As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel costs and reviews for PAX south

13»

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    Well, I, for one, love Denny's! :) And it is a long drive for me to get to one, so perhaps I'd love it less if it didn't take 90 minutes. :)

As for hotel costs, if you're looking for bare minimum cheap, there is a lot of camping open around San Antonio in January, and it ranges from $20-$60 a night. From what I can tell (Hopefully a local can chime in), nights are just above freezing and daytime is 15 C/60 F. Despite this you can still tent camp (again, cheap!) if you want as most sites have electric. Just bring a $10 fan heater. And yes... all the campgrounds I checked have showers, so no excuses. FWIW, it seems most places are fully booked for Feb 1st night, but that shouldn't be an issue so long as you leave Feb 1st in the morning. I hear the rodeo fills up the campgrounds!

If I were going alone I'd definitely be up for some camping! Sadly, I have to consider the others in my party and they may not be as enthusiastic about it as I am. Also, electricity is cheating.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • shepdshepd Registered User regular
    shimwood wrote: »
    If I were going alone I'd definitely be up for some camping! Sadly, I have to consider the others in my party and they may not be as enthusiastic about it as I am. Also, electricity is cheating.

If I could IDKFA real life, I would. ;)

• PuritysanPuritysan thePuritysan San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    So, I'm a San Antonio native, and I attend a convention known as San Japan.
    The con has been using the grand Hyatt for the last few years.

Well, last year, they though a wrench 1 month before the con and implemented a wristband and 4 per room max policy.
    And okay, okay. I understand the 4 per room max is a HOTEL policy, I get that.
    But it was the wrist bands they turned people sour (including me, yes). To get UP to the hotel rooms (using the elevators) you HAD to have a wristband.

So I dunno if they've implemented this for ya'll.
    But I wanted to give ya'll a heads up, just in case anyone was trying to put more than four people to a room. Cause the Hyatt is expensive.
    And.. yeah.
    Just a warning.

m2bd3Je.png
  • killatiakillatia Registered User regular
    Puritysan wrote: »
    So, I'm a San Antonio native, and I attend a convention known as San Japan.
    The con has been using the grand Hyatt for the last few years.

Well, last year, they though a wrench 1 month before the con and implemented a wristband and 4 per room max policy.
    And okay, okay. I understand the 4 per room max is a HOTEL policy, I get that.
    But it was the wrist bands they turned people sour (including me, yes). To get UP to the hotel rooms (using the elevators) you HAD to have a wristband.

So I dunno if they've implemented this for ya'll.
    But I wanted to give ya'll a heads up, just in case anyone was trying to put more than four people to a room. Cause the Hyatt is expensive.
    And.. yeah.
    Just a warning.

I hope that they don't do the wristband thing during PAX South, do not want anythign to sour my first PAX experiance.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    It would be tough. We don't book out the Hyatt completely, and there are people there just on business who probably wouldn't put up with that. I myself am not using the onpeak reservation system so show up in their system as a non-con person.

• jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    From what I understand, the San Japan issue was the substantial number of people attending the convention that were not registered guests of the hotel. Basically the effort was to keep people who were not guests on the floors with the convention, and restrict access to elevators on those floors. Pax South is a significantly different situation, because we have many more guests at the hotel than San Japan.

jj4th on
  • LynbmwLynbmw Registered User regular
    Be sure to check AirBNB and Couchsurfing for rooms or even a couch or bed to borrow within the area. There are other sites like those too. Be sure to ask the owners if they can give you a ride to the convention center and if not, maybe people can pick you up or you can use Lyft.

• pragmanicpragmanic Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Sheraton Gunter. It's not an "official" hotel but it seems close enough to the convention center if you don't mind a 15 minute walk, it looks like they still have rooms available, though they are much pricier now ($172/n) than when I booked it for $119/n. :(

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I just canceled a single at the Marriot Riverwalk. You'd have to call the hotel direct if you want it since we're well past the OnPeak window.