As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Maria laughs at stairways.

I'm at the Stage 7 boss.
    I only found one other girl along the way, and... well, she wasn't human. :|

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    I am quite certain that Stage 5, "Shudder", is made of hatred. I assume you can get there as Richter but I struggled as Maria, even with her amazing double-jump. My mediocre skills certainly didn't make it any easier.

Stage 5, or stage 5'?

Stage 5' is so difficult, but it's one of my favorite levels.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am quite certain that Stage 5, "Shudder", is made of hatred. I assume you can get there as Richter but I struggled as Maria, even with her amazing double-jump. My mediocre skills certainly didn't make it any easier.

Stage 5, or stage 5'?

I think it was 5'. I was wondering what the ' was for. I guess it's for alternate paths? Anyway, it was the one that threw about 30 axe armors, lance guys, medusa heads, pits, spikes, and every other danger imaginable at you all at once.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Stage 5, or stage 5'?

I think it was 5'. I was wondering what the ' was for. I guess it's for alternate paths? Anyway, it was the one that threw about 30 axe armors, lance guys, medusa heads, pits, spikes, and every other danger imaginable at you all at once.

the ' is for alternate paths, yeah. Level 5' can only be accessed once you beat the game. You can't get to level 5' until you've got a saved game with everything beaten. Level 4' skips to level 6, iirc, if you haven't beaten the game.

At least I think it's level 5'. Its the one with the ghost ship.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Stage 5, or stage 5'?

the ' is for alternate paths, yeah. Level 5' can only be accessed once you beat the game. You can't get to level 5' until you've got a saved game with everything beaten. Level 4' skips to level 6, iirc, if you haven't beaten the game.

I may have the ' wrong then because I took the Ghost Ship path my first time through. The one I was playing started out having you jump over about a mile of water on floating platforms while bats attacked you. It's also incredibly long and goes through about 10 different rooms and it's absolutely littered with axe armors above and below you or axe armors above and lance guys below. Then they just throw in some medusa heads for good measure.

Gilder on
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I believe Stage 5' in the remake is different than the original stage 5'.

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Stage 5, or stage 5'?

I may have the ' wrong then because I took the Ghost Ship path my first time through. The one I was playing started out having you jump over about a mile of water on floating platforms while bats attacked you. It's also incredibly long and goes through about 10 different rooms and it's absolutely littered with axe armors above and below you or axe armors above and lance guys below. Then they just throw in some medusa heads for good measure.

The level title actually reads "level 5' " with the dash. Well, it did in the original... I haven't played the PSP remakes.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Considering the only memorable and quote worthy part of SOTN was the opening Dracula/Richter exchange, the rest of the new translation is pretty top notch. A few changes here and there, but everything is roughly the same as before. But it's kind of the opposite of the new FFT translation. They took out all the slightly antiquated speak, and everybody just talks plainly. The only major change I didn't care for is Dracula no longer recites a bible passage at the very end (something that I though was pretty fitting). Drac and Richter are the same voices from Rondo, and I think Maria is the same as well, just no longer doing the sugary sweet voice. And Alucard sounds pretty much the same. Different voice, but it's still light and fair sounding, except he actually emotes here and there (he sounds genuinely freaked out during the "You're a Belmont!" scene).

Other than the obvious, there's also a couple of new surprises for the people who've played the game to death. Nothing major, just pleasant surprises.
    I honestly don't remember if he always did, but the boat keeper now has dialog the first time you ride him, with portrait.

Richter and Maria stay in the throne room for the rest of the game, and you can talk to them.

Finally, the biggest surprise. You have to fight Maria before she hands over the holy glasses. This caught me off guard. Not a hard fight, but she uses the exact same animal helpers she had as a child. Pretty much a sneak peak at how she'll play when you unlock her.

And speaking of playing at her, she got hit with a nerf hammer compared to her younger self. You can shoot out 4 birds now in a constant stream, but there's a delay when an enemy gets hit before they can be hit again with them. So you're shooting out 4 birds rapid fire, but only every other bird actually does damage. She also dies in 3 hits at the beginning. On the plus side though, she runs pretty darn fast, and has both a forward and backward dash, so she's not lacking on the mobility department. It's just a shame she no longer does insane damage anymore.
    The boat keeper had dialog and a portrait in the original as well. I believe he speaks to you two times in total.

Richter and Maria also hung out in the throne room for the duration of the game.

The Maria fight was in the Saturn version. Glad they kept it here.

However, I was really hoping they would add the unused alternate ending, in which Maria becomes possessed (by Shaft?) and you're forced to fight her. The game ends with both Richter and Maria dying, and Alucard mourning both their deaths.

They should have added that, especially since the new dialog in Rondo sort of foreshadows Shaft's plans to use Maria's power.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Finished Rondo-remake, bad ending. Lots more work to do, but I moved on to SotN.

I like the new voices, notably Alucard's. Seems like it'll be fun.

Priceless how playing SotN now feels like a downgrade from the Rondo-remake. Maybe it's the reduced resolution.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Finished Rondo-remake, bad ending. Lots more work to do, but I moved on to SotN.

I like the new voices, notably Alucard's. Seems like it'll be fun.

Priceless how playing SotN now feels like a downgrade from the Rondo-remake. Maybe it's the reduced resolution.

I think it would have been neater if they either upgraded SOTN's graphics up, or just remade Rondo's in SOTN. Either way, make the graphical style of both games identical. And then, after you beat Dracula with Richter, just chain right into Alucard. That was the big thing, that the opening stage in SOTN WAS the end stage in Rondo. So link them together, you know, kind of like how Sonic 3 chains right into Sonic and Knuckles when they're both linked up. Then you have one massively epic game and story, which is kind of the impression they give, calling the game the "Dracula X Chronicles".

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, this game is hard. Stage 2 and I'm already getting my ass handed to me.

Oh, just thought I'd mention that Jeanne D'arc has the exact "You don't belong in this world" quote in it. It made me laugh.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeteLPeteL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm currently trying to beat the regular 3rd level boss, the minotaur (I've already beaten the alternate level 3) and I'm having a hard time beating him. I almost got his pattern down, but then ran out of lives.

Also, as for the voiceovers in Rondo remake, I've switched it to Japanese language. This way, I can still read what's going on with the subtitles, but what I hear pleases my ear more. Anyone else do this?

PeteL on
    -Pete
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PeteL wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to beat the regular 3rd level boss, the minotaur (I've already beaten the alternate level 3) and I'm having a hard time beating him. I almost got his pattern down, but then ran out of lives.
    I remember having a pretty easy time with him using Richter. He kicked my ass as Maria though.

Oh man, I just discovered a way to completely break Galamoth in SotN without resorting to items like I usually do. Stupid fuck didn't get off one attack. I laughed my ass off after I killed him.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh God, stage 5.
    Death is so fucking annoying

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Finally unlocked the original Rondo.

Man, that was a pain in the ass.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh God, stage 5.

Seriously? It only took me two attempts, and I schooled him the second time. Not even close to his hardest incarnation (nothing beats NES Castlevania).

I like how it was explained that
    Shaft's little ritual with Maria is what unlocked her hidden power. Only problem is Richter interfered before he could enslave her mind.

So how do you unlock the original Rondo, anyway?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm just having loads of trouble with him. His damage is nuts. I'm using Maria though, he might actually be easier with Richter.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh God, stage 5.

Seriously? It only took me two attempts, and I schooled him the second time. Not even close to his hardest incarnation (nothing beats NES Castlevania).

I like how it was explained that
    Shaft's little ritual with Maria is what unlocked her hidden power. Only problem is Richter interfered before he could enslave her mind.

So how do you unlock the original Rondo, anyway?

Booya
    http://www.persona-world.net/cve/dxcunlockables.html

I used this site because there are quite a few music tracks to collect in addition to Original Rondo and SOTN

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man, I had to look up how to get the second maiden. That was so stupid. This is old style Castlevania, I don't let anything live. If you're on-screen, I assume you're going to try and knock me into water. Plus I don't think the solution is available your first time through because I certainly didn't see "it".

That said, I just got my ass handed to me in the last stage. Last boss spoiler follows.
    Dracula just destroyed me with his bat beams and blood stabs after he went into... Dracula mode. I will defeat him though! I kind of wish they showed this form in SotN but they don't. They just stop at monster form. I wonder why.

Gilder on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I'm stuck on stage 4, so I'm doing what I did before and exploring earlier levels.
    I found a maiden in stage 3' who thought Richter was God... WTF, game? Made me laugh, though.
    It seems like you can get away with using way more hearts in this game, so I like to grab the cross-boomerang or the axe and hold onto them, then just use subweapons to take out all the annoying enemies in the air. The same strategy works with Maria, especially if you have the red bird or that green dragon lizard thing. The red bird's item crash is damn near game-breaking; I'd already beaten the werewolf, so I went back and did it with Maria just for laughs, and it makes that fight a total joke.

Also managed to find the unlock item for SOTN. So that was nice. Still haven't found Rondo or "Peke," the silly loading level thingy.

Finally, if you don't want your head to explode, go directly to that persona-world site for info on the unlockables. The GameFAQs board makes my head hurt more than usual. At least 75% of the posts are "HA U THINK GAEM IS HARD NUB GO PLAY DS OR HALO" over and over and over again. If these guys have such godlike skills, I'd love to see a video of them playing something like Super Kaizo World, without savestates, all the way through, as small Mario. If everything is so easy.

Norfair on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    One of you guys should totally do a Let's Play on this game, Gilder's complaints make me believe that he'd be perfect for it :lol:

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man, I had to look up how to get the second maiden. That was so stupid. This is old style Castlevania, I don't let anything live. If you're on-screen, I assume you're going to try and knock me into water. Plus I don't think the solution is available your first time through because I certainly didn't see "it".

That said, I just got my ass handed to me in the last stage. Last boss spoiler follows.
    Dracula just destroyed me with his bat beams and blood stabs after he went into... Dracula mode. I will defeat him though! I kind of wish they showed this form in SotN but they don't. They just stop at monster form. I wonder why.

Spoiler response:
    ... they added another transformation to Dracula? D:

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Timestones wrote: »

Spoiler response:
    Oh, was that not in the original? I'm trying to finish the remake before trying the original one. Because he goes Dracula, Monster, and then basically God Dracula after you get all the maidens and defeat Shaft's ghost.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Timestones wrote: »

Spoiler response:
    Oh, was that not in the original? I'm trying to finish the remake before trying the original one. Because he goes Dracula, Monster, and then basically God Dracula after you get all the maidens and defeat Shaft's ghost.
    Yeah. That's new all right. In the original the battle is over once you beat the monster form. Damn, that's eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil.

Timestones on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh God, stage 5.

Welcome to every castlevania game, ever. ;)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game is humiliating. My first game I died twice to falling in running water pits in level 1 and twice to the first Axe Armor in level 2 because my brain refuses to accept that Richter can't duck high axes in this game.

Oh yeah, my first Castlevania was Circle of the Moon. Guess this is life before games got easy.

edit: I can't get past level 2 on Viewtiful Joe normal difficulty either.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cjeris wrote: »
    This game is humiliating. My first game I died twice to falling in running water pits in level 1 and twice to the first Axe Armor in level 2 because my brain refuses to accept that Richter can't duck high axes in this game.

Oh yeah, my first Castlevania was Circle of the Moon. Guess this is life before games got easy.

Not being able to duck high axes threw me for a loop too. Too much SOTN I think.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cjeris wrote: »

Oh god the water pits.

I totally thought they were just sewer grates with running water or something there for window dressing. And then you have actual holes in the ground that you can jump down in the same level. It was a bit mind boggling.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hahaha! Yes! I have defeated the final stage! I may have died 8 times when I was no more than 3 hits away from victory, but I have done it!
    Screw that blood blob Dracula fires out and his blood spikes. And then combining his blood blob with his blood spikes and his fire from the ground?! Good god Konami. Nobody can dodge all that.

Now I have to get the good ending again as Maria so I can hear the lines she gets. Oh boy.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The original Rondo is goddamn dark.

Like playing Circle of the Moon again.

Elendil on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Quick, stupid question - what the hell button do I use to transform into Mist? I swear I used them all.

Graviija on
  • Options
    GageGage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    Quick, stupid question - what the hell button do I use to transform into Mist? I swear I used them all.

Try both shoulder buttons together. I remember seeing one of the form changes mapped to L+R in the SotN options.

Gage on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Gage wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »

Try both shoulder buttons together. I remember seeing one of the form changes mapped to L+R in the SotN options.
    Yep.

Fun fact: Mist no longer toggles, and cannot be remapped. Interesting way of toning it down.

Elendil on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game pushed me over the edge, and I ordered a PSP. Got quite a few games with it, but this will be the first I'll be playing. Played SoTN like once over a friend's house, and haven't been able to score a copy since then. Finally get to play it, along with a good looking game as well.

Biggest problem is, I have a buddy at work who owns a psp, but no good games, so him hearing I ordered one, along with like 12 decent games, he thinks I'm gonna be his personal blockbuster.

Shame I won't be able to help him out. I only lend out books, not games.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, Death isn't as bad as I expected. But his stage sucks. I just keep taking it nice and slow, and putting the game down whenever I feel frustrated (thank you, quicksave). Trying to rush through just puts a big "KILL ME" sign on your forehead. I should have known this, but my old-school gaming skills are so frigging rusty. I always feel like a dimwit when I die, because I always know what I *should* have done right after it happens. Except in boss fights, then I figure it out when I watch the boss demos. :/

Norfair on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    The clocktower stage (particularly the long collapsing bridge with swarms of bats) is gonna be the death of me.

By the time I make it to the boss, I have 1 life left.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Norfair wrote: »
    Man, Death isn't as bad as I expected. But his stage sucks. I just keep taking it nice and slow, and putting the game down whenever I feel frustrated (thank you, quicksave). Trying to rush through just puts a big "KILL ME" sign on your forehead. I should have known this, but my old-school gaming skills are so frigging rusty. I always feel like a dimwit when I die, because I always know what I *should* have done right after it happens. Except in boss fights, then I figure it out when I watch the boss demos. :/
    I'm having the opposite problem. I can get through the stage without much difficulty, but Death is kicking my ass. He's not all that hard, really, he just won't fucking bite it.

Also, where the hell is stage 4'? I've looked everywhere.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If i remember right in Stage 3' when you get to the part with the pits and the spiked balls on chains you need to break the second one and drop down that pit.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    If i remember right in Stage 3' when you get to the part with the pits and the spiked balls on chains you need to break the second one and drop down that pit.
    Ah. God, mixing secrets with instant death pits is fucking evil.

I beat Death. He's not all that hard once you learn when to keep your distance and when to close in. Now I'm stuck on Shaft. Christ, he's a dick. No pun intended.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    In a lot of stages if you climb stairs from a screen below a screen with pits those pits will drop you back to the previous screen not to your doom.

And are you fighting Shaft or his ghost i always found Shaft in stage 6 easy because his attacks are not hard to dodge at all.

BigJoeM on