As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Titan [chat] - Immortal Throne

19495969798100»

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Someone doesn't need to think they can successfully fend off the entire US military apparatus. They can correctly point out that being armed and organized can, in local settings, deter governmental action (and if you say no the ATF is just afraid of bad press from Waco and ruby ridge- that doesn't exactly undermine their point, considering they were armed). If some local dea branch is corrupt, living on a compound with a few friends and having guns actually can totally do the trick.

I see your point, and you're not wrong.

I'm just saying that if the doomsday scenario where the government bans guns that many pro-gun folk seem to think is coming happens, you're not just going to be able to scare the corrupt DEA branch into taking your money and not asking questions.

You will eventually have the honest-to-god military roll up on you and demand compliance with the law of the land as is your duty as a citizen. And I mean in the case of a compound unless you're throwing multiple millions of dollars into fortifications and have a small army of your own they can probably take it without even rolling out heavier ordinance than artillery and APCs.

Just like what happened with Cliven Bundy

oh

wait

I think the Cliven Bundy thing kinda exposes the issue with the whole argument. Cliven Bundy gets away with it because his ideas (specifically "Fuck the feds, I have guns!") have significant political support. Without that, he'd be rounded up like an armed black kid in an urban environment.

Ultimately without broad political support for some sort of gun repossession, it won't happen. And if you have that kind of broad consensus, Cliven Bundy style tactics are useless.

Those guns to protect yourself from the government are either not gonna work or aren't gonna be needed. At most they will work in a sort of middle ground where all they really let you do is commit crimes with no clearly defined victim.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Is Gumtree an international thing? I tend to think of it as "the Australian Craigslist" but I'm sure I've heard British chatters mention it before.

We have it here. I assumed it was Irish because it's awful and no ones ever mentioned it internationally before.

Well I'll be damned, it's a UK thing originally, made to connect Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans in London.

so it's still essentially a weird antipodean creation

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Antipodean is our word

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Antipodean is our word

See also: skip.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm glad master of none got watched by seemingly everyone right away. three kids in one of my classes did their finals on it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I got my computer desk on gumtree.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    gumtree is moderately popular in Singapore, it is a little edged out by tech-oriented forums

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Someone doesn't need to think they can successfully fend off the entire US military apparatus. They can correctly point out that being armed and organized can, in local settings, deter governmental action (and if you say no the ATF is just afraid of bad press from Waco and ruby ridge- that doesn't exactly undermine their point, considering they were armed). If some local dea branch is corrupt, living on a compound with a few friends and having guns actually can totally do the trick.

I see your point, and you're not wrong.

I'm just saying that if the doomsday scenario where the government bans guns that many pro-gun folk seem to think is coming happens, you're not just going to be able to scare the corrupt DEA branch into taking your money and not asking questions.

You will eventually have the honest-to-god military roll up on you and demand compliance with the law of the land as is your duty as a citizen. And I mean in the case of a compound unless you're throwing multiple millions of dollars into fortifications and have a small army of your own they can probably take it without even rolling out heavier ordinance than artillery and APCs.

The salient scenario, imo, is not 'the 4th Reich takes over and we depose this new mecha-hitler' but 'the state suffers serious difficulties and enters a crisis moment and at that point we and our friends can become significant local warlords.'

The middle east right now seems to support the idea that area awash in small arms can be difficult to subjugate and control, even by modern armies, once an effective civil war is underway.

I mean, I think this is a really important reason to now have small arms everywhere, because state stability is important, but it does lend some credibility to some of the rambo-type visions.

The whole point of this thought exercise is that this is what would happen.

Yes with enough guns, enough people, enough training, and you guys fight hard enough you might be allowed certain pockets, but you're not going to just get to live in your same old house, go to the grocery store, and oppose the law of the land.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm trying to remove the fantasy from these people. There are some folks out there that would relish an opportunity to make war on the U.S. I suppose.

My tact on this debate is trying to convince other pro-gun folks that somethings gotta give, and if they don't budge they're probably going to end up getting the doomsday blanket gun ban they fear. And on that day, you better be ready to give up a lot of comforts and privileges to keep those guns.

Also I highly doubt that the military would run into quite the same problems operating in our own country that they run into in the Middle East, but we're getting close to a GST on this and I'm about to go to bed.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I recall remarking on this here forums that the federal govt should not make concessions wrt Bundy

it is true, of course, that making concessions would be consistent with making concessions to secessionists, sovereingtists, nationalists, etc. more generally just because they're particularly aggravated about something

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    replace all guns with racks of delicious barbecue ribs

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You can tell when a shop is advertising wares on Gumtree because its proce often has another zero.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    why does everything hurt

I do not want to have to take painkillers to sleep :(

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    replace all guns with waifus

the true nuclear option

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    replace all guns with racks of delicious barbecue ribs

pew pew becomes chew chew

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    You can tell when a shop is advertising wares on Gumtree because its proce often has another zero.

10 times more expensive? wow

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    why does everything hurt

I do not want to have to take painkillers to sleep :(

:bro:

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was careening by at warp 5

@Regina Fong will create the new thread
    @Eddy is backup

This discussion has been closed.