As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

is the mcrib back

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Oh god, all of my in-laws believe in all sorts of ridiculous things. Couple that with my usual lack of tact and tendency to say what I'm thinking and we've had some fun visits.

One sister keeps going on and on about the "homeopathic flu shots" she's been giving her kids. She quit talking to me for a few weeks after I pointed out her kids have been sick every time we see them.

Then there was the magnetic bracelet which she made all her kids wear. I asked her if it was to protect them from the RF waves that the kids are exposed to when plopped in front of the TV for hours at a time. Ooops.

Now they're trying to convince their mother to give their sick grandmother colloidol silver and some weird hydrogen peroxide treatment.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Send her pictures of all those blue people who thought colloidal silver would help them.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    just send her pictures of dead children so she can get prepare

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. I miss it. But in an effort to eat healthier, I'm also watching out for the cholesterol and whatnot. And I don't know what having a yolk would do to the cooking time.

Eating egg yolks has nothing to do with your cholesterol. Eating cholesterol, period, has no correlation with the amount of cholesterol in your body.

Jury is still out on that one, chief
    The USDA, for example, recommends that those wishing to reduce their cholesterol through a change in diet should aim to consume less than 7% of their daily energy needs from saturated fat and fewer than 200 mg of cholesterol per day.[32] An alternative view is that any reduction to dietary cholesterol intake could be counteracted by the organs compensating to try to keep blood cholesterol levels constant.[33] Other research has found that an increase in the consumption of saturated fats and cholesterol decreases overall serum cholesterol.

Don't quote the USDA if you're trying to argue about health science. For one, it's essentially the governmental arm of the farm lobby (hence the name), and is motivated by promoting the U.S. agriculture industry, not educating the public about good health practices. For two, they've been wrong about many, many things, from the food pyramid to letting farmers dump huge amounts of antibiotics in livestock even though basic science tells you that doing so would have long-term detrimental effects to the livestock population, let alone the unknown downstream effect on the humans who consume them.

The most quoted research regarding the link between cholesterol and cardiovascular disease is a 1989 paper in the Lancet. This paper did not control for the fact that foods high in cholesterol also tend to be foods high in saturated fat, or similar complex dietary patterns. Subsequent research has definitively shown not only that there is a much stronger link between saturated fat and human cholesterol levels, but that the link between ingested cholesterol and blood cholesterol is incredibly small, particularly when controlled for the aforementioned saturated fat issue.

If you want to argue against egg yolks specifically, then there are indications in observational studies that diabetics and folks with similar issues shouldn't be eating a lot of them. But diabetics, as we all know, shouldn't be eating a lot of things because their entire digestive system is out of whack.

The only reason organization such as the USDA and the AHA continue to recommend a limit on cholesterol consumption is because they are slow to change and don't want to admit they were wrong, justified with vague language about how "foods high in cholesterol also tend to be high in saturated fat" (i.e., we were wrong but there's still a link here so if you limit one then maybe that will help you limit the other stuff). That's why the limit is specifically on cholesterol and not egg yolks, because eggs aren't full of saturated fat, and it allows them to maintain the vague link between foods that are high in cholesterol also tending to be high in saturated fat.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh god, all of my in-laws believe in all sorts of ridiculous things. Couple that with my usual lack of tact and tendency to say what I'm thinking and we've had some fun visits.

One sister keeps going on and on about the "homeopathic flu shots" she's been giving her kids. She quit talking to me for a few weeks after I pointed out her kids have been sick every time we see them.

Then there was the magnetic bracelet which she made all her kids wear. I asked her if it was to protect them from the RF waves that the kids are exposed to when plopped in front of the TV for hours at a time. Ooops.

Now they're trying to convince their mother to give their sick grandmother colloidol silver and some weird hydrogen peroxide treatment.
    You might want to call the police.
    You cant inject children with random nonsense .

Also make sure that grandmothers Doctors know they are literally planning to murder her

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    @#pipe coconut oil is high in saturated fat, but it's monosaturated fat buffered by lauric acid and rich in MCT chains, which are, short version, less cumbersome to ingest and less likely to plaque your arteries. Contemporary research is increasingly forgiving to less processed fats, particularly plant fats...

that said, we're talking coconut oil VS trans fats and other cooking oil options. Being a less bad option on the spectrum of greases certainly doesn't make it a piece of fruit.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    yeah, dog but nobody uses trans fats to grease their frypan or pop their popcorn, though

If you fly around the internet telling people Coconut Oil is the healthful mana from heaven they get this sense that it's a free pass and it should be in everything and they use two scoops of coconut oil instead of half a scoop of butter

Nutrition is an extremely slow moving science, and a tiny result in a decent study brings shysters out of the woodwork in droves, getting their shit on Doctor Oz and becoming millionaires thanks to gullible moms just wanting to help their kids be healthy.

Superfoods, and the wider nutrition discussion drives me fucking insane. It is so incredibly sensationalized and full of bullshit.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    yeah, dog but nobody uses trans fats to grease their frypan or pop their popcorn, though

If you fly around the internet telling people Coconut Oil is the healthful mana from heaven they get this sense that it's a free pass and it should be in everything and they use two scoops of coconut oil instead of half a scoop of butter

Nutrition is an extremely slow moving science, and a tiny result in a decent study brings shysters out of the woodwork in droves, getting their shit on Doctor Oz and becoming millionaires thanks to gullible moms just wanting to help their kids be healthy.

Superfoods, and the wider nutrition discussion drives me fucking insane. It is so incredibly sensationalized and full of bullshit.

You're getting into weightlifting, right? You should go full raw paleo!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2014
    Dr. Oz is an incredibly skilled surgeon and it pisses me off that he puts his name on bullshit to make money.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    SnerkySnerky call me trick the c is silentRegistered User regular
    does the m-crib exist in england
    should I go and look at one, to tell my children

EYDHoqw.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    You should at least take a bite

A teeny tiny bite

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Snerky wrote: »
    does the m-crib exist in england
    should I go and look at one, to tell my children

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/promotions/McRib.html

Coming end of December, apparently.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I had Korean tonight for the first time. Man it was sooo good. And the staff were really really nice. And I had Korean lager which was also nice.

A++ if I wasn't leaving the country I would definitely eat there again.

• Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    I know its wrong but I am looking foward to seeing it in the UK again.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm tired and grumpy this morning so my breakfast was a bowl of Lucky Charms

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I had Korean tonight for the first time. Man it was sooo good. And the staff were really really nice. And I had Korean lager which was also nice.

A++ if I wasn't leaving the country I would definitely eat there again.

Tomorrow's headline.

Dinosaur attacks Heathrow. Consumes three tourists.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    My manager is tending bar to pick up some extra cash
    This is her first night and I have come to the bar to be supportive/an annoyance/get sloshed

• Options
    I blame math
    I tried reading about ergodicity and markov chains and my brain broke

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love conveyor belt sushi

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    @‌Tam

Tamtamtamtamtamtamtam ....

I'm currently on my first glass of Glenfiddich 12 year from a bottle my lady friend bought me.

I think that means we're officially dating.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Man, if I were dating everyone I'd bought scotch for ...

• Options
    edited December 2014
    @‌Tam

Tamtamtamtamtamtamtam ....

I'm currently on my first glass of Glenfiddich 12 year from a bottle my lady friend bought me.

I think that means we're officially dating.

I came home

and poured myself another glass of the exact same thing

and then read this post

I don't think I'll have another tonight though
    I might turn into sad Tam
    got shit I gotta do tomorrow
    obligations

Tam on
  • Options
    Noooooooooooooo .....

• Options
    bro you don't want none a' sad Tam

I really need to make some non-work friends locally
    what do

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I'd be super super gay.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

I'd be super super gay.

be?

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    bro you don't want none a' sad Tam

I really need to make some non-work friends locally
    what do

If you have the time and the means, one of my old co-workers from a four-star restaurant got serious mileage out of taking a cooking class for fun; you meet people interested in food, wine and hosting parties in their homes. If memory serves, he landed an even better job because of it and made some friends he still hangs with to this day.

• Options
    that's something to consider, thanks
    it could maybe be my Christmas present to myself

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    that's something to consider, thanks
    it could maybe be my Christmas present to myself

Anytime, buddy!

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

I'd be super super gay.

be?

Just regular Gay here.

This would level me up a bit.

• Options
    super sayjin gayku

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    super sayjin gayku

Wait until you see his ultimate form.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The McRib is back, according to the McRib Locator, here in Abilene, TX

Should I go get one on my lunch break y/n

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Y

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Y

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    do you guys have this fuckin' Taste Crafted bullshit in your McDonalds

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

Y

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    why

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »

Y

...how is it?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    why

Y