As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Got the Turkey Day stream on the big TV in the livingroom. Fuck football. MST3K is a Turkey Day classic.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The new voices for the cast:

Crow sounds great.
    I have a hard time differentiating Servo and that Jonah guy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    that little ukulele song about bringing back MST3K on the Turkey Day marathon was great.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    They've broken 3 million. They're trying to reach the 3.3 million goal by midnight, but I don't know if they'll make it.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Midnight in what time zone? Central?

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Not sure. The Turkey Day times were advertised as Eastern, so I'm guessing that.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm pretty confident they'll get to 6 episodes by campaign's end but I don't see it going further than that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm pretty confident they'll get to 6 episodes by campaign's end but I don't see it going further than that.

I think they'll break the 4.4 mark. Successful kickstarters usually have a huge last-minute push.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    I hope you're right. I'd love 9 episodes, it would feel a lot more like a proper season than 3 or 6.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You also have to remember that they are doing non-Kickstarter sales, too. Things like $4.99/episode of classic MST and $149 for 87 episodes. It won't be a huge amount, but it counts towards the goals and isn't published on the KS page. If they very nearly get to the 9-episode threshold, that might be enough to push it over the edge.

Also, it's possible they'll get picked up by someone and get to do more episodes with, say, Netflix or Hulu footing the bill.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Joel said that they earned about 85,000 on those sales as of sunday. They won't show up on the total though.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Just announced that Patton Oswalt is going to be "TV's Son of TV's Frank". So that happened.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Just announced that Patton Oswalt is going to be "TV's Son of TV's Frank". So that happened.

I have mixed feelings. I think he's probably a good pick and does actually look like he could be related to Frank. On the other hand Oswalt is a garbage person and kind of a twit on social media.

• Options
    They hit 3.3 mil, so that's six episodes in the bank

• Options
    4.4 is looking like it definitely is a lock before the end. But getting 12 episodes looks like it'll take a miracle.

• Options
    I dunno, there's almost always a huge rush at the end of these things.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Just getting as far as he has with this should be enough to prove to whatever execs Joel has been talking with that the show still has legs. People will watch it and that there's enough demand to go around to everyone. I mean, I'm not giving up my RiffTrax just because the old show is back in a new form. I'll be watching both. And as soon as someone brings Cinematic Titanic to KC I'll be getting in on that as well. Because I think that has to be what most of those cloistered idiots think. That parody and commentary is a small market. That the old show was and will remain a cult hit.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I have mixed feelings. I think he's probably a good pick and does actually look like he could be related to Frank. On the other hand Oswalt is a garbage person and kind of a twit on social media.

Wait what? I've heard nothing but good things about Patton Oswalt. What makes him a garbage person?

• Options
    Joel posted an update today explaining how the writing staff is gonna work, as well as some people they're going to have over to guest write for this season:
    • Dan Harmon
    • Justin Roiland
    • Rob Schrab
    • Ernie Cline
    • Pat Rothfuss
    • Paul & Storm
    • Dana Gould
    • Robert Lopez

And a bunch more info about the rewards and such. They're basically on their final stretch to the end now.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Daaaamn that's a good list of writers.
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Wait what? I've heard nothing but good things about Patton Oswalt. What makes him a garbage person?

His personality on Twitter.

He's a great standup and a good actor but it's hard to enjoy him knowing what he's like there.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Daaaamn that's a good list of writers.

His personality on Twitter.

He's a great standup and a good actor but it's hard to enjoy him knowing what he's like there.

My limited experience with him on Twitter is giving jerks and racists a lot of shit. He's very socially conscious and also very political. Personally I've found his tweets pretty hilarious too, speaking specifically about his categorizing of the GOP debate participants as DND characters. I understand why that might make you not want to follow him, but "a garbage person" seems a bit extreme.

• Options
    Go read up on his big strawman rant on the PC police (seriously like 50+ tweets). The guy honestly can't seem to wrap his head around how insensitive language might be harmful, or how giving offensive material aimed at minorities a free pass legitimizes it.

It's just one example, and it's not going to keep me from watching the show or anything. I just think he's more concerned about getting to say whatever he wants without having to worry about offending people than he is about the people who are hurt in very real ways by the normalization and acceptance of insensitivity and microaggression.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I get where he's coming from when he says that no topic should be off limits in comedy, but his approach of getting angry at backlash when a shitty comedian tells a bad joke and attacking "SJW"s sounds a lot like the reactionaries who encourage non-comedy offensive speech. He may not realize he's doing it but welp.

• Options
    Go read up on his big strawman rant on the PC police (seriously like 50+ tweets). The guy honestly can't seem to wrap his head around how insensitive language might be harmful, or how giving offensive material aimed at minorities a free pass legitimizes it.

It's just one example, and it's not going to keep me from watching the show or anything. I just think he's more concerned about getting to say whatever he wants without having to worry about offending people than he is about the people who are hurt in very real ways by the normalization and acceptance of insensitivity and microaggression.

Uh, I'm googling but not finding anything I actually disagree with. He's a comedian, saying potentially offensive/funny things is what he does. This is the US, where he should be allowed to "say whatever he wants without having to worry about offending people." There's literally an amendment that lets him do that. I disagree with people who say there are some subjects you shouldn't joke about ever at all in any capacity. If handled correctly, anything can be made into a joke. But comedy should also encourage people to laugh with one another, not at each other in an offensive way.

Although I think everyone can agree that writing an essay on Twitter is horrible. Don't write 50 tweets to get out one message holy crap.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Uh, I'm googling but not finding anything I actually disagree with. He's a comedian, saying potentially offensive/funny things is what he does. This is the US, where he should be allowed to "say whatever he wants without having to worry about offending people." There's literally an amendment that lets him do that. I disagree with people who say there are some subjects you shouldn't joke about ever at all in any capacity. If handled correctly, anything can be made into a joke. But comedy should also encourage people to laugh with one another, not at each other in an offensive way.

Although I think everyone can agree that writing an essay on Twitter is horrible. Don't write 50 tweets to get out one message holy crap.

That's not what the 1st amendment does...

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So given the creators of Rick & Morty are signed on as guest writers, and it's been revealed that Pendleton Ward will be showing up during the countdown thingy (as will Justin Roiland who is signed on as a Guest Writer), I wonder if he's slated to show up as a "Guest Appearance" (which they mentioned is being announced tomorrow I think?)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Damn, that and Paul Chapin coming back makes me really really excited about this

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

That's not what the 1st amendment does...

Freedom of Speech is protected by the 1st amendment in the US. His ability to say whatever he wants on twitter without getting arrested by the government is protected by the 1st amendment. Thus, he can say whatever he wants without having to worry about terrible consequences from making a joke about something. Sure, other people can be offended, but he doesn't have to worry about it because they can't do anything just because they're offended. But you're right, it can't prevent people from being offended. I just don't think it makes him "a garbage person" for wanting to be able to joke about whatever. Was there a specific instance where he mocked something and someone got upset? There are cases of that where the person mocking did it insensitively and ruined it, and cases where people are way too uptight about stuff that is clearly a joke. I haven't seen Patton Oswalt doing anything that might hurt people "in very real ways by the normalization and acceptance of insensitivity and microaggression." Hell I see Patton most making fun of the GOP!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The problem is that he often rants against the people getting offended in the first place. As if a comedian has a free speech right to tell shitty jokes but people who think those jokes are shitty aren't allowed to respond with their own free speech. It's hypocritical. He sees being "PC" as an egregious blow against people's right to say whatever they want, instead of it actually being empathetic to other people's feelings on sensitive issues. I can say whatever I want and if your feelings get hurt then tough shit, i'm the only one who matters in this equation.

• Options
    Anyway I've said all I wanna say about Patton Oswalt, my personal feelings on him aside I am excited for this show's return.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    The problem is that he often rants against the people getting offended in the first place. As if a comedian has a free speech right to tell shitty jokes but people who think those jokes are shitty aren't allowed to respond with their own free speech. It's hypocritical. He sees being "PC" as an egregious blow against people's right to say whatever they want, instead of it actually being empathetic to other people's feelings on sensitive issues. I can say whatever I want and if your feelings get hurt then tough shit, i'm the only one who matters in this equation.

I have not seen this myself with Oswalt, but I'd agree. You can say whatever you want, but people are allowed to respond! Free speech is for everyone, not just the people who shout the loudest.

And agreed, I am psyched to see MST3K back and hope it is as good as it used to be.

• Options
    All I'll say is that if I let celebrities' political views or the stupid shit they say on twitter determine who I watch/enjoy, I probably would eventually run out of celebrities to watch/enjoy :P They have a bad tendency to say stupid shit :P Easier to just ignore the dumbness if they are otherwise funny/entertaining.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    50 hours to go. I'm totally jazzed that we are getting 9 new 'sodes, definitely getting a lot of value for my contribution there. Really hope they get to 12 though. Enough for them to get into their groove and start spinning gold.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure $4M is going to be enough to get some bigwig to take notice. It doesn't seem like a lot, but that's money raised exclusively by fans, not out of a corporate bank account. There's clear demand for this show. The only other Kickstarter for a TV show that's done better than this is Veronica Mars.

• Options
    Joel announced some of the artists that will be helping them out: including Pendelton Ward, Rebecca Sugar, and a ton of others. Also Adam Savage

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    That commentary on twilight cracked me up. I can't wait for the new episodes.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure $4M is going to be enough to get some bigwig to take notice. It doesn't seem like a lot, but that's money raised exclusively by fans, not out of a corporate bank account. There's clear demand for this show. The only other Kickstarter for a TV show that's done better than this is Veronica Mars.

Unfortunately that's unlikely to happen. MST3K is in the "Firefly zone" where the fans are passionate and vocal but less numerous than the volume of their voice might imply. If you were to graph it out there is a steep dropoff from those who like it to those with no interest at all. It just doesn't have a really wide appeal.

• Options
    Apostate wrote: »

Unfortunately that's unlikely to happen. MST3K is in the "Firefly zone" where the fans are passionate and vocal but less numerous than the volume of their voice might imply. If you were to graph it out there is a steep dropoff from those who like it to those with no interest at all. It just doesn't have a really wide appeal.

I disagree with this. I mean, for one the show is nearly 15 years off the air at this point, so it's obvious there is going to be a gap of people who aren't familiar with it. Secondly, it's an extremely cheap show to make, so it's not like the most likely high budget SFX-heavy episodes of Firefly. I mean, it's understandable that executives don't want to spend that much on a semi-niche show. But MST3K might make more sense given the low cost and built-in fanbase.

• Options
    Especially streaming services who already have teams dedicated to getting the rights to show things anyway.

• Options
    MST3K seems like a perfect fit for Netflix.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg