As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2016 Forum Badge

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in PAX East
Well as promised I would return to this thread to share with you what the top two favourite badges will be following the voting in the New year. 36 votes were cast and I thank everyone for chipping in their opinions, it means a lot and also aids in the community led process of making these badges a reality. So without further ado, here are the results:

Kickstarter - 17%
Let's Play - 19%
Free to Wear - 28%
Early Access - 31%
MOBA - 6%

This means that the top three are Early Access, Free to Wear and Let's Play.

Here are the three mock up prototypes for each forum badge type. Please vote and make comment on them. I shall be adding rear images soon, but the front is somewhat more important as that is shown off more than the back of the badge.

Let's Play Channel:
160102%20PAX%20EAST%202016%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Type%201%20Rev%20A_zpseihudjju.jpg

Free to Wear:
160102%20PAX%20EAST%202016%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Type%202_zpswtapgzqu.jpg

Early Access:
160102%20PAX%20EAST%202016%20PA%20Forum%20Badge%20Front%20Type%203_zpsa2hj50oy.jpg

Original post hid beneath spoiler below:
Every year each PAX gets its own badge and unique design. For PAX Prime 2015 we went for Atari VCS box. For PAX East 2016 I have the following suggestions for the PAX Forum Badge:

1) Kickstarter Badge - Fictional crowd funded badge that will have all the trappings of Kickstarter without actually having the stress of getting funding in the first place.
2) Let's Play - The rise and rise of YouTube and Twitch is something that has impacted us all, this badge will be a kind of channel for all of us forum members.
3) Free to Wear Forum badge - While its technically free to wear and own the Forum badge there will be some micro-transaction related stuff on the badge as a means to poke fun at this funding model.
4) Early Access Forum badge - Partially finished badge that barely passes as one.
5) MOBA Forum badge - 3 channels, two bases and two teams, what could possibly go wrong? Oh I dunno....EVERYTHING!

Let me know what ones work for you by responding to this message and I'll pick the top 3 to develop into draft images. We'll then vote to see which out of those three we go with. Over to you, you amazing community of fun loving people you!

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I'm torn between the Let's Play and Early Access themes, but since a choice has to be made I vote Let's Play!

• Introvert2001Introvert2001 Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    I like the Let's Play Badge idea, because YouTube gaming led to my discovery of PAX!

East '15, '16
    East 2017 Tickets? Check!
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I vote for Kickstarter!!!!

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Early Access!

• mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    I like the Kickstarter one best :)

• nosutnosut MA, USRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of the Early Access badge.

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I like the Early Access one myself ...

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm torn between the Early Access and the Free To Wear.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    i am good with whatever ...

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    I like the free to play badge. Another idea though is the DLC/Season Pass badge. It's a regular badge but you can get expansions for it or bundle it all for one low price. I'm kinda going off the free to play idea but it's just a thought that came to mind.

• AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    Free to Wear says me!

• rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    I like the Free-to-Wear. It'll be nice to have a laugh about something so ridiculous, and I'd love to see what you come up with in that department.

SK3ozR5.png
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I know that normally the badges are free, as they are made from card stock and all, but...

I would pay for a plastic forum badge, one that looked like a real plastic ID badge, like a work ID or a ski pass ID, with my forum picture on the ID.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like the Early Access idea.
    I also like Free to Wear, especially if one of the microtransactions is "$0.99 - Official Cookie Brigade Cookie"

hsu wrote: »
    I know that normally the badges are free, as they are made from card stock and all, but...

They are free to us, but Kropotkin put$ in more than just time and effort to make these available to the forum members.

As always, you rock @Kropotkin!!!

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Such great ideas! Free to Wear might give the most room for humor but, to be honest, they all sound promising.

5I7JEDi.png
  • eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    I like all of the ideas. Each has its own charm, so sorry for not helping with the decision.

0j92muX.png
  • InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    I'm torn between Let's Play and Early Access. Maybe a rendition of them going head to head? I've got this year's badge hanging on my wall right now =)

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
    I wish I grabbed last years badge. I know my name was on it but i forgot all about getting it once the excitement of PAX set in :P

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    I like the Early Access & Kickstarter ideas. Loved last years badge.

• A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    Early Access Forum badge would be good!

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Many thanks for the feedback all, it's most appreciated. The deadline for making a decision on the top three badges that will be considered is the 1st January 2016. I shall tally up the votes and declare which ones will get a prototype developed for it. After that another round of voting will select the winner.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• BrigzZBrigzZ Registered User regular
    I like the Let's Play idea!

• iltailta Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    These are all great ideas and I'm stupid excited about nearly all of them. Kropotkin, thanks as always for the time and expense you put towards this every single year. My Forum Badge is one of my cherished mementos of every PAX I've been to.

My vote is Free to Wear just because the excesses of that model so need to get mocked.

ilta on
  • pilotman996pilotman996 Boston, MARegistered User regular
    These ideas are golden!
    My #1 is Free to Play

#2 is Kickstarter

I mean, Free to Play needs to be mocked a bit here and there. Why not in a badge?

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • krovekkrovek Registered User regular
    Give us south badge

• dontdowditdontdowdit Registered User regular
    I vote for Let's Play!

pkJUKrD.png
  • hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    I like the Let's Play idea as well

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Early access!

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I like the Kickstarter one the best. :)

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Let's play sounds neat!

• The Real WillardThe Real Willard Registered User regular
    I like the Early Access!

• MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    can i suggest an alternative option?
    something in the vein of the defcon or torcon badges? but games related? maybe like a pax badge but built with micro EL wire like the dreadnought lanyards from last year were?

These are card stock badges. Similar to a post card.

I don't think there will be anything fancy like EL wire :)

Also they are available for free if I remember correctly. You just have to pick one up yourself at the con.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    edited December 2015
    well can always do pseudo-el wire? (single strand diffused fiber) and a led ? total cost would be roughly $2 if that? (prolly a lot less if parts bought in bulk)

Mechcondrid on
  • flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Votes for early access!

• nosutnosut MA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Requesting features that cost additional money be added to them is just kinda rude and greedy IMO. There is no crowd funding done for these that I am aware of. Just a lot of effort and time by @kropotkin.

nosut on
    nosut wrote: »
    Requesting features that cost additional money be added to them is just kinda rude and greedy IMO. There is no crowd funding done for these that I am aware of. Just a lot of effort and time by @kropotkin.

I don't know if everyone is aware that is independently provided to us by a fellow forum member, and not sponsored or supported by a company, etc. So this may just be a case of just not knowing.

edited December 2015
    oh i knew they did it of their own time, though i did not know they didn't charge anything for it i thought it was like a "drop a buck get a badge" type of thing where they just charged the cost of materials
    if i had know that i wouldnt have suggested the fancy stuff in the first place

Mechcondrid on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    oh i knew they did it of their own time, though i did not know they didn't charge anything for it i thought it was like a "drop a buck get a badge" type of thing where they just charged the cost of materials
    if i had know that i wouldnt have suggested the fancy stuff in the first place

This whole thing started with me wanting to give something back to the community. My first PAX was PAX Prime 2008 and at that time the forums were extremely active so I thought it would be wise for members to recognise each other while at PAX. That is how the forum badges came to be. I do not charge for them at all as that kind of undermines their purpose.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png