As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So, Tomorrow is WorldWide D&D Day.

KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Critical Failures
And I'm signed up.

Picked up a replacement Player's Guide.

No note on what campaign we're running, other than we're apparently either going to start at 1, 4th, or 9th level.

So, what I would like to do is create a fun character that is also a pun. But not an obvious one -- one that would get me hit about 3 hours in when they realize what's up. Alternately, something interesting an memorable, and a bit off the wall.

Current running ideas:

A Half-Orc Bard modeled after Gene Simmons of KISS (I would describe my "tribal tattoos" off hand, and go into detail later. My instrument would be a oversized lute.)

A Human Monk modeled after Rowan Atkinson. He would be mute and have a small totem of a bear. More importantly, I would randomly get him into absurd situations, like getting himself locked into a treasure chest, or having him try to mix the potion collection (to make it easier to carry).

Dwarven Druid. Instead of a treehugger, a rockhugger!

Elven Barbarian. Picture a berserker with a polite british accent.

Kobold Swashbuckler, wielding a rapier two handed. Hiding behind the mages.

Gnome Monk.

Paladin of the Goddess of Fertility / Love (Forget her name offhand -- can anyone help? Edit: Sune?). The one I'm thinking of had temples that were combination holy places / marrage councilers / rumoured to be brothels / etc. Basically, the most perverted holy man I can do, while still being LG and a Paladin.

KiTA on

• Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    the gene simmons one is by far the best idea

Carl with a K on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That is nice, yes. You'd need some big boots. And armor spikes. A fighter/bard would be good!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You could be a Human Sorcerer who specializes in fighting with balls. And when they hit people you can call out "Strike!". You will also need a set of fingerless gloves, a collared t-shirt, and matching pants. Perhaps a cohort or two similarly dressed.

Otherwise you could be a V clone. Always talking with words that share the same letter and wearing a mask all the time. I would suggest a Human Rogue for it simply because of the number of skills you would get at the beginning and the bonus feat a lv1.

Otherwise, you could be a Human Fighter will large spikey blonde hair and a Bastard Sword that has lost the use of his vocal chords from previous military service.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    KiTA wrote:
    And I'm signed up.

Picked up a replacement Player's Guide.

No note on what campaign we're running, other than we're apparently either going to start at 1, 4th, or 9th level.

So, what I would like to do is create a fun character that is also a pun. But not an obvious one -- one that would get me hit about 3 hours in when they realize what's up. Alternately, something interesting an memorable, and a bit off the wall.

Current running ideas:

A Half-Orc Bard modeled after Gene Simmons of KISS (I would describe my "tribal tattoos" off hand, and go into detail later. My instrument would be a oversized lute.)

A Human Monk modeled after Rowan Atkinson. He would be mute and have a small totem of a bear. More importantly, I would randomly get him into absurd situations, like getting himself locked into a treasure chest, or having him try to mix the potion collection (to make it easier to carry).

Dwarven Druid. Instead of a treehugger, a rockhugger!

Elven Barbarian. Picture a berserker with a polite british accent.

Kobold Swashbuckler, wielding a rapier two handed. Hiding behind the mages.

Gnome Monk.

Paladin of the Goddess of Fertility / Love (Forget her name offhand -- can anyone help? Edit: Sune?). The one I'm thinking of had temples that were combination holy places / marrage councilers / rumoured to be brothels / etc. Basically, the most perverted holy man I can do, while still being LG and a Paladin.

In a campaign I'm in (currently on hiatus) I'm that exact thing. It's not bad. And certainly serves to diversify the rest of the PC group that is human.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I had a friend that made Akumagnome. Scarey.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Back, played for 6 hours then headed home. 2 campaigns, the official RPGA (which we accidently skipped half of and went straight to the last boss) and one the 13 year old DM (!!) had thought up in his mind.

Official RPGA one involved a corrupted Abby, which some moron had summoned a Hellcat in. (it's the new transparent plastic figurine in the Blood War set). Ideally, you're supposed to clean out the top floor, then go in the basement and find some +2 Good Aligned gear to take out the hellcat.

Instead we accidently went straight to the room with the hellcat (which, I believe was supposed to be locked) and fought it for about TWO HOURS REAL TIME.

In the end we one after 1 player died. The Hellcat got stuck in some mud created by a level 2 wizard spell, and we slowly ganked it.

The other campaign was also pretty good. Involved a creepy moon elf house built underground.

In the end, the wizard took his pet cat, shoved a magical gear into it's back, and it turned into this big clockwork cat... thing. I got knocked to -4, healed for 8 and ran (I was playing a Human Fighter). I got far enough away that the cat, charging me, could not make any attacks. So, figuring I was fucked either way, I turned around and made a grapple check.

The DM rolled a natural 1. We all laughed, since even then it was going to win unless I rolled a natural 20.

We were asked to quiet down after about 5 seconds of us all staring at the dice in disbelief, then my partymates screaming "Holy shit" as my character ninja-leaped over a pissed off cat-demon-thing, landed on it's back, and used his strength to rip a bigass gear out of it's back, breaking the enchantment.

KiTA on
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I ran two games of the prepackaged adventure for my friend's game shop.

First time around was vanilla. Fighter died when the wizard doublecritted his face with a bow. Hellcat ate the shit out of the ranger. Pounce and Rake, bitches. The Paladin tried so goddamned hard to die but he never succeeded. Just kept eating dirt for the party.

Second time through I just made stuff up (four of the players had already played through and wanted to play again). There was an amazing trap, the wizard ended up with the real Avernian Codex and immediately started trying to summon demons, and I gave the rogue a cursed dagger that traded blood for impressive damage, but killed your friends while you slept. That time through I had a huge pit trap that was practically unsurvivable. All they had to do was make a dc 5 jump check to avoid it, but the ranger, of all people, botched it. Ranger tries to use adamant short sword to stab into the soft wall. Rolls a one. Cleric uses stone-to-mud and sticks his arm in. Tries to grab the paladin as he falls past. I tell the dwarf that it will be a DC 18 strength check to save the paladin, and if he fails, they both fall, if he doesn't try, he lives. After much mulling it over, he rolls. Before it finishes rolling I tell him it doesn't matter, I was just trying to see if he'd be noble and risk it. Die lands on an 18.

Good stuff. Then the hellcat kills the fighter dead.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What was in the basement / rest of the crypt? We accidently went from the flaming library directly to the hellcat. (I am assuming it was supposed to be locked and the DM forgot.)

KiTA on
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The crypt area held a terror wight, a flameskull, a gargoyle, and some other stuff. Not too shabby. After you kill all them, you got a scroll of align weapon, a scroll of holy smite, a scroll of restoration, and a scroll of see invisibility.

The door was not locked and you totally could just go that route, but the NPC friar who wakes you was supposed to tell you that there were scrolls to help you defeat the monster. Etc.

Anthrax! Please. on