As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Iron Banner: Game of the Year Edition

GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles PaesanoRegistered User regular
edited December 2015 in Games and Technology
We called it the Traveler, and its arrival changed us forever. Great cities were built on Mars and Venus; Mercury became a garden world. Human lifespan tripled. It was a time of miracles. We stared out at the galaxy and knew that it was our Destiny to walk in the light of other stars.

But the Traveler had an enemy. A Darkness - which had hunted it for eons, across the black gulfs of space, centuries after our Golden Age began. This Darkness... found us. And that was the end of everything.

That is, until Peter Dinklage Nolan North found you, Guardian!

7wqy627to2qz.jpg

Destiny: Penny Arcade G&T Saves the Universe and Everything in It is an online multiplayer action role-playing sci-fi-fantasy *deep breath* first-person shooter for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 and the first title in a proposed 10-year, zillion-dollar franchise from Bungie and Activision. It’s MMO-like – think gear, skill trees, leveling up, and party play – with an emphasis on exploration and discovery. As of September 15, 2015, we have entered Year Two of Destiny, which has ushered in a host of new content, quality of life changes, UI improvements, weapon balance tweaks, and whole new ways to play. At its core, Destiny is still a cooperative role-playing FPS with levels and rep to grind and new and exciting gear and weapons to seek out. But it's getting a whole lot bigger with version 2.0 and its biggest expansion yet, The Taken King.

Still relevant: The game is set in our own solar system, 700 years in the future, following a prosperous period of exploration and colonization ushered in by the arrival of the “Traveler,” a mysterious celestial body (pictured above). The Golden Age came to an abrupt end as a result of a momentous event called “the Collapse,” a calamity that wiped out human colonies everywhere. Humanity has retreated to the Last City on Earth, our shared home and the launching point for our journey back to the stars, and from within its walls, we have begun to rebuild. We have begun to fight back. But even as we stand tall, our Light visible in the canyons and craters of far-off worlds, blinding our enemies with its brilliance, the Darkness threatens to close in around us. And everything we know about our enemy is about to change.

destiny-the-taken-king-listing-thumb-01-us-16jun15?$Icon$

The Taken King

In Year One of Destiny, we the Wise and Noble Guardians of Pax Arcadia traveled through space and time in defense of Human, Awoken, and Exo, rising to meet every challenge and ultimately emerging from a year's worth of adventures bearing the spoils of war and the bounty of exotic weapons, sturdy and stylish armor, fortune, and fame. Today, the Tower stands because of the bravery and sacrifice of our ranks. Our legend is known far and wide across the bloodied fields of the Crucible. We have earned the favor of the Queen and now protect her Reef from those who would tear it apart.

At times, our successes seemed inevitable, almost routine. We traveled backward and forward through time; we crushed our foes underfoot in encounter after encounter; we destroyed the heart of a god - more than once. But we faced trials as well, true challenges that required complete cooperation and tested our limits, especially when we plunged into the depths of the Dark Below and stood face-to-hideous-face with Crota, Hive Prince and Son of Oryx. In time, he fell like the rest. We took his wretched, cursed husk and held it aloft as a trophy.

Now a deeper Darkness stirs. From the shadows beyond, Oryx himself has learned of our triumph, and he will not abide our insolence, our courage - our Legend. He is assembling a mysterious, twisted force that he plans to unleash upon our world. It is our duty to stop him. Prepare yourselves, Arcadians: the Taken King comes for us all.

destiny-thetakenking-screen-04-us-15jun15?$TwoColumn_Media$

Join the ranks of Pax Arcadia! Our clan is on both systems!
(and with the new firmware, we now have a PS4 Community!)

oys3p1lw64ty.png

We've assembled a Bungie.net group - and within that group, a PlayStation clan and an Xbox clan - so that PA G&Ters can play together. We're Pax Arcadia, and we're currently making our way through endgame content and crushing the Crucible in six-man fireteams on a nightly basis!

Edit (Sept. 22, 2015): We presently have room in the PA clan on Xbox One, but we're full up at the 100-person cap on the PS4 side for both PA and PA2. That being said, we're typically cycling people out for inactivity lasting over six months and spots tend to open up very frequently! Follow the instructions below!

To join:
1. Send @GMaster7 (on the PS side) or @ObiFett (on the Xbox side) - or preferably, both - a PM, letting us know that you're joining the group(s) and applying to the clan.
2. Join the Bungie.net group for Pax Arcadia (right here, at this link). If necessary, you can hit up the group for Pax Arcadia II (right here), either instead or in addition, and join that, too. You don't need admin approval to join the groups.
3. Once you're in one or both Bungie.net groups, click "Set as PlayStation Clan" in the banner if you're on PS3/PS4 or "Set as Xbox Clan" in Pax Arcadia's banner if you're on 360/XB1 to officially request admission to that group's respective clan (either PA or PA2). If you're on PSN, you'll probably need to apply to PA2, the overflow clan. If you're on Xbox, you can apply to PA and don't need to mess with PA2.
4. Add yourself to the Pax Arcadia Mega-Roster that we've created to keep track of membership. Use the tabs at the bottom to select your console, and put yourself at the bottom of your tab's list. We'll bump you up to your proper alphabetical placement.
5. If you've sent us a PM and added yourself to the Mega-Roster, we'll accept you as soon as we can.
6. Friend some PAers, hop online, and take to the skies in the name of Pax Arcadia!

Find teammates with The100.io!

If you're looking for teammates for any activity, check out PA's console-specific groups on The100.io, right here:
•Pax Arcadia - Xbox One: https://www.the100.io/groups/1397
•Pax Arcadia - Xbox 360: https://www.the100.io/groups/1398
•Pax Arcadia - PS4: https://www.the100.io/groups/1226

Keeping Track of Things

Guide for anyone getting back into the game, courtesy of reddit and shared with the thread by @Erevar

Destiny Item Manager: Use this Chrome extension to move items between characters and keep track of your gear and inventory! Has more functionality than Bungie.net and is super useful: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/destiny-item-manager/apghicjnekejhfancbkahkhdckhdagna?hl=en

Track your stats - everything you might ever want to know - here: http://www.destinytracker.com

Year Two Emblem Codes from TTK Collector's Edition (codes still being cracked):
3VF-LGC-RLX (Insula Thesauraria)
Redeem Here

Year One Shaders, Emblems, and Grimoire Codes:
Redeem here: http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption

YKA-RJG-MH9 (Grimoire: Warlock)
3DA-P4X-F6A (Grimoire: Titan)
MVD-4N3-NKH (Grimoire: Hunter)
TCN-HCD-TGY (Grimoire: Rixis)
HDX-ALM-V4K (Grimoire: Old Russia)
473-MXR-3X9 (Grimoire: Hive)
JMR-LFN-4A3 (Grimoire: Moon)
HC3-H44-DKC (Grimoire: Gjallorhorn)
69P-KRM-JJA (Grimoire: Duke MK.44)
69P-VCH-337 (Grimoire: The Tower)
69R-CKD-X7L (Grimoire: Ogre)
69R-DDD-FCP (Grimoire: Valley of the Kings, Mars)
69R-F99-AXG (Grimoire: The Fallen)
69R-VL7-J6A (Grimoire: Red Death)
69X-DJN-74V (Grimoire: The Cabal)
6A7-7NP-3X7 (Grimoire: The Devastated Coast)
6A9-DTG-YGN (Grimoire: Vex Minotaur)
7F9-767-F74 (Emblem: Sign of the Finite)
FJ9-LAM-67F (Emblem: Binding Focus)
JD7-4CM-HJG (Emblem: Illusion of Light)
JDT-NLC-JKM (Emblem: Ab Aeterno)
JNX-DMH-XLA (Emblem: Field of Light)
7CP-94V-LFP (Emblem: Lone Focus, Jagged Edge)
X4C-FGX-MX3 (Emblem: Note of Conquest)
X9F-GMA-H6D (Emblem: The Unimagined Plane)
N3L-XN6-PXF (Emblem: The Reflective Proof)
A7L-FYC-44X (Emblem: Flames of Forgotten Truth)
7MM-VPD-MHP (Shader: Double Banshee)
RXC-9XJ-4MH (Shader: Oracle 99)

Destiny-Massively-Successful-Over-5-Million-Unique-Twitch-Viewers-On-Week-One-459279-2.jpg

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
GMaster7 on

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    But Gjally isn't coming back for year 2!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    But Gjally isn't coming back for year 2!

Noted, but Gjally is still the Reason for the Season™

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure it will return. Maybe in the spring.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    A few weeks before Destiny 2 is released they'll bring it back as a primary slot rocket launcher.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Ooooh, fresh thread....

I have a nubbish question... I'm a little on the casual side and I'm still working out a lot of the systems Destiny has. Especially with regards to gear.

I ran through Prison of Elders and snagged my first exotic yesterday... but it's a lvl 20 Thunderlord.

Statwise it doesn't appear to be worth using (sheds 10 light levels and has lvl 20 damage)... What the heck do I do with this thing? Dismantle it? Is there a way to upgrade it to be useful?

I'd read somewhere about year 1 exotics getting upgrades to year 2 stats, but is that a thing for all of them?

...Halp...

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Ooooh, fresh thread....

I have a nubbish question... I'm a little on the casual side and I'm still working out a lot of the systems Destiny has. Especially with regards to gear.

I ran through Prison of Elders and snagged my first exotic yesterday... but it's a lvl 20 Thunderlord.

Statwise it doesn't appear to be worth using (sheds 10 light levels and has lvl 20 damage)... What the heck do I do with this thing? Dismantle it? Is there a way to upgrade it to be useful?

I'd read somewhere about year 1 exotics getting upgrades to year 2 stats, but is that a thing for all of them?

...Halp...

Not all of them are available for Y2 yet. Right now your Thunderlord is useful for pre-TTK content where the enemies are lower level or in Crucible where everything gets normalized anyway. I don't believe there's a Y2 Thunderlord yet (I may well be wrong? I never had a Y1 one). If it is available or becomes available (a new whack of guns are coming for Y2 sometime in December) you can go buy the Y2 version from the big weapon ipad in the Vanguard room of the Tower. Having gotten the Y1 version of any exotic makes you eligible to buy a first Y2 version for a bunch of marks. It'll come out at 280 Light and you'll be able to infuse it higher (Y1 gear doesn't have infusion).

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    I'm especially fond of that time I was IB'ing with the Europeans and we ran into Hoodie on Twilight Gap. For a while we assumed he was on our team, but then we noticed he was not and we all spent the rest of the match hunting him for sport. I feel like he had some unkind words to share with us after the match.

Crossing from the old thread, but... yeah. I think if I ever ran into other forumers in the wild I'd hunt them down too. I suspect they'd do the same.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Ooooh, fresh thread....

...Halp...

What you've got yourself there is a Year 1 Thunderlord. The bad news is that it's not going to be any good in the newer content. The good news is that by acquiring the Year 1 version, you have also unlocked the Year 2 Blueprint. If you go into the Hall of Guardians in the Tower (near your Vanguard mentor) you should see some giant iPad looking kiosks. One of them will be labelled "Exotic Weapons." Go check that out and you should see that you can purchase a Year 2 version of the gun (at 280 ATK) for the price of 1 Exotic Shard (obtained from dismantling Exotics... like that Year 1 Thunderlord you just got!) and 150-some-odd Legendary Marks.

EDIT: Exotic Shard is only required for getting an Exotic you've already unlocked

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    so i've noticed that getting a Y2 exotic doesn't make me eligible for the Y1 version

which, i know on the one hand it's like why would I want the Y1 version anyway?

but on the other hand i want all the things

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Ooooh, fresh thread....

...Halp...

Not all of them are available for Y2 yet. Right now your Thunderlord is useful for pre-TTK content where the enemies are lower level or in Crucible where everything gets normalized anyway. I don't believe there's a Y2 Thunderlord yet (I may well be wrong? I never had a Y1 one). If it is available or becomes available (a new whack of guns are coming for Y2 sometime in December) you can go buy the Y2 version from the big weapon ipad in the Vanguard room of the Tower. Having gotten the Y1 version of any exotic makes you eligible to buy a first Y2 version for a bunch of marks. It'll come out at 280 Light and you'll be able to infuse it higher (Y1 gear doesn't have infusion).

Do I need to keep the original to enable the Ipad to build me a new one? Or is it like D3 transmog and because I've owned one it's unlocked for future use?

@CptHamilton @Vagabond Thx for the help fellas.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Chanus wrote: »
    so i've noticed that getting a Y2 exotic doesn't make me eligible for the Y1 version

which, i know on the one hand it's like why would I want the Y1 version anyway?

but on the other hand i want all the things

Yeah, I spent 93 Strange Coins on Legacy Special Weapon Engrams from Xur to tick that Year 1 4th Horseman box (Why did it give me two Dreg's Promises first? No idea).

EDIT:
    Do I need to keep the original to enable the Ipad to build me a new one? Or is it like D3 transmog and because I've owned one it's unlocked for future use?

CptHamilton Vagabond Thx for the help fellas.

You don't have to keep it. As long as you owned it, it will be available in the kiosk :)

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Ooooh, fresh thread....

...Halp...

@CptHamilton @Vagabond Thx for the help fellas.

Nope, once you've had one move through your inventory it's unlocked at the ipad. You can go ahead and shard it.

• Options
    Next question, does dismantling an exotic guarantee an exotic shard, or is it random mats?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Next question, does dismantling an exotic guarantee an exotic shard, or is it random mats?

You always get an exotic shard from exotic weapons and armor.

• Options
    edited November 2015

Guaranteed. There is apparently a small chance that dismantling a fully-XP'd weapon could drop two shards, but I haven't seen it.

EDIT: Dammit, Hamilton, I'm going to let you take this one :lol:

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Thx again fellas ;-)

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »

Guaranteed. There is apparently a small chance that dismantling a fully-XP'd weapon could drop two shards, but I haven't seen it.

Just to confirm, I have seen it. Year 1 it was a constant thing but in year 2 it is much more rare. They changed it quickly after the introduction of the Ipads to stop people from farming exotic shards that way.

Which was pretty silly given how much of a bastard leveling exotics are now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Shamelessly reposting this in the new thread:
    Boozer wrote: »
    Finally put in the time to get my 45th fragment *cheers*.

My list of almost completed exotic bounties is growing. I still need to do the final missions for the Touch of Malice, No Time to Explain, and the Arc and Solar exotic swords.

If anyone needs to work on any of these as well (or is just feeling charitable) please let me know if you see me online playing Destiny (PSN: Boozer_777).

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options

Just to confirm, I have seen it. Year 1 it was a constant thing but in year 2 it is much more rare. They changed it quickly after the introduction of the Ipads to stop people from farming exotic shards that way.

I had it happen when I dismantled a fully leveled (as in mats spent too) exotic, in year 2.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

huh, I never thought about that. But it could very well be an endless source of "free" exotic shards.

although the mark cost is very prohibitive.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

I've gotten 2 shards from every fully XP'd weapon I've done. I think 3 total instances? Two of my extra Year 1 Gjallys and a Year 2 Hereafter.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

huh, I never thought about that. But it could very well be an endless source of "free" exotic shards.

Only have to pay the mark cost the first time. Then it's just 1 Exotic Shard and 2500 Glimmer. Basically it would have let you "buy" an Exotic Shard for 2500 glimmer and some XP/motes.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Only have to pay the mark cost the first time. Then it's just 1 Exotic Shard and 2500 Glimmer. Basically it would have let you "buy" an Exotic Shard for 2500 glimmer and some XP/motes.

Huh, I didn't know the mark cost was just for the first time. Interesting.

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So my friend that I've been doing the refer-a-friend quests with came from PS3 and noted that he got a lot more engrams and ammo drops there than he does on XB1. I'm almost willing to buy a copy for my PS3 to test this out.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Any word on when the December patch is coming?

Burned out on Fallout 4 and Battlefront is starting to wane.

I guess I can use this time to get through Eye: Divine Cybermancy and finish up Lisa

• Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    WOOT! I'm at 29, with the first part of the sunbreakers quest done. HYPE!

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    great now every time I read this thread title I'm going to struggle to pronounce 'Gjally'

gall-ey... yall-ey...jelly...

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Varega wrote: »

Oh awesome. Lets get a group together after the reset and get you through your first VoG.

Who wants in?

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options

Oh awesome. Lets get a group together after the reset and get you through your first VoG.

Who wants in?

What reset?

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular

Who wants in?

Me!

Also, anyone want to knock out some last minute trials bounties? Still need them on my hunter.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Wouldn't you also need to dump a pile of planet mats into it (which would probably mean throwing 10-20 marks at the problem depending on node count)?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Wouldn't you also need to dump a pile of planet mats into it (which would probably mean throwing 10-20 marks at the problem depending on node count)?

No, to get bonus shred materials you just have to have xp to unlock all nodes (fill green circles, hollow), not actually buy them on the weapon (filled in bubble).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Who wants in?

What reset?

weekly reset early tuesday am est

you don't lose anything, you can just earn rewards from the weekly activities again like the nightfall and raid

also vendors on a weekly timeframe get different stock

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Who wants in?

What reset?

Every Tuesday morning is the weekly reset. This will be more important when you get up to level 40 and start doing the Taken King raids. Basically you can only receive rewards from certain activities once a week. Raids you can only get one set of rewards from the bosses each week. Weekly Heroic strikes you can get 10 marks for the first three you complete during each week. Same for the weekly crucible playlist. There's also a weekly nightfall strike which you can only get rewards from once a week (though it's usually not worth running).

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Who wants in?

What reset?

weekly reset early tuesday am est

you don't lose anything, you can just earn rewards from the weekly activities again like the nightfall and raid

also vendors on a weekly timeframe get different stock

Cool! Yea, I'm totally in for whatever. I'm at 140ish light currently, if it matters. I'm really liking defender, but I'm open to any of the titan classes

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Shameless plug on a second HM group starting: https://www.the100.io/game/434243
    Totally okay with bringing on new people (to HM), and the only real requirement is to have done the raid previously (which also can be worked on!).
    I mean, I'm also okay with a bunch of people who have completed it on other characters as well.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    4th Horseman + No Backup Plans = lol
    https://youtu.be/oXd3C_4or9o

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Video shows private for me.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Fixed, that was weird

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    great now every time I read this thread title I'm going to struggle to pronounce 'Gjally'

gall-ey... yall-ey...jelly...

Deck the halls with rounds of Gjally?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Video shows private for me.
    Fixed, that was weird
    When the answer to "what's gonna happen" becomes a true mystery