As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    So, does Syfy actually want me to watch their shows or something? Can I just watch this online without having a cable subscription, or are they only letting me watch the first episode?

Only the first episode is available -anywhere-, including on TV.

Also, that first episode is available on Hulu, so it's pretty safe to guess the rest of the show will be.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    cncaudata wrote: »
    So, does Syfy actually want me to watch their shows or something? Can I just watch this online without having a cable subscription, or are they only letting me watch the first episode?

Only the first episode is available -anywhere-, including on TV.

Also, that first episode is available on Hulu, so it's pretty safe to guess the rest of the show will be.

Yeah so

I tried to pull it up on Hulu since I have a subscription with them. I got a splash screen telling me to contact my cable provider to watch the show. However I am able to catch the first episode on the SyFy site.

Regardless, I hate Hulu.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So yeah, weirdness.. I pulled it up on the site and could watch it ok. But I could not find it on the hulu app on the ps4 or my tv. So yeah, syfy being syfy I guess.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    But now having watched that on SyFy that was an amazing first episode.

• majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Has anyone around here watched the pilot - whom didn't previously read the books?

I'm curious to know if someone who was new to the story liked it or not. I watched the pilot a second time and I think they skipped over quite a lot of the exposition.
    For example, the acceleration chairs. No real explanation as to why they were getting the milky goo pumped into their necks.

majanz on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I've never read the books and am looking forward to the rest of the series. Regarding your spoiler, I've seen enough Sci-Fi to (I think) understand the point of it.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Good first episode. There hasn't been a decent sci-fi show in a while, so color me excited. Couldn't understand the Belters but that's intentional on their part.

Don't worry, it will be cancelled in a month or two, and Sy-Fy can get back to turning out horrible rubbish.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Good first episode. There hasn't been a decent sci-fi show in a while, so color me excited. Couldn't understand the Belters but that's intentional on their part.

Don't worry, it will be cancelled in a month or two, and Sy-Fy can get back to turning out horrible rubbish.

It's not network TV, there is nothing to suggest SyFy will cancel this unless it gets low ratings (and maybe not even then), especially since they are pushing the show pretty hard (for them).

Tomanta on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    majanz wrote: »
    Has anyone around here watched the pilot - whom didn't previously read the books?

I'm curious to know if someone who was new to the story liked it or not. I watched the pilot a second time and I think they skipped over quite a lot of the exposition.
    For example, the acceleration chairs. No real explanation as to why they were getting the milky goo pumped into their necks.

i didnt think it really needed any exposition

the tech was all v self-explanatory, and they had stuff like "THIS IS GOING TO BE A 30g ACCELERATION SO PREPARE UR SHIT" etc

seemed also surprisingly high budget for a syfy joint

obF2Wuw.png

My wife hasn't read the books and she liked it quite a bit. She figured what the couches and injections were for based on the context.

The only stuff I explained before the show were the general technological abilities humanity had for space colonization and the political consequences of it which has put the books on her next to read list.

...and they had stuff like "THIS IS GOING TO BE A 30g ACCELERATION SO PREPARE UR SHIT" etc

Okay, while watching the show I pretended that I heard that wrong. That he had said "3g" - but you heard "30g" too? Dang... 'Cause now I'm going to have to go on a nerd rant...

nerd-rage.jpg

Okay, the books were accurate on how many g's a human can take for an extended period. Even in the Rocinante they never did much over 10g.

I think the human limit was set by one of my person heroes John Stapp! He survived over 45g in a test, but that was only for a very short period. If a person tried to take 30g for a minute or more, milky goo or no milky goo, at a minimum their lungs would collapse.

Plus the Canterbury is a piece of crap ice hauler. Be lucky to get even 3g before it tore itself apart.

Anyway...

</Nerd Rant>

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    ...and they had stuff like "THIS IS GOING TO BE A 30g ACCELERATION SO PREPARE UR SHIT" etc

Okay, while watching the show I pretended that I heard that wrong. That he had said "3g" - but you heard "30g" too? Dang... 'Cause now I'm going to have to go on a nerd rant...

nerd-rage.jpg

Okay, the books were accurate on how many g's a human can take for an extended period. Even in the Rocinante they never did much over 10g.

I think the human limit was set by one of my person heroes John Stapp! He survived over 45g in a test, but that was only for a very short period. If a person tried to take 30g for a minute or more, milky goo or no milky goo, at a minimum their lungs would collapse.

Plus the Canterbury is a piece of crap ice hauler. Be lucky to get even 3g before it tore itself apart.

Anyway...

</Nerd Rant>

I'm pretty certain the show said 3gs.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    which, if you've been floating around out there at close to zero for a while, is gonna hurt anyway. (Not the equipment, just you.)

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Even if it was 30g that's what the magic goo is for.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Pilot was awesome :biggrin:

Folks looked different than I imagined - I pictured Holden older, Nagata as Asian instead of Afro-Caribbean, Amos a little harder, Miller a little more gaunt (even considering the liberties needed with Belters)

Alex IIRC is described as having a gut on him, but otherwise he was closest to what I thought of him as

Avrasala and the gravity torture were perfect

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Amos looks a bit too baby-faced, but we'll see what he gets up to when the action starts.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Amos looks a bit too baby-faced, but we'll see what he gets up to when the action starts.

For me it was his hair and eyes. Should be shaved down to stubble.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Oh, the belter patois was spot on and the camera work reminds me of BSG in a good way, but it's not quite up to par yet. It doesnt look like a syfy show, though (thankfully)

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

actually i always pictured his head being completely clean shaven, no stubble at all. but i think it's cropped in enough to work consider some of the other liberties they've taken. as mentioned Alex is supposed to have a bit of a gut and supposed to be balding too.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

actually i always pictured his head being completely clean shaven, no stubble at all. but i think it's cropped in enough to work consider some of the other liberties they've taken. as mentioned Alex is supposed to have a bit of a gut and supposed to be balding too.

Alex is way younger than in the books. He's supposed to have already done his full career tour of duty with the MCRN, retired and been on the Cant for a couple years. He's gotta be mid forties at the start of the books.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Amos looks like early 30s at the most, he's supposed to have like 20 years of space trucking (and... other... stuff) under his belt in the books. But those are pretty minor changes I don't really care about.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I feel most the same way but the actor is 37 so it's just down to babyface.

• WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of the Amos actor being real innocent looking, it'll make it that much better when he goes ape.

iguanacus wrote: »
    I feel most the same way but the actor is 37 so it's just down to babyface.

37? <Checks IMDB> Well son of a bi.....

Yep, that's one heck of a baby face.

Alex is way younger than in the books. He's supposed to have already done his full career tour of duty with the MCRN, retired and been on the Cant for a couple years. He's gotta be mid forties at the start of the books.

Cas Anvar's age is remarkably Google-resistant, but I did find an article from 2003 where he writes that he was in the mid-thirties at that time.

Which would make him... mid-forties now. :rotate: Them's some good genes.

Cas Anvar's age is remarkably Google-resistant, but I did find an article from 2003 where he writes that he was in the mid-thirties at that time.

Which would make him... mid-forties now. :rotate: Them's some good genes.

Yea, IMDB lists his first actor role back in 92 as "Arcade Owner" which is probably a twenties aged role at least. So yeah, mid forties.

I'm kinda amazed that they got actors who are generally the right age but don't exactly look it which is actually the impression I had while reading the books the first time.

These are cute (via Reddit's Expanse page)

bPJaS3d.png
    HBHPJ2c.png
    emvSmMK.png
    ebgpXJ8.png

Just wish I could find bigger copies...

So came across some numbers on Holden's prior experience last night. As of book 2 Holden had a decade and half of nearly constant space travel. Since we know he was born on a ranch on Earth I think it's a reasonable assumption that started when he joined the Navy. Putting that at around 18 and that means he's at least early thirties, putting a bit of fudge room in there for training or a year of scut work* before they train him and mid thirties is pretty reasonable.

*It's unclear if the Navy follows the thing that the rest of Earth does about having to work a year before they spend effort training you.

• Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

bPJaS3d.png
    HBHPJ2c.png
    emvSmMK.png
    ebgpXJ8.png

Just from what I can tell and have seen elsewhere
    Donnager, Scipio Africanus (which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the books), Anubis, Tachi/Rocinante

More pictures of Martian Navy stuff here: http://mcrnavy.com/

Emissary42 on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

bPJaS3d.png
    HBHPJ2c.png
    emvSmMK.png
    ebgpXJ8.png

Just from what I can tell and have seen elsewhere
    Donnager, Scipio Africanus (which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the books), Anubis, Tachi/Rocinante

More pictures of Martian Navy stuff here: http://mcrnavy.com/

Thanks for the link to that site

This is an odd thing to geek out over, but they did a really good job with the Mars Congressional Republic Navy logo. Its pretty sweet!

220?cb=20151017173639

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Reading the first book again. The tv series is very, very close to the book so far.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Reading the first book again. The tv series is very, very close to the book so far.
    The biggest difference I noticed was that they were playing up the Earth/Mars tensions at the start. In the books, I remember it being a close alliance, a NATO-type situation, when the story begins.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    The biggest difference I noticed was that they were playing up the Earth/Mars tensions at the start. In the books, I remember it being a close alliance, a NATO-type situation, when the story begins.

Not entirely.
    There were a lot of tensions even as the books started. Mars military and Earth military had a lot of smack talk... Earth had more ships, Mars had newer ships, and there were elements on both sides that wanted to see which would win in a scrum.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Just as a side note, as I'm assuming we'll start getting more and more folks in this thread who haven't read the books, if you're referring to stuff from the books plz spoiler it.

GoT rules, y'know?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    I'm curious how Mars could become a serious military power in only a couple centuries, hopefully they'll get into that at least a little.

edited December 2015
    Seal wrote: »
    I'm curious how Mars could become a serious military power in only a couple centuries, hopefully they'll get into that at least a little.

Here's how:
    Solomon Epstein, the inventor of the Epstein Drive, was a Martian; here's the short story. The fallout from that goes like this:
    As a result, Mars' ships could cover distances much faster and more efficiently than Earth's could, and also had superior tactical maneuvering capabilities. In exchange for sharing the Epstein Drive with Earth, Mars gained its independence and what is alluded to half the rights to the solar system. The second bit is left kind of unclear but this wasn't just in terms of material resources, but also in terms of a political and military balance in the military coalition of the UNN & MCRN at the beginning of Leviathan Wakes/the start of the Syfy show.

edit:
    And why trade the technology? Because even if their military could pull off a crippling first strike, they couldn't keep Earth from fucking them over too. Sharing the Epstein Drive got everyone what they wanted with no mess.

Emissary42 on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

That....is a lot of time to build up. The USA is only a couple hundred years old.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    The USA didn't pop into existence in 1776 and wasn't at the bottom of a gravity well, over the horizon of a much larger gravity well. The barrier to colonisation is vastly steeper when you're comparing crossing an ocean vs. producing enough delta V to make it to Mars in a timely fashion. Was there a major breakthrough in space travel that made it a few orders of magnitude cheaper to get things into orbit prior to Mars colonisation?

edited December 2015

I hadn't read the books before watching the pilot. After doing so, I rapidly devoured the first two books. My take on the show from that experience:
    The description of the captain of the Canterbury from the books was quite different from what we see in the pilot, which is surprising considering the distinctly 'stretched' Belters we see on Ceres. The early materials got the idea of the acceleration chairs & drugs across reasonably well, but oddly enough they didn't explain the interior layouts of ships quite well enough for the orientations of acceleration couches to make sense. I'm hoping they fix that with the sequences in the Donnager. I like the first tease of the Protomolecule so far, but I'm going to be really interested to see how they handle the fully metamorphosed Eros interior. The descriptions in the books peg it as sort of an 'Glowy Avatar Creatures meets Dead Space's Meat Moss', maybe with some H. R. Giger tossed in for good measure.

Emissary42 on
This discussion has been closed.