (Ver 2):
    bk4d7mcgheor.png

Theme side - VR theme:
    txf6gdha8pvi.png
    I was thinking adding like some sort of "swirl effect" around him with iconic game objects floating around him like Mario 1-up shrooms, gaming dice, Sonic coins stuff like that. Just not sure if my Photoshop skills (I use Gimp because well .. free) are capable of that :)

Please do not be afraid of giving any feedback. Good or bad, I can take it :)
    Also any suggestions or ideas that you may have please post them.

Edit .. added Spoilers because images.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    nice mockups!

note that we can't use any official logos. personally i'm not a fan of the bus as an idea as it's a city bus, which looks like a city bus pretty much everywhere.

i'm cool with bunker hill or fenway, personally, as subtle hints towards iconic boston locations featured in fallout 4, but i'm not a big fan of altering them into post-apocalyptic versions, as that's not what we've done in the past and will be weird when placed next to coins from previous/future years.

if we do bunker hill we can probably zoom in just a bit more than that lovely example.

ilta on
    edited November 2015
    ilta wrote: »
    nice mockups!

note that we can't use any official logos. personally i'm not a fan of the bus as an idea as it's a city bus, which looks like a city bus pretty much everywhere.

i'm cool with bunker hill or fenway, personally, as subtle hints towards iconic boston locations featured in fallout 4, but i'm not a big fan of altering them into post-apocalyptic versions, as that's not what we've done in the past and will be weird when placed next to coins from previous/future years.

if we do bunker hill we can probably zoom in just a bit more than that lovely example.

Yeah I know using the bus may be pushing it with the logo stuff but the image was set as "Free to use" under Creative Commons :)

And while it may look like a city bus from pretty much anywhere if you are from Boston you recognized it right away :)

I added a Fenway Park coin to my post.

Here is Bunker Hill zoomed in:
    esdxwhc9sfbd.png
    Can't really zoom in much more without losing some of the other parts of the image.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am good with fenway or bunker hill. I know a lot of people were pining for fenway for a long time, so maybe it's time to give it its due

• OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    I also agree with Fenway. My store manager grew up in Boston, and when I told him I was visiting the city for the second time, he told me to visit Fenway Park. It seems like a very important landmark in Boston and just makes sense on the coin.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I am fine with Fenway.

• quikblendquikblend CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I think fenway works also. im excited for this!

edited November 2015
    I'm with the others on using Fenway Park as the Boston side of the coin.

Here is another version from the original one I posted earlier. It is a slightly different angle with players on the field. I also edited/changed any logos.
    0b18gvl7823j.png

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I've lived in Mass my whole life, Boston for 5, greater Boston for 3, and Boston suburbs now for 3 more. Fenway is definitely a universally known symbol for Boston. From outside Boston it's a part of the city you get to see multiple times a week all through baseball season and even outside of baseball season. Inside the city it is a place people go to on the regular. It, and the surrounding streets are a center of the city for restaurants, shopping, site seeing, concerts, bars, movie theaters, and all manner of commerce. Heck I saw the first iron man movie about a block from Fenway. It definitely deserves to be used as a symbol for the city, and this year seems like a perfect year to use it.

Though for a future coin the t symbol would be awesome. Its just a big block t in a circle, so it is perfect for the back of a coin. Even better if you can get the pattern for the old t tokens!

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    yea if its fenway i def will get a coin this year

Here is a theme side with the Claw Machine mentioned earlier in the post.
    bbbt3fcz1l8n.png

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Hey @Sepioth, as a thought for the Fenway back, is there a way to use one of the aerial shots of Fenway that're fairly well known? Something like this?

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    gigabrain wrote: »
    Hey @Sepioth, as a thought for the Fenway back, is there a way to use one of the aerial shots of Fenway that're fairly well known? Something like this?

Got any closer ones from the angle seeing the green monster, coke bottle, and citgo sign? Those are really the identifiable marks on Fenway. I get that some of those would need to be scrubbed of the actual logos but even the proper outline for the bottle and the citgo sign are kind of required.

Sleep wrote: »

Got any closer ones from the angle seeing the green monster, coke bottle, and citgo sign? Those are really the identifiable marks on Fenway. I get that some of those would need to be scrubbed of the actual logos but even the proper outline for the bottle and the citgo sign are kind of required.

Best I can find with a quick search at work is This image from 2012..

I do agree that the Citgo sign should be there in some way, even if it's just a generic "neon billboard with a triangle"

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    I'm really liking the Fenway Park idea over Bunker Hill for this year. The coins are always one of my favorite collectibles from Pax :)

0j92muX.png
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Best I can find with a quick search at work is This image from 2012..

I do agree that the Citgo sign should be there in some way, even if it's just a generic "neon billboard with a triangle"

personally like the other one u posted more then this I think this is zoomed to far out were the other one was all about fenway

I have a friend who for years worked in photography inside Fenway Park. He's take a ton of amazing shots through the years. Do you want me to reach out to him to see what he may have to offer?

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I concur with the use of Fenway Park for the Boston side, although you could use St Botolph's Church instead. Oh wait no, that's from the original Boston, my bad!

With respect to the other side, I actually like the idea of a VR related image as that's where gaming is going in many respects.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited November 2015
    I thought about the aerial views of Fenway but the issue for me was they where to far away. While they would look great as framed art work on a wall .. trying to fit that much into a small coin will cause a great loss of details.

Using the picture I used in the coin I posted about 7 or so posts above allowed you to see the park as well as the Green Monster, Scoreboard, Citgo Sign (which I edited and made the triangle upside down) and the Coke bottle (Which where not present in that photo but can easily be added).

Something i was thinking when changing the Citgo logo though was if we make it to big and have to change it because of copyrights it would look kinda silly if it was not the real thing and so noticeable on the coin. With the mock up above the Citgo sign is there and even though the triangle is upside down it's not to noticeable and silly looking.

I have another idea on using Fenway that I want to try and see if I can create that takes the elements of Fenway and kinda puts them all together is somewhat of a collage.

So from the voices in here so far it appears that Fenway is most likely going to be the Boston side of the coin. And honestly makes sense to me.

As far as the other side we have the Claw Game and VR. I created mock ups of each but they definitely need more in them. I will continue to work on ideas with these two themes to see what I can come up with.

@Le_Goat :
    Yeah if your friend has any good photos that he is willing to share that you think would look great on a coin please post them here (or PM me if he does not want his work posted here. I promise to keep them to myself :biggrin: ). It would be nice to see some of the photos he got to take :)

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    The Citgo logo is something I didn't think about. I don't think there would be an issue with it being on the coin. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the coin is not a for profit item is it? If not, a quick search of free fenway images turns up tons of different images with the logo in it. I'm no copyright lawyer, but with that many pictures of it from almost every conceivable angle available, I doubt it would be a problem. I did a Google search of "Can you sell images of Fenway Park with the Citgo logo in it" but it didn't turn up anything useful. Are there any PAX attendees that are lawyers and could shed some light on this?

So much going on in the thread, I love it!
    I'm still around, I'm just staying out of the way of the brainstorming.
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    the coin is not a for profit item is it?
    We're having the coins printed by a for profit company, and generally speaking, you need to say "I have the legal rights to print all the things in this image, and to give you permission to make money off these images."
    So it's best to tread carefully, especially with companies that like to sick lawyers on people for using their brands.

Does anyone have a strong opinion on adding color to the coin to make the wall green? It would likely make the coins cost a bit more.
    Colors have generally been smacked down pretty hard on past coins.

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I like color but obviously we need to see what it does to the pricing. We could finalize a design, and then request a quote with and without color.

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    I'd personally prefer not to have color, if only because the previous PAX East coins also don't have color. Consistency!

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
    edited December 2015
    Xenigma wrote: »
    I'd personally prefer not to have color, if only because the previous PAX East coins also don't have color. Consistency!

I agree with this. This will be my fourth PAX coin and I plan to grow my collection even further, so it would be nice to stay with no color added. This is a democratic process, though, so I'll go with whatever the rest of our fine group of folks decides on.

OysterPrime on

PAX East 2016:
    I also vote no on the use of color.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    +1 vote for no color. I'm partial to the claw game idea for gaming side. It's a long term staple that's already been established. While VR is cool, it doesn't really have that deep of a hold yet and could still turn out to just be a brief trend. If it's still a big deal in a few years I'd be more open to it.

See, like I said, color gets smacked down pretty hard!

The only iconic VR-ish image I can think of is a Holodeck with Arch.. Current VR tech, to the best of my knowledge, lacks any iconic piece of hardware that would be as easy to recognize as a PS2 controller, Gameboy, D20, or the like.

Sepioth wrote: »
    I thought about the aerial views of Fenway but the issue for me was they where to far away. While they would look great as framed art work on a wall .. trying to fit that much into a small coin will cause a great loss of details.

Using the picture I used in the coin I posted about 7 or so posts above allowed you to see the park as well as the Green Monster, Scoreboard, Citgo Sign (which I edited and made the triangle upside down) and the Coke bottle (Which where not present in that photo but can easily be added).

Something i was thinking when changing the Citgo logo though was if we make it to big and have to change it because of copyrights it would look kinda silly if it was not the real thing and so noticeable on the coin. With the mock up above the Citgo sign is there and even though the triangle is upside down it's not to noticeable and silly looking.

I have another idea on using Fenway that I want to try and see if I can create that takes the elements of Fenway and kinda puts them all together is somewhat of a collage.

So from the voices in here so far it appears that Fenway is most likely going to be the Boston side of the coin. And honestly makes sense to me.

As far as the other side we have the Claw Game and VR. I created mock ups of each but they definitely need more in them. I will continue to work on ideas with these two themes to see what I can come up with.

@Le_Goat :
    Yeah if your friend has any good photos that he is willing to share that you think would look great on a coin please post them here (or PM me if he does not want his work posted here. I promise to keep them to myself :biggrin: ). It would be nice to see some of the photos he got to take :)

Dude if we are replacing the citgo symbol, which really we should probably do exactly that, you should make the symbol on it a baseball diamond

SutibunRi wrote: »

The only iconic VR-ish image I can think of is a Holodeck with Arch.. Current VR tech, to the best of my knowledge, lacks any iconic piece of hardware that would be as easy to recognize as a PS2 controller, Gameboy, D20, or the like.

You could make it someone with a set of vr goggle's on, but who would we make it be wearing the vr helmet... Or you could do a virtua boy!

edited December 2015
    It was brought to my attention that a few things I was doing was different than current traditions for the coin. So to keep with PAX East traditions I have made a few changes to the coins.
    1. The coins are now silver.
    2. The Landmark side of the coin has had the outer ring removed. The image now takes up the whole coin.

So Here are the new designs I have come up with.

Landmark Side:
      Bunker Hill Monument (Date needs to be flipped):
      vson1achsmvy.png

MBTA Bus (With PAX East on side):
      hqwjofsrx8xo.png

Fenway Park (Slightly edited Citgo sign and I added "Coke" bottles):
      jhnwccyzmrw5.png

Theme Side:
      VR Dude:
      imcpbwnveurb.png

Claw Machine:
      4j83zim4lanq.png

Claw Machine (Front Controls):
      laf8z7tcn5ic.png

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    edited December 2015
    SutibunRi wrote: »

Like Xenigma said, it's all about consistency at this point. If the coin started with color then I would want all of them to include it. Also, I don't know how much color adds to the cost but I'm sure excluding it keeps the coin affordable for people, especially for those that order several.

Maybe there will be a point where a one-off coin will be made for something special that can include color.

OysterPrime on

PAX East 2016:
    I'm fine with either way, I just see more challenge coins with color nowadays and it looks nice as it does on our awesome tankards from this year. Lower price is good for me as well as I buy them in quantity for friends. :-)

I'll be honest, I could go either way with the color. I see where color could definitely come into play this year with Fenway being the back of the coin, however the tradition of a clean, metal coin has its appeal as well.

It might be worth going with @OysterPrime's idea of a second coin that has color and offer that on a limited basis as well for those who want to add that to their collection.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I vote no color as well, both due to consistency and just personally not liking how color looks on most challenge coins.

Maybe for the claw machine, instead of the whole cabinet we could do something zoomed in to show the claw picking up a game-related prize, with other generic non-copywrite-infringing toys there as well?

I'm not a graphic design person AT ALL, but I made an attempt.
    7uxwe0c40rms.png

UyhWici.png
    @ironysparkles that is almost exactly what I saw in my head when I'd made the suggestion. (I always forget pokeballs)
    Your attempt is magnitudes better than what I'd managed before giving up.