As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer not Performing

BreadfanDanBreadfanDan Registered User regular
Processor - I7-4770k
Memory - 8gb ddr3
Power Supply - Corsair CX750M
Motherboard - ASRock Z87 Pro4
Graphics - MSi GTX960 Gaming 2G

Not sure how to troubleshoot my current issue. My computer should be able to run most games at max settings, but it still lags horribly on lowest settings. I'm almost positive I have all my drivers but I could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BreadfanDan on

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Have you checked your CPU and GPU temperatures?

• BreadfanDanBreadfanDan Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Hadn't thought of that. Downloaded real temp and it's saying about 98-100° Celsius. That seems far too high.

MSi afterburner says about 75° Fahrenheit for the GPU.

BreadfanDan on
    Hadn't thought of that. Downloaded real temp and it's saying about 98-100° Celsius. That seems far too high.

Right now or under load while you're playing games?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

75F is fine for a GPU (average idling temp for mine is 30C-35C...during games that'll bump up to 60C-65C). That CPU temp, though, is WAY too high. On my OC'd 4770k, I tend to idle at 30C-35C.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    That was idle temperature. Recommendations for after market fans? Also, could that really be all that's wrong?

That was idle temperature. Recommendations for after market fans? Also, could that really be all that's wrong?

Most all modern CPUs will throttle themselves down when they're overheating to bring their temperatures down to less-dangerous levels. The stock heatsink that came with your processor should keep it well inside normal operating temps, though, so if you don't want to shell out the money for an aftermarket cooling solution, you could just pick up a tube of thermal grease/paste ($2-$5), pull off your current heatsink, scrape off the thermal paste, apply new paste, and reseat the heatsink.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    That was idle temperature.

That is "Holy shit" territory for an idling CPU.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea that's "do not turn your computer on again until this is fixed" hot.

I'm 99% sure this is a thermal paste issue. Either too much, or not enough. have you removed the cooler recently?

Basically, yea. buy some thermal paste, look up any of the 10 zillion guides on youtube on how to apply it, do that, and look and see what temperatures you get.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    100C idle temp means your cooler is basically not attached to the CPU.

If you want to replace the stock HS/F, something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is the minimum I'd go for.

I'd try to reseat the stock HS/F first, though.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That or like, the cooler is attached but the fan isn't plugged in. So the heatsink is just barely passively dissipating enough heat to prevent shutdown/burnout.

steam_sig.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    That or like, the cooler is attached but the fan isn't plugged in. So the heatsink is just barely passively dissipating enough heat to prevent shutdown/burnout.

even then if the fan isn't spinning if the thermal paste is right it wouldn't be idling at 100C. 99.9% sure it's a thermal paste issue.

My dad once was so very proud of himself, because he wanted to blow the dust out of his machine, he took the HSF off, blew out the dust, then just....put it back on. He couldn't figure out why his PC would shut off after 20 minutes. Points for effort in keeping his PC internals clear, but thank the gods for CPU thermal throttling.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Woah ya, if your hitting near 100C that would trigger the automatic protections on your cpu and will downclock itself severely in order to prevent damage.

you need to remove that heatsink, clean off the thermal paste, put new thermal paste on and the re-attach it.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    OP, basically, what's happening your CPU is this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

steam_sig.png
    I know the chips in that video are a number of years old and this also isn't a situation that is supposed to occur, but AMD does not come off looking good there.

Gaslight wrote: »
    I know the chips in that video are a number of years old and this also isn't a situation that is supposed to occur, but AMD does not come off looking good there.

With the IR thermometer readout during the AMD sections, I was just thinking to myself "There's gotta be a decimal point in there somewhere...right? I mean...there's just gotta!"

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Ya that was around 2000 or so, pentium 4s at the time were the first chips to introduce automatic downclocking to prevent chip dmg, amd took a few more years to introduce it.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    I'm assuming I didn't do it right last time. There's some on the chip but almost none on the fan. I should have some around here somewhere. Will post results when I find it/buy more.

So I took the heat sink off to check the amount of thermal paste and just put it back on. It seems to work fine now. One of the games that was tripping me up hard (Heroes of the Storm) on lowest settings now works completely fine on Ultra.

So I took the heat sink off to check the amount of thermal paste and just put it back on. It seems to work fine now. One of the games that was tripping me up hard (Heroes of the Storm) on lowest settings now works completely fine on Ultra.

Awesoming because this is awesome news!

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about it. I really appreciate all the input and help you guys gave me. Never would have figured that one out. Saved me a lot of frustration. Thanks again good people!

(Do I edit solved into the title or something?)