As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Iron Banner: Game of the Year Edition

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I have to admit.

Bungie made the best feeling console FPS ever. Seriously, no other FPS just feels as good as Destiny. I honestly can't wait for Destiny 2 and I can't wait to see what Bungie can do without being held back by last gen.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I've noticed that, in Vanilla, it's extremely difficult to find any non-purchased equipment higher than level 26. Is this just them not bothering to update things for Vanilla, or some sort of known design decision?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Vanilla drop rate is fucking torture for no reason what so ever.

• Options
    Interesting, and good to know, thanks!

• Options
    May I ask why you're playing Vanilla?

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Warpriest encounter got me:
    310 Thunderlord
    Exotic special weapon engram
    310 sniper
    320 machine gun (with life leech!)
    320 artifact (int/disc)
    310 artifact (int/disc)
    Legendary glove engram

I think I'm going to like challenge mode!

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Warpriest encounter got me:
    310 Thunderlord
    Exotic special weapon engram
    310 sniper
    320 machine gun (with life leech!)
    320 artifact (int/disc)
    310 artifact (int/disc)
    Legendary glove engram

I think I'm going to like challenge mode!

holy moly

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Ok yeah challenge mode will definitely need to happen later in the week if drops.like that are possible. Tonight sleep claims me, but I got your number, Warpriesr?

Also does one of the remaining emblems drop off challenge mode Warpriest?

• Options
    So how does this challenge mode work?

I honestly haven't done HM raid because the raid armor just looks dumb. I mean seriously, look at this. I won destiny.

Screenshot-Original%202_zpskq9hofn0.png

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    OMG I am leveling too fast and now I am worried I will have to learn how to play this game... (I'm 35).

It seems like any useful information out there just assumes one played the vanilla game, so a loser like me is totally lost. I think I have grasped the basics of how everything functions. I get engrams, infusion, the factions, etc. But the overwhelming choices presented are a bit daunting. Should I be trying to buy some stuff right away, do strikes, farm something... I dunno.

My advice for newly minted end gamers is as follows:

Don't bother infusing things until your light level is 270+

Use your marks to buy a vanguard ghost asap, as you will see below there are lots of rewards that will give you the weapons you need to get started and while you are grinding that you're quite likely to get gear better than you would buy in the time it takes to save the marks. Ghosts at high levels are just rare.

At level 38 you can begin doing gunsmith weapon prototype tests, getting to level 1 is a very easy way to get a level 280 weapon legendary weapon in the slot of your choice. This will usually take two cycles (starting at Wednesday reset - not sure on the exact day as I am in the future, the day after the weekly things update) unless you find a particular random drop which you can hand in for a bonus 200 rep.

The Taken War: Earth will offer a 250 special weapon upon completion, I think the other ones give you a 250 primary and heavy

Another, similar quest that I completed just recently but do not recall will give you a 280 primary - I think it could be the story mission lost to the light

Completing Endless War/War Neverending for Ikora will give you a level 300 special weapon

Completing Depose the Court will give you a level 300 Artifact

Getting level 3 in queen's wrath reputation and completing all of petra's quests will see you get a 290 exotic primary. However this rep is slow to farm, so you will probably already be raiding and nightfalling before it drops

You get your exotic sword quest by infusing your legendary sword to 280+ and activating each of its upgrades.

Ghosts that detect spinmetal, helium and relic iron are valuable. Helium detectors cannot be purchased at present so be careful when dismantling them.

You can never have enough hadium flakes.

3oC don't work like the description says, don't pop them all at once

Xur's artifacts represent a good deal when you are sub-LL 280, but are very expensive to upgrade. You will find that your major blockage is gear with higher light levels and weapon/armor parts probably, and upgrading exotics from level 280 just makes it worse.

The maximum you can upgrade an exotic without the result being less than the higher gear's light level is 4, for legendaries it is 6. It may be cheaper in a holistic perspective to infuse more times and use more gear but to preserve the gear with the higher numbers - i.e. Rather than using 2 298's it is probably better value over all to use a 286, 292 and 298 assuming it is a legendary and you start from 280

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Does anyone else who only has time to play their main get class envy... my lvl40 Titan is great and all, but those Hunters tho....

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Yeah those hunters trying to do jumping puzzles.....

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Yeah those hunters trying to do jumping puzzles.....

Piece of cake with Bones of Eo

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Apothe0sis

YUSSSS!

Thank you so much for putting all of this into one concise post... I've been fumbling for a couple of weeks trying to find the best route to gear my Titan and now I have a checklist of stuff to do!

Edit - probably didn't need to requote the whole wall of text... this is tidier.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Also, my advice is always be cool and try and complete a taken invasion even if you don't need it

Don't be the pug who stops putting hurt on a zealot to go and do a stupid kill the target public event

Let everyone know you want to do an antiquated rune because they usually require a different load out to the other rune types

• Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    OMG I am leveling too fast and now I am worried I will have to learn how to play this game... (I'm 35).

It seems like any useful information out there just assumes one played the vanilla game, so a loser like me is totally lost. I think I have grasped the basics of how everything functions. I get engrams, infusion, the factions, etc. But the overwhelming choices presented are a bit daunting. Should I be trying to buy some stuff right away, do strikes, farm something... I dunno.

Use your marks to buy a vanguard ghost asap, as you will see below there are lots of rewards that will give you the weapons you need to get started and while you are grinding that you're quite likely to get gear better than you would buy in the time it takes to save the marks. Ghosts at high levels are just rare.

At level 38 you can begin doing gunsmith weapon prototype tests, getting to level 1 is a very easy way to get a level 280 weapon legendary weapon in the slot of your choice. This will usually take two cycles (starting at Wednesday reset - not sure on the exact day as I am in the future, the day after the weekly things update) unless you find a particular random drop which you can hand in for a bonus 200 rep.

The Taken War: Earth will offer a 250 special weapon upon completion, I think the other ones give you a 250 primary and heavy

Another, similar quest that I completed just recently but do not recall will give you a 280 primary - I think it could be the story mission lost to the light

Completing Endless War/War Neverending for Ikora will give you a level 300 special weapon

Getting level 3 in queen's wrath reputation and completing all of petra's quests will see you get a 290 exotic primary. However this rep is slow to farm, so you will probably already be raiding and nightfalling before it drops

You get your exotic sword quest by infusing your legendary sword to 280+ and activating each of its upgrades.

Ghosts that detect spinmetal, helium and relic iron are valuable. Helium detectors cannot be purchased at present so be careful when dismantling them.

Xur's artifacts represent a good deal when you are sub-LL 280, but are very expensive to upgrade. You will find that your major blockage is gear with higher light levels and weapon/armor parts probably, and upgrading exotics from level 280 just makes it worse.

The maximum you can upgrade an exotic without the result being less than the higher gear's light level is 4, for legendaries it is 6. It may be cheaper in a holistic perspective to infuse more times and use more gear but to preserve the gear with the higher numbers - i.e. Rather than using 2 298's it is probably better value over all to use a 286, 292 and 298 assuming it is a legendary and you start from 280

YUSSSS!

Thank you so much for putting all of this into one concise post... I've been fumbling for a couple of weeks trying to find the best route to gear my Titan and now I have a checklist of stuff to do!

It is sort of incomplete for the lower tier stuff. You can get level 200 weapons for doing particular vanguard missions as well,.

However, you are welcome, I had been looking for something similar back in the day and this is what I have come up with, unfortunately, I tend to spend a while between visiting the tower and collecting rewards because my everything is full otherwise I could have been more exact

• Options
    weddellkwweddellkw PNWRegistered User regular
    I've got time for one more run up to warpriest, possibly to golg/daughters if we're quick...anyone interested (XBone) ? @Custom Special

XBL: The SquidProQuo
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Ok yeah challenge mode will definitely need to happen later in the week if drops.like that are possible. Tonight sleep claims me, but I got your number, Warpriesr?

Yep, got an emblem out of it too!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    challenge mode HM was the smoothest oryx raid i've ever done despite all my efforts to stink it up. we downed the sisters in what felt like 30 seconds (i know it wasn't)

didn't go for oryx but who has the time?

i'm 311 now

got a lot of new things

thanks for the run, guys

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

YUSSSS!

It is sort of incomplete for the lower tier stuff. You can get level 200 weapons for doing particular vanguard missions as well,.

However, you are welcome, I had been looking for something similar back in the day and this is what I have come up with, unfortunately, I tend to spend a while between visiting the tower and collecting rewards because my everything is full otherwise I could have been more exact

The only other MMO I've ever put time into was WoW and raid gearing in that was as simple as sorting loot tables in Wowhead to find what I needed... I've yet to find a resource like that for Destiny, so incomplete or not your post is the most concise list of DO THIS = GET GEAR I've found so far.

It also seems like a LOT of articles on popular gaming sites relating to Destiny gearing are 2/3rds clickbait and fekking slideshows.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    @Apothe0sis

YUSSSS!

Edit - probably didn't need to requote the whole wall of text... this is tidier.

Another quick exotic tip: Go find a group to beat a Prison of Elders run if you have a lot of marks and a treasure key. The first time a character beats any of them and uses a treasure key to open the big chest at the end nets a nearly guaranteed Year One exotic. Then, if it's an exotic that has a Year 2 version (soon to be most of them with the December update), you can just buy that for marks at the collection screens in the room with the Vanguard leaders. If you don't have a treasure key, you get them through finishing Petra's bounties and quests, with a small chance of getting them at the end of a PoE run. Beating Skolas (level 35 PoE) is the only* way to get the 3 PoE exotics (Queenbreaker's Bow, Lord of Wolves, Dreg's Promise) but they don't have Y2 versions, so don't worry too much about it.

*You can also get them out of Xur's legacy engrams, but those are expensive and the odds are not good.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

i think so. got one i haven't seen before but i could be wrong. i'd screenshot it but i have no idea how on xbone :P

• Options
    weddellkwweddellkw PNWRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

i think so. got one i haven't seen before but i could be wrong. i'd screenshot it but i have no idea how on xbone :P

Yes, 'Worm God's Servant' is a challenge drop from Warpriest.

XBL: The SquidProQuo
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    @Apothe0sis

YUSSSS!

Another quick exotic tip: Go find a group to beat a Prison of Elders run if you have a lot of marks and a treasure key. The first time a character beats any of them and uses a treasure key to open the big chest at the end nets a nearly guaranteed Year One exotic. Then, if it's an exotic that has a Year 2 version (soon to be most of them with the December update), you can just buy that for marks at the collection screens in the room with the Vanguard leaders. If you don't have a treasure key, you get them through finishing Petra's bounties and quests, with a small chance of getting them at the end of a PoE run. Beating Skolas (level 35 PoE) is the only* way to get the 3 PoE exotics (Queenbreaker's Bow, Lord of Wolves, Dreg's Promise) but they don't have Y2 versions, so don't worry too much about it.

*You can also get them out of Xur's legacy engrams, but those are expensive and the odds are not good.

I did this by accident the other day actually... Didn't really know what prison of elders was but pugged into the first part of it and got a Y1 Thunderlord.

On the subject of Xur... is there anything he sells that's particularly worth waiting for? I'm not at a stage where I'm focusing on exotics yet, so I haven't read up much on them... I'm still working on light level atm (just shy of 260).

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    @apothe0sis OK here's how we did the door/rune thing (what's the official name for this event? Trials of the Warpriest or something?)

Obviously you need two teams of two. The fight opens like normal. One person on each side heads down to grab the buff while two people stay in the middle to clear acolytes/adepts. Once everything is dead in the middle, they should head down to join their respective partners at the totems.

5 seconds before the buff transfer happens, the guys with the buff start counting down. At 3 seconds, walk back towards the middle in tandem until the buff transfer happens. At that point, the guy with the power sprints to the middle and the guy with the aura sprints back to the totems.

The guy with the aura will then have the following kill priority. Sword Knights (if any make it from middle) > Boomer Knight > thrall >> acolytes. Basically the acolytes are only killed if there's nothing else to shoot, as they represent an extremely low threat compared to getting melee'd by a thrall as you're trying to snipe the boomer knight or dealing with a sword knight. If a sword knight ever makes it down from the middle (more on this in a bit) absolutely use heavy/supers to clear them up ASAP.

The two guys in the middle will have to decide which is going to be on wizard duty. Definitely don't waste time with two people killing the wizard, as you need to be on top of the thralls and it's relatively painless for one person to kill the wizard quickly with a decent solar machine gun. If your super is up, might as well use it because it often gets drained during the buff transfer as the totems activate. Later on, when sword knights start coming out, the non-wizard person needs to be focusing them down as best as he can. Again, a heavy machine gun works wonders here. If one gets out of the middle area at all it needs to be immediately communicated so that the guy with the aura can immediately start sniping him.

As soon as the middle person's stacks are gone (this is key, you cannot dally in the middle at all, even if that wizard is half health or there's a knight you really want to finish off) they need to immediately sprint back to the totems and communicate to the totem person that they are doing so. The totem person should look at their timer and judge when to sprint out to make the transfer. Ideally this is between 3 and 4 seconds left on the timer. If you leave at 5 or greater seconds you will make the transfer too far away from the totems and die to the annihilator totem. The ideal transfer spot is about halfway between the totem and where the aura buff is picked up at the beginning of the fight. If for whatever reason the middle person was slow and is clearly not going to make it for the transfer (it is a bit generous, you seem to get an extra half-second or so after timer reaches 0) the only way to recover is for the totem person to stay at the totem and have the middle person wait where the buff respawns. Once it respawns, then proceed as normal. The damage without having the protective aura will not immediately kill you (it can also be blocked with the sword apparently but we all used HMGs for the wizards/knights).

That's basically it. We found the most common cause of death is by far the annihilator totems due to either the aura holder leaving too soon and/or the buff transfer happening too far away from the totems. Other occasional deaths were to the sword knights and maybe 1-2 wipes to the combination of boomer knight fire and thrall melees.

As far as how this would help your 6 man group recover from a death, if your aura holder dies the other guy at the totem may be able to last long enough without the aura until one of the middle guys expends their power stacks and can come grab the respawned aura. If your non-aura holder dies, same thing (hold the totem, don't go middle with the power), and you should definitely have time. If the middle guy dies with power you should be fine. The next guy coming middle can get him up.

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I got a bunch of spam invites as well from 1 guy for trials. My gear is barely 300 and I can't believe he checked my profile so I'm going to believe he was just desperate.

Just be like me and be so bad no one ever asks you for anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I am completely out of exotic shards, and 3oC has been giving me fuckall lately. What happened to upgraded exotics giving 2 shards instead of one? Is that completely gone, or is it just stupid uncommon now?

rndmhero on
  • Options

$$

I'm in the industry, so I basically had to get some experience with it, but I don't have a Next Gen console just yet, and I'm not buying the whole game twice. :P

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I am completely out of exotic shards, and 3oC has been giving me fuckall lately. What happened to upgraded exotics giving 2 shards instead of one? Is that completely gone, or is it just stupid uncommon now?

Uncommon. I always forget that its a thing and will be pleasantly surprised when I get 2

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »

Uncommon. I always forget that its a thing and will be pleasantly surprised when I get 2

Grr. Is PoE chest worth farming for exotics after the first time? I've got a ton of those keys laying around, I think.

I also have a handful of quests I've ignored (NTTE, Black Spindle on alt, etc) but may end up finishing just so I can shard the things.

• Options
    Yeah, my 3oC luck has gone completely garbage in the past few weeks. What is that about?

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    On the subject of Xur... is there anything he sells that's particularly worth waiting for? I'm not at a stage where I'm focusing on exotics yet, so I haven't read up much on them... I'm still working on light level atm (just shy of 260).
    Well, provided that you don't get an Exotic piece of armor before it is Friday :wink: it might be nice just to buy the exotic piece of armor for your class.
    But I believe Xur sells a random piece of armor engram every two weeks, and he wasn't selling one last week, you might try "engrambling".

Also, you can enter the most brutal of PvP (the Trials of Osiris) as soon as you have 250 Light (something which I did when trying to complete my last 3 matches, when wearing a Halloween Skull Mask and running around with a Gjallahorn for shits and giggles); you only need a fireteam of 3 for that. You won't be killing a lot of people, but as Tirals of Osiris is basically "complete 10 matches, get 75 kills as a FireTeam" for the Gold tier Bounty which will net you either a 300+ weapon or piece of armor.

Sure, you will not do a lot of damage and die a lot, but hey, I always die a lot in Trials too, and you can always see if I'm online, if I have a "Trials for Bounties" party running; I'm not good enough to get to the Lighthouse, but the bounties are easy for the loot that they provide. It's good for getting a piece of good loot, and even if you don't gain any Light till then, it has a chance of dropping 260-270 light level purple armor.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    ITT: "The new challenge mode doesn't kick me in the balls enough. I want to be kicked harder in the balls for my rewards."

You people are crazy. I will happily take an easier challenge for guaranteed 320 drops.

Welcome to Dark Souls!

• Options
    Unicron80Unicron80 Registered User regular

If you're on ps4, throw me a friend invite. I'm Hawkbeard. I'd be happy to party up and go through some of this stuff in game, join you on some missions.

I'm sure others have already addressed your concerns, but there's really no way to fuck it up. If I were in your shoes I'd just focus on beating the taken king story line, and then completing whatever quests sound fun. Hell, I still have 8+ quests in my queue right now.

Once you hit 40 things start to open up, in a good way.

Steam: Unicron80 PSN: Hawkbeard
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

$$

I'm in the industry, so I basically had to get some experience with it, but I don't have a Next Gen console just yet, and I'm not buying the whole game twice. :P

Well, as far as buying the whole game twice - unless you go out of your way to buy a vanilla copy of Destiny and then also pick up the two DLCs you pretty much have to buy it twice as the Taken King Legendary Edition is basically the standard edition now. You can only grab TTK by itself if you own all of the previous content already.

In regards to stuff not dropping/being harder to find at 26 - That's the level that TTK content starts, so outside of random world engram drops turning into what you need, that's probably how it is slightly gated off in the form of quest content.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    lakhesislakhesis Registered User regular
    Imprecation is done.

I have no idea what made the difference, but when I sat down to take another shot at it last night, I managed it in my first game. I strongly suspect @CptHamilton's 'fail until you are failure king' method had a hand in my sudden success. I got trampled on for days, and when I wasn't getting destroyed, the game kept spitting up mid to long range focused maps.

PSN: strangerfork
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    lakhesis wrote: »
    Imprecation is done.

I have no idea what made the difference, but when I sat down to take another shot at it last night, I managed it in my first game. I strongly suspect @CptHamilton's 'fail until you are failure king' method had a hand in my sudden success. I got trampled on for days, and when I wasn't getting destroyed, the game kept spitting up mid to long range focused maps.

Y'know what they say:

That which kills you makes your inability to kill anything else slightly less absolute.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Warframe (and spending non-Destiny time with my wife) has been eating my playing time the past week or so, but I'd love to get in on the HM warpriest challenge sometime this week on XB1. If I'm in Destiny or Warframe and not already in a party shoot me an invite. Hell if I'm in a party and playing Warframe come try and recruit me as I'm most likely in there with DarkeWolfe and Booker and they'll understand. :wink:

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    PA has spoiled me so I dont feel like playing with anyone from DestinyLFG etc. at all, unfortunately that also means I raid once a week on a single character right now, most of the100 raids are at 3-6AM, a little late for my taste.

We need more europeans on the PA Xboner list.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    PA has spoiled me so I dont feel like playing with anyone from DestinyLFG etc. at all, unfortunately that also means I raid once a week on a single character right now, most of the100 raids are at 3-6AM, a little late for my taste.

We need more europeans on the PA Xboner list.

i am happy to do earlier weekend raids on xbone if there are enough euro folks around who want to do them

can't do much about during the week though