As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] Iron Banner: Game of the Year Edition

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Any time I get spammed with invites, I finish up whatever I was doing, then find the offender, point at them, teabag, jump off the tower, then go to orbit during the respawn screen.

why would you put on such an impressive display of gamesmanship it will only make them want you more

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Marikir wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »
    Because I'm an idiot and didn't know there was a new thread, reposting:
    Well, sleep apparently trumped all my plans last night. Oh well.

On a related note, if anyone is running through King's Fall Normal Mode at some point this week and needs a body to fill a spot on the PS4, I've told my son I'd run his character through it at some point. He's over 300 Light, has good gear, just can't do it with his current circle of friends. And he'd love to get a chance at a Heavy Weapon over 300. Or to get raid weapons, he likes them. In any case, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a full carry, just a little bit on the jumping parts as my first person jumping skills SUCK.

@Marikir I have a Thursday HM group I'm trying to start up. https://www.the100.io/game/434243

..very tempting, although I don't get on until around 8:30 or 9 typically. I may put my name as reserve. Doing it on my main would be fun. Although I was asking about Normal as I didn't want to subject anyone to his character not being 310 yet. But...if it's no issue with the others, I may try it.

Thanks for the offer!

I'm not sure what others expectations are, but I'm thinking pushing to daughter for the first two week runs (what we did with the other raid group). Maybe trying oryx when we all have 310+ LL. Also misread the normal mode bit. You can bring either character you want though. Hawk I think barely clears 303 or something, so no pressure.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Typing with the PS4 on-screen thing is a trial but its predictive text thing is pretty good. And adds words that aren't in its dictionary whenever you use them. So mine is now intimately familiar with Oryx, Skolas, and all kinds of words starting with the letters I and B. I'll have to look into this messaging using the app, though. I always feel bad when I'm in a crucible match or doing a strike or something and get a message. I want to reply but I don't want to go idle in a corner while I do so.

The other evening I got on and picked up a couple of the Gunsmith test guns with crucible requirements, then went into the daily playlist (Skirmish that day). Normally I'm not bad at Skirmish but the other team was pretty good and those gunsmith guns sucked. I wound up with like 3 kills for the match and a lot of deaths. One of the guys on my team messages me saying, "u fucking suck u cunt". So I said, "Yup". He responds, "Yup". So I told him, "I can't improve if I don't play. No need to be rude." I guess he didn't know how to handle civil discourse since I got nothing else out of him.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

On a related note, if anyone is running through King's Fall Normal Mode at some point this week and needs a body to fill a spot on the PS4, I've told my son I'd run his character through it at some point. He's over 300 Light, has good gear, just can't do it with his current circle of friends. And he'd love to get a chance at a Heavy Weapon over 300. Or to get raid weapons, he likes them. In any case, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a full carry, just a little bit on the jumping parts as my first person jumping skills SUCK.

@Marikir I have a Thursday HM group I'm trying to start up. https://www.the100.io/game/434243

..very tempting, although I don't get on until around 8:30 or 9 typically. I may put my name as reserve. Doing it on my main would be fun. Although I was asking about Normal as I didn't want to subject anyone to his character not being 310 yet. But...if it's no issue with the others, I may try it.

Thanks for the offer!

I'm not sure what others expectations are, but I'm thinking pushing to daughter for the first two week runs (what we did with the other raid group). Maybe trying oryx when we all have 310+ LL. Also misread the normal mode bit. You can bring either character you want though. Hawk I think barely clears 303 or something, so no pressure.

I signed up for the 2nd run as well but I am more than willing to drop for someone that hasn't done it/needs it more than me when the time comes. So if someone wants in just lemme know and I'll drop for Thursday.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    squall99x wrote: »

Thanks for the offer!

I signed up for the 2nd run as well but I am more than willing to drop for someone that hasn't done it/needs it more than me when the time comes. So if someone wants in just lemme know and I'll drop for Thursday.

I'm kinda taking that approach as well with it, as most of you guys should know fights, and oh man really don't want to subject you all to another night of my terrible voice.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Typing with the PS4 on-screen thing is a trial but its predictive text thing is pretty good. And adds words that aren't in its dictionary whenever you use them. So mine is now intimately familiar with Oryx, Skolas, and all kinds of words starting with the letters I and B. I'll have to look into this messaging using the app, though. I always feel bad when I'm in a crucible match or doing a strike or something and get a message. I want to reply but I don't want to go idle in a corner while I do so.

The other evening I got on and picked up a couple of the Gunsmith test guns with crucible requirements, then went into the daily playlist (Skirmish that day). Normally I'm not bad at Skirmish but the other team was pretty good and those gunsmith guns sucked. I wound up with like 3 kills for the match and a lot of deaths. One of the guys on my team messages me saying, "u fucking suck u cunt". So I said, "Yup". He responds, "Yup". So I told him, "I can't improve if I don't play. No need to be rude." I guess he didn't know how to handle civil discourse since I got nothing else out of him.

"Hey" => "Do" => "You" => "Wanna" => "Iron" => "Banana"=> "?"

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    Also in response to the Challenge mode stuff being too easy (never mind its only the first one and we don't know if every boss might have more than one condition) I think it is important to keep in mind that a majority of us here on the boards and places like reddit etc. are probably the top 5% or even top 1% of people that play destiny. For every awesome well coordinated person here there are probably 1000 people that don't have any friends who play or don't belong to an online community to help them. So while the challenges might not (or might) be challenging for us they have a good possibility of being ball bustingly hard for Joe Blow out there who uses pugs all the time and still has issues doing the ship puzzle :P

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    Also in response to the Challenge mode stuff being too easy (never mind its only the first one and we don't know if every boss might have more than one condition) I think it is important to keep in mind that a majority of us here on the boards and places like reddit etc. are probably the top 5% or even top 1% of people that play destiny. For every awesome well coordinated person here there are probably 1000 people that don't have any friends who play or don't belong to an online community to help them. So while the challenges might not (or might) be challenging for us they have a good possibility of being ball bustingly hard for Joe Blow out there who uses pugs all the time and still has issues doing the ship puzzle :P

Based on this one I'd hazard that there's going to be a Golgoroth one where you can't use the same orb more than once. That'll be pretty tough.

• Unicron80Unicron80 Registered User regular

Have you tried equipping a sword? Puts you in third person view. Don't have to have any ammo. Not that I'm amazing at jump puzzles but I think it makes them much much easier.

Steam: Unicron80 PSN: Hawkbeard
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

It's more that it doesn't appear to add any additional difficulty over how the fight usually is done.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Well, its something you have to be aware of. If the pattern repeats between pillar phases, you need to have the other guy in that position take the buff.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

It's more that it doesn't appear to add any additional difficulty over how the fight usually is done.

yeah, i mean, other than trading the aura, it sounds exactly the same with just some tougher adds?

It's not so much that it doesn't change it as much as it is that it doesn't change it in a way that matters to most of us. I can imagine there are people that still run a single aura holder for that fight and others never bothered getting decent at keeping the buff up. Kinda like in VoG when you got unlucky and got everyone ported through time that never wanted to learn the relic so everyone just kinda stared at one another hoping someone else would pick it up.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    Chanus wrote: »

yeah, i mean, other than trading the aura, it sounds exactly the same with just some tougher adds?

Well mechanics wise there isn't really a lot they can do with keeping the same mechanics that doesn't just end up turning it into a dps check. I would imagine that would be the same for most of the fights minus the platforming stuff in sisters/oryx.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    After many failed trials runs (and whiny posts on this forum), I actually had an amazing go of things last night, and it left me more stoked to play Destiny than I have been in a long, long time.

On advice of someone here (mossnack?), I joined up with a couple of random dudes from destinylfg.com. They were clearly IRL friends, but I didn't mind playing the third wheel. Also very un-PA-like in rather humorous fashion (OH SHIT i]the prohibited word[/i GET ON THAT REZ!!). Despite all that, they were pretty cool, and we got into a decent groove. Made it to 8 wins, so no shiny screencaps, but it's still by far the closest I have ever made it to the lighthouse. What's more, it was by no means a carry, with all of us maintaining pretty comparable KD over the course of the matches.

I think it was the encouragement I needed that the lighthouse isn't out of reach with the right team. Can't wait for Friday...

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    After many failed trials runs (and whiny posts on this forum), I actually had an amazing go of things last night, and it left me more stoked to play Destiny than I have been in a long, long time.

On advice of someone here (mossnack?), I joined up with a couple of random dudes from destinylfg.com. They were clearly IRL friends, but I didn't mind playing the third wheel. Also very un-PA-like in rather humorous fashion (OH SHIT i]the prohibited word[/i GET ON THAT REZ!!). Despite all that, they were pretty cool, and we got into a decent groove. Made it to 8 wins, so no shiny screencaps, but it's still by far the closest I have ever made it to the lighthouse. What's more, it was by no means a carry, with all of us maintaining pretty comparable KD over the course of the matches.

I think it was the encouragement I needed that the lighthouse isn't out of reach with the right team. Can't wait for Friday...

if you get into the right groove with a team and have a good strategy for whatever map you're on you can get to 8ish wins without needing any super amazing players.

It's happened to me on LFG once or twice and it's super satisfying when it does.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

Thanks for the offer!

I'm kinda taking that approach as well with it, as most of you guys should know fights, and oh man really don't want to subject you all to another night of my terrible voice.

So I didn't see the PM about this raid run until a few minutes ago. I must have clicked it by mistake a while back without realizing it because it wasn't showing as new. Anyways, I signed up! Haven't raided in a couple weeks now and I'm feeling the jitters.

• ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Any time I get spammed with invites, I finish up whatever I was doing, then find the offender, point at them, teabag, jump off the tower, then go to orbit during the respawn screen.

"Hey! Is that Spider dude here (to carry us)?!"
    tumblr_lvew3rlcue1r675ano1_500.gif

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Golgoroth's challenge should be to Never lose the Gaze, or to at the very least, never lose the gaze before all 6 orbs are used up, or to win with always having done 6 transitions each time you grab the gaze, or something to that effect. I think that's how the fight is intended to be done, its just kinda harder to do that way because of less dpsers and more positioning coordination, combined with the very limited timer.

Daughters... doing it in 2 runs should be challenge enough. Killing the second one from full with the buff it gets as the sole survivor should be the way to do it.

Oryx... I honestly wouldn't add much onto this that you wouldn't already be doing. Not allowing a Light Bomb to be removed by a Knight sounds like a fine enough challenge to me, as just not dying is already the hardest challenge imaginable in my mind, and screwing up nearly anything else is already an instant wipe.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Menasor wrote: »
    Golgoroth's challenge should be to Never lose the Gaze, or to at the very least, never lose the gaze before all 6 orbs are used up, or to win with always having done 6 transitions each time you grab the gaze, or something to that effect. I think that's how the fight is intended to be done, its just kinda harder to do that way because of less dpsers and more positioning coordination, combined with the very limited timer.

Daughters... doing it in 2 runs should be challenge enough. Killing the second one from full with the buff it gets as the sole survivor should be the way to do it.

Oryx... I honestly wouldn't add much onto this that you wouldn't already be doing. Not allowing a Light Bomb to be removed by a Knight sounds like a fine enough challenge to me, as just not dying is already the hardest challenge imaginable in my mind, and screwing up nearly anything else is already an instant wipe.

is there a challenge for Oryx? i thought it was just the other three. there are only 3 fragments left to collect to it would be odd for there to be a challenge that doesn't give one of those.

Wraith260 wrote: »
    Menasor wrote: »

is there a challenge for Oryx? i thought it was just the other three. there are only 3 fragments left to collect to it would be odd for there to be a challenge that doesn't give one of those.

There's a fragment for Golg, Warpriest and Oryx. Sisters might not have a challenge.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    There's a ship that hasn't been acquired yet that I'm aware of. Wouldn't shock me for that to be the reward for a no-death Oryx run or something like that.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    ok, i thought it was confirmed as challenges for Warpriest, Golg and the Sisters.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    ok, i thought it was confirmed as challenges for Warpriest, Golg and the Sisters.

Nah, Warpriest, Golg and Oryx.

I'm guessing it's going to run along a theme:
    Warpriest you can't have someone hold the Aura twice
    Golgoroth you can't have someone hold Gaze twice
    Oryx you can't have someone run the relic twice

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Given the non-challenge of Warpriest, I wouldn't be surprised if Golgoroth is just something like the orbs don't respawn.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Wife and I want to try out the Oryx raid sometime on the PS4. She's LL ~260ish, 270 maybe and I've got a 302 titan and a 290 Warlock

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Given the non-challenge of Warpriest, I wouldn't be surprised if Golgoroth is just something like the orbs don't respawn.

Given that the challenge occurs when you run the raid, it's not a special thing you go to from orbit, this can't be the case. It won't be something that changes the outward mechanics, you'll still be able to clear it like you always have. Instead you'll have to complete it in a specific way to earn the challenge rewards.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    edited December 2015
    Arch wrote: »
    Wife and I want to try out the Oryx raid sometime on the PS4. She's LL ~260ish, 270 maybe and I've got a 302 titan and a 290 Warlock

I'd get her up to 290-ish. If you guys need help running things add me and I'll go through Nightfall/spam heroics/bounty completion for rep stuff with you guys.

When she decrypts stuff from the dude, have her wear her highest light level stuff as well.

Edit: Not trying to stop you, and I mean some people did 4 man it, so its possibly doable to bring her along. Just I don't think you can really do much until 290. I could be wrong though.
    And I'd totally be down for joining up for the raid when you guys do it, if I'm able.

Radiation on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

I'd get her up to 290-ish. If you guys need help running things add me and I'll go through Nightfall/spam heroics/bounty completion for rep stuff with you guys.

I think I've added you (i'm Zinnar2) and we could do some heroic spams and some PVP for marks

Given that the challenge occurs when you run the raid, it's not a special thing you go to from orbit, this can't be the case. It won't be something that changes the outward mechanics, you'll still be able to clear it like you always have. Instead you'll have to complete it in a specific way to earn the challenge rewards.

Yeah. Most likely "you can't use the same orb twice" or "the same person can't take the gaze twice" or something. Maybe both.

edited December 2015
    Just spitballing what have beeen (IMO) better Warpriest challenges than what we got (with the limitation that you can't change the fight itself since apparently Bungie didn't want to go that route.

1) kill him without killing any red knights

2) kill him without killing any wizards

3) kill him without killing/exploding any cursed thrall

4) aura holder has to do >10% of Warpriests health in damage

5) kill him without any adds remaining alive

6) kill him after all the pillars have been destroyed

7) land the killing blow with a melee attack (this would be kinda hilarious. get the boss down to a sliver of health then everyone charges him together and hopes to land the melee before he swats you into oblivion)

Sir Landshark on
    )

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Eh, guess it's what they are going for with "challenge" mode. At least based on Warpriest, looks like they are going more for something that mixes up the group behavior, rather than adds even more risk and cries of bullshit like leaving certain adds alive or whatnot would have.

Making you switch relic runners each time in Daughters is one of my favorite mechanics, so pushing that angle for Oryx (though terrifying) sounds interesting. Having a situation where it's like "kill Oryx without killing the Vessel" would be silly and just extend the fight to an absurd degree.

But not having the challenges be in a separate instance means no wacky things like Warpriest is actually during jumping puzzle, or each loss of Golgo's gaze lights up the tablet of ruin. Boo-urns.

"Challenges" that reinforce the compelling content and mix up your patterns is nice, challenges that just ratchet up the DPS race or become even more random are less enjoyable.

shark's #3 there is everything that's wrong with the world

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I don't know why I was putting that off. Imprecation seven precision kills done in 3 matches.

In fact I got them done so quickly on that 3rd match I equipped my Bad Juju and nearly won the Rumble match.
    hatedeath_det.jpeg?v=1448063106

I'll try again after the rebalance when people are experimenting to find the new meta but I can't stand using hand cannons in PvE or PvP since TTK dropped.

I find Rumble is the place. Look for two people going at it in a fire fight, hope they don't trade, then headshot the winner for the kill.

Alternatively, we could take a fireteam into rumble and you could farm us for kills.

Unfortunately Rumble and I don't get along either. I ran the "play rumble" bounty last weekend and by the 4th (last) match I decided it was more fun to find corners in the map to hide in and then dance my congratulations when someone found me. I was surprisingly only found, and killed, 3 times if memory serves.

I may pester people to help farm it but I do want to give it another legitimate try after the patch.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    I don't know why I was putting that off. Imprecation seven precision kills done in 3 matches.

In fact I got them done so quickly on that 3rd match I equipped my Bad Juju and nearly won the Rumble match.
    hatedeath_det.jpeg?v=1448063106

I'll try again after the rebalance when people are experimenting to find the new meta but I can't stand using hand cannons in PvE or PvP since TTK dropped.

I find Rumble is the place. Look for two people going at it in a fire fight, hope they don't trade, then headshot the winner for the kill.

Alternatively, we could take a fireteam into rumble and you could farm us for kills.

Unfortunately Rumble and I don't get along either. I ran the "play rumble" bounty last weekend and by the 4th (last) match I decided it was more fun to find corners in the map to hide in and then dance my congratulations when someone found me. I was surprisingly only found, and killed, 3 times if memory serves.

I may pester people to help farm it but I do want to give it another legitimate try after the patch.

oh rumble sucks

the only reason you go rumble is with a fireteam of two other people who are there just to let you kill them

Just spitballing what have beeen (IMO) better Warpriest challenges than what we got (with the limitation that you can't change the fight itself since apparently Bungie didn't want to go that route.

1) kill him without killing any yellow knights

2) kill him without killing any wizards

3) kill him without killing/exploding any cursed thrall

4) aura holder has to do >10% of Warpriests health in damage

5) kill him without any adds remaining alive

6) kill him after all the pillars have been destroyed

7) land the killing blow with a melee attack (this would be kinda hilarious. get the boss down to a sliver of health then everyone charges him together and hopes to land the melee before he swats you into oblivion)

Is #1 possible? I thought you had to kill the knights to get the glyph sequence.

Eh, guess it's what they are going for with "challenge" mode. At least based on Warpriest, looks like they are going more for something that mixes up the group behavior, rather than adds even more risk and cries of bullshit like leaving certain adds alive or whatnot would have.

Making you switch relic runners each time in Daughters is one of my favorite mechanics, so pushing that angle for Oryx (though terrifying) sounds interesting. Having a situation where it's like "kill Oryx without killing the Vessel" would be silly and just extend the fight to an absurd degree.

But not having the challenges be in a separate instance means no wacky things like Warpriest is actually during jumping puzzle, or each loss of Golgo's gaze lights up the tablet of ruin. Boo-urns.

"Challenges" that reinforce the compelling content and mix up your patterns is nice, challenges that just ratchet up the DPS race or become even more random are less enjoyable.

I guess I just don't see how it qualifies as a challenge. It's only a challenge for those people that wanted to get carried through the raid and avoid doing anything of consequence (and really, you could still set it up where 2 people could get carried through the Warpriest challenge).

Chanus wrote: »
    shark's #3 there is everything that's wrong with the world

chanus walk with me while i tell you the tales of Yogg0

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular

I guess I just don't see how it qualifies as a challenge. It's only a challenge for those people that wanted to get carried through the raid and avoid doing anything of consequence (and really, you could still set it up where 2 people could get carried through the Warpriest challenge).

Raids for many teams are about defined roles. Shield-bearer. Sword-wielder. Relic-runner. For War-priest fight we tend to have people in defined groups of 2 with people slated in mid for callouts, people who hop on platforms first, etc.

Sure, it's a minor switch-up to say you have to rotate roles, but that role rotation alone provides a challenge that actually encourages a change in how you approach the encounter. It gives everyone a chance and near-mandate to participate (if many groups need at least three activations to drop the Warpriest, that's at minimum half the group each time getting the aura), without limiting certain classes. And getting people out of their comfort zone does that. Hell, remember when Atheon's teleport became random and some people immediately cried out they couldn't complete the encounter since then everyone needed to learn the relic?

A challenge like "don't kill X enemy type" would likely devolve into things like groups only running challenge mode with certain classes (Saint-14 bubbles or stealth or other defensive strategies). They need a challenge that can allow players of disparate skill, gear, and composition to have chance at success.

It certainly means some challenges may not be altogether challenging for some groups. But I think it may make it more fun and less rote, which is the real danger to avoid in the raid.