As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

196979899100102»

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Actually, it feels like Syndicate has more future stuff than Black Flag or Unity as far as pushing the story forward goes.

Unity had any future stuff? (Seriously, I can't remember anything other than Rebecca saying a few lines for the alt-time climbing segments)

Unity had the Rifts that took place in the future, but that was about it.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Unity had:
    "Hey now you've started this Abstergo game we're hacking you into the real history"

"Play as this guy because we want to find this other guy's bones"

"Oh no a security wossname, quick, jump into these setpieces"

"OK the bones are in a massive ossuary so we don't need to do anything about them GG"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Still playing it and I have no idea what the hell is going on in Unity.
    Arno's foster dad dies who apparently was a templar so Arno decides to join his worst enemies (whose entire mission is to destroy templars) to avenge him by killing other templars. What? He's going to honor his memory by exterminating his order? What the fuck?

Also everybody seems to just inexplicably and casually know who the templars and assassins are for some reason.
    It's less honouring his memory and more straight-up revenge. Arno's real dad was an Assassin killed by the Templars, and his foster dad was a Templar who was on peaceful terms with the Assassins, also killed by the Templars. Joining or helping the Templars at this point wouldn't be the obvious choice.

Just got the grapnel/harpoon/I have no idea what they call it in this game in Syndicate. Enjoying it more than Unity, but the combat is feeling kind of annoying sometimes. Most of the time I get a clear warning that they're about to attack so I can counter, but sometimes I'm whaling on a guy and he hits back with no chance for me to counter him.
    What's the difference between the different weapons/weapon stats? Stun, Lethality and whatever the other thing was?
    Has Arno always known about the templars and assassins?

I had assumed he had no idea but it doesn't seem really clear with how quick he seems to get into the thick of things after his foster father died with not a lot of questions asked.

I assumed he got the lecture while he was in prison, and they figured we wouldn't need to hear all of that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Having to run certain missions in Unity multiple times (like helix rifts and co op missions) to unlock everything is...pretty dumb.

I don't mind it with the rifts, they're pretty fun and quick but I got no interest in doing co ops over and over again.

You don't have to do that to get 100% in the progress tracker, right?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Having to run certain missions in Unity multiple times (like helix rifts and co op missions) to unlock everything is...pretty dumb.

You don't have to do that to get 100%, right?

I don't recall having to do any missions multiple times to unlock anything?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    IIRC various pieces of gear only drop from certain missions and are rewarded on completion. Not sure if there was anything to really unlock other than a matching set of equipment.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm playing Unity also myself. And after finding a coop mission I could actually finish solo (screw you mission that required a lockpick skill at the end that I didn't have), I got 1 item out of 3. I could only presume I had to run the damn thing multiple times for the rest.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Syndicate question (possible spoilers):
    Is there any way to get maps for the collectibles in WW1? I've found all the glitches, but there's 3 chests I'm apparently missing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I don't believe there is. Also nothing for the letters in that section or for the Victoria letters. It's frustrating, and I ended up looking up guides for the last couple of those.

I don't think chests give anything for 100% besides relief from your OCD, though.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Quick question concerning the gang upgrades: what's the point of Dispatcher, which does something with fire engines (make them available in poorer boroughs, I think)? So far, I've seen some fire engines in the game, but I haven't yet found any specific use for them.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Anyone playing this on the PS4? Seen a deal on amazon and wondering if I should double dip on it seeing as I have it on pc but can't play it there.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Anyone playing this on the PS4? Seen a deal on amazon and wondering if I should double dip on it seeing as I have it on pc but can't play it there.

I played it on PS4 and it works just fine. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Brilliant, ordered!

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The framerate gets a bit bad in certain areas of London, but otherwise it's totally fine.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    That's only realistic. It's the same in real life. Walking down Westminster to grab a sandwich at Pret? I barely hit 20fps. It's pretty well documented that reality has some bad memory leaks.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    That's only realistic. It's the same in real life. Walking down Westminster to grab a sandwich at Pret? I barely hit 20fps. It's pretty well documented that reality has some bad memory leaks.

I walk to work with my coworker who lives near me, its about a thirty minute walk, the last part is uphill, I swear that hill is a huge drain on processing. Our conversations tend to hitch more.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    First image from the new movie with Fassbendy:
    2jea38.jpg

I was wondering if they were gonna go with Altair and it looks like it going from the garb and the knives. Though his facial hair is more Ezio. I wonder if they'll keep in the Desmond plotline or just drop it like the games did.

It's during the Spanish Inquisition so

It ain't Altair or Ezio

New Assassin

Whaaaat

Not sure how I feel about that

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Que?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I bought rogue.

Rope darts can pull people down for free again.

Among the many enemies this allows you to instantly kill by pulling them over and doing a single ground stab, I will list for you within this spoiler tag the ones that this did not work on, including every boss I've met so far, captains, those axes guys, you know all the enemies you can't just counter to death.

Okay so here we go! This is every enemy I cannot instantly kill with the rope dart for free!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    They can't make a new game based on old characters...

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Prince of persia: the movie: the game was actually pretty good, though!

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    Prince of persia: the movie: the game was actually pretty good, though!

I liked it better than the crappy reboot

edited December 2015
    The Forgotten Sands was fine

The world needed a sequel to '08, though, which in retrospect I probably enjoy even more than Sands of Time

EDIT: I just realized we are both A) way off-topic and B) two pages past 100

UnbreakableVow on
    Nobody wants to make the new thread lol

edited December 2015
    I suppose I'll get on that!

Or not, both my computer and Imgur are being super-fucking-stupid tonight and not letting me get any shit done

UnbreakableVow on
    Look, I'd make it , but I'm like three games behind. There's just no point. I'm too out of the loop to really know whats worth updating or whatever.

I can make a new one tomorrow, it probably won't be fancy since it's gonna be from my phone

edited December 2015
    Doesn't matter. You'll have months to make it as pretty as you like.

So I've been playing around in Rogue and there's a whole fucking npc social interaction system in this game you can manipulate to your advantage.

Like the gangs. You can do stuff like make one of them go berserk and go crazy fighting the others, the kills will cause nearby npcs to run away shouting guards guards and this isn't flavor fluff they really do bring guards.
    The guards and the gangs will usually start fighting, giving you a distraction.

Another thing I did just now was throw one of those little barrels from a roof. It rolled quite a distance and then exploded. All the enemies searched around where it had exploded. They didn't beeline for me like they used to.

You can also use the firecracked to blow up barrels to draw people over to that location.
    Or worse, set a firecracker NEAR a barrel, then shoot another one at the barrel.

I think my favourite bit is when I berserked a dude, he went nuts, he's running off into the distances, finally he dies. I just waited, and eventually two guards came jogging over to where he was. Not me, I was two blocks away.

They went to the location where the berserk guy died.

This game.

Is.

The best assassin's creed game.

Just because of this system.

You can set up fucking plots and schemes to get enemies to fight each other, or distract them, or just cause a big hullabaloo over there, and then go the other direction instead. It's crazy how good this game is.

Morninglord on