As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everyone who was waiting for (affordable well performing) DX10 cards, they're here:

• CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    CZroe wrote: »
    scootch wrote: »
    I'd keep it. I don't like loud cards. I would have to buy replacement fan and that would probably negate much of the price difference between gt and gts. :\

not to mention void the warrty.

Uhh, those are reasons not to keep it. The GT is cooler, quieter, lower power, higher performing with more features.

have you not read anything in this thread?

Yes, including the actual reviews marveling at how it doesn't get louder under load (it will never be as loud as the instant wheny ou first boot). There is even a passively cooled one. Talk about quiet? There.

CZroe on
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i see 2 but not 4 anymore.

edit: sold out.

FanciestWalnut on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    So are these worth picking up and using sli now if a gts or gtx is just going to come out in nov and kick much more ass?

personally SLI is never worth it. I'd always take the single more powerful card, even if that means waiting 6 months to a year for the next refresh

its BEST put to use to break barriers and reach levels single cards cant do. ie, a single GTX or Ultra (put 2 in SLI!)

but that still requires an excess of money

now that all said, this is somewhat of a special case, what with the cards being single slot size, only requiring one PCI-e 6pin connector, being so cheap and performing so well, etc etc

that said I still wouldnt do it personally. not to mention SLI doesnt really happen on anything but nvidia chipset/based boards. (and I'd prefer intels for intel cpus)

But I bet I could run Vanguard at max settings on my monitor's native res.

Shogun on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My ATI Radeon X1600 256mb still plays Episode 2 at medium textures, hdr and motion blur, at 1280x720, at 35-45 fps depending on outside or inside...

I still don't get this waste of time that is analyzing vRam, clock and bus speeds, and comparing overclocks.

Just play the fucking games people... This ain't a spectator sport. :P

Sueve on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sueve wrote: »
    My ATI Radeon X1600 256mb still plays Episode 2 at medium textures, hdr and motion blur, at 1280x720, at 35-45 fps depending on outside or inside...

I still don't get this waste of time that is analyzing vRam, clock and bus speeds, and comparing overclocks.

Er, you dont have to waste any time doing that. There are paid professionals at HardOCP and Anandtech and etc who do that for you.

you play on medium textures on the HL2 engine? Great. There are some people (or a lot) who'd like to see the games the way they were designed and fully intended by the developer, not dumbed down so they run on more hardware.

Deusfaux on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Er, you dont have to waste any time doing that. There are paid professionals at HardOCP and Anandtech and etc who do that for you.

you play on medium textures on the HL2 engine? Great. There are some people (or a lot) who'd like to see the games they were designed and fully intended by the developer, not dumbed down so they run more hardware.

Oh, fair enough then. I thought all of you had spent hours researching the architecture to figure out how to get better frames... which to me would be taking away from your actual game time. But, to each his own.

Sueve on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

you play on medium textures on the HL2 engine? Great. There are some people (or a lot) who'd like to see the games they were designed and fully intended by the developer, not dumbed down so they run more hardware.

Oh, fair enough then. I thought all of you had spent hours researching the architecture to figure out how to get better frames... which to me would be taking away from your actual game time. But, to each his own.
    It's not really taking away from game time when the game isn't out yet, is it? Maybe other games, but that's always the case, no matter what you're doing. Posting on forums about games even takes away from playing those games.

Plus, better graphics=better immersion=better experience.

fogeyman on
    edited October 2007
    on ATI/AMD RV670 / HD 3800 series:

Anand

"What must AMD do? 8800 GT vs. 2900 XT

Alright, here's where things get really interesting. AMD has yet to come out with its 8800 GT competitor, but we've heard some rumors here and there. First, our understanding is that the RV670 based AMD part will not be any faster than the 2900 XT (and will likely be at least a little bit slower). While we can't confirm this, as we haven't heard from AMD on the subject or received hardware to play with yet (in fact if we had, we wouldn't even be able to bring up our speculation). But if we are right, then it makes sense to compare the 8800 GT to the 2900 XT and see what happens. "

Deusfaux on
  • krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The 8800GTs just came out in Korea but they cost around $310 to $330 (after tax and delivery is figured in) which is basically the exact price the 8800 GTS 320MB sells for here. The two 8800 GTs I found on the U.S. Newegg site seemed to also be selling near $300. I'm wondering if this markup is done by the retailers or if the originally announced pricepoints of $199 and $249 were just speculation.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    krapst78 wrote: »
    The 8800GTs just came out in Korea but they cost around $310 to $330 (after tax and delivery is figured in) which is basically the exact price of the 8800 GTS 320MB sells for here. The two 8800 GTs I found on the U.S. Newegg site seemed to also be selling near $300. I'm wondering if this markup is done by the retailers or if the originally announced pricepoints of $199 and $249 were just speculation.

Usually people post the bulk price points and don't realize that they are. 250-300$ sound about right. I could see them coming down just a bit though and different brands/memory sizes and even a rumored 1gb 8800gt card.

It pisses me off that I bought this 8800gts-320(in july) only to find out that it will soon be obsolete over an 8800gt-512mb card. *grumbles*

Viscountalpha on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Luq wrote: »
    So I just got an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB last week from Amazon (gift certificates). Any recommendations on what to do now? Should I be trying to figure out some way to send this thing back?

Get it registered and get it ready for the step up program. It may easily be worth stepping up but you have 90 days from the purchase date. Reason it out though, It might be worth waiting for the launch to subside and to see all the actual information come out and see if there is any issues or problems before jumping.

Good luck with that.

Viscountalpha on
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man I'm so glad I didn't fork out AU$800 for an 8800GTX, This is way better! I'm only running a single 19" so this is perfect.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Flyingman wrote: »
    Man I'm so glad I didn't fork out AU$800 for an 8800GTX, This is way better! I'm only running a single 19" so this is perfect.

You could have a 24" and it'd be fine.

I'm going to have to hang some crap on the guy at work who bought his GTX :p

devoir on
    edited October 2007
    Retailers are gouging and taking advantage of the chaos

Got one on NCIX for $249 CAD (with 2 freebies and ET:QW included, and its a superclocked version)

Deusfaux on
  • jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    may be out of place, but dx 10 is old news! its gotta be 10.1 now right? I mean howelse can they rape you for more money

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    As I understood it, It sounds like the 8800gt will take the place of the GTS product line. It really is about time they get on the stick and make a fantastic midrange card. I could see tons of people getting this card for chrismas. I'm really curious how the ATi-RV670 based card will be if it scares nVidia this badly to do this product line.

*edit*
    jlrx wrote: »
    may be out of place, but dx 10 is old news! its gotta be 10.1 now right? I mean howelse can they rape you for more money

Last I heard Dx10.1 is just an extension of DX10. You miss out on features but nothing gigantic it seems. There was a DX10.1 white paper floating around the internet recently. It still seems available here

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/27/dx10-whitepaper-leaks

DX10 isn't old , it is getting an automatic (imho bullshit) upgrade already.

Viscountalpha on
  • jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As I understood it, It sounds like the 8800gt will take the place of the GTS product line. It really is about time they get on the stick and make a fantastic midrange card. I could see tons of people getting this card for chrismas. I'm really curious how the ATi-R670 card will be if it scares nVidia this badly to do this product line.

*edit*

Last I heard Dx10.1 is just an extension of DX10. You miss out on features but nothing gigantic it seems. There was a DX10.1 white paper floating around the internet recently. It still seems available here

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/27/dx10-whitepaper-leaks

DX10 isn't old , it is getting an automatic (imho bullshit) upgrade already.

not old perse, I meant - the last I had heard, DX10.1 was announced shortly after dx 10 cards started comming out, and DX10.1 wouldnt be compatible (hardware wise) with dx10 cards, so you'd need a dx10.1 card to use it (ie; yet another new card)

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007

somehow i dont think microsoft is colluding with GPU makers to sell more cards in that way.

MSFT makes the 10.1 spec - and they do it to give game devs more efficient and prettier ways of making games.

and everything you said is true.. but with so few DX10 games out now... how soon do you expect any 10.1 games in volume? I dont think you'll have to worry about it for a while. or just miss out on some extra eye candy

Deusfaux on
  • waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

somehow i dont think microsoft is colluding with GPU makers to sell more cards in that way.

MSFT makes the 10.1 spec - and they do it to give game devs more efficient and prettier ways of making games.

and everything you said is true.. but with so few DX10 games out now... how soon do you expect any 10.1 games in volume? I dont think you'll have to worry about it for a while. or just miss out on some extra eye candy

When dx9 came out it took a long time till dx9 was really used, and by that time it was dx9.0c, and all the first gen dx9 parts couldn't hack it. Heck even the first 9.0c parts weren't that great at games that really used 9.0c extensively.

It's the same now, getting a dx10 part when dx10.1 is on the horizon is setting yourself up.
    Another person who doenst know what the fuck they're talking about, everyone please disregard and continue to only listen to people like myself and the other experienced forumers on the subject.

So because I'm new you insult me and think only your opinion matters. You seem to be dodging my actual argument "your current 8800gts/gtx is not worthless don't panic" and cherry picking things to bash the new guy.
    Launch day, and you already have OC'd cards from VENDORS in the 700mhz core range, over stock 600. (that's as big a factory overclock seen on a GPU in the last few years).

A 100mhz OC has been seen true, but the GTS can be OC'd as well. Your graphs were stock VS stock. The GTS cooler is able to cool more effectively. This is the problem with the stock GT cooler. A dual slot cooler which moves air out of the case is going to be more effective.

I think it's great that the card is single slot stock, that saves a lot of room. But it hasn't been the best way to cool a card for some time now.

Keep in mind vendor stock OC's aren't always a good thing. The evga debacle with 7900gt OC's burning up (stock cooler that didn't move air out of the case) comes to mind.
    No a GTS does not kick its ass. Please show otherwise.

I never said a GTS kicks it's ass. I pointed out that a 512mb frame buffer can be limiting in some situations. In the cases where it's limited (idiotic resolutions which AA out the yang) the GT does have some problems. And since SLI does not double vRAM that 512mb is still an issue.

If you're going to shell out for SLI it makes little sense to do it with a card that is limited by frame buffer.

The graphs are great at showing average frame rate, but not a steady frame rate. These are different. When you have a card that has more then enough power to push things, but not the frame buffer, you can still get great FPS on average, but get moments where it stalls, or suffers some freakish slow down.

I'm not refuting that the 8800gt is a great part or claiming it's worse then what's out now. I'm pointing out that if you already own an 8800gts 640mb or gtx/ultra this isn't a "oh noes run for the hills there is no point in these cards" moment.

Hence why I'm waiting for the GTS refresh with greater then 512mb vRAM before I ditch my current cards and upgrade.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    and more graphs for you

crysis.gif
    ut3.gif
    tf2.gif
    bioshock.gif
    lostplanet-snow.gif
    lostplanet-cave.gif

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You should probably link to where the graphs came from. That GTS is a 575core 1700mem.

Rook on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm jumping into this thread late, but...

This comes at a pretty nice time. I've been looking to upgrade my rig, but I'm not looking to spend astronomical figures, so this card sounds like it'd be a good fit.

Anyone know if there's anywhere I can still get one of these, or at least place an order for one even if it'll be a long time before they get restocked?

Vargas Prime on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is sort of irritating since I bought an 8800GTS320 six months ago, but oh well. I've been enjoying my card and the price isn't that much different. The fact that it's both cheaper and preforms better is kind of a kick in the nuts though.

Drool on
  • TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I grabbed a GTS320 a month ago, this is quite a large kick in the balls. My only consolation is that I bought EVGA, so I still have plenty of time to step up.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • IchinisanIchinisan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Launch day, and you already have OC'd cards from VENDORS in the 700mhz core range, over stock 600. (that's as big a factory overclock seen on a GPU in the last few years).

A 100mhz OC has been seen true, but the GTS can be OC'd as well. Your graphs were stock VS stock. The GTS cooler is able to cool more effectively. This is the problem with the stock GT cooler. A dual slot cooler which moves air out of the case is going to be more effective.

I think it's great that the card is single slot stock, that saves a lot of room. But it hasn't been the best way to cool a card for some time now.

Keep in mind vendor stock OC's aren't always a good thing. The evga debacle with 7900gt OC's burning up (stock cooler that didn't move air out of the case) comes to mind.
    Let me get this straight... you'd rather get the hotter, slower, GPU with less headroom for overclocking just because of the cooler it requires to even operate at the slower speed? The cooler doesn't automatically overcome it's other deficientcies or else you see them at 600MHz-stock/700MHz-OC too. It certainly doesn't exceed the capabilities. Buy the GT and, if you must, buy a cooler, save money, gain higher performance, and rest easy knowing you STILL spent less than an 8800GTS.
    Deusfaux wrote:
    No a GTS does not kick its ass. Please show otherwise.

I never said a GTS kicks it's ass. I pointed out that a 512mb frame buffer can be limiting in some situations. In the cases where it's limited (idiotic resolutions which AA out the yang) the GT does have some problems. And since SLI does not double vRAM that 512mb is still an issue.

If you're going to shell out for SLI it makes little sense to do it with a card that is limited by frame buffer.

The graphs are great at showing average frame rate, but not a steady frame rate. These are different. When you have a card that has more then enough power to push things, but not the frame buffer, you can still get great FPS on average, but get moments where it stalls, or suffers some freakish slow down.

I'm not refuting that the 8800gt is a great part or claiming it's worse then what's out now. I'm pointing out that if you already own an 8800gts 640mb or gtx/ultra this isn't a "oh noes run for the hills there is no point in these cards" moment.

Hence why I'm waiting for the GTS refresh with greater then 512mb vRAM before I ditch my current cards and upgrade.

This is my concern. If I'm going to be doing SLI, I'm going to be aiming for those high resolutions and AA levels. The extra performance will be wasted without a larger framebuffer. When will we be seeing a 1GB version? I'd be happy with a 640MB one, but I've heard no rumblings of that.

Ichinisan on
    edited October 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    Yeah, I grabbed a GTS320 a month ago, this is quite a large kick in the balls. My only consolation is that I bought EVGA, so I still have plenty of time to step up.

Yea but you bought a 320mb so it's not like thats competing anyway.

FanciestWalnut on
    edited October 2007
    and more graphs for you

crysis.gif
    ut3.gif
    tf2.gif
    bioshock.gif
    lostplanet-snow.gif
    lostplanet-cave.gif

Just ran over those tests on their site and they don't say the settings they were using on the games individually, just says "left settings at their defaults in the menu". Also they are testing things at such insanely high reso's on most of those games.

FanciestWalnut on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »

I just checked my eVGA page...my step up eligibility ended on the 22nd. D:

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've basically been waiting for something like this in order to buy a new card. Is there any point to waiting longer, or should I grab one of these?

Edit: I have a 7600gt or something right now.

mrflippy on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    and more graphs for you

*GRAPHS*

Just ran over those tests on their site and they don't say the settings they were using on the games individually, just says "left settings at their defaults in the menu". Also they are testing things at such insanely high reso's on most of those games.

The resolution, Anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering are shown, what else is needed?

my 8800GTS actually is 580mhz core and 1.7 Ghz on the memory so I don't feel quite so bad (I bought it 10 days ago)

Drakmathus on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I've basically been waiting for something like this in order to buy a new card. Is there any point to waiting longer, or should I grab one of these?

I'd say just get it. At most, wait until the prices drop and then get an 8800gt (inside of a month). At worst, get the card now.

fogeyman on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »

I'd say just get it. At most, wait until the prices drop and then get an 8800gt (inside of a month). At worst, get the card now.

Looks like it's mostly all sold out, so I'm waiting in any case :)

mrflippy on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    so happy i didn't buy that 500$ video card now.

Grath on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So whatever happened to Havok FX (nVidia GPU accelerated Havok engine)?

jackal on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whats the take on BFG cards? I'm looking at this one in particular. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-053-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
    edited October 2007
    Ichinisan wrote: »

This is my concern. If I'm going to be doing SLI, I'm going to be aiming for those high resolutions and AA levels. The extra performance will be wasted without a larger framebuffer. When will we be seeing a 1GB version? I'd be happy with a 640MB one, but I've heard no rumblings of that.

(adjusted for sanity)

I heard rumors of 1gb 8800gt's but thats it. Theinquirer.net mentioned rumors of a 1gb card and it could easily happen.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/23/nvidia-boards-8800gt-launch

link to rumor. I would say since Dram is such a low price right now that this could be possible. Should be interesting to watch and see how this one turns out.

Viscountalpha on
  • WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Haikira wrote: »
    Whats the take on BFG cards? I'm looking at this one in particular. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-053-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008

BFG is in my opinion far and away the best. stock OC, good cooling, solid construction, and unbeatable customer support

spoilered for testimonialism
    I did some tweaking that i shouldnt have, and it got to be about 120 degrees here and i was playin all day when i burned up half my computer. called BFG to get a replacement, didnt even get asked what was wrong, they just gave me a RTM number and told me to send it in. on the way to put it in a package i accidentally dropped it and kicked it, broke off two capacitors and cracked it. They didnt say a word, new card was back in about 5 days.

Wyked on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What it is already time to upgrade

shit

Projeck on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jackal wrote: »
    So whatever happened to Havok FX (nVidia GPU accelerated Havok engine)?

If I'm not mistaken, it's being used in the Source 2007 engine in Episode 2.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ichinisan wrote: »

(adjusted for sanity)

I heard rumors of 1gb 8800gt's but thats it. Theinquirer.net mentioned rumors of a 1gb card and it could easily happen.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/23/nvidia-boards-8800gt-launch

link to rumor. I would say since Dram is such a low price right now that this could be possible. Should be interesting to watch and see how this one turns out.

If they slap 1GB on a card and don't increase that 256 bit interface I'm going to drive a mack truck through nVidia's headquarters.

edit: but if they do increase it and the results are grand I am most definitely buying one and laughing at everyone else for being early adopters.

Shogun on