As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Community Steins 2016 - Project Pending...

• Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    How about Tankards? Aren't those usually metal as well and might have same limitations? Hopefully not.

• Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    As for color, going with a yellow or other highlight would be fine with me. Thank you for your work so far on this!

• Options
    MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Custom Flasks:
    I spent a little time today looking for a place to do custom flasks. While many exist, none that I looked at do multi-color flask designs. I'm sure there is some place out there that puts some crappy sticker on it, but that's not what we're going to want. I know that last year's vendor does not support multicolored custom flasks. However, if anyone knows of a place, point me in their direction and I'll take a look.

hey found out cafe press does custom flasks with an online designer witch DOES allow for custom graphic uploads.
    i dont know if it prints it out in full color or if it just converts it to a laser engraving or not cant seem to find out readily, you may have to email them and ask.
    but it does give discounts on bulk orders over 2 units (so 2 flasks) and no setup or minimum order size with 5-7 day shipping and 24 hour processing in most cases
    oh also their stainless steel and 6oz

edit: damit keep forgetting shit; url: http://www.cafepress.com/make/custom-flasks
    edit numero dos: ok i need to find shit THEN post lol, found a place that does the same but with glass tankards url: http://www.customink.com/styles/15-oz-glass-tankard/108800

Mechcondrid on
  • Options
    quikblendquikblend CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    i think the stein or flask sound ground. Thanks for everyone's work on this~!

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Oh, if Cafepress does do this, it could really work out well. You wouldn't have to be responsible for shipping, since we could order directly from Cafepress after the design was finalized.

• Options
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Oh, if Cafepress does do this, it could really work out well. You wouldn't have to be responsible for shipping, since we could order directly from Cafepress after the design was finalized.

oh do they do drop shipping?

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    hey found out cafe press does custom flasks with an online designer witch DOES allow for custom graphic uploads.

...found a place that does the same but with glass tankards url: http://www.customink.com/styles/15-oz-glass-tankard/108800
    I fiddled with them a wee bit last year, but I'll take a look at your links. Thanks for that.
    That is pretty damn sweet; it'd be nice to have that option. However, I do wonder how much extra it would cost per unit if we did it that way. Regardless, I'll take a deeper look into them.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Well, if Cafepress becomes and option, it could be for no profit. Just charge the exact cost of making it. Hope it works out!

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My only problem with the flask: How will we get the barkeep to give us excessive amounts of beer for almost no money if he's only filling up a flask instead of a MASSIVE tankard?
    I hope he didn't get in too much trouble for that.

I totally want a flask though.

• Options
    Yeh, but who puts beer in a flask??? Vodka, Tequila, ooooh, Everclear!!!!!

• Options
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    My only problem with the flask: How will we get the barkeep to give us excessive amounts of beer for almost no money if he's only filling up a flask instead of a MASSIVE tankard?
    He didn't get in any trouble. I was talking to the barkeeps each night and they were totally cool with it. As for your flask question, this is how.

• Options
    Yeh, but who puts beer in a flask??? Vodka, Tequila, ooooh, Everclear!!!!!

nonsense, you only really got two options, a fine kentucky bourbon or Bacardi 151 with a splash of southern comfort for flavor and color

• Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    I might be out for a flask. I definitely wouldn't use it very often, and what I liked about the stein was that I could use it.

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    Well, let's get one thing started on this at least, while I'm researching available design options.

Question #1: Do you want a year banner above the PA crest for this year's glass/stein/mug/flask/hamster/whatever?

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    He didn't get in any trouble. I was talking to the barkeeps each night and they were totally cool with it. As for your flask question, this is how.

Make it so!

• Options

Make it so!

Aye Aye, Captain!

• Options
    I'm keeping the voting still up. We only have 16 responses. Not a lot has happened so far because I've being very busy in real life, but we started very early and PAX East is a month later than last year, so we're already ahead of schedule.

Just wanted to let people know that I haven't drifted off into the unknown.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    just lettin you know i borrowed the crest from last year for a Pax East discord server logo (shameless plug: https://discord.gg/0hgbKh7zHDWi1Kwm)

Mechcondrid on
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Will hold my powder until the community settles on something ... then decide if it is still something I am interested in.

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    ucb2ptwwuxdh.png
    As you can see from the chart above, the overwhelming majority of people voted to have a banner with the year placed. As such, I will work to get a version with the banner setup.

I apologize for the 11-day hiatus. I've been very busy working on getting a new job, so I've put all of my resources into that and making Mr. Little Me excited for the coming holiday. The good news is that since we started a month early and PAX East is a month later, we're actually ahead of schedule.

In the next couple of weeks, I'll begin to get options together for the style. I know people have mentioned the flask idea, and I will look into that as well. We're only going to do one style this year (just as before). I know people would like to have a flask and something else, but I'm not willing to deal with the extra work that it would entail; this is hard enough as it is, lol.

Stay tuned for updates.

• Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    Thanks for your effort, Le_Goat. It takes a lot of work to coordinate stuff like this, especially when life gets in the way, so I'm sure that everyone on here appreciates it. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I've been off the forum for a minute and missed the voting, but I'm glad the consensus was to add the date. I was using my stein the other day and thought the date was the only thing missing. I'm up for a 14oz or 20oz coffee mug or something....But I'll buy whatever...mug, tankard or flask.

melzway on
  • Options
    go flask or go home, lol

• Options
    KemicalKemical Registered User regular
    I am in for one!

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    That sure is a pretty pie graph

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    My apologies for the hiatus. I've been crazy busy with writing policies and procedures manuals for my current job in preparation for leaving next week. Before that, I was working on all the paperwork for my new job, which starts shortly after leaving my new job.

That being said, I haven't had any time to devote to this.

• Options
    ar3nar3n CT, USARegistered User new member
    Long time forum lurker, but created an account to post this. I have a family member that sells promotional products and a flask with multiple colors is almost certainly something I could get through him. I'd be happy to reach out if people are interested.

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    @Le_Goat Congrats on the new job!

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    I see the threads all the time but i've never opted in myself.

I'd definitely be interested in one.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    marcfonlinemarcfonline Registered User regular
    Bit late to the game on this, but I've been kicking myself for not getting in on the steins last year. Definitely count me in for this year!

In all my life, I have learned three important things:
    1. Don't panic.
    2. Always know where your towel is.
    3. On no account allow a Vogon to read poetry at you.
  • Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    ya same here,count me in as well.i could have sworn i posted here when the thread first opened...guess not.

• Options
    abdoooooabdooooo Registered User regular
    I'm interested as well! Please count me in for 2.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the enthusiasm and wanting in on this. We had an awesome turnout last year.

Here's what things should look like going forward; this is subject to change, but I'm tossing this out there so you all have an idea of how things will work. I'll have a couple of days off this week, so I'll try to get more work done on this.
    1. Style vote #1: I'll throw out a set of basic styles for everyone to vote on so we can get an idea for what the community wants
    2. Style vote #2: from the narrowed down choices, I'll throw out more fine-tuned options based on results from #1
    3. Vendor selection
    4. Interest form: fill out the form for how many you anticipate ordering; this is not final nor is it your order; this is so that I can get an idea for the price break-down
    5. something happens here, but I can't remember just right now
    6. Actual ordering open
    7. Ordering closed: once this is done, official ordering is totally closed; I cannot add more pieces to the order once it is placed; we'll open up a list for extras should we have any, as I try to anticipate accidental breakage and use extra money for ordering more
    8. Money collection, followed by placing the order
    9. Lots of stressing out by me, possible some crying, followed by a beer
    10. Steins arrive, inventory completed; contemplate washing, then remember my painful knuckles last year.
    11. PAX MOTHASKRUNCHAS!!!!
    12. Pick up your steins at designated times and spot - I'm going to be more militaristic this year, because things were chaotic trying to get steins to everyone; some people never did pick theirs up.

So that is the gist of how it should work. As stated above, this is subject to change and will be much more detailed soon. Closing out the old job and getting things ready for the new job has left me with practically no time to devote to this project. That will change soon, so I'm looking forward to really picking up the pace shortly. I appreciate the patience during the temporary hiatus.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    After a large amount of procrastination, I have updated the community crest to include Aus and South. And I removed the trading cards, since that's not a thing anymore.

Here's the standard crest:
    http://tim.plush.org/~yamara/pax/pax_community_logo-2016.pdf

Here's the 2016 beer stein variants for East, with year, as requested:
    Full color: http://tim.plush.org/~yamara/pax/pax_community_stein-2016.pdf
    3 color East version: http://tim.plush.org/~yamara/pax/pax_community_stein-east-2016.pdf

In practice, I think knocking the white out from the logo tends to make the logo hard to read when dark beverages are in it.

Also, I often don't end up buying a lot of the swag from these things or can't make every PAX, but would love photos of things with the community crest on it. If anyone takes good quality photos of community crest swag, or any photos of past PAX Prank things, please just shoot me a PM! Pretty pictures and the happiness of the community with their neat swag is what keeps me making updates.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • Options
    Thanks a ton, @Yamara. Those look fantastic.

I think we should wait to choose the color option until I get a cost difference, unless there is an overwhelming support for "I don't care. Gimme the colors!"

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Any chance we can get the figures on the side (horse and fish) to be the old statehouse statues of a lion and unicorn?

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/09/15/old-state-house-lion-and-unicorn-statue-photos-bostonian-society/

• Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    I got three of the steins last year and they were 100% awesome. I'm probably not interested in flasks if that's what we settle on, but I'm sure they will turn out great either way.

• Options
    I'm going to be completely honest with all of you: I may not be able to have time for the whole process this year. I'm at a new job that is keeping me insanely busy. Last year, I was at a job that left me with a ton of free time, so I was able to devote a lot of my resources to the stein. Despite starting early this time around, you can tell that not much has happened other than the crest modifications (a huge thanks to @Yamara for that).

There are some possibilities here:
    1. Cancel the entire stein for this year. This is not something I want to do, but the option is there.

2. Have someone else take over. I will do my best to offer any help, advice, or insight if you want to take this over.

3. Limited voting. Limited involvement on my behalf. We can do a simple pint glass or go the route of a flask that everyone has been talking about. Whichever way we go, I think it would be best to go through a vendor that everyone will individually go to their site and place their orders. This places the responsibility on each person. The down side is that there is no way we'll get the "stein" as cheap as last year, since every order will be individual instead of a community order of 130+.

We still have two months to go, but with how my life is going right now, I think it is best to level with everyone now instead of waiting until it's too late to make modifications.

• Options
    I can't take on anything else this year, but I hope somebody steps up. You did a great job last year, and we love our steins!

• Options
    melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    What about cafepress? I'm not certain of all the ins and outs but the pin group did messenger bags last year and it seemed to work ok based on the posts.

This discussion has been closed.