As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sunday bike ride

a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRKRegistered User regular
i plan on bringing my roadbike to boston with me so i can roam around boston on sunday and do some sight seeing.any else interested in doing a group ride?dont have a route in mind just yet but 1 can be made depending on how many people want to go.

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Sounds like a great idea, Boston has a bike share program for those that want to join in but don't have or want to bring their own bike http://www.thehubway.com

• Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    indeed.aslong as my hotel can hold my bike in there bagage hold i should be all set.other wise its going into the hotel room bathroom lmao.also this wont be a hardcore bike ride,just a leisurely ride around boston.do some sight seeing and such.

a fraking toaster on
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    This year on the Thursday afternoon my friends and I walked the Freedom Trail all the way to the Bunker Hill monument, always wanted to see that. Weather was a bit rough but the sightseeing was enjoyable. In warmer weather, on a bike, it will be even better.

• Options
    hey thats a great idea.any idea how many miles it is?

• Options
    just googled it.its 2.5 miles,so 5 miles round trip.sounds like a plan to me

• Options
    bandersneebandersnee Registered User regular
    i plan on bringing my roadbike to boston with me so i can roam around boston on sunday and do some sight seeing.any else interested in doing a group ride?dont have a route in mind just yet but 1 can be made depending on how many people want to go.

There are PLENTY of awesome places to bike in Boston. It really depends on what kind of experience you want, though. Do you prefer an urban ride through the city streets, a designated trail for hiking/biking along the river, or perhaps something that is a more dedicated bikeway?

And what kind of distance sounds like the experience you want? There is the minuteman trail that can take you up to 30 miles round trip, if you do the whole thing. A riverway trip can easily be in the 0-10 mile range. Especially if you want to bike through the promenade, though that will almost certainly be well populated on a Spring Sunday.

• Options
    pilotman996pilotman996 Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Sounds like a great idea, Boston has a bike share program for those that want to join in but don't have or want to bring their own bike http://www.thehubway.com

I just want to say, although this program exists, it is very expensive for trips over 30 minutes, best bet is to bring your own bike or find someone to lend you one

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • Options
    bandersneebandersnee Registered User regular

I just want to say, although this program exists, it is very expensive for trips over 30 minutes, best bet is to bring your own bike or find someone to lend you one

Too true. If you're set on going the rental direction, there are other, much cheaper alternatives. Once or twice I've seen someone who has chained up a Hubway outside a store or at a park, and I can't help but think that the person either 1) didn't know what was going on, 2) was really desperate, or 3) really really hates money.

Speaking of one of those cheaper alternatives:
    https://www.zerve.com/adventours/rental

• Options
    ya i looked at renting a bike 2 paxes ago and it was just ridiculously priced..id much rather bring 2 and loan 1 then have sum 1 have to rent 1 anyways.

about the routes.i have no clue whats out there in boston for trails,distance will be decided once we figure out what everyones level of riding is and how comfortable they are .personally i can do up to 30 miles with no issue.
    i would like to stop at the uss cassin young and uss constitution and take some pictures and such.if anyone has anything specific they want to stop and see then we can add it into the list of stops.

• Options
    edited November 2015

Just giving an option for those that may want to participate and can not for logistical reasons or not cost effective for them to bring their own bikes...there are plenty of bike rental options in Boston, but not many in the general vicinity of the con, and if you can arrange to have someone local lend you there's then I say go for it!

I don't think the Hub rental prices are too bad, 72-Hour membership ($12), or 24-Hour membership ($6), these memberships are for unlimited rides up to 30-minute, $2 for additional time up to 60-minutes, $4 for additional time up to 90 minutes. But if you want to have the bike for the entire day, or convention, then your best bet would be renting from local bike shops.

ClannMorgan on
  • Options
    what time would we wana do this?i usually dont go sundays and use it as a hang around town day.how long do we wana be out for?

• Options
    edited November 2015

Just giving an option for those that may want to participate and can not for logistical reasons or not cost effective for them to bring their own bikes...there are plenty of bike rental options in Boston, but not many in the general vicinity of the con, and if you can arrange to have someone local lend you there's then I say go for it!

I don't think the Hub rental prices are too bad, 72-Hour membership ($12), or 24-Hour membership ($6), these memberships are for unlimited rides up to 30-minute, $2 for additional time up to 60-minutes, $4 for additional time up to 90 minutes. But if you want to have the bike for the entire day, or convention, then your best bet would be renting from local bike shops.

Agree about the bike rentals, no place in the city of Boston has "reasonable" pricing.

With the HubWay system, they also charge your credit/debit card $90 dollars every time you check out a bike (as an insurance collateral) which if you're near your credit limit paying for hotels and stuff, could put a wrench in your day.
    Other than that, it's not that bad and the stations all over the city means that you have the ability to ride, park it in a station, walk around, and then pick up another bike for a half hour again

pilotman996 on
    q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • Options
    aslong as my hotel doesnt mind holding 2 bikes in there baggage hold then ill be bringing a spare in case somebody cant bring theres.

• Options
    nomisronomisro Brooklyn, NY, USARegistered User regular
    what time sunday you plan to do this bike ride? I can probably bring my foldable bikes if my hotel has room to stash it during the con.

• Options
    probably morning around 10-11? im free all day so whatever time everyone else is ok with.

• Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Sorry for missing your question, yeah it's not far at all for a bike and you could stop to see places like the Old North Church.
    I just checked and you can climb the Bunker Hill Monument. Would be a bit tiring I imagine, but I'd like to do that this year if I can fit it in.
    I go to PAX all three days but year before this one I was doing sightseeing until like 1:30 on Sunday to get some fresh air and away from the crowds a bit, then returned to PAX. This year with the snow I was there on Sunday until after the 6 PM close of the expo hall for the Intel drawing. If weather is nice though I may take time again on Sunday to go outside next year.

• Options
    why cant i have nice things? my road bike was stolen last night.thankfully i got a backup for such occasions.

• Options
    why cant i have nice things? my road bike was stolen last night.thankfully i got a backup for such occasions.

Wow, that's awful. Sorry that happened to you. I'm glad you have a back up, but it still really stinks.

• Options
    Karoneth wrote: »
    Sorry for missing your question, yeah it's not far at all for a bike and you could stop to see places like the Old North Church.
    I just checked and you can climb the Bunker Hill Monument. Would be a bit tiring I imagine, but I'd like to do that this year if I can fit it in.
    I go to PAX all three days but year before this one I was doing sightseeing until like 1:30 on Sunday to get some fresh air and away from the crowds a bit, then returned to PAX. This year with the snow I was there on Sunday until after the 6 PM close of the expo hall for the Intel drawing. If weather is nice though I may take time again on Sunday to go outside next year.

The Monument isn't all that bad. If you're in average or better health it shouldnt be too much of a problem. It has a wonderful view over the harbor and the USS Constitution.

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • Options
    yea i plan on stopping there and climbing it.would be a good break for people who don't want to go up as well.this ride will be a lot of stopping and absorbing what boston has to offer like the uss constitution and the monument.come to think of it theres 3 places i would like to stop at.the constitution the uss cassin young and the monument.

• Options
    were would you guys/gals like to stop at?

• Options
    I'd like to see the Cassin Young, I will be travelling with somebody who is in the Navy and two years ago we took him on the Constitution but the Cassin Young was closed. I think it is only open certain days. I'll look for a schedule for it next year. It's a short walk from Bunker Hill.

• Options
    yea all 3 are within a short walk from each other from what i remember on google maps.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Karoneth wrote: »
    I'd like to see the Cassin Young, I will be travelling with somebody who is in the Navy and two years ago we took him on the Constitution but the Cassin Young was closed. I think it is only open certain days. I'll look for a schedule for it next year. It's a short walk from Bunker Hill.

Cassin Young should be open by PAX next year. Last year it was still undergoing restorations (Helping out on that was really fun) and was just moved to its permanent dock at the Navy Yard.

USS Constitution is currently undergoing a dry dock period (click here) until about 2018, but she is still open. Just a reminder that all those 18+ need a valid Government ID or passport

The winter hours are as follows PAX is during summer season, but these hours are to provide an example
    THURSDAY - FRIDAY, 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
    SATURDAY - SUNDAY, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
    MONDAY, CLOSED

If you have any questions or want more info you can send me a PM

pilotman996 on
    q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • Options
    yea all 3 are within a short walk from each other from what i remember on google maps.

Yes, they are all close to each other. Cassin Young and USS Constitution are mere metres from each other and Bunker Hill monument is a short walk away.

Bunker Hill Hours
    March 14, 2016 - November 30, 2016
    Daily 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Last climb, 4:30 p.m.

Cassin Young
    Tuesday-Sunday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Pilot. Yes Cassin Young had work ongoing last time I saw her from the dock. Also on the Constitution, she is an active duty Naval vessel so don't bring any knives etc with you or they will be confiscated, even if they are a US Navy knife. LOL It was a great tour given by the Sailors stationed on her and I recommend anyone with a passing interest in warships or the Age of Sail make this a priority to see. We caught the commuter ferry from the Aquarium on the Thursday before PAX 2014 which brings you right to the Charlestown naval base, and gives you a nice view of Boston harbor as well.

• Options
    I'm totally torn between this and con time. It's sad to say that I have never been to the USS Constitution or Cassin Young, and haven't been to Bunker Hill since elementary school.

Has anyone considered trying to incorporate this bike ride into the MMT?

I think that would be really really awesome.

• Options
    mmt?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    mmt?

Magical Mystery Tour. It's held on the Wed and Thrus prior to PAX. There usually is a thread, it will probably be active soon.

Correct link:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/32006700#Comment_32006700

ClannMorgan on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    ohhh ok.not sure what time ill get into boston on thursday but we can deff do a ride thursday.wont know what time till i figured out how and when im getting into boston.
    also once the mmt thread for 2016 gets up ill ask and see if they can incorporate people who want to bike around.

a fraking toaster on
  • Options
    ohhh ok.not sure what time ill get into boston on thursday but we can deff do a ride thursday.wont know what time till i figured out how and when im getting into boston.
    also once the mmt thread for 2016 gets up ill ask and see if they can incorporate people who want to bike around.

I was just wondering, no need to change anything on my behalf. I probably will just go on Sunday, take a break and check out what's in the ole backyard, as I always say I'm gonna make it to the MMT...but don't. Though it would be great if the ride and tour were all in one, cause Wed I will be baking most of the day for the CB, and Thruday getting stuff ready for the PPD.

• Options
    yea sundays are usually nice because there isnt really much going on and you have already seen most of the convention center (atleast for me).im goin to update the OP today once i figure out how im goin to word everything.im terriable at it lmao

• Options
    Toaster is right...I stayed at PAX until close this year, but the year before I had exhausted the con floor and there were no great panels for me in the AM, so Sunday morning we visited the Aquarium. Was a nice break from PAX and went back to the show in the afternoon. I know it doesn't sound logical, but sometimes you just have to get out of the crowds for a couple hours. for this year, won't have any idea until panel schedule hits. But I always plan to be at PAX the entire time it's open, and go from there.

• Options
    past 2 times iv gone sundays have always been real slow.im not 1 to go to panels or stand in line for 4 hours to see a game trailer.plus id give up some pax time to explor bosotn for the sake of it being my state capitol and fallout 4 lol

• Options
    I'd so be down. I go to school within line of sight of Bunker Hill and I've never been there in my life

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • Options
    bunker hill will deffinitly be on the list of stops.also i finally got new city tires for my frankestein bike.converting a old mtb to a road bike.

• Options
    woohoo ordered new tires and tubes for my old murray.going to resurrect it for pax east.

• Options
    also,does anyone use strava for tracking rides an such?goin to make a route on it with all the stops and such.

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    Hi folks, I see this has been relatively quiet. Is this still a go? Just want to keep everything up to date for events.

Thanks!

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    unfortunately my bike was stolen few months ago and im unable to follow through with this.unless somebody else wants to take the lead them id say its safe to call it dead.