As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

November 13th terror attacks in [Paris]

1282930313234»

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    1. Don't be a dick.

/list

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2015/11/is-it-worse-if-foreigners-kill-us.html
    Muslim refugees become terrorists at a lower rate than Americans become murderers. And here is Alex on jellybeans.
    This article suggests you are more likely to be killed by falling furniture than by a terrorist.
    Somewhere in my Twitter feed I saw a claim that an American is more likely to be shot by a toddler than by a terrorist.
    By a variety of metrics, European terror attacks were worse in the 1970s and 1980s than today.
    Matt Yglesias argues American society is pretty robust to a bunch of people getting shot.
    Nonetheless many American (and European) citizens seem to think that a murder by a foreign terrorist is much worse than a murder by a domestic nutcase, and that murder by a foreign terrorist is a major deal, these days at least. What might be the reasons for that view?

more, and links at the link

relevant, interesting

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The passport the Frenchman used to pass through was a copy of a Syrian soldier. In any asylum procedure he would've fallen through in days.

The reason he didn't is because since April there has been no border control in the EU. The south eastern states are not stopping people on purpose, because if they look away and never make official contact the Dublin treaty allows the refugees to flee on to different, richer and more welcoming countries.

So nobody checks anything on purpose beyond the quickest write down of a passport number, and this guy just travels on.

Most EU proceedings I aware off (I work in the Dutch system but you pick up things about surrounding countries) would not be quite so strict as that tweeted story above.

Note that as of today Turkey is actively prevent refugees from entering boats to reach Greece. The EU will pay up to €3B to make refugee camps near the Turkish / Syrian border and improve conditions in existing camps.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Ketherial wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    Really moving those goalposts friend

not intentionally. care to elaborate?

my stance has been clear from the start - the concern that taking in syrian refugees will lead to security issues resonates with me. it resonates with me both because of paris and because i do not have faith in our vetting process. you state that there have been 0 attacks by refugees since we've accepted 800k of them over the past 15 years, but google tells me that there haven't been any attacks by refugees because we thwarted them, not because our vetting process was great. i'm not sure why i should feel comforted by the statements you've been making.

You stated that you were concerned that Syrian refugees were a potential threat because terrorists could sneak in too. I cited a statistic that no attacks have been conducted by the nearly 800,000 refugees accepted by the US since 9/11.

You then moved the goalposts by broadening your focus to the children of refugees (who were born here), people arrested outside of the country, and pointing out that approximately 0.0015% of post 9/11 refugees were arrested on suspicion of involvement in foiled terrorist plots. You're moving goalposts.

i'm not moving goalposts. your soundbite was setting an arbitrary goalpost, which i questioned.

honestly, you don't have to try to attack my logical theory. just get right to the substance of my position. my goal posts have always been clear - the security of the american people.

all of that being said, looking over the info everyone has provided, i am understanding better why most of you aren't worried about accepting refugees. to be honest, i actually feel relatively convinced.

i will watch the video after i get off work.

Mohammed Atta - the man who performed the on-the-ground organization for the 9/11 attacks, and who himself flew one of the aircraft - was in America on a tourist visa. The same visa anyone can get at any time so long as they have a valid passport.

I'll have to double check, but I'm reasonably sure the same is true of the rest of the hijackers.

The idea of attempting to get into a country to conduct an attack by applying for asylum rather than just using a tourist visa is fucking retarded. They're not looking to move in. They don't need a green card for any reason. If they're Jihadists, they'll be long dead before their visa expires or anyone has an opportunity to suspect a damn thing.

You can't realistically hope to stop terrorist attacks from happening. We can probably mitigate them in the long term by improving conditions in the Persian Gulf, but if someone decided tomorrow that they're going to go die for the cause, you're very unlikely to halt them with any given anti-asylum measure in the first place; you'll be targeting entirely the wrong group of people (not much different, as many have said, from targeting Japanese civilians in WWII who had moved away from Japan specifically because they rejected the imperial court & xenophobic culture).

I suppose you can always dream-up some incredibly draconian security state that will be able to reliably protect itself from sporadic terrorist attacks, but such a state couldn't really resemble anything like a modern democracy.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

my stance has been clear from the start - the concern that taking in syrian refugees will lead to security issues resonates with me. it resonates with me both because of paris and because i do not have faith in our vetting process. you state that there have been 0 attacks by refugees since we've accepted 800k of them over the past 15 years, but google tells me that there haven't been any attacks by refugees because we thwarted them, not because our vetting process was great. i'm not sure why i should feel comforted by the statements you've been making.

You stated that you were concerned that Syrian refugees were a potential threat because terrorists could sneak in too. I cited a statistic that no attacks have been conducted by the nearly 800,000 refugees accepted by the US since 9/11.

You then moved the goalposts by broadening your focus to the children of refugees (who were born here), people arrested outside of the country, and pointing out that approximately 0.0015% of post 9/11 refugees were arrested on suspicion of involvement in foiled terrorist plots. You're moving goalposts.

i'm not moving goalposts. your soundbite was setting an arbitrary goalpost, which i questioned.

honestly, you don't have to try to attack my logical theory. just get right to the substance of my position. my goal posts have always been clear - the security of the american people.

all of that being said, looking over the info everyone has provided, i am understanding better why most of you aren't worried about accepting refugees. to be honest, i actually feel relatively convinced.

Mohammed Atta - the man who performed the on-the-ground organization for the 9/11 attacks, and who himself flew one of the aircraft - was in America on a tourist visa. The same visa anyone can get at any time so long as they have a valid passport.

I'll have to double check, but I'm reasonably sure the same is true of the rest of the hijackers.

The idea of attempting to get into a country to conduct an attack by applying for asylum rather than just using a tourist visa is fucking retarded. They're not looking to move in. They don't need a green card for any reason. If they're Jihadists, they'll be long dead before their visa expires or anyone has an opportunity to suspect a damn thing.

You can't realistically hope to stop terrorist attacks from happening. We can probably mitigate them in the long term by improving conditions in the Persian Gulf, but if someone decided tomorrow that they're going to go die for the cause, you're very unlikely to halt them with any given anti-asylum measure in the first place; you'll be targeting entirely the wrong group of people (not much different, as many have said, from targeting Japanese civilians in WWII who had moved away from Japan specifically because they rejected the imperial court & xenophobic culture).

I suppose you can always dream-up some incredibly draconian security state that will be able to reliably protect itself from sporadic terrorist attacks, but such a state couldn't really resemble anything like a modern democracy.

There's one sure way to stop all terrorist attacks forever. Anyone who thinks it's a good idea needs to be committed. Now.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »

There's one sure way to stop all terrorist attacks forever. Anyone who thinks it's a good idea needs to be committed. Now.

Nah, glassing the whole planet is just going to delay terrorism, not stop it, eventually another sentient species will evolve, and commit terrorism.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nah, glassing the whole planet is just going to delay terrorism, not stop it, eventually another sentient species will evolve, and commit terrorism.

Ah, yes. 'Reapers'.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Entertaining the premise that we should not let anyone in the country that would increase risk of bad things happening by any amount at all is an incredible waste of time. It is not a tenable position as there are way too many wacky, undesirable, outcomes of following it. Such outcomes have so far been handwaved away by saying that some risk is acceptable but making a change for any additional risk is unacceptable. But what is the logical reason for stopping there? Why is the current level of risk at all acceptable? Surely if we are at the point where accepting even one Syrian refugee is too many then we are living in a wildly dangerous situation? If not, why is any additional risk somehow too much? The level of additional risk to any one person is negligible given the statistics elsewhere sited. 800,000 refugees and no terrorist incidents and only 12 deportations due to suspicions. Surely variance in your own personal behavior will introduce yourself and your family to far more risk on a daily basis than accepting some pathetic number of refugees. But even then! That isn't an argument against taking in refugees, because no matter what they are an additional .00000 whatever percent of risk. And it's as we go further and further down this route that it becomes obvious that the only time this strict aversion to risk is found is when it comes to accepting refugees.

But all this effort is to contradict a person whose opening statement was, to put it succinctly, "morals schmorals"

So, with that in mind, I don't personally see a need to engage further in the line of discussion.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hot off the heels of the Paris attack, American police are now demanding to be allowed to bring their guns to NFL games while off-duty.
    http://deadspin.com/off-duty-cops-really-want-to-bring-guns-into-nfl-stadiu-1745403791

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Hot off the heels of the Paris attack, American police are now demanding to be allowed to bring their guns to NFL games while off-duty.
    http://deadspin.com/off-duty-cops-really-want-to-bring-guns-into-nfl-stadiu-1745403791

Wow. There's no way this could go horribly wrong.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    1. Don't be a dick.

/list

In the long run this is literally a war that can be won with kindness, if we'd only try it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    And in Detroit, a man bought a new backpack at a Meijer, then left the old one with the cashier to throw away and a customer called the police and said ISIS was planning on blowing up the store.
    http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/54912988-story

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

There's no way that wouldn't result in dead Eagles fans.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    And in Detroit, a man bought a new backpack at a Meijer, then left the old one with the cashier to throw away and a customer called the police and said ISIS was planning on blowing up the store.

Oh for fucks sake, I live here

These are the honking geese I have to live with.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Who the fuck wrote this copy? Did they graduate from high school?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

woooow

maybe the article should have read "original story completely fabricated .... sorry. Here is the real one"

• Options

What's a comma?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

What's a comma?

It's what happens when you get hit in the head too hard, I think.

• Options

It gets "better":
    Friends,
    I have posted regarding this issue once before and believe it worth another read. As you travel during the holidays or any other time, please try to shop and purchase gas and other items at American owned stores. The C stores/tobacco outlets, etc. with the lights around the windows and doors are not owned by God fearing Christians. In large part, these stores are owned by folk that send their profits back to their homeland and then in turn use these funds against our country to create turmoil, fear and in some cases death and destruction. I realize I am “painting with a broad brush” here, but the madness has to stop. Please join me in making the extra effort to never support these stores/shops! I am trying to do my part and I know you will to.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May God Bless.
    Alan Harper
    State Representative District 61

...stop electing stupid, Alabama.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    that man has the crazy eyes

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    More evil than stupid.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Alabama still has Sears Portrait Studios, I see.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

They work for Fox 2, so probably not.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

to be honest, many cleveland browns fans would welcome this news, as the quick embrace of death provided by a firearm is so much superior than being cast out to the outer darkness by the eternal suckitude of their team

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Yea, when things like Monday night happen, guns are the LAST thing I want in those stadiums.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Yes
    from Detroit
    sorry
    not sorry

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Yea, when things like Monday night happen, guns are the LAST thing I want in those stadiums.

Yeah....

Although, I do need that last bit of audio as a new text alert. It's just absolutely perfect.

• Options
    Greg Abbott determined to retain position in Horrible Elected US Official list, sues federal government to stop refugee resettlement in Dallas.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Greg Abbott determined to retain position in Horrible Elected US Official list, sues federal government to stop refugee resettlement in Dallas.

The article linked to that one is way more gross, to me. He's telling private companies not to do what they do? Fuck him with a cactus.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I read the comments so that you don't have to.

And then post them, so that you...have to...read them?

I haven't thought this through. Anyway:
    Texans are apparently scared of their shadows as well, likely because they are not white.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

I read the comments so that you don't have to.

And then post them, so that you...have to...read them?

I haven't thought this through. Anyway:
    Texans are apparently scared of their shadows as well, likely because they are not white.

Gawker's comment quality saw a marked improvement ever since they took a much more aggressive moderation stance.